What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I've been attempting to work on the interior of my BH, but RL keeps getting in the way, both fun and not so fun things, and of course my pesky job keeps getting in the way :) But I guess thats how I'm paying for all my minis! I picked up some silicone caulk to seal the brads on my tapewire connections, I only had 3 areas to splice becuase I folded wherever I could. Soon the weather will be cold, and it will be dark earlier, therefore forcing me inside the house so I can finally get stuff done on my BH. Its been over 2 years now, but I'm not in a hurry to finish it, but I can't wait to see it when its finally done!

Tiara had surgery to create a fistula in her arm for dialysis, so I've been helping her out with all the two handed tasks and anything heavy. She has some numbness in her hand which may or may not go away and can't move her wrist much because of pain, but she's on the mend.

if anyone has cable TV and watches Discovery channel, there is a segment on 'Mystery diagnosis' (EST) tonight at 10:00 that will feature a child who suffers from Langerhans cell histiocytosis. Our youngest son was diagnosed with this 9 years ago when he was 8. Always good to see a spotlight on this disease because it's so rare and gets very little research money to find a cure. We have hope. Kellan has done well and we keep fingers crossed he won't have a reoccurrence.

Tiara had surgery to create a fistula in her arm for dialysis, so I've been helping her out with all the two handed tasks and anything heavy. She has some numbness in her hand which may or may not go away and can't move her wrist much because of pain, but she's on the mend.

if she has swelling that could be part of the problem...make sure she keeps her arm up on a pillow at or above the level of her heart whenever she is sitting down somewhere. the swelling is very common with fistula surgery and also with graft placements and the numbness usually improves after a couple of days to a week. over time if it doesn't then what can happen is the new fistula may be routing too much blood away from the lower part of her extremity (hand) and they sometimes have to go back in and modify the access. it's called "steal syndrome" meaning the new access is stealing away too much blood to the lower extremity. too early to say, like i said with a new access, the pain is common due to 1) having a surgery 2) swelling. so...if she has swelling and once it goes down, the pain and numbness will subside. over the counter pain meds like tylenol are good to help some of the discomfort. also her dialysis center can provide a squeeze ball....when she's sitting watching tv, if she squeezes the ball in her hand it increases circulation and it also helps in the fistula maturation process. in the meantime she can try opening and closing her hand as tolerated to help. if she has ongoing problems she should call the surgeons office to see if they want to do an evaluation. ....in most cases, the pain and numbness are gone within a couple of days.....

Yep, I'm the one in the big dress. It was my Mom's. Thanks. It was an awful sticky humid day and so a brave choice to wear in summertime SC. This was a winter wedding dress, but we were in love and had to make the schedule for married housing at the university, so August it was.....

I love the photo of the guys, looks like a 70's prog rock band posing for the photo for the back cover of their album.

We're home again. We went over on Thursday and hit one of our favorite thrift stores, the Sheriffs' Boys' Ranch thrift store in Live Oak. Friday the weather was WET so we spent the day in Gainesville and stopped off in Live Oak on our way back to eat BBQ ribs at our favorite restaurant there.

Saturday we got five miles into a 30-mile loop ride we've done before (and enjoy) and the back tire went flat. Since we started putting kevlar-belted tires on our tandem bikes we nearly never get flats any more; this was a leak that developed at the valve stem of the tube! Our trip-leader is a bicycle mechanic, and she fussed the whole time she was helping us take off the tire because she hadn't brought any spare tubes (I reminded her we hadn't, either); anyway, the patch she put on the hole held once we re9nflated the tube until we got back to the campground.

Yesterday AM we did another 5-mile ride on our singles, to see if I could still ride my tricycle, since I haven't ridden it since the tendonitis attack a year ago. No problems, so we can try to work in some more road rides when the weather dries off and cools a bit.

Anyway, the weather started grubbing up again, so we came back and spent the rest of the day in Valdosta.

I'm adding a review of the three books of miniatures I found!

Moved my desk to the hobby room from the study (where it never got used) and tidied a few bits. I'm hoping to put the scroll saw in there so I can use it.

Back to work today, hope it is a much better week.

We are keeping an eye on the Weather Channel. Hurricane Bill is out in the Atlantic and it`s projected path is coming really close to my neck of the woods.

Crap! I have so much stuff that will have to be dragged inside and put in the basement.

We have not had a hurricane here in CT in many many years. Go away Bill!

We had our first Tropical Storm Saturday night and I guess Anna is chugging her way towards us.

The repairman for our water heater was here and spent an hour figuring out it's what DH & I figured out it was on our own, only we got to pay him to tell us. Hopefully he's going to get the replacement part to fix the !##@$%!! thing.

It's been hot here lately. We're not used to hot. It certainly wasn't hot in June and July. It wasn't exactly hot last summer either. We often put in a window airconditioner in the family room, but didn't bother this year. Now all the fans are blowing, trying to suck some cool nightime air into the house.

My daughter is coming up on Thursday. She'll keep her brother company and watch the house while DH and I attend the trade show. I asked what she wanted for dinner when she got here, she said chicken fried steak. My grill has a burner, I think I'll take the big frying pan outside and cook.

I am looking into once a week and once a month recipe sites. I'm sick and tired of cooking. It was never my favorite thing, and now that it's always that DH prefers one thing, DS prefers another, and I just don't prefer much of anything anymore. Plus, I hate cleaning up the mess.

When I get back I'll see which of my recipes could work well for freezing.

