What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Jeremy, how wonderful! You guys must be so excited, enjoy every second :banana:

I've been working with my new fitness toy. It's called a Fitbit; I read about it on a blog I follow, and it seemed like a good motivator/tracker for me. I am a gadget junkie, and it's been quite helpful. It tracks everything, even sleep! I find it more motivating to "see" what I'm doing with a chart or graph. Plus it is specifically geared for my exercise of choice, walking.

Jeremy, how wonderful! You guys must be so excited, enjoy every second :banana:

I've been working with my new fitness toy. It's called a Fitbit; I read about it on a blog I follow, and it seemed like a good motivator/tracker for me. I am a gadget junkie, and it's been quite helpful. It tracks everything, even sleep! I find it more motivating to "see" what I'm doing with a chart or graph. Plus it is specifically geared for my exercise of choice, walking.

Sarah, I have a fitbit, have had it for about a year and a half. Cool little gadget isn't it?

Congrats on the house Jeremy!

I need to put on my bragging face again. :) Brennen got the Christian Character Award for his class at school. We are so proud. :)

• Like 3

Thanks!

The property is about 1/2 mile west of Jonesville, a mostly upscale community that sprang up about 5 miles west of Gainesville around 15 years ago. The "house" is actually a 1999, 1,716 sq. ft. double wide trailer on 1 acre. Not my preference, but thanks to the absurdity of banks making all their decisions based on arbitrary credit scores, there are very few properties we can get financed for. My credit score is low enough to ensure nobody will steal my identity, but I earn a bit more than my DW and pay most of the bills. I'm certain Bernie Madoff has a far better score than I do, but I'm more likely to pay my bills than he is with his.

The other issue is the property is surrounded by million-dollar mansions. If we get it, we'll be like the Clampets. I have already chosen a spot to put the vintage pickup truck on concrete blocks in the front yard. :p

• Like 4

Jeremy,

If things are the same in Florida as in Oregon, what you are buying is a fantastic investment property. In a few years you could ditch the mobile home, build a nice house and have tons of equity. In the meantime, a little effort into landscaping and the front of the house image and laugh at those who spend thousands a month on mortgages. You can bank hundreds a month and catch up to them :) So I say, CONGRATULATIONS AND SMART BUY!

• Like 2

You're off Newberry Road? Wow, that is so full of fancy new neighborhoods! Of course, since we attended UF the city of Gainesville has grown 'way out beyond anywhere anyone had any reason to expect.

As soon as we finish breakfast this AM we're off on our trip. I douby we'll have wifi, so I'mm bidding everyone au revoir for a week.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new house Jeremy. Boy, you sure do have lots of changes in your life on a regular basis. I can hardly keep up with what you are up to next.

• Like 2

Jeremy, congrats on the new house. Holly is right, just you wait! I'm willing to bet (how much, he asks?) that you'll get an offer, basically for the land the double wide is on, from some builder who wants to put a $million home there. Hold out for those big bucks -- they'll be coming if you wait!!! Then you can get whatever it is that you really want. I know that 17xx sq ft is not nearly large enough for a family with young'uns, but just you wait! What a fabulous opportunity this is for you! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Kathy, would you and Lloyd prefer some stress-reducing lapsang souchong tea instead of coffee when you visit? Looking forward to seeing you Saturday morning.

To everyone else who is under the weather, the sun is shining (or will be) wherever you are, so hang in there! It will get better. If I can say this, it must be true!!!

• Like 2

Missed seeing your avatar and reading your cheery words,Sandy! Hope you and Kathie have a great visit!

I'm not up to as much as I'd like-having a bit of trouble with my left eye,hopefully just 'cold' in it or allergens/irritants from my yard work. I agree with Sandy-it is so sunny and nice here in my part of the South this week and I hope y'all will hang in there for when it finally reaches your little piece of Earth!

