What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Woke up to a snow and ice storm with more lake effect snow predicted for tomorrow. Lots of high winds last night and more predicted for tomorrow as well. We always get a lot more then down in the valley. We were supposed to go to the eye doctor for a status check but it is an hour's drive away so called and rescheduled. Too many accidents on the thruway for me to fell comfortable.

Will do some grocery shopping later today.

I'd like some of all you people's snow!! Send it over here! lol

I should be baking Chris' birthday cake tonight, but can't be bothered :wave: It is a day or two early (birthday is saturday), but tomorrow night is work christmas party and friday night is tidy up time. Will just have to do it while I tidy on friday! Will try and do some tidying tonight so I've got more time friday.

Gotta decide what pretty things to wear tomorrow to our christmas do. I have about 10 minutes between getting home and heading back out again after work, so it has to be quick and simple! Wonder if I can do my makeup when it quietens down at work tomorrow... Hmmmm. Pharmacist with half a face made up handing out prescriptions... not so professional I guess! :wave:

The sun is finally trying to come out this afternoon. Fred and I ran our errands. My feet were wet and cold..even my butt was wet and cold. I came home and got into my jammies and slippers.

I am glad we did not get the snow that others had gotten. I am not ready for it yet/

I am just trying to stay warm! We are breaking cold temps all over the place here in the Northwest and I am typing in gloves. It's supposed to get down to 6° tonight here which I know is not cold to you guys that get snow all the time, but with just a space heater to warm this place, it's just a wee bit chilly at night now. I was going to put a small pool outside this summer - I think I'll make it a hot tub and I'll install it indoors! :wave: (and not to worry, I have a regular heater - just trying not to turn it on because of how much it costs to run it)

Kelly,

Take it from somebody that lives where it gets cold normally....Please turn on your heat. I know it will cost you some money but the cost of repairing frozen/burst pipes will cost even more.

It stopped raining finally. Holly..I know...I know. It was slushy and Fred helped me. I appreciate all the help the family gives me. I know I thought that they might not step up to the plate..but they have. Even the smallest things help. Like picking up something that dropped on the floor.

Next week will be a month. I was told by surgeon that I should wait a month and a half before I even THINK of going to the gym or attempting to bend over.

L caused a bit of a stir at the oral surgeon's office. It seems it didn't quite register with them when I told them over the phone that he'd been bleeding for a week. They cleaned out the sockets and repacked them, prescribed more pain pills and medicine for nausea (from swallowing blood), and a mouth rinse guaranteed to stop the bleeding. The solution was hard to find. One of the nurses and I were on the phones for a half hour calling every pharmacy with compounding pharmacists within 80 miles, none of which carried it. I even called our vet to see if she might use it in her practice. Found it at The Medicine Shoppe in Marshall, of all places. Not in stock, but they can order, have it here in a day. However, they want $700 for a pint of it. L called the surgeon back. End result: he'll keep pressure with the gauze and rinse with the salt water and medicated solution he already has. They'll check with him tomorrow to see how the bleeding is. If it's stopped, no problem. If he's still bleeding, we pony up the $700. Life is not dull here. He goes back to the surgeon on Monday to be checked. I'm wondering if this will delay our departure for Houston. We may not be able to stop in Tulsa after all, but maybe he has a miracle cure in his near future. <typing with fingers crossed>

Heidi - thank you for being concerned, but it has to be a lot colder than that for the pipes to freeze. The closest I came was last year when we had snow for a week and I turned on the faucet and only a trickle came out. The landlord has told me if it gets that cold again to just turn on the faucet, which I hate doing even thought I don't pay for water, but I will if I have to. I did try to turn on the furnace this morning, but it won't go on. So now I have two space heaters going! :wave:

Kathie, I wonder if Loyd takes any meds that could contribute to the bleeding problem (like blood thinner?). Surely you don't need a whole pint of this stuff!

Heidi, it won't hurt to take it easy on the bending/ lifting for at least three months; take it really, really slow. You'll still tire rapidly for a while, even once you get back to moving normally again.

Another quiet day at home, I made the rightsideout Fairfield's tower's third floor a servants' bathroom/ utility room. Next is to make little "brass" beds and folding screens and bedside tables & shelves. We took a couple of hours to run to Wally World to replace expired topical meds for our First Aid kit and get DS#3's giftcard.

Holly, Lloyd takes coumadin/warfarin because of his metal heart valve. He went off of it 5 days before the procedure and I've been giving him Lovenox injections in the stomach twice a day to bridge the gap between ending the coumadin and starting it up again. He seems to have gotten through the night with only moderate oozing that was controlled with pressure (a thick roll of gauze clamped between his jaws). Keeping fingers crossed that this is the beginning of real healing.

On a brighter side: X overslept this morning and missed her ride, so I ventured out into the crack o'dawn cold to take her to school. On the way home, I discovered the donut shop was open, so I stopped and bought a few. Lloyd can eat donuts if they don't have nuts or sprinkles, or so the "menu" from the oral surgeon says. Will cut in small pieces so he can moosh the bits against the roof of his mouth and not have to bite into them, but I'm sure he'll appreciate them when he wakes up. This shop opens at 4 am, closes when they're out of donuts. It has been there (about two blocks from our house) since last summer; this is the first time I've gone by when it's open. We're not early birds.

<smacking lips and licking fingers as I type>

I am taking it easy. But I am able to do more then before. I picked up the girls from school. That is the first time since i had surgery. I cannot drive the Jeep yet though. My back and legs are not strong enough.

