What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I spent the afternoon repotting cacti and have kinda happily removed all the spines from my fingers and upper arms. Even with gloves and tongs it's still hard to do a root massage without getting a few but I don't really mind. I'm just happy with the new green babies.

• Like 2

Yesterday we finished painting Natalie' s room. Today she and I assembled her bed. She is very happy. Tomorrow will be time to rearrange the furniture. Too beat now.

I've been out weeding the yard.......for gravel yards that means walking around with a spray bottle of weed killer. I did the front, back, and both side yards and as long as I was out there, I did the neighbor's front and side yards too. <chuckling> I use a motorized sprayer and park the bottle on my rollator, then drag it around over the gravel so I can stop and sit down when I need to. It looks funny but it gets the job done. Since I did all the plant repotting and cleaned up the patio yesterday, all the yard work is finished now. Yay!! Flowers are blooming and foliage is green again so I'm happy. Out of curiosity I counted all the planters and containers and came up with 76. That was surprising because I didn't know I could count that high.

What's everyone else up to on this most lovely of days?

I've been browsing my mini pics and have had alot of fun doing that. Still have plenty of folders to go through though... Did I mention it is below freezing and white outside now???

Knitted socks and a blanket is in order!

Hugs

• Like 1

I had a pacer checkup at the cardiology clinic this AM. I think I had mentioned that I got the pacemaker ten days before my 66th birthday and the battery is supposed to be good for ten years, only since we moved my new cardiologist mentioned that my battery was running down and will need replacing sooner than 12/18/17. Today the tech informed me I have about six to seven months of battery life left and from now on until the doctor decides to replace the battery I go in for follow ups monthly. DH & I still don't know why he doesn't just go ahead and put a new one in. I have total heart block, so I'm pacer-dependent, and if this failing battery is the reason I'm starting to tire more quickly now, I'd really rather go ahead and get a new one, rather than waiting to see when it up and quits altogether. The up ide is that DH took me out for breakfast afterwards at Egg & I and then we hit the stores.

I just finished three days at the Seattle Gift Show. I've never worked that show before, and didn't realize at first that it is a wholesale show for those stocking their stores! Several of my vendor friends, who have booths at other events, were there to stock up. :) Not sure why our company, which remodels bathrooms, was in the show, but I had a good time and got paid to be there! I had registered on the first day as a vendor, with a red badge. I went back to the check-in counter on the second day and registered as a "buyer" with a blue badge - since I have a reseller's license and have been slowly building an inventory in miniatures. The front 2/3 of the show was for orders only - couldn't buy anything on site - and you had be a "buyer" to register with them. The back 1/3, where I was, had the food court and cash-and-carry vendors who would take orders, or sell outright. It was a VERY interesting place!

I found a delightful supplier of fairy garden stuff - and it's some of the best, most realistic, and prettiest I have ever seen. Can hardly wait to put together and order!

This time I opted to take the ferry to and from the show, which is right in downtown Seattle. It's an hour crossing so I ate a leisurely breakfast on the way over, and took a nap on the way back. It cuts 100 miles round-trip off my commute, so was worth the effort to get to the dock on time. If I drive it, I'm 75 miles away; but I'm only 24 miles to the ferry dock, and 1 more mile to my destination. Saves a lot of wear of tear and both me and the car. :)

• Like 5

Taking good care of myself is part of what's wearing out the battery! I hike, paddle and bike for sport, and also camp and travel, and apparently the ten year battery life is for little old granny ladies who sit & knit.

• Like 3

The dining room is DONE! The wall cracks repaired, wood work painted, walls a pale sage green. Got the floor polished and pictures today, and it all took much less time than stripping the wallpaper. Next stop the bathroom. (small, wallpaper already gone.)

• Like 3

The dining room is DONE! The wall cracks repaired, wood work painted, walls a pale sage green. Got the floor polished and pictures today, and it all took much less time than stripping the wallpaper. Next stop the bathroom. (small, wallpaper already gone.)

