What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Just an update on my BIL's estate which my husband is the Executor but I have been doing all of the work. We closed on his Las Vegas condos on a "nail biting" 12/30/16. Huge tax issues if it hadn't close by year end. Whew!  Today, we received a contract for the sale of his NC house, the one which we had to go to court in order to evict the tenant. So hopefully, all of the estate work will be completed by the end of March. Hopefully!  

Biggest lesson learned through this....please make sure your IRA's, 401k's and pensions have named beneficiaries.  If they don't then it goes to your estate and there are larger tax consequences.   If you don't have a beneficiary, you can always name me ; )

• Like 4

Hope this next step goes thru okay for you Sable. Having my father just pass away and contemplating the sale of their rental property (where my always-broke brother lives :grrr:), your story has some special interest for me.  I know he is going to pitch a fit when we give him the eviction notice, but hopefully it won't end up in court!

And good advice on the beneficiaries!  I am learning so much during this time of helping to take care of my mom - -lessons learned to hopefully make things easier for my kids when it is my time to leave this world.

We had my father's funeral service yesterday.  It was nice.  And difficult.  And exhausting!  Lots more grieving ahead for me (these past two weeks I have mostly been in the "do what you gotta do" mode), but this evening is one last dinner together with all of the kids before my son & DIL leave for home (FL). 

I am going nuts on ebay today.   I never shop on there I am always wary of bad deals. So far though I got one good deal and one bad one that  I am hope I will get compensated on.  I am a little shocked at how much people want for their junk!   lol  

Well, I was hoping for a little bit of a better day today so we are getting snow 6-12 inches starting mid-morning. Spent yesterday morning at the vet's office saying goodbye to Gibbs(my avatar) Most of the rest of the day I spent crying. It was the right decision, but it still hurts:sad_2:

3 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Well, I was hoping for a little bit of a better day today so we are getting snow 6-12 inches starting mid-morning. Spent yesterday morning at the vet's office saying goodbye to Gibbs(my avatar) Most of the rest of the day I spent crying. It was the right decision, but it still hurts:sad_2:

My least favourite decision Sarah and I've made a few over the years.....my heart goes out to you but Gibbs will take a special place in your memory for all time.

Thanks guys, I have 2 more but he was my special boy. I had been feeling it coming for a while, just little things really. He was getting me ready; I'm just so happy it happened fast. He was fine Thursday afternoon and gone Friday morning.

On 12/12/2016, 10:42:26, jbnmini said:

Mary- one of my friends posted a pic on Facebook from Christkindlmarkt today!  :)  She called it a "brisk" December night - - more like FRIGID in my book!  LOL  Hope if you decided to go that you all had a good time.  I like those community events....makes it a bit more 'Christmassy".  We're going to one at Landis Valley Farm Museum here in Lancaster County on Friday evening.

Sorry to necromance the thread a month late--RL stuff got in the way (work/Christmas), but yes it was fun, and yes, it snowed, but not too badly!  I'll have to try Landis some day...

• Like 1

So Sorry to hear that Sarah.  I know, we have one here 14 years old and wondering.....you know what I mean.  Hugs for you!  

As for me,  the Ebay shopping extravaganza is still on.   I have run out of rooms to furnish so hopefully I am done!   :)

This Saturday DH and I are steppin' out!  LOL  One item on his "bucket list" was to someday go hear a real symphony orchestra...so for Christmas I gave him a pair of tickets for a local orchestra concert featuring his favorite- Mozart! :clap:  We are excited - and hopeful that we don't look like a couple of backwoods hicks!

• Like 2

One of our most exciting trips was our last visit to San Francisco (DH went as a business trip) and we went one night to the symphony.  The concert hall in SF has ceiling baffles that can be moved about to "tune" the entire hall.

• Like 1

I went shopping in Santa Fe today.   Craft stores all day!   Michaels has tons of minis!!!   Most are 1:12 scale but I found some charms that are mini tea sets just right size for 1:24 scale. 

Holly,  I played flute in the symphony for several years before I decided to get married and have a family.  Mozart is also my favorite on flute and piano.  Good Choice!

