What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Has been very cold here the last couple of days.  Took awhile to warm the house up yesterday morning...but we do turn it down to 58 at night...Going to go to Walmart to buy some new jeans..should be interesting...LOL!  And the new workbench is arriving today!  My husband is almost as excited as I am!  He says "A woman with tools, it doesn't get any better than that!" LOL!

• Like 3

Today Iam adventuring out in the cold garage and getting out my mini stuff and making a home for it ainside I recently moved so I have alot to go through on what comes in and stays out in storage. I have the usual housework to do as wel :thumbdown: l.I have the colors all picked out for my house just have to figure out the rest.Forgot to say my upstairs bathroom is in SERIOUS need of a remodel trying to convice my soon to be husband on us getting that done too :blush:

I remember the stops in AZ, wondered why they took them down.

Budget cuts mostly.  It hit my little home town pretty hard.  San Simon is on I-10 on the AZ/NM line and that was one of the last ones to go. San Simon is a hamlet with a population of 167 and the only employment there was either farmer/rancher, the school, or the Port.  The weigh stations are still open but not the Port.  It's too bad coz they kept a lot more than bugs and undesirable plants out of the state. <chuckling>  All the Port officers are law enforcement as well and they got to wear shiny badges and guns, so sometimes when people would come cruising down the interstate and see uniformed officers opening the back doors and trunks of cars in a line, they'd freak out and try to bolt.  A quick radio call to the State troopers would get a bubble car hot on their wheels in minutes and boom, another drug runner or someone with an open warrant would be off the streets.  

CJ, it sounds like things are once again busy at your house.  Congrats on getting all the holiday stuff put away and ready for house guests.  You must be exhausted by now.

Sarah, the cake boards will make awesome gifts!  I'm fascinated by those cake sculptures and creations (used to loooooooove watching Ultimate Cake Off) and from what I've seen, a good cake board is the foundation of all their creations.  Your gifts will be much loved and well used.  And hopefully you'll get cake in return coz nothing says thank you as well as cake.  (Well, maybe jewelry, but cake is great too)  

Jeremy, that sounds like a wild ride this morning!  Hopefully it's one you won't have to repeat and the ice will head back north and out of your area again.   We had below freezing temps here last week which are totally unheard of in our part of Arizona.  There are a lot of snow birds here and Maricopa is a biker town so a good percentage of them don't bring a car with them and all they have are their scoots.  Needless to say there wasn't the normal sound of bikes heading out for their daily rides into the countryside and pizza delivery sales went up.  

Holly, I can't wait to hear what you find at the book sale!  One of the bestest things ever is going to a library sale.  I have a hard time resisting the urge to adopt all the books and take them home with me to love and pet and enjoy.  

My husband is almost as excited as I am!  He says "A woman with tools, it doesn't get any better than that!" LOL!

hehehehehehe <cackle, snort>  hehehehe   Bruce gets all excited like that too.  He enjoys bragging to his friends that he can buy his wife power tools for our anniversary and not get in trouble.  In fact, he's been known to brag to other men standing in hardware stores looking wistfully at tools at Christmas and casually tell them, "Oh, this if for my wife" just to watch their reactions.   <chuckling>  He's easily entertained.

Today Iam adventuring out in the cold garage and getting out my mini stuff and making a home for it ainside

Yay Lyn!!!!  That's going to be a fun and happy day for you!!

I've been picking and plodding away at putting the holiday decor back into bins to go in the garage and not making as much progress on it as I'd like.  I'm kind of at the point of being sick of looking at it and want to clean house properly so Bruce is going to help me finish it today.  <sigh of relief>  I don't like asking for help but if I don't, it'll take another two weeks and I'd rather be in the studio.  Bruce said he'd rather that I be in the studio too and if he helps, it'll be done in just a couple of hours.  Well, if he puts it that way, it just makes sense to take the help.  LOL!!   That'll be it for today and tomorrow I can start painting the new potting table on the patio. 

• Like 1

I found a really boss book on Muslim culture and art history, some needlepoint designs that ought to interpret into mini very well, a Kathy Reichs book I haven't read and a book of schirrenschnitte papers.  We also his a bookstore in Orange beach that is going out of business, and I relieved them of a Cajun cookbook.  The library book sale turned out to be my mistake, it was the Orange beach library and not the one in Gulf Shores, which is usually closer to the time all our snowbirds fly back home.

Today was productivie and I dug out 3 boxes out of storage there are still more boxes I couldn't get to but for the most part I brought in what I need for now. That littlehouse is starting to talk up a storm. I would love t start tonight but I cant have to go to work maybe lol.

• Like 1

I got one of my packs of 1/4" grid paper to copy some of Jane Harrop's patterns for items to make for Washington 2.0.  A new HL opened up in Foley and I found a mini brass stencil to use with spackle for nifty ceiling roses and other goodies, and a pack of mini wooden wheels the right size to make the wicker shopping trolly from Jane Harrop's book.  If I can't find wires in my craft room I'll go back out to find some in the shop tomorrow.

The biopsy from last week's colonoscopy came back benign!!  I don't have to have another for 3 whole years.

I'm down to the last wall in the dining room wallpaper fiasco.  Never have had such a hard slog with wall paper before.