Congrats! I love fresh paint! Sounds like a perfect color - refreshing and spring-like. Good luck with the bathroom.

post-583-0-09366000-1421762585_thumb.jpg

This is the bed Natalie and I put together yesterday. She has a fresh paint job in her room. That bed has been sitting in the box since October. Procrastination has been put aside. I am wiped out from yesterday though. Today will be a lazy day of peeling apples for sauce.
My friend made her the afghan. It is a stained glass design.

• Like 6

Looks great!! Tired from those kind of projects always feels like a good tired to me. Satisfaction helps ease the aches and pains.

Talented friend too. Just gorgeous.

• Like 1

Today the tech informed me I have about six to seven months of battery life left and from now on until the doctor decides to replace the battery I go in for follow ups monthly. DH & I still don't know why he doesn't just go ahead and put a new one in.

Holly, I have to admit that this has me more than a little bit worried for you. I'd feel more confident too if they'd just go ahead and put in a new one now instead of waiting for the old one to run out. I won't fuss and make mother-hen noises but perhaps you can call your old cardiologist and ask him if he agrees about the waiting part. It's not like the one inside you is going to make little beeping noises like when the battery on a smoke detector starts to go. (Which is good coz your DH would never get any sleep like that). When they replace it, will it be an open chest operation or do they use a cath line? And can they get you something more fitting to your lifestyle than a granny battery this time? I mean, you need an Energizer Bunny battery or maybe a small version of an industrial battery like they put in semi-trucks. <sitting beside you and cuddling you for a few minutes> I just worry about you. Don't let anything happen to my big Sis.

CJ, that sounds like an excellent show. Promise to show us pics of the fairy garden when you're done coz fairy gardens are awesome!

I over did it on the yard work yesterday and my hands are like claws this morning which makes it interesting to type. I'm missing more keys than I hit. If this were a typewriter, I'd be jamming up keys right and left! <pausing to consider> It's kind of interesting that there are so many people out there now who have no idea what that means or how to replace a ribbon or correct a mistake on a carbon copy. Lucky them!! Not that I would ever want to go back to using a typewriter because a backspace key is sooooooooo much easier! I thought I was at the pinnacle of efficiency when I got an IBM Selectric because it didn't have keys to jam and I always loved the sound of that ball clattering around inside. Odd the things one thinks of when the mind is allowed to wander. I'm gonna put mine back on the leash now.

• Like 1

When I go see the cardiologist for the procedure I'm gonna ask if they make rechargeable batteries for these things and, like, install port like they do for status asthmaticus patients. After all your encounters with doctors you have to ask? :rofl: I was so stressed out and furious yesterday that I pooped out after our first thrift store and when we got home I hit the bed and slept for an hour and a half! I learned that they make more than one replacement lens for cataracts, so I think a heavier duty battery for pacemakers makes a lot of sense. I also like the idea of the low-battery alarm; when I start to beep I call the cardiology clinic and let them listen to it and they call me in and change it. As I understand it they just open the old incision, pop out the device, disconnect the leads and reconnect them to the new device and pop it back in. I hope they can do all the testing after it's in and don't make me stay overnight in the hospital like they did when I first got the pacer; other than hospital food supper I didn't have anything to eat for nearly 40 hours and I was one cranky old f**t when DH came to take me home.

<sitting beside you and cuddling you for a few minutes> I just worry about you. Don't let anything happen to my big Sis.

CJ, that sounds like an excellent show. Promise to show us pics of the fairy garden when you're done coz fairy gardens are awesome!

I'm missing more keys than I hit. If this were a typewriter, I'd be jamming up keys right and left! <pausing to consider> It's kind of interesting that there are so many people out there now who have no idea what that means or how to replace a ribbon or correct a mistake on a carbon copy. Lucky them!! Not that I would ever want to go back to using a typewriter because a backspace key is sooooooooo much easier! I thought I was at the pinnacle of efficiency when I got an IBM Selectric because it didn't have keys to jam and I always loved the sound of that ball clattering around inside. Odd the things one thinks of when the mind is allowed to wander. I'm gonna put mine back on the leash now.

I second the motion, Holly - Don't let anything happen to my Big Sis!!

