3/24/08 What other hobbies?

Caseymini

This question may have been asked before but I am semi new and would like to hear the answers. I got to thinking about it when Wolfie and Holly made a couple of comments about when you talk to non mini people and try to explain what you do.

What other hobbies do you have and do they translate into the mini world?

I do all kinds of needlework. My cross stitch and needlepoint seems to be pretty much all mini all the time now. :rofl: I do some crochet in mini but I can't seem to convince myself to knit in mini.

How about the rest of you? What do you do in real life and in mini too? Just curious.

Good question! I seem to be a serial crafter ... I don't do a lot of things at the same time but move from one medium to another. Right now I'm into miniatures, but am drawing on a background that includes teaching art, quilting, painting, drafting, stained glass, woodworking, welding, pottery, knitting & crocheting, needlepoint, storytelling, a stint on the historic prservation commision of a small northern Virginia county, a love of detail and a love of historically accurate detail, and I don't know what all else. I find myself drawing on all of it! :rofl:

i'm a bit like kathyb in that i'm just generally allround artsy-(maybe-fartsy) crafter, but i generally focus on making little dolls. i suppose it's little wonder that this might find it's way into miniatures eventually! i knit and crochet and decoupage and jewelry make and duct tape and watercolour and and and....

i'm sure if i could ever get a house to the ready to be furnishing stages this will all come in very handy!

Kathie, I love the term "serial crafter". May I borrow it? :banana: You have me on a couple of things. I don't weld or do storytelling. I was an art/ history of fashion major in college. I do have restoration in my background too. I did antique dollhouses for a lady here that has a museum. That was a wonderful experience. The oldest house that I worked on was an English baby house from 1775. I am with you on historical accuracy.

You're right. It's all in the details. :rofl: It's really fun to try things that you do in "big" in mini. Sometimes it doesn't work but you never know til you try.

I make jewelry with beads, knit and crochet, I've dabbled in needlepoint,basket-weaving, latch-hook, and playing around with craft foam etc, but haven't done much of those lately. I don't sew at all...except when forced to.

Building dollhouses is my passion, obsession and where my money goes.

Years ago I did tole painting. I sew, crochet a little, flower arranging. I like home decorating and scrapbooking and photo taking. I use alot of this in my minis. :rofl:

Well, I've been a sewer, crocheter, woodworker and decorative painter for years. I also make alot of jewelry, some polymer clay, along with cross stitch, and needlepoint. There is none of my crafting that I do, that I don't translate and make into miniature items. It really all works itself into the mini world...at least our mini world!

I make some of my furniture, but all of my curtains, doilies, bedspreads, afghans, rugs, bowls, etc. for my houses. My dh has a wood workshop right next to my craft studio, so we end up doing most any and everything for our real home, and all of my mini homes. It makes it that much more affordable, more fun, and more worthwhile to do, and enjoy!

I am now turning all of that into gifts for different family members; an old west saloon for one of my sons, a roombox of her life memories for one of my sisters, etc. Last year for Christmas, we gave 4 different mini houses, and it really has all become a passion for myself in partnership with my husband.

I'm a lace maker (mostly knitted shawls now, but used to do more crochet). I also draw (colored pencil and graphite). Both have been translated down in to miniature items at times. I've done very small cross-stitch in younger days, but that has grown harder for the middle aged eyes.

Kathie, I love the term "serial crafter". May I borrow it? :banana: You have me on a couple of things.

Of course you may borrow the term. I don't think it's original with me, but have no idea where it came from. It sort of took me by surprise when my fingers typed it! :rofl: I later remembered printmaking, book design. The latter, I think, plays into the overall "look" of a project.

Where to begin?

