Or New Addition

kellee

Adorable!

I like "Sammy". In the South she'd probably have a double name like Sammy Jo or Wally Mae. My Mom's sisters all had Mae or Bo tacked on to their names. Wasn't always on the birth certificates or headstones, but it was a term of affection. I work with a Willie Mae.

She is doing great, but she is driving us all nuts at night.! She cries and whines somethng awful.! SHe is only 6 weeks old and should have stayed with Mom another few weeks I believe. I am going to make a call to the vfet today to see if she might have some interesteing ideas.!

Kellee

Just got back from the vet, and we have bad news. Sammie has a hernia, can be fixed when she has her spay surgery but we cannot afford it the hernia surgery..

Kellee

Kelly my dog has a hernia. She's a Bichon 13 years old. We never did anything with the hernia. She never had a problem with it, so we just left it alone. She's always been active and we were not told by the vet that it needed surgery.

Thank you all so much.. Monday afternoon when I get home from work I am going to call a few other vets and ask them about it. I am making my husband get a few opinions on surgery on his back so that is what I am going to do with her. I am really upset over this as I know it is going to break my youngest sons heart. I just know we cannot keep her if she has to have the surgery, we are barely getting by as is so I cant possibly afford this too. Please say a prayer.

Kellee

Ask around and find out how long this can be left alone. Let`s say they tell you a year..then you have a year to save the money for the surgery. If Sammie is showing no signs of pain then you may not have to do anything about it...like others have said.

Check to see if you have a Animal Welfare League in your area. That is the organization (dont know if every state has one) that offers low cost spay and neuters..Shots are usually included. I was able to get MonsterFace fixed and shots for $35. I know he is a cat and their surgeries are cheaper then dogs but it could save you are least $50 in the long run.

I forget how much it cost to have the dogs fixed. It has been so long. Probably in the neighborhood of $150 but that included the visit.

well, I have called everywhere and the surgery including spay runs between $50. just for the spay and $700.00 . I could never afford that.! It is about the size of a small sweet pickle. she acts fine but the vet says that it needs done before she is 4 months old. I wont have the money then either... unless I hit the lotto.! I am beside myself right now.. Zach (My youngest) is really upset over this. Vet says the hernia will either strangle itself and she willnot be able to go Poopoo. OR her intestines will come out her behind. Either way she will die.! Honestly I am going to probably have to take her to the dog pound. My oldest is really upset over that. What would you do if you knew you could not afford this . I just paid $30.00 for her first set of shots.

Kellee

Oh Kellee, it really stinks that things cost so much, when a beautiful little life is at stake. I keep seeing on TV how many people have had to leave their pets at pounds because there is no money any more to feed the family, let alone a pet.

There is something very very wrong with this economy, and nobody seems to be too worried about fixing it.

Last week I kept bouncing in and out of the emergency room with the flu and pneumonia. The hospital told me that I was to sick to go home, because we are too far from a hospital, but without insurance they couldn't admit me. I had to keep staying at the Holiday Inn so I would only be five minutes from the emergency room, and I had to have a wheel chair, because I couldn't walk more than a few steps without collapsing.

I don't know where we are heading, but it is really really scary.

I found a low cost clinic that will do both surgerys for less than $200.00 ! BUT I am having second thoughts on keeping her.. We are struggling beyond struggling right now. I just started working and Hubby is not able to take care of her all day while we are all gone at work & School We do not have the money to pay for both surgeries, and shots & all the other stuff. I am seriously thinking it would be better for her & us to find her a new home. Please tell me what you would do, I feel so horrible about this.

Kellee

Kelle,

I am so sorry you have to deal with this dilemma.

It is a lifelong expense to have an animal. There are alot of things you have to pay for that do not even include an emergency surgery like you are facing.

You have to get their rabies shots (first shot is good for one year and then the next years shot is good for 3 years and so on), Spay or neuter will cost $100 and up depending on where you live and if you can find a low cost clinic. Then there is food, flea treatments (3 months of the good stuff cost $30.00 a package), heartworm treatments have to be given every month in the spring and summer, annual checkups will cost $50-100 a year depending, grooming if you need that to be done, dog license, chew toys,etc etc.

I am totally not telling you not to keep the dog but just letting you know that it will be something you will HAVE to add to your budget if you keep the dog.

Is there anybody you know that would love to have a dog? A neighbor? A friend? then you can get visitiation rights.

I sound like the devils advocate but I wouldnt want you to be stressing out everytime you had to pay for something else you couldnt afford.

((((Big Hugs))))

Heidi

Heidi. EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

we have an amazing dog Maddie , you remember her looking in the dollhouse!!! :)

and it is a ongoing expense! She is so sweet but I amlooking at the expense! and I really hate that.!

kellee

I have had animals in my life..all my life. I add the expense of their monthly care into their budget. Now as for emergencies I would have to pull a rabbit out of my backside to pay for that.

If it is a younger animal and it needs expensive surgery I would pay it and suck up the expense. When the dogs and cats are elderly, I do not go to extreme measures. I love them all to bits so do not take this the wrong way. I was never brought up in a house where my parents spent thousands of dollars to save an animal.

I guess if I had the means..I would do it for sure. I am very glad that others are more fortunate to be able to afford the surgeries that some of their animals have to have. But I do not so I have them gently put to sleep for their next adventure over the rainbow bridge...but that is older animals!

If you have the $200...Do it! If you can beg borrow and plead for the $200 do it! That is an amazing price and you shouldnt pass it up.

Kelly, I agree with Heidi $200 is a great deal.

Having said that, I sent you a PM on April 5 but I don't know if you received it.

Essentially what I said was that my cousin,who has very little money, has a credit card called CareCredit that she uses for vet bills.

She says there is no interest as long as the bill is paid off within 6 months I know lots of vets in my area take this card.(I'm in Ohio too)

CareCredit has a website if you are interested and you can also checkthere to see which vets take the card.

I sure hope you are able to get the little doggie's surgery done.

I was told about the care credit from a vet as well, I have seriously thought about getting it and may do so ... just for emergencies.! I found a wonderful spay/ neuter clinc here that is willing to do her surgery for a 1/4 of the price the regular vets were quoting me.!

I am still trying to decide what to do about her. If I do the surgery Noone is going to adopt her for that price... but I feel like I have to KNOW she has had the surgery.!

kellee