I will definitely share pictures of any fairy gardening I get done - they have little benches, fencing, ponds with frogs, ponds with fish, umpteen houses ... I'm afraid I'll be my own best customer!! Oh! And a little mouse with a saddle on its back! :roflmao:

Isn't it funny how these things slip into history and disappear? When I was in high school typing was the cool class to take! I loved my IBM Selectric with all the special font-balls. Now all that can be done on a hand-held device with the touch of a finger! I don't get on this forum much with my smart phone, but I get on Facebook with it. Not allowed to have a computer at work anymore, but I can do almost as much on my phone anyway. Online banking, bill paying, social media, games, Nook books ... all in my pocket! Oh, yeah - it can make a phone call, too! :)

Debra, I have one word: YUM!!! Heidi, when I heard about the 'quakes on last night's news I thought of you. If you're having seismic activity in CT I wonder what's going on in SE MO (thinking of the next New Madrid earthquake that's overdue..)

nothing LOL. but then having grown up in SoCA, I usually don't feel the little ones around here. FYI I'm about 20 miles from New Madrid

When I took typing it was at the local business college, which was upstairs in the building that Daddy had his shoe repair shop in. It was my first experience with an electric typewriter, and 'way before IBM came out with the Selectric; you could still jam keys, only you could do it a whole lot faster. I find it fascinating that the computers still use the same qwerty keyboard as my grandpa's old Smith-Corona.

Well I spent most of today relaxing and playing in the workshop between loads of laundry; no need for a nap today. I also stitched a bit on the medallion rug. DH & I decided it's time to hit the road with the Littler House on the Highway so Sunday we're taking off to spend five days at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin and check out all the shops and thrift stores in Destin, Ft Walton Beach & Mary Esther.

Lawanda. one year DH & I camped our way up the Mississippi River and spent a few days in Sikeston and went down to New Madrid one day to the Visitors' Center. They have a seismograph nd tke readings every AM for the local newspaper. The rest of the time they disconnect it because every eighteen-wheeler that passes sets it off.

My son took me over the Missisippi line for brunch at a fairly new IHOP restaurant. Oh,my word,it was so good! Then we made a couple of other stops and when we got home I was exhausted! I felt bad all day yesterday,but it was warm today and the sun was shining so pretty that before we left home I made my son wait on me a minute while I went over and stood in a spot of sun peeking through the oaks in the front yard and I stood there just turning in circles and basking in it for a minute! :)

Holly,you have me wondering about my mother's pacemaker now! She's not at all athletic like you,but she never stops going until her knees just kill her and she rests a day and then is back at it again. At 80,she could run circles around most women half her age-slower circles,but still... Nobody better call her granny!LOL But I sure hope you do get an answer from your physician about this-I agree with all y'all,it just doesn't make sense to wait...

Heidi,I love the bed-that frame is awesome!

All this talk of painting is giving me ideas-when I'm back to 'normal' I'm gonna ask my landlord if I can paint my blah bathroom a pretty color. I know he won't mind,but I better ask to be sure-I'd love a lemon yellow or something like that to 'warm' it up....

• Like 1

When we moved into this house the master bedroom was painted a very loud shade of YELLOW! and the bathroom was an icky shade of dark olive green. The rest of the house was painted in "earth tones" (not very well, either; none of the kitchen appliances had paint on the walls behind them). The front bedroom was a little girls and the lower half of the wall was painted blue; the rest of the walls in that room and all the walls in the little boy's bedroom (now our guest room) and utility room were just primed. Now our bedroom and the guest room are a soft light blue, the bathrooms, vestibule, kitchen and utility room are all a lovely light yellow, the livingroom is burgundy and the hallway is a really pale tint of that same burgundy, more of a pale mauve. DH wanted his office (the front bedroom) tomato RED, and that's the color it is. I have never been one to stint on color, I think most of us react to colors around us whether we're aware of it or not. We spent over twenty yers living in a house with dark wood paneling, so I guess we were reacting to color deprivation but we still like them.

• Like 1

Holly, I am with you about color. All the rooms in our house are very distinct colors, although mostly blue which is my favorite. There is nothing like putting up a fresh coat of paint to make your space feel renewed. Housework and painting my cake stands is on the plate today, although I would dearly love to talk someone into a trip to IKEA. They have a very nice 6 drawer chest that would be perfect for my bedroom :)