Crafts exclusive to minis: woodworking, cabinetry and carpentry; plastering & masonry, pottery (such as it is), metalworking

Crafts I haven't yet adapted to mini: scrapbooking (not a favorite, anyway), drawing, easel painting, tatting & stumpwork

Crafts I've adapted to mini: needlework (sewing, embroidery, crochet & knitting), sculpting, decorative painting, decoupage, upholstering & draperies, doll-making, thrift-store shopping, collage, papercutting (silhouettes, schittenschnirring - I can't spell that one) & crafting

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I like to quilt, x-stitch, I've made bobbin lace, and I have supplies to try a lot of different things. I think I'm a bit ADD when it comes to crafts. I tend to start something new before the old thing is finished. I have enough X-stitch patterns that I'd have to be about 150 years old to finish them all. And there are baby items for babies who are teenagers now. :rofl:

I guess I'll join the "serial crafters". I have built dollhouses and dollhouse furniture for as long as I remember, but I have continually searched for my "talent."

I have tried knitting and crocheting - ended up making things for my dolls. I tried ceramics, made a vase, a rose and then made a dollhouse, and dollhouse furniture. Took up woodcarving. I did do OK with that - carved some birds and dogs and then started carving miniature stuff. Took lessons on drawing and painting. Painted a portrait of my niece and then got frustrated when I couldn't paint in miniature. It seems everything I do, I return to my first love - miniatures. I may not be talented, but I have fun.

Oh, I am currently learning quilting from a local quilting group of wonderful women. I am working on a full size quilt, but I bet I end up with a lot of mini ones!

:rofl:

Elaine, have you seen the quilts that the japanese are doing in mini? They are making 1/4" bias strips and weaving them into quilts. I have photos of a couple of them out of a book so I don't know if I would be allowed to post them on here. They are wonderful. One that I have a pic of is woven in three directions and ends up being a diamond star quilt in an all over pattern. You could easily do an all over 9 patch. I may have to try it myself just to see how they look in person. Want to join me? :rofl:

I would like to see how people use their hobbies in their miniature scenes. Anybody got photos of those? :p

Quilting & crocheting (furniture is from kits):

med_gallery_8_988_153441.jpg

Sculpture, sewing (dolls & their clothes), needlepoint: med_gallery_8_988_120363.jpg

More sculpting, sewing & needlepoint; wicker: med_gallery_8_988_239687.jpg

Cabinetry (kitchen table & chair), carpentry (various shelving), embroidery ("braided" rug): med_gallery_8_151_43083.jpg

Carpentry (bar & barstools, table), embroidery (rugs), masonry (fireplace): med_gallery_8_151_43083.jpg

Actually I keep up with the full-sized projects as well as minis. I just finished a full-sized crossstitch picture that's at Utrecht's for framing (and then I'll see if I can get pictures of it) and I'm starting another; I have two afghans sort of not-quite halfway and a pillow cover I finished stitching and now need to sew together.

Elaine, have you seen the quilts that the japanese are doing in mini? They are making 1/4" bias strips and weaving them into quilts. I have photos of a couple of them out of a book so I don't know if I would be allowed to post them on here. They are wonderful. One that I have a pic of is woven in three directions and ends up being a diamond star quilt in an all over pattern. You could easily do an all over 9 patch. I may have to try it myself just to see how they look in person. Want to join me? :lol:

Maybe I will. First I'll finish my big one. All the "girls" are pushing me.

I have dabbled in many crafts over the yrs. my favorites are the ones with instant gratification!

I think thats why I enjoy building so much....it doesnt take much to have a whole house to decorate.

nutti :lol:

Elaine, have you seen the quilts that the japanese are doing in mini? They are making 1/4" bias strips and weaving them into quilts. I have photos of a couple of them out of a book so I don't know if I would be allowed to post them on here. They are wonderful. One that I have a pic of is woven in three directions and ends up being a diamond star quilt in an all over pattern. You could easily do an all over 9 patch. I may have to try it myself just to see how they look in person. Want to join me? :lol:

I also like to quilt and sew in RL.

And I have made a quilt in that japanese technique you speak of for my dollhouse.

Wonder if it could be the same book??

2362634896_c24fa56f9f_m.jpg2361803191_3e7475f19b.jpg

Rita! That's the one! Yours is fabulous! Did it take long to finish? I only saw photos of the quilt similar to yours. How do you fold the strips and was I right? Are they about a quarter of an inch?

I am so excited to see that someone finished one!