What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Up at 4:30 this morning, drove to south Chicago suburbs for niece's wedding tomorrow. Resting at motel before heading out for pizza with other wedding guests. It's going to be an outdoor wedding. Weather seems to be promising a perfect afternoon.

Glad his surgery went well.

I finally reached the southwest corner of the property yesterday. I have no idea how he reached it, but the surveyor's flagged pikes were in the corner of the property. There was no access to it before yesterday, so I can only assume he or she trudged through the spider covered vines and bushes to get to it. There are still quite a few bushes, saplings and vines to cut down before the area is completely clear, but I'll have to get a longer extension cord for the chainsaw first. The gas powered one my sister brought us flew apart about 3 minutes after I cranked it up and cut down 6 small trees. The bolt that holds the chain arm broke. The arm went flying forward and the chain whipped back and smacked my right forearm, but it lacked the speed or torque to cause any damage. Unfortunately, it's history unless I can find someone who knows how to ream out the broken bolt and install a new one.

My job search has gotten so desperate I actually applied at HL. I can think of worse places to work. One thing I did notice while I was there, was a RGT Painted Lady with the 1st floor turret and bay windows completely torn out and all the trim above the entrance was missing. It was a sad thing to see. They told me they don't actually build them, but that they arrive assembled from the warehouse.

Another repair man came to fix my kitchen range this morning. I've had to have parts replaced on it every year. The service contract we got when we bought the range around 6 years ago has more than paid for itself over and over again. The repair man is ordering more parts, and will return in a couple of weeks. I shall continue to have to light my favorite burner with a match till he does.

Meanwhile, DH is in the bathroom upstairs trying to remove tiles from the built in bathtub to see what's leaking every time I run the bath. Last night my son asked if he could soak in my big whirlpool tub and we got another wet spot on the ceiling of the room below. I think there's some kind of leak from the tub faucet. I wish I had thought of putting in a nice decorative access panel on the front of the tub instead of letting the builder just tile everything.

We live and learn.

Fireboy's room is finally completely complete. Whew!

Today I've been back at the kitchen island project.

Had to cut mitred ends for the corner trim that goes around the top edge. That was tough with the mitre box. Just too sloppy.

Then I remembered that I had just gotten my new band saw blade (finally find one online for this old critter). So, I got the new blade installed and titled my table up and got my cuts. Yippee!

Gonna finish the installation of the two bottom shelves tonight.

Tomorrow I'll start the final poly coats to seal everything together. With a little cure time, it should be usable before I go under the knife.

• Like 1

Fireboy's room is finally completely complete. Whew!

Today I've been back at the kitchen island project.

Had to cut mitred ends for the corner trim that goes around the top edge. That was tough with the mitre box. Just too sloppy.

Then I remembered that I had just gotten my new band saw blade (finally find one online for this old critter). So, I got the new blade installed and titled my table up and got my cuts. Yippee!

Gonna finish the installation of the two bottom shelves tonight.

Tomorrow I'll start the final poly coats to seal everything together. With a little cure time, it should be usable before I go under the knife.

Bathroom reno is still waiting for the cupboard doors to arrive and get installed and I still need to change out the hardware on the existing cupboards. A few little do-dads still need to go in but it's close and fully functional at this point.

We're home. We had a stressful and unrest full vacation. Drove 7 hours or so including a few toilet breaks on Saturday, up to the North Yorkshire Moors. Was supposed to take less than 6, but had roadworks, and then the sat nav redirected us along a different route along little Moore lanes in pitch black. Allana threw up Saturday night, and every night except Monday since, Natasha and I threw up Monday night, Tuesday we drove half way back to spend a couple nights in a restful hotel, only for hubby Chivs to throw up last night and for Natasha to have a temp. She was better this morning, but we couldn't do the fun day out we'd planned, so decided to just cancel the second night at the hotel and go home. And then the bit I was most looking forward to, visiting the Dollshouse Emporium on the last leg home, was unsuccessful, they'd closed!!! :'( I get emails from them every now and then but didn't get any saying their bricks and mortar shops were shutting, soooo disappointed! Allana threw up in the car halfway home, so it now stinks, we've got loads of disinfecting laundry to do, and I haven't slept without getting up nearly every hour since Friday night. Haven't been away in ages, not to a hotel in over 4 years, just grrrrr! Not what I needed!

Will have to look online for my dollhouse bits now, nowhere near as much fun. Fingers crossed, the girls are bathed and in all clean cloths, and have slept peacefully so far; Chives and my tummies have settled; and tomorrow is another day.

Sorry, sometimes just need to complain!

• Like 2

Sorry your holiday was such a disaster, Muriel. Hope the tummy bug is gone and you're all feeling much better!

We enjoyed one of the nicest weddings we've ever attended. My niece and her new husband are two of the most thoughtful people in our expanding family, and their love and generosity was woven all through the weekend. On Friday night, instead of the traditional wedding party dinner after rehearsal, they invited everyone to a favored pizza restaurant, where the two families were able to mingle and get to know one another. They included the bride's parents, who were celebrating their 44th wedding anniversary with a lovingly inscribed silver frame with a photo of their wedding. During the ceremony on Saturday, they remembered the grandparents who have passed and had one of the groom's aunts do a reading that sort of stole the minister's thunder but was beautiful both in content and presentation. The dinner and reception/dancing was top notch. And the next morning they hosted a continental breakfast at the hotel where most of the out-of-town guests were staying. (The bride teaches 1st grade and the groom is a golf pro, so the honeymoon won't take place until over Christmas break.)

