What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Muriel, when I'm making soup I use what's called 15 bean mix. It's really 15 different kinds of dried beans. Good stuff. and I usually season it as the recipe below, just make it 'soupier'!

Now, when I make BEANS (all capital letters-lol!)for my family, I use dried pinto beans. Soak them overnite, cook in slow cooker all day on high. Add a can of Rotel tomatoes (diced tomatoes and green chilies), Worchestershire sauce, Liquid Smoke, diced onions, bell peppers, ham or bacon, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper, sometimes a dab of brown sugar or maple syrup (not much), plus whatever else sounds interesting when I open the spice cabinet.

I use smoked ham, or even better, a pork loin. When it's all done, the meat should be in shreds.

There are two ways to serve this:

1. on a big slice of jalapeno corn bread with salsa on top, or better: a layer of tortilla chips, a layer of beans and pork loin, followed by shredded lettuce, shredded cheeses, fresh tomatoes, a little guacamole, a lotta picante sauce. This is my family's favorite meal and DH and 2 sons could eat a cooker full in one meal.

Today I'm heading out to a quilt shop that has the the ambience that I'm trying to capture for the mini quilt shop. I plan to take photos if they'll let me. One feature especially is that they have a "workroom" area without having a separate room. I want to see how it's integrated into the rest of the shop.

Finals start today so Natalie will be home around 9:30am. I have a few errands to run but not much. Bean soup sounds good for dinner. I can pick up a ham steak at the store for it..and Goya sells bags of the 15 bean soups. I will just have to boil them for an hour and let them soak for a bit beforehand.

Make some nice corn bread. Yeah..I think that is what is going to be for dinner!

Sounds wonderful, Heidi and Sherry, especially the cornbread. I'm weeping a little about the cornbread - not long ago I found the Jiffy cornbread mix, LOVE it, and now I can't use it anymore.

Well, it turns out I really do have celiac disease and therefore can't have anything that has gluten in it. Goodbye wheat, barley, rye, oats - spent yesterday looking through my pantry, reading labels, and then passing on what I can no longer use to friends. A whole unopened 5-lb bag each of white and whole wheat flour, rye flour, brand-new bag of oatmeal, JIFFY CORNBREAD MIXES, stuffing mix, canned beef stock (you wouldn't believe what they sneak into those!), and several containers of a really good homemade beef/barley/mushroom soup out of the freezer, among other things.

Pantry's not quite bare, but it does need restocking. Guess I'll have to check out some gluten-free cornbread mixes - at least they ARE out there!

My bean soup is based on a recipe that my dad made as a cook in the Navy years ago. Nothing complicated about it, Navy beans, ham hocks or bacon (or the bone from our Christmas ham) an onion, a couple of carrots, tyme, and pepper. No salt since the ham is salty enough. Been cooking all night and the ham has pretty much come off the bone. Should be ready by dinner time. The cornbread sounds like a good addition. Will have to see if I have any mix in the cupboard!

Clever and imaginative people I have a question for you. I'm always amazed at the great doll and house names you come up with. I have a friend starting a cake making business and she needs a great name. She'll be making wedding/celebration cakes. Her name is Lucy. She'd love your input when I mentioned how great you are at coming up with names! Any ideas?

The Jiffy Cornbread Mix is fantastic! And simple to make Mexican cornbread from it. I use finely chopped jalapeno slices (about 5), finely chopped onion, about 1/2 can of corn, and lots of grated Mexican cheese. It is sooo moist! If there's more than just 2 of us, I make two batches as my bunch will just about eat that for desert!

I subbed again today for another 1st grade teacher. The one I worked with the first three days of the week was fantastic, the kind of teacher you'd bribe a principal to have for your kids. The one today? If I discovered one of my grandkids was in a class with a teacher like her, the principal would hate to see me coming-I would threaten him with bodily harm if he didn't get my baby out of there! Sad to know that there are actually women like that in teaching, they give us all a bad name.

I subbed again today for another 1st grade teacher. The one I worked with the first three days of the week was fantastic, the kind of teacher you'd bribe a principal to have for your kids. The one today? If I discovered one of my grandkids was in a class with a teacher like her, the principal would hate to see me coming-I would threaten him with bodily harm if he didn't get my baby out of there! Sad to know that there are actually women like that in teaching, they give us all a bad name.

Sherry, I've seen some of both as well. And it is a shame. There was a teacher in a school I serviced one year that I couldn't stand to be in his room. I would literally go and take the computer out of the room and take it somewhere else to work on it. I have been fortunate that my kids have had pretty good teachers for the most part. It's nice too that I sometimes have work in their classrooms and could drop in anytime, so I get to see what's going on. Except Lawson who no longer attends the county schools. I admit I feel a little helpless knowing I can't go in there and see sometimes. I like being nosy.

I have much more trouble with the school principal of my youngest than his teachers :( . I am going to try and avoid her while he finishes grade 5 and then does grade 6, then he will be off to another school. I have heard via the grapevine and directly from several parents that she (the principal) is not liked by many to say the least. I had a run-in with her two years ago when my daughter was in grade 6, now I avoid her like the plague. Fortunately, my son's teacher is fine, so I only deal with her.

I am alllllll alone! WooHoo!

Tonight is my MILs 60th birthday party. Chelsea had decided yesterday that she was going to go. This shocked me! Chelsea...get blasted out of the house to go visit with his side of the family???

Then today when Fred got the rental car, Natalie decided that she was going to go also.

Is this a gift? I get the leftover BBQ ribs and Peruvian rice, I dont have to share, AND I get the computer and tv to myself!

They left at 5pm est and will not be home until way after midnight.