Finally got the little rosettes pieced together:

large.IMG_3874.jpg.8bf4d40237e02d17d8bc4

And then stitched together:

large.IMG_3877.jpg.314236ba6143e38f15cc2

So here I have laid the big green and black rosettes in place (not stitched yet); couldn't get enough distance with the camera, or I'd have shown the big red and blue rosettes in place at the bottom:

large.IMG_3882.jpg.a70af3bcc9dfc0593fc14

Had hoped, this weekend, to finish stitching everything together that I've done so far, but everything takes twice as long as anyone thinks it will. :p

This isn't the last of the small rosettes, not by a long shot-- I'd say that there are at least half a dozen fairly intact ones, then I have to figure out how to edge the whole thing.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2017, 10:04:03, Gayle said:

I'm in love with this quilt top and want to give it a try. 

:clap:Gayle, it's so addictive! I fall asleep at night thinking of what colors and patterns to stitch next. Looking forward to seeing your work!

I just got home from a 14 hour shift at work.  I'm going to try to pull another one tomorrow.  I rode to work yesterday to get a day's worth of work in, but the software we use at the VA wasn't working, so I had to leave after 30 minutes.  Now I'm trying to put 3.5 days' work into 2.  If I can, I'll have half a day Thursday to get ready for my trip and all day Friday to ride my bike down to Miami with the rest of the club.  I was hopping to include a ride to Key West in the trip, but I just won't have the time to do it.  KW has been on my bucket list for a while.

I haven't budgeted it yet, but I'm thinking about tackling another RL building project- a treehouse for the kids.  The best we can do this year will be part of a platform.  It will take another year or two to finance the "house" portion and a large deck for everyone to enjoy.

The Tudor house will be the "after dark" project to work on, once I getting little Shailene to realize she's to young to party like a college kid.  2 a.m. isn't an acceptable bedtime.

DH had left the phone in the car overnight, so this afternoon he had about a dozen messages from DS#3 in Tallahassee; the storms that passed through here this weekend uprooted a tree in front of his duplex and sent it through his front room roof & ceiling.  We are headed over there tomorrow first thing in the AM, after we call the insurance agent, to walk The Kid through the insurance adjustment and possibly bring him back with us for a "breather" before calling in the contractors.  One of our friends went through the same thing with her son a little over a year ago, but his was a rental.

Oh, Holly, what a mess! And of course he couldn't reach you. That must have really ratcheted up his anxiety level. I'm guessing that leaving the phone in the car is not a regular practice. It's the evil domino effect. 

7 hours ago, KathieB said:

Oh, Holly, what a mess! And of course he couldn't reach you. That must have really ratcheted up his anxiety level. I'm guessing that leaving the phone in the car is not a regular practice. It's the evil domino effect. 

I bet it doesn't happen again!  The first thing I'm going to do when we get there is grab him & hug him!

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I bet it doesn't happen again!  The first thing I'm going to do when we get there is grab him & hug him!

Lloyd left his phone at home yesterday when he left to for his rehab session because he "didn't want to talk to people". I jumped all over him when he got home about an hour and a half later than usual. Being unable to reach him to find out where he was ratcheted up my own anxiety levels. It brought home to me how dependent we've become on our cell phones.

On a happier note, last night we  ran into Leah Chase, the Queen of Creole cooking, dining with one of her daughters at a local restaurant that we enjoy. I was a surprise to see them outside of the kitchen at their own restaurant. Stella grinned and said, "Yeah, we eat out, too." Leah says the chef at Sassafras cooks the best smothered okra in town. Without her recommendation, I never would have tried it. It was delicious. Leah just celebrated her 94th birthday. We were at an adjoining table, so we got caught up on family news as we dined. Leah is in the kitchen whenever her restaurant is open, although she is so crippled with bad hips that Lloyd had to help hoist her out of her chair to a standing position when they was ready to leave. 

When we got to The Kid's house yesterday I nearly fainted.  The tree people were there and the yard was fast filling up with sawn limbs.  DS lives in the B unit of a duplex and a limb of the live oak tree next to the A unit had been ripped off down to the root and had fallen across both roofs.  The roof trusses on the A unit have given way and half of them are hanging down through the ceiling into the house, with daylight pouring down through the holes.  In DS' house his front room/ office has no roof or ceiling, The owner of the A unit has asked the tree folks to hoist the remaining tree off o his unit's roof on Monday, so we requested the same, as well as removal of the pine tree that now threatens to take out the rest of DS' house.  We left a message for the insurance adjustor, and will try again today to reach him.  We took DS with us and are crashed in a local motel until after breakfast.