I still have troubles on the stairs. Some days are better then others.

I bought Perla a Snuggy today..you know those things that have on tv. Nat and Fred made fun but she is not trying to take it off so that must mean she likes it!

Well, the day went ownhill after this morning's post. L's gums are still bleeding. We had to go to Blue Springs, about 60 miles west of here, to see the surgeon. The surgeon's office called to check on him while I was taking X to school, and he told them all was just fine. He probably spat a teaspoon of blood into the phone while doing it. Then didn't tell me they'd called. So I was waiting to hear from them, finally called them at 11, knowing they close at noon on Fridays. Ha. Not today. They waited until we got there, near 12:30.

The surgeon and I about dialed our fingers down to nubs trying to find a particular mouth rinse that would help coagulate the thin blood. Finally managed to get through to the coumadin clinic at the VA in Columbia, which is about 70 miles east of here. Long story short, I have to drive to the VA pharmacy in the morning, leaving at 0 dark thirty or thereabouts, to get the coagulation meds and more Lovenox, the twice-a-day-shot-in-the-stomach med that he needs if he isn't on the coumadin. Oh, joy.

He has strict orders to spend the weekend in the recliner, getting up only to go the bathroom. No talking, no rinsing his mouth, cold, liquid foods preferred, keep a damp gauze clamped between his jaws until the bleeding stops entirely. He persists in talking. I have threatened duct tape from ear to ear if he doesn't keep his pie hole closed.

I am exhausted. He takes catnaps, and I wake up whenever he's awake. Trust me, 6 or 8 catnaps a day doesn't equal a good night's sleep. It didn't help that on the way home I got stopped for speeding, which I rarely do. I was concentrating on getting back home and wandered over the speed limit at just the wrong time.

Sorry for running on ... thanks for the ears. :wave:

DH ran "business" errnds today so I stitched 1:24 rug & watched DVDs and let weensy utility sinks dry.

If Perla watches TV she probably thinks she's hot stuff, looking like the other people in the ads. DS#2's chihuahua thinks she's people when she isn't imitating a mastiff.

Kathie, I think it's a guy thing...

I had my afternoon planned: do a big pile of laundry, clear out the stuff I've got piling up in my guestroom, and wrap presents that have to be mailed out.

Instead, I spent 4 hours trying to remove a malicious program that got on my son's computer. It's called AntiMalware, and it's vicious. It started popping up warnings about worms and trojans on his computer, and that someone was using his computer, etc., and then this screen kept popping up to get the removal tool. It looked like something from Microsoft, but I was pretty sure it wasn't.

While struggling with it, I did some research on it.It actually puts the bad stuff on your computer itself, then wants you to pay them to get it off. It stops AVG, Avast, and all sorts of other antivirus programs from working or downloading. We were using Avast on my son's computer, but it wasn't working. I removed it. I removed the AntiMalware program, after several tries I got AVG on. Twice it told me that it couldn't work properly because AntiMalware was still on my computer, even though I thought I had removed it.

AVG removed the trojans, but then another warning popped up. I checked around, and downloaded SpywareDoctor which scanned the computer. Well, it found more of AntiMalware's little buggers, but it wouldn't remove them til I coughed up $30 to register the product. At least I know Spyware Doctor is a reputable product, and it says I can use it on up to 3 computers.

I found instructions on how to remove it myself, but they were pretty involved, and I could have totally trashed the computer if I removed the wrong line of info.

Hopefully my son's computer is now clear.

Well, at least I got out of cooking dinner. What I was going to make was going to take too much time. DH said he'd be satisfied with takeout chicken.

I still need to do laundry, though. The clean clothes are running low around here.

The grands have arrived and all is chaos. The first thing the GS did was get into the sprinklers and get soaked. So he is in our bed watching tv while his clothes dry and GD is chasing the cat and dumping all my cup towels out of the baskets. Looks to be a fun evening. I'm through mini-ing for today!

I'm getting weary of posting about our medical drama, but that's about all we're up to these days. Drove the 140-miles round trip to the VA in Columbia today to pick up some magic mouthwash that's supposed to help the blood clot, but after several hours of use, it doesn't seem to be helping. Poor L is stuck applying pressure with a roll of damp gauze between his jaws and using ice on his lips. I just spoke with the oral surgeon who says he's gone about as far as he can go. He says if the bleeding hasn't subsided by morning, we need to get him to the VA emergency and let them check him in, so his coumadin team can figure out how to handle this.

Blood chemistry is about the most mysterious thing I know. I'm ready to try cobwebs

The lore dates to the first century A.D. when spider webs were prized as wound dressings. They even found a place in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream: "I shall desire you of more acquaintance, good master cobweb," the character "Bottom" said. "If I cut my finger, I shall make bold of you."

Oh, Kathie, I'm so sorry Lloyd is having such troubles with his bleeding. And you're right - blood is some of the most complicated and mysterious stuff out there. All through the 1980's I was a secretary in the biochemistry department of a major university (U. of Washington), to start for the dept. as a whole and then for a specific research group, and the biggest research group in the department had their entire focus on understanding blood clotting factors, with several other researchers in related groups getting their funding from the NIH or wherever to investigate what makes blood work. It's one of the most complicated substances on earth, apparently.

Saying a prayer that Lloyd's clotting factors and platelets start behaving themselves.

Saying a prayer for Lloyd...

Spent the whole day yesterday Christmas shopping, was very succesful. Kids put the tree up. Took pics of my finished Cranberry, posted them in my album. Looking forward to another day of shopping tomorrow, then will be done with that.