I am going to do something really glamorous. I am going to wash the dishes! Oooo!

hehehehe

Went to the county stockshow, I had forgotten how much fun large dusty barns full of hay, animals, and kids are. We did that for so many years! Since DS2 runs the farm supply store, he goes and buys the animals from his customer's kids. Anyway, we're home now and back to doing laundry. I need to do some ironing tonight, and maybe work on my lr floor some more.

Making dinner today while Fred watches football. BBQ chicken wings, rice pilaf, and salad I thought up in my head at the store. Baby spinach, red onion, sliced roma tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese,and a vinagrette.

I washed the door of the fridge. I do not know if I have the stamina for the inside yet. I will try it shelf by shelf.

As long as I get some of it done, I will be happy.

Making dinner today while Fred watches football. BBQ chicken wings, rice pilaf, and salad I thought up in my head at the store. Baby spinach, red onion, sliced roma tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese,and a vinagrette.

I washed the door of the fridge. I do not know if I have the stamina for the inside yet. I will try it shelf by shelf.

As long as I get some of it done, I will be happy.

I was grouchy with Chris today. We chatted last night about what to do when today so that he'd get his marking and planning done but then we'd still have time to do something in the afternoon like go to the very nearby wedding fair or to the hobby craft shop about an hour away. Well he dawdled and didn't do his work and read his book instead, so the day just seemed a bit wasted. Got annoyed at him not getting on with it and he got annoyed at me reminding him to go do it again. So just in a bad mood and depressed now! I'll have to have a look around the gallery and see what can cheer me up a bit.

Painted some windows for Bullwinkle Terrace, but got a bit bored of that too, so still got 3 double windows to go.

Tomorrow got loads to do so won't have a chilled out do my own stuff day tomorrow either. Gotta get rid of lots of recycling - the car will be full to the brim again! Also gotta go to the bank and see if I can get hold of the caterers. Should book my car in for a service, but sounds like too much to do already so might just put that off for a week. Then it is home to a tip of a flat (he also said he'd tidy the sitting room today and hasn't done anything about it! It is all his stuff making it messy)

Maybe I should just go to bed and get up again tomorrow hopefully feeling better!

Yikes! Sorry to hear about that Muriel. Can completely sympathize -- hope the Gallery section helped in providing some cheer!

BF and I went out (he felt a much better and was getting stir crazy at home) to do a pet supply run for our ratties, then took him to lunch since he was craving some Chinese food. Then he asked if we could stop at our local animal shelter to see the doggies. We found a female rat that's available for adoption and after mulling it over, we submitted our application. Now we have to check with our leasing management if they'll approve it. They know we have rats (heck, they've come over a few times to see the girls), so hopefully they'll be okay with. Hopefully Shallot (the one we're hoping to adopt) will keep our girls company (since our babies are 15 months old -- they only live up to 24-36 months).

Might clean up the dining room some more, and maybe take a nap on the couch with the BF -- he's already passed out there already! :(

Feeling better this morning :) Am sitting here in my jammies and cozy new fluffy baby pink dressing gown though, just had breakfast and watching Diagnosis Murder. Happiness. And not thinking about all the stuff I am supposed to do today! my excuse is that I want to pick up some take away chicken for dinner tonight, so rather than going out this morning and getting it all done I'll go out this afternoon so I can pick up dinner on the way home.

Think I'll finish reading forum posts and then try and get the last windows done for Bullwinkle Terrace. Might print some pictures and send them to the lady I'm building for so she can see the progress.

I'm off to sub again today for jr. hi math. It shouldn't be as tiring as 1st grade! This afternoon I will go on the day care hunt for DS2. Their daycare closed in November and they have been using a babysitter, but she needs to be in daycare. Much better for her to be with other 2 yr olds and learn to play nice!

Last night some friends surprised us with a blackberry pie, an apricot cake, ice cream, and birthday plates and napkins to celebrate my birthday early. It was a nice surprise. :)

Kitchen floor Moped, Bathroom floor Moped.!!! and I am supposed to head up to home depot for those little gas grill card holders.!! I have 1 on hold.!! hope it is what I think it is.!!! LOL. I think I heard from you all that it is dollhouse sized.!

Then I guess I will help Youngest son work on his model car and oldest son work on his model engine... Hmmm, If I ever figure out how big I want the saloon I could cut the wood for it.!

kellee

Taught jr high today and got out at 1:40 since the teacher had conference period after that. So I got another piece glued on my house, fixed taco salad for dinner, and painted the verticals for the bay windows. And it's still early!

fixed taco salad for dinner,

I had taco salad for dinner last night. Mine is usually more salad then taco.

Well, the house next door (on the other side) is empty now. She has not been around since Christmas. Someone has been coming around the check on the house. We had been speculating that maybe she went somewhere for her job??? Well, her brother (and friend) came by the other day and took out her bed and some of her furniture.

So that makes 5 empty houses on our street! There are only 13 on the street total. It is sad. Really sad for the fact that almost half the houses will eventually occupy new neighbors. The whole dynamic of the neighborhood can change. It is such a quiet, sleepy little dead end street. I am going to be positive. Maybe there will be some great people that come in the future.

I am waiting for Fred to wake up so we can walk the neighborhood. All the snow and ice have melted so it is a good time to get some real walking in. He was up for it, so we will see. LOL

RL work is the first thing on the agenda for today. I have to work late so I most likely wont get any mini-ing done today. Maybe I can squeeze some time in after dinner tonight. I have a couple little things I can try and finish up. Sorry I can't give any details on the projects, but the house they are being made for is not here yet and I don't want to jinx myself by going into too much detail about it. Let me tell ya though, the minute I recover from the shock of actually having the kit in my hands, I will be here to give you all an update!!!