The boiler had an issue again after the $895 repair and no heat over Thanksgiving.  The tech came yesterday juggled  some stuff and the funky noise quit, but I used another vacation day.  Got up to an 8-9" snowfall and a below zero wind chill blowing the stuff across the road.  Called in chicken--everything in the county was closed except our university.  (sigh.)  You may have seen the 125 car fatal pileup complete with fireworks on I-94 this morning.  That was about 5 miles from my house, so I'm glad I stayed home.

• Like 6

Congrats on the test results. Always the news we like to hear.

Wallpaper can be so beautiful when it is done tastefully but it most always is a bear to get off well.

Good luck with the rest. What color will you be putting on? Something fresh and spring like?

That's awesome news Gloria!  I'm also glad that you chose to stay inside and didn't get caught up in that pile up too.   

Holly, you really had a great shopping day both with the books and at HL!  

I felt accomplished yesterday after getting 90% of the holiday decor put away.  Bruce did the climbing and toting for me which helped a lot.  All that's left to do is all the crafting stuff in the sewing room and the villages.  That'll probably have to wait til Monday since I have today and tomorrow planned out fairly full.  Today I'm going to paint the potting bench that Bruce made for me.  <chuckling>  He raised an eyebrow when I bought a gallon of paint for it because it'll take less than a quart but then I reminded him that I'd had to leave all my paint behind when we moved and 3/4 of a gallon of paint will be enough primer and tinting base for dollhouses to last me for years.  This is a really pretty shade of ivory so it'll suffice for most anything.  

What is everyone else up to on this lovely Saturday?  

• Like 1

Tracy, with spackle and frosting decorating tips, you're good to go!  I finished the full sized shawl and had enough yarn left to use some to make a scarf, but it has been a while since I did any mini stitching, so last night I got my tot out and I'm finishing the dragon rug I set aside last spring.

• Like 1

Glad you got some good news and avoided the traffic issues, Gloria.

Today I put in a half day (well, sort of) at work and picked up our car this afternoon.  The engine runs, but the A/C apparently doesn't any longer.  We were too late to return the rental, so we'll do that tomorrow afternoon.

Yesterday evening, I built a Lego house with the kids.  They don't have enough of the right pieces to build more than a few walls, but I was able to build a double decker sofa for the living room (EVERYTHING IS AWSOME :p).  I think I better stick to scale lumber and mini bricks.

• Like 1

I fell in love with this oval window and yesterday I ended up buying supplies for it. Today I plan to recreate something similar I've never done this before but decided "hey, why not?" :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tracy, That is an awesome inspiration photo! You made me think of WyckedWood/Karin's Sea Hag. I recently ran across the following post. I had no idea before that she had used wallboard mud to side it and pipe on the window trims. Are you thinking of doing something like it? Y'all are so talented and it's fun to see what you come up with. Have fun!

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25664&hl=wallboard

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

The storm has slowed down during the late hours of the night, but there are still warnings issued ie if you don't have to go out you shouldn't.... We've been fortunate yet again with almost no damage done, and as far as we can see some branches down and lots od smaller debris from trees flying around on the ground. It sounded almost like a freight train went round and round the house during the night but as long as there weren't thumps and bumps I were happy!

So as I am not re-stocked with spackle and clay I think I am all set for the day... Hope to make some progress on the lighthouse base today in between the regular chores and things to do.

Hugs

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  It was a big load off. I see the GP tomorrow, cardio guy next week, and hope I'm done with doctors for a while!

The wallpaper was probably lovely in 1974, but needed to be gone.  The room gets a lot of sun, so I'm going with a cool color, but haven't decided  between Delft blue or a very pale mossy green.  This happens with the minis, too.  Decisions, decisions, and I'll see a color that is totally different--choice made!

Colors sound lovely. Cool and fresh. My paint rule is to find what I think I like and then go one or two shades lighter of that chosen color. I found, the hard way, that color reflected off itself always appears darker than I planned. Of course that depends on the size of the room too. I love painting. Good luck.

• Like 1

American Miniaturist devoted two articles to Sclerise Landry's bash of two Buttercups (I have scoured the internet and the pictures of her "skellie" house are no more!); she also used drywall mud for the siding and trims (piped) and she used thin metal to make her siding comb.  Karin's is more cost effective.

I've never done this before but decided "hey, why not?" :)

Those are three of my favorite words to hear when your Muse gets all chatty.  I'm just gonna hang out here and wait to see the results.   :popcorn: 

trees flying around on the ground.

Oh lordy Anna, that doesn't sound good!  So I'm guessing that a walk in the woods won't be much of an option for a few days til the blow downs are cleared.  I've got my fingers crossed that it didn't hurt your house.

Painting the potting bench took all day yesterday but I did it!!  My body may not be happy about it but I sure am!  It was satisfying in the extreme to finish a project all in one day and be able to sit back and admire the results.  It was a nice day overall since the weather was exceptional and everyone in the neighborhood was out doing something.  Lots of leaf blowers blowing and tree trimmers trimming and garage cleaners cleaning plus the sounds of neighbors chatting over fences, classic rock playing nicely from someone's backyard, kids laughing in the playground, and charcoal burning everywhere.  Yep, it was a Pleasant Valley Sunday except on a Saturday.  I love my neighborhood!  

We are still under caution venturing outside but the wind IS diminishing but still strong. Thankfully no damage done and the rain has stopped but rivers and the ocean are high so it will be an intersting ride to work tomorrow.

But I have forest-longing in my bones so as soon as it is all clear I am heading out there LOL and see what has happened...

Hugs

• Like 1