The next day we drove to Canton, Mississippi, where we did some genealogical research in the court house and local library. We spent the night there, with plans to stop in at the state archives in Jackson for more research, but by then we were running out of gas, so we passed up the opportunity and came on to New Orleans yesterday. Found the condo in good shape and are nearly finished cleaning (just a good dusting, really) and stowing the stuff we brought with us.

I look forward to the day that we don't have to carry half a carload of stuff from one place to the other.

Yep, HL is Hobby Lobby.

Sorry your vacation was ruined by illness, Muriel. I know how much work can go into planning a road trip, especially when they're few and far between.

I too, am glad to see the forum back up and running. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms. :p

I am so glad the forum is back up, I was having withdraws!!!

Well, the witches houses are waiting patiently, the witches however are not patient. I just dont have time to work on the houses right now with work and real life. I am overwhelmed. Unfortunatly, the witch houses will not be finished before Halloween. But that's ok. I'm in no hurry to finish them.

I, too, missed the forum. So funny/awesome how much we miss each other when we can't log on. <sniff> I love you guys!! :hug:

Heidi, good to see your avatar again. I've missed seeing it! Muriel, so sorry about you trip, and I hate to hear another brick and mortar has closed. Kelly, there's never a rush, since dollhousing isn't a horse race. ;) I'm just excited to see your houses as they progress. I love witches, and Halloween!

This was such a fabulous weekend! I went down to College Station and visited with my daughter, and then went to the Tom Bishop show in Houston. I picked up a few goodies, some flower urns and pots, a rusty star for the outside of the farmhouse, and a little elf planter for my Christmas room box. But the BEST part? I got to meet Amy (Myangela)!!! :woohoo: It was such a pleasure getting to talk with her in person and get some tips for building and hiding my electricity. It'd be neat to meet everybody here... maybe one day!

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! Its so nice to be back isn't it? I missed the forum but I got a lot done around the house the past week. I did major cleaning out and straightening out.

It felt good.

Jeremy I am so sorry your job situation hasn't improved. I would work at HL in a heartbeat ( if we had one). I know here there are no jobs for anyone except Walmart or the one grocery store. There is no industry or anything except tourism and that hasn't been very good either. I wish you luck and soon hopefully.

• Like 1

With halloween all taken care of (what little I did) I have christmas decorating on my mind. I have wanted a 'color' tree for years - I have a small pink one and a small purple one - but they just don't cut it.I found a 7 foot purple one on sale and I think I am going to sneak out today and grab it. Hopefully it will be nice and not a cheap looking one.

I am determined to set up multiple trees this year.

• Like 1

Roxy, HL pays about 1/2 of what I was earning, and the high turnover in retail are major turn offs. They aren't much of a hobby shop to begin with anyway, but it sure beats a lot of the many lower paying jobs here in town.

I'm even looking at oil company jobs. I doubt the hiring boom in North Dakota is still going on, but it would be worth trying at this point.

I know, Jeremy, I feel so badly for you. I guess I was just saying that at least its something. I worked for AC Moore another big craft chain and they paid minimum and I Had to work every weekend. It wasn't great but............ I didn't mean to sound stupid about it....I am very aware how times are. I wish you the best in finding a good decent paying job really soon! :)

They slept through the night!!! Whooohoo! Had pizza delivered for supper, and ignored laundry. A better day! Also had my eyes photographed (annual thing), and tidied the garden ready for the cold.

Tomorrow I'm taking dressed up girls to Ikea and picking up my sister and niece from their vacation before we go to a pumpkin party at church. Carving pumpkins and then story and pumpkin soup supper. We might stop by my friends for a quick treat, but otherwise my kiddies are too young for more, and pumpkin party is a great alternative. :)

• Like 3

Oh Muriel, I just read your vacation disaster. So sorry to hear of that.

Once upon a long time ago I had a vacation with small children similar to yours.

It will become a humorous family tale to tell later on after you are farther away from the time it occurred.

The pumpkin party sounds so fun.

We hopped right into the Big Easy rhythm today --- strolled the French Quarter and did a little shopping for non-essentials, had supper at Stanley, watched the Krewe de Boo Halloween Parade, stopped for café au lait at Café de Monde, and caught the happy ending of the Saints-Panthers game. Life is good. :D

• Like 1

Halloween has arrived....tomorrow we haunt...today at kids school it was announced the kids could wear their costumes....no mask, no blood,no weapons, no scary??? and no party....Jaxon is still ill and wont be going so I didnt need to worry about finding him something to wear....he and Pixie have been fighting over who is going to use which werewolf mask and Gloves....Dean has 2 sets....2 shirts from Goodwill and they were set....poor girl...we suggested skipping...of course she did not want to do that...so I went to my suitcase...we have most of our Masks with us but the actual costumes didnt make it here but I buy thing each year like some weird obsession and we found robes and silver Medallion and she is going to be a sorceress! I found her a FLY at the dollar tree to put on her outfit....she was happy....I like it when they are happy and confident in their choices and it doesn't cost me anything!....I am in charge of haunting the porch till they get back from Trick Or Treating than they will help me by being our 2nd scare of the porch. jumping up and growling at our victims...errm guest....its not our old Spooky ways but it has begun!

• Like 1