What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We're hunkered down, too. At least it isn't raining. I don't mind cold. I don't mind rain. But I really don't like cold rain. 

Lloyd's man bag took a hike Friday night. He left it at the local Burger King. He didn't know it was missing until we got a notice from our bank a couple hours later that someone had tried to use his debit card. Why someone would try to use the debit card instead of the credit card is a mystery to me. Seems like it would be easier to fake a signature when using someone else's credit card (when's the last time a clerk checked your signature?) than attempt to guess the victim's PIN, but hey, I guess it takes all kinds. Anyway, after a few hours of phoning banks and stores and our health insurance company, there are new cards on the way. He'll get a replacement driver's license on Monday, and he has an appointment at the VA on Monday, so he can get those cards replaced at the same time. Luckily his phone was in his pocket and he didn't have his camera in the bag.

On a happier note, the maiden name of the policewoman who came to the house to take the report was Bennett. We didn't make any blood connections, but Lloyd knew her parents and other relatives. Being from the same part of the city, he lived around the corner from some, went to school with some, ran the streets with some, and served in the Holy Name Society at Corpus Christi Church with others. She took my card, said she'd have her uncle who tracks their family history get in touch with me to compare notes.  Only in New Orleans. :) 

(I posted about this yesterday. I thought it was in this thread but I don't see it here. I maybe forgot to hit the Submit Reply button. I've done that before. Anyway, if this is a repeat or I put it in some other thread, please blame my rattled brain.)

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

You posted about Lloyd's man bag on the weather topic.  I probably wouldn't mind the cold if it didn't make my bones ache!

Thanks, Holly. Sorry about the repeat. And sorry about your aching bones. Stay warm!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎05‎:‎11‎, DaisyV said:

Christkindlmarkt in Bethlehem.  I've wanted to go for years-- but they're calling for a "wintry mix" in the Lehigh Valley this afternoon, so hopefully my friends don't bail on me...

Mary- one of my friends posted a pic on Facebook from Christkindlmarkt today!  :)  She called it a "brisk" December night - - more like FRIGID in my book!  LOL  Hope if you decided to go that you all had a good time.  I like those community events....makes it a bit more 'Christmassy".  We're going to one at Landis Valley Farm Museum here in Lancaster County on Friday evening.

Update: an officer came by tonight with Lloyd's man bag. It had a few things in it, but of course the two wallets with charge cards and all manner of ID are still missing. Apparently the thieves tossed it over a fence into somebody's back yard. The lady of the house brought it to the police, bless her heart. He's contacted a whole slew of entities to report the loss of the IDs. Got a replacement driver's license today. I've ordered another wallet for him and will be monitoring what he puts in it from now on. He says he doesn't feel quite so violated now, but I can tell this whole episode is weighing heavily on him.

For those who want to insure that they can still drive if they lose their license, one thing you can do when you renew is go into the DMV and tell them you never got your new license. You will have to get another picture taken and pay another fee, but you will get another license. Put the original somewhere safe and if by any chance you lose the new one, you still have a license to use while you are awaiting a replacement.

I know this sounds sneaky (actually, it is), but I've had my license stolen and with no one to drive me around, I had to go to the DMV to get a new one and get there driving myself without having one. It sounds terrible, but I'd rather be sneaky and have a second license as a backup than get caught driving without one if my first one is stolen.

My driver's license, passport and pacemaker card live in a neck wallet that I wear whenever I leave the house.  Initially this was so that when I went hiking or paddling and died or got killed doing whatever my body could be identified when found; because I have stopped carrying a purse this is also handy when I have to pass a scanner checkpoint  I take my keys out of my pocket, flash my pacer card and get waved or wanded through so I won't set off alarms.

Today we took The Kid thrift store shopping with us along US 98 from Gulf Breeze to Fort Walton Beach.  I found copies of The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest in large size paperbacks so we can read the type.

21 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

For those who want to insure that they can still drive if they lose their license, one thing you can do when you renew is go into the DMV and tell them you never got your new license. You will have to get another picture taken and pay another fee, but you will get another license. Put the original somewhere safe and if by any chance you lose the new one, you still have a license to use while you are awaiting a replacement.