Jeremy,not one of my family members currently lives in a 'real' house-we are all mobile home renters or owners,but I know y'all can make a real sweet home out of your new piece of Earth! :) Congratulations!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

Sandy,

I doubt anyone will be knocking for this patch of property, as there are dozens of vacant lots around the other big houses. On the west side of the main street it looks like they paved for several neighborhoods, but only built 3 houses in one and none in the others. Just north is a larger collection of huge houses, but the trees keep the trailer only visible from the side road it's accessed from.

I don't think we'll make a profit from the property, but the way houses sell around here, we shouldn't have a problem selling it to someone who, like us, couldn't afford the mortgage or property taxes of a mcmansion anytime soon. As for the yard, the only thing I need to do with it is mow it. It's completely landscaped. I might put a white picket fence around the cow fence it currently has up, but other than that, it looks pretty good.

It is a little small for our family, but it's over 500 sq. ft. larger than where we're living now, and almost twice the size of the house I lived in for 6 years when I was 1 of 5 kids. I'm hoping they will spend much of their time in the yard like I did when I was younger. The tree house should keep them occupied for at least a couple of years.

You can see a photo of the house on my Flickr account, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jcp_precision_miniatures/14054186728/

Either building a larger, permanent house on the same property in a few years or selling it are our likely options. I'm also glad I'll get a chance to work on my mini projects again soon.

• Like 3

Looks so peaceful and pretty there Jeremy. What's not to like?

I live in a old country farmhouse with an old well in my cellar and damp old stones for the foundation.

But we love it in spite of itself.

• Like 1

I have some bald tires and a lazy dog for you if the rusty truck on blocks doesn't fill your yard. Oh! and a broken-down sofa. . .

Just kidding--a lot of the manufactured homes now are much nicer than my first stick-built house.

The other issue is the property is surrounded by million-dollar mansions. If we get it, we'll be like the Clampets. I have already chosen a spot to put the vintage pickup truck on concrete blocks in the front yard. :p

• Like 3

Morgan said it! Looks exactly like a house that will become your family's sweet home! I cannot see anything that can stop that from happening! Jeremy, it's lovely, and it's perfect!

• Like 1

Had a conversalion regading my mini things on Etsy that really made my day, as the. Our conversation was about the measurements and when I responded that is was somewhere 3x1 5/8 inches I got the response "oh, it is for dollhouses then" <happy feeling>

Otherwise we hd an "eventfull" day at work today, as when I arrived to school the school assistent had had a visiti with one of my teachers who was concerned about a car parked in the parking lot with two sleeping persons in it, just outside the school. The car was unlisted, as in illegal to drive so I contacted the police who after consulting the dispatch central had a patrol called out. Then some concerned parents approached the car which meant they sped off, but stopped close by at a house just a block away. Then all of a sudden five unmarked cars appeared and people stepped out surrounding the house while blocking off the cars in the drive way...

All of which I could observe from the school yard with the back up of my sweet and supportive ( as in you shouldn't be doing this alone) janiotor(sp?)/handy man fellow who didn't leave my side until happy with the police intervention.

Sometimes being the principle/head master has its adrenaline shots :) just because....

Hugs

• Like 1

Talk about food for thought!

Now you just need to reproduce it and, if anyone can do it, you surely can, Kathie!

I'd be thinking about it during the whole trip.

• Like 1

Jeremy - so happy for you on the new house. It looks lovely with the big yard and all the trees. The kids will love it!

Anna - sounds like an interesting day at work!! Glad it ended well :)

This broadcast is coming to you from the quiet kitchen of a beautiful condo, first cup of coffee in hand - with waves crashing on the beach just a few yards away! I'm on another working weekend, in Ocean Shores on the west coast of WA. Such a tough job, but someone has to do it. There's a three-day home show going on and I was able to book a condo in the Wyndham Resorts. Mother is with me (of course) so I try to book these locations when I work out of town. So much better for her than the cramped hotel rooms. She's got all the comforts of home while I'm at work. Such a wonderful way to start my day - "visiting" with my Greenleaf family before the work begins. :)

• Like 6