What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Yesterday did not get any real miniing done. I had to accompany DH to the hospital for some out patient surgery and then play nurse when we got home. He spent most of the afternoon and evening sleeping from the anesethic while I did some quiet type house work. Did manage to do some more sanding and painting on the french doors for the Montclair.

Today I have been cleaning out my workspace and consolidating stuff. I usually put things together in plastic bins by projects but got very lazy over the past few months and it has been really chaos to find anything. I am finding stuff I forgot I had and even some duplicates. I think after I catalog and finish sorting I will have some things to offer for sale or trade. I moved out some completed projects and relocated them to my loft area and that has left me with some workspace.

Package arrived from uncle Ernie and I now have my flooring, sconces and a couple of other things. Will get back on working on the Montclair tomorrow. I also picked up some more french doors and have continued to work on them. There where two sets that came originally with the kit but they are not as well finished as the additional ones I ordered recently so I think I will replace them as well. I have also been looking at the stairs and although I have painted them white, I really like the idea of staining the treads and banisters and the rest white. I am having some difficulty in figuring out how to place a runner on a curved staircase. Has anyone had any experience and can offer any hints?

I worked yesterday so had today off instead. Made yummy pancakes with plenty of bacon for supper! :wave: Chris is on a trip for a few days, so trying to catch up on some laundry before he goes and then will continue while he's gone. A friend will be staying a night too, he's working nearby, so had to get the guest room ready - really it is the hobby room and needed floor space tidying :(

But very much enjoyed the pancakes, and made Chris have a go at learning how to do it too!

I started putting together my half scale lighthouse and have been amazed at how quick it went together. I LOVE it!! And I started my new job all this week. :wave: Thanks goodness now I have a few days off so I can finish the lighthouse and maybe I might clean my real house too.

But very much enjoyed the pancakes, and made Chris have a go at learning how to do it too!

I hpe he's a quick study! :wave: But at least you'll have the story of Grandpa's first fling with the pancakes to tell your grandchildren. *heehee*

Back from the doctor and yes, I DO have MRSA, but was already being treated for it from the hospital and the oral antibiotics they put me on, so no changes at this point. Except that he is going to schedule an MRI for me to be sure the infection hasn't moved into the bone - I'm enough better that that doesn't seem likely, but better to be sure. The doctor did a lot of trimming of dead stuff away from the wound and was VERY pleased with how much it had healed in the last several weeks since he'd seen it last, and that made me feel good. So, barring more infection, I see him every week (and believe me, I will!) to see how I'm doing, keep on doing what I've been doing, and hopefully before too long all this will be a dim, dark memory. :wave:

We took DH's truck in for 30K mile maintenance and went in to Tallahassee for breakfast and a bit of shopping on the way to take some stuff to DS#3 (he gets all the books we've finished reading that we think he'd enjoy, and he passes them around amongst his friends); we ended up spending the whole day! and will have to pick up the truck in the AM.

We've been invited to paddle the Apalachicola River Saturday and the Dry Creek on Sunday.

I have been busy with so many things that it is cutting in on my mini time. However, I did take a break & do a little work on the Country Cottage kit.

We found out that my DW has breast cancer & the tests found a second spot on her right side. We met with the doctor & he feels that it can be cleaned up in just a couple of weeks. She goes in next Monday for the operation & then the follow up treatments. Then things should be just fine.

I'll keep you all informed as things happen.

Steve in PA

Oh Mary, I am so sorry that you have caught MRSA. My Mother had it in her last years and Fred had to deal with it when he worked Environmental in the hospital. As long as they can keep on top of it when it rears it`s ugly head, you should be fine! ((((Big Hugs))))

Raining again today. I want to get yard work done but I do not want a bunch of extra heavy yard bags full of wet cut plants. Hopefully tomorrow. I think I will try to tackle the project I was working on for the Fall Tut for Deb. I wanted to step away for a few and then come back with a different perspective. I think I have some good ideas on how to fix the problems...Or I will just figure out a different Tut..LOL

I have 4 rock Cornish game hens in the freezer that I want to cook for dinner. Fred says he hates them. How can you hate a hen?? LOL

Sitting at my cube (looks like it's gonna be quiet here the rest of the week), nursing a huge cup of hot chocolate to keep me awake! I have websites that I could start hard coding its modules (forms, interactive flash, etc), but...is it just me, or the sudden cool weather on the East Coast is making everyone sleepy??? :wave:

Besides working on the Winston...Bryan and I are trying to introduce our first two male rats together. We took them to the vet to be neutered to reduce any aggression thanks to testosterone and we were given the green light in terms of when they can start interacting with each other (and with our girls -- we'd like to try to get all of our boy and girl rats to come out together for playtime). So far, our resident "giant" Calvin is so meek and shy against his much smaller brother Hobbes. Each time we try to introduce them (we use the bathtub as a neutral location), Hobbes gets so hyper that Calvin will try to jump out of the tub and climb onto his mom or dad's shirt. :( The animal rescue group we volunteer with is helping us, and warned that it might take some time before the brothers can start sharing a cage together. *sigh* Am hoping they'll warm up to each other in time for Thanksgiving!

Other than that...will try to tackle a couple of things this weekend:

1. Refinish a vintage cabinet to use in our living room

2. Cleaning the apartment -- and bringing out the fall/winter bed linens. Our apartment only has a communal laundry room, so I'll have to drive down to my parents just so I can use their HUGE washer/dryer to clean our sheets and what not (woohoo! free laundry!)