I know this sounds sneaky (actually, it is), but I've had my license stolen and with no one to drive me around, I had to go to the DMV to get a new one and get there driving myself without having one. It sounds terrible, but I'd rather be sneaky and have a second license as a backup than get caught driving without one if my first one is stolen.

That may work in some states, but in Louisiana, they process the license while you're there, so you walk out with it. Hard to claim you didn't get it.

11 hours ago, KathieB said:

Update: an officer came by tonight with Lloyd's man bag. It had a few things in it, but of course the two wallets with charge cards and all manner of ID are still missing. Apparently the thieves tossed it over a fence into somebody's back yard. The lady of the house brought it to the police, bless her heart. He's contacted a whole slew of entities to report the loss of the IDs. Got a replacement driver's license today. I've ordered another wallet for him and will be monitoring what he puts in it from now on. He says he doesn't feel quite so violated now, but I can tell this whole episode is weighing heavily on him.

Glad to hear that at least the bag came back.  My son and DIL can relate to the "feeling violated" - they had recently leased a little house in Orlando and were slowly moving things over from their (gated) condo in Sanford. Several days before the final move in day, my DIL had gone shopping for some staples to stock the new kitchen, and upon arrival at the new home discovered that they had been robbed!  an ipad, designer purses, jewelry, several bottles of medication, and a folder with their marriage license, passports and other ID items were among the things stolen.  They are feeling better about being in the house now after a week, but still a bit 'violated'! 

39 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Glad to hear that at least the bag came back.  My son and DIL can relate to the "feeling violated" - they had recently leased a little house in Orlando and were slowly moving things over from their (gated) condo in Sanford. Several days before the final move in day, my DIL had gone shopping for some staples to stock the new kitchen, and upon arrival at the new home discovered that they had been robbed!  an ipad, designer purses, jewelry, several bottles of medication, and a folder with their marriage license, passports and other ID items were among the things stolen.  They are feeling better about being in the house now after a week, but still a bit 'violated'! 

Sorry to hear this. That feeling of violation can be traumatic. Once, in the 1980s, the apartment I shared with my sister was broken into and a watch that my parents had given me for graduation from college was taken. The watch had great sentimental value. It's still uncomfortable for me to think about it.

On Monday, December 12, 2016 8:09:09, KathieB said:

That may work in some states, but in Louisiana, they process the license while you're there, so you walk out with it. Hard to claim you didn't get it.

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Same here in Alabama; in Florida they take your old license and destroy it in front of you and hand you your new one.

Well, maybe you can "lose" the original a few months later.

On 12/13/2016, 8:23:21, rodentraiser said:

Well, maybe you can "lose" the original a few months later.

I have scanned all our documents and cards and keep them filed on my computer (with Cloud backup).  If I lose any of them, or they are stolen, I can print a copy for temporary use. I did that with my social security card awhile back, when I had to leave NOW for an appointment and couldn't remember where I hid the original. Printed out a copy on beige paper, trimmed it to size and no one questioned it. 

• Like 1

I think that I should look into a proper design board...! (That is the toe of my slipper at lower right.) There are about half a dozen or so more little rosettes like the ones I've laid out, but this layout will get me started on incorporating the little ones that I have begun so far.

large.IMG_3826.jpg.79ea5b3dd1d49898f06ef

• Like 1

It is very relaxing to sit on the weekends listening to Puccini and stitching away. :p

The black and gray-toned large rosette probably should've been yellow-toned instead-- really had to scrape the bottom of the box(es) to find suitably-colored fabrics! Had to use more non-cottons in that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the RL tablecloth I've been crocheting since March and put it on the table for Christmas dinner.  We took DS home to Tallahassee yesterday and ran a couple of errands and then headed home, stopping in Panama City Beach to spend the night.  This morning we came on home by way of CR30A, which was designated a scenic route many years ago, which we had not driven since Seaside was first being built and the rest of 30A truly was a scenic route.  Now, sadly, it has become mostly mile after mile of condos and high-priced developments with the exception of a few state parks.  The real attractions we went to see before the developers develop them out of existence were the few remaining fresh water dune lakes that are unique to Florida's Gulf Coast.