My Colonial America blog site has 4 posts now

A Bit About Furniture <LI>Early American Food & Drink <LI>Early Artificial Light <LI>Early American fireplaces and Cooking

http://colonial-american-life.blogspot.com/

It's been almost pre-winter here for the last couple of weeks, but good news is NO FIRE SEASON! We've had cold rains almost every day. Anyway I'm feeling better and back on my feet, the infection is gone, and I'm working on dolls, dolls, dolls! I'm sorry for the delay in working on them, those of you who took advantage of a mold for a doll, but it couldn't be helped and I apologize. However, be a bit more patient, things are happening, dolls are getting ready to be shipped, some are still in dressing mode, and some extras have shows up as well.

I just woke up from a 10-hour nap. The travel and time zone adjustment knocked me out. When we got home, I sorted out the mail, did a grocery run, and unpacked. Lloyd, bless his heart, did two weeks' worth of laundry. He was ready to set out on the trip to Colorado, but I put the kebosh on it. We really need some down time.

Our trip was wonderful. We dubbed my 86-year-old uncle the Energizer Bunny. He didn't run out of energy until the last few days. :D

While in the Czech Republic, we visited with relatives that we knew about, and I found some relatives I didn't know I had, descendants of a granduncle who I thought had died childless in WWI. My head is still reeling from the experience. Cousins kept arriving by the carload. There were at least a dozen there by day's end. I need to process the photos to make a head count. Most of the older cousins don't speak English, but they have children who do and who are internet savvy, so we can get better aquainted.

Did not find any mini shops and did not have a chance to get inside the Toy & Mini Museum at Prague Castle but did bring home some ceramic furniture -- a chair, table, and a small trunk with interesting designs -- and a few beads to make lamps.

I took tons of architectural detail photos and have several ideas for the Pierce/Bohemian Inn. One major item will be adding thickness to all of the outside walls. All of the windows need to have deep sills.

It's now 4:30 am and I'm wide awake. I'll be glad when my inner clock resets itself.

Good morning, Kathie, and welcome home! I can't wait to see your photos! What a wonderful chance to meet up with family, especially foks you didn't even know you had.

Paddling club meeting tonight, I want to pick up a few groceries for the week this AM and maybe get the camera in for film processing today.

Oooh, I think photo developing is a very good idea Holly! There are pictures on there I'm waiting to see :D

I get to go back to the pharmacy where I trained tomorrow as a pharmacist. I think they are particulary missing the work I did as I was full time and wasn't replaced when I left. I am working upstairs though I think, checking residential home prescriptions, so won't see many customers. It'll be a nice change of scenery.

Think we both can't be bothered to cook. Or rather Chris was going to be out, but now isn't, so the frozen pizza I bought won't be suitable for him to share (he doesn't eat tomato anything) and I can't be bothered to find something for him and he can't be bothered to cook :flowers: So we'll go out somewhere and find something. Local pub i think.

home early from work to recoup from doc visits yesterday. The back pain is pretty bad today, but we are short staffed, so I made it through to cover lunch hours. Got home and son2 helped paste the tens machine electrodes over the sore area. Feeling some better. Made my appt for bone density test. Its heck getting old, but FIL used to say it's better than the alternative.

Helped Kellan bake homemade 'fruit rollups' from fresh strawberries and blueberries and about to make a pound cake. Our library staff is celebrating with a 'back to school/we lived through the summer' party tomorrow, so son is sending cake. Making Ritz cracker chicken casserole tonight. NOT a healthy dish, but good comfort food and some ingredients are 'light'.

Today is muggy muggy hot! Rain chances go up tomorrow and by end of week we may have lows around 87 during the day! Tomorrow school starts. Kellan's Senior year! Last kid to send through public school.

Played with cousins on Facebook. Now I'm going to see how knitting goes. Doc said no activities involving hunching over, since c7 is the worst disc. That makes drawing a challenge

The film processor was messed up where I get the best consistent service, so we're waiting on the tech to get it fixed. The grocery trip was wonderful, lots of our faves were on BOGOs and they got in fresh catfish fillets, so our larder is once more stocked.

I spent a good bit of the day reading whilst waiting for the glue to dry on the Lighthouse's brickwork.

We had a spate of rain earlier. I hope we can skip the rain for a while tomorrow, so we can go ride our bike & trike and get my old joints loosened back up.

Tonight is our paddling club meeting, so we get to find out where some of our friends have been dipping paddles lately.

Two firsts today. I had a shot at making a vine for my Garfield out of wire and air drying clay. This is the first time I have ever opened a packet of clay and I found it quite difficult to cover the wire. I have a feeling that it will not be a very resilient vine when its dry so I did another using papier maché. Never in all my years have I done anything in papier maché, not even as a kid, had to look it up on-line to find out how you do it. The second vine looks as if it will withstand a bit of a storm so I might have something worth using.

They are both sitting in the conservatory drying out but I fully expect a cat to have dragged one around the house by morning.

I added a roof to my french windows on the side of the Garfield too, its taped on as we speak so by morning it should be well and truly glued on there. I like it and it personalises the house a bit. I'll post some pictures when I have done a little more work on that side of the house.

Night all

Jo

I am just bushed this week. two more days of work then i'm off for the weekend!

i really need to mow the yard but definately not up to it after working a long day.

Off for a shower and dinner!

Besides hoping for some rain from the hurricane (I'm in Texas but I can dream can't I!?), I think I'm going to help the girls get their school supplies all together and finish up shopping for some last few back to school clothes before all heck breaks loose with tax free weekend tomorrow. Then it's off to Kindergarten orientation :) , time flies soooo fast when you have kids of your own. Then it's back to school Tuesday which means back to work for me! Summer is officially winding down, I'll be glad to be back in routine, but sad to see our long summer days together come to an end. :(