3. Pulling out the dutch ovens and crockpot -- Bryan asked if I could move the seasonal "Stew & Soup Saturday" to this weekend. Requested that I make this Iranian beef stew and some basmati rice to kick off the event...

4. Start mending this little vintage dress I bought on Etsy...we decided to tie the knot at the courthouse in February 2011 but have the formal ceremony in October 2011 as planned. We figured in case we decide to travel abroad, it'd be better that by then, all my documents have already been changed and I'm bearing my new last name. Plus, can start figuring out all other legal crud such as insurance and updating our wills.

Was thrilled to find this dress for about $22, but a couple of areas need to be restitched and replace the buttons. So will see where that goes...

I have been busy with so many things that it is cutting in on my mini time. However, I did take a break & do a little work on the Country Cottage kit.

We found out that my DW has breast cancer & the tests found a second spot on her right side. We met with the doctor & he feels that it can be cleaned up in just a couple of weeks. She goes in next Monday for the operation & then the follow up treatments. Then things should be just fine.

I'll keep you all informed as things happen.

Steve in PA

All the best to you mah san, keeping best thoughts for ya!

Mesen, nowt much, still setting up the studio, contacted some experienced folk and it turns out the computer I have sitting in a box should work just fine. Good to go. Added the keyboard drawer to the monster desk, course the cats love the desk, especially the 2 raised shelves, which is exactly where I'd planned on putting the monitors (speakers). Hoping the novelty will wear off soon.

Today I had to take a break on bashing my 2 pierce together and tend to my new baby oscars fish!! Both my oscar pairs had eggs I had to move them to the baby tank (this is so other fish do not eat them) and then tomorrow they will be free swimming and need to be fed 3 times a day!!!! I can't show you pictures yet because there soooooo small my camera really does'nt show a good pic but I thought maybe you fish lovers would like to see my 240 gallon community tank! Least you can see their eggs! http://s331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/we.../Fresh%20Water/

Oh I do here is a pic of me actually inside it when we got it and another of it full and the 55 gallon that the albino oscar are in we have to keep the oscar pairs seperate or they fight, we alos have a salt water tank I will open our album to that one too http://s331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/we.../Fresh%20Water/

Thanks! What a shot of you in the tank! I had a salt water tank when we were in California and just loved it. Would like to set up another, but in the Heartland there is little access to saltwater fish and it's more than 60 miles to our nearest pet shop that carries ANY fish (other than Walmart, and I would not trust the quality of fish bought from them on a bet).

I am off to wash windows this AM. I want to close up a few, get the Air conditioners out of the windows, and get ready to close up the house in a couple weeks for winter.

The sun came out for like 10 minutes and then hid back behind the clouds. Bummer!

When we were at UF one of DH's friends had a saltwater aquarium. He & his DW used to go to St Augustine every six weeks with snorkles and come home with new fish for it. Why? Because about every six seeks they'd end up with one VERY well-fed fish in the saltwater tank! and it was cheaper for them to get their own.

I am really scared about going under water but my sweetheart he LOVES to dive and snorkle he spends time taking pictures and looking at everything sometimes I wonder if he will ever come back up!!! We heard recently Carolina has a Lionfish outbreak but we really cant have lionfish due to that we have alot of shrimp and lionfish would eat them up!!! But the Lionfish sure is pretty!! Maybe when I get my dollhouse aquarium I can have one! :wave:

I opened the salt water album go and enjoy!

http://s331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/we...g/Salt%20Water/

Ahhchoo!

I have a cold. First one of the season. Yuck! I did get much yard work done yesterday but I do not know about today. I think I will stay inside and do stuff for fall cleaning in here. I had some Dayquil that still have a good expiration date (yay!) so i should be good in about a hour or so.

Do any of you go to the same lengths that I do for fall/winter prep?

I clean all the heating registers, clean the fans (pack away the portables) and switch the rotation on the ceiling ones, wash all windows and sills and storm windows....This does not even include the outside stuff. I will be starting to cover windows here very soon. I was thinking of doing it today but not with the way my head feels. I would just cover some of the windows and leave a few before it gets really cold. Just in case we are lucky enough to have another Indian summer. Probably not but I can dream.. :wave:

I want to cook something to warm up the house. I think first thing on the agenda is a big ole pot of home made oatmeal for breakfast!

I found a recipe! Going to do this instead of what I usually do...Off to cook now!

Perfect Oatmeal

Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2-1/4 cups water

* dash salt

* 1 cup regular rolled oats

* 1/2 tsp cinnamon

* 1/4 cup dried cranberries

* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

* 1 TBS flaxseeds

* 1 TBS blackstrap molasses

* 1 cup milk or dairy-free milk alternative

Directions:

1. Combine the water and salt in a small saucepan and turn the heat to high.

2. When the water boils, turn the heat to low, add oatmeal, and cook, stirring, until the water is just absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, cranberries, walnuts, and flaxseeds. Stir, cover the pan, and turn off heat. Let set for 5 minutes. Serve with milk and molasses.

Serves 2

Oatmeal in our house is always random and without recipe to follow :wave:

Made some banana bread muffins this afternoon! didn't exactly follow the recipe either, but did get the general idea from a recipe :D Can't be bothered to measure and weigh, want to get it done quickly! lol

Chris is back from his Class trip to France today, so cooking some nice meatballs, roast carrots, spaghetti and gravy, and apple crumble for dessert. Don't think he's fond of banana bread so thought I better make him something else yummy and the oven was on.

Chelsea is making me Ginger and Tumeric Tea for my cold. My friend brought me over some taco soup last night (that is going to be my lunch). The oatmeal was good with the molasses on it.