What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We heal more slowly as we age, alas! and there's also the wait for the swelling to go down, especially around the face.  Here's another cyberhug, but I wish I could deliver it in person!

DH's sister dropped by for a short visit on her way to Mobile and her highschool class reunion.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

We heal more slowly as we age, alas! and there's also the wait for the swelling to go down, especially around the face.  Here's another cyberhug, but I wish I could deliver it in person!

DH's sister dropped by for a short visit on her way to Mobile and her highschool class reunion.

I'm actually healing quite well. If the surgeon had an opening in two weeks, I could have had it done then. I'm on a cancellation wait list to try to get in sooner.  The worst part was the couple of days it took to recover from the general anesthesia. The next surgery will be a less intensive anesthesia, like a twilight.  Thanks for all of the well wishes. I've really appreciated all of them.

Sable, it's so nice to hear you are doing well. We had a fun time at the game; the sun came out just long enough to give me a nice sunburn. It will fade back to my normal super-white shade in a few days:giggle: Coming home we left a bit of the exhaust pipe somewhere in Queens:drive:

From early April until the chicks are fledged there's a live camera feed set up at an osprey nest at Wolf's Bay in the southern part of the county:  http://ospreycamera.com/  This morning when I clicked on at daylight one of the two eggs had hatched and I could see the downy little head pop up whilst momma bird was fidgeting over the second egg, which hatched while I was watching, when momma moved and here came the second downy little head.  Later on when I checked back, momma was literally tearing into  catfish that poppa bird had apparently brought her.

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Have a safe trip, Kathie; hopefully the weather will behave for you.

Am not counting on the weather to behave. Postponing trip a day. I don't mind driving in friendly rain, but when the weather guessers toss in the terms "serious flooding", "heavy rain", "tornado watch", "high winds" ... well, no, thanks anyway.

On 4/30/2017, 3:01:52, havanaholly said:

Smart!  Along the coast things are overcast but quiet; north of I-10 it gets "interesting"...

What took 7 hours to drive a week earlier (on a Sunday) took 11 hours to drive today (Monday). It was slow going in light rain for the first couple of hours, a mysterious traffic stop-and-crawl east of Birmingham, several areas of active construction along I-20 and I-59, a ten-mile detour when silly me used the wrong on-ramp after a gas stop, and perfectly timed arrival in NOLA at the evening rush hour .... next time I visit Atlanta, I'm going to take the train!

• Like 1

Over night got really hairy here with strong gusting winds & rain, but clearing by sunrise.  Momma osprey had a rough night, but they obviously build their nests for drainage; the chicks are doing well, as poppa brings home some really lovely huge fish.

Had in my mind to make Mother's Day cards this year-- took some hours all told this weekend (inbetween bathing the dogs, laundering the rugs, replanting the planter boxes and hardening their perimeters with chicken wire so hopefully I don't have to replant due to one of the dogs being a bit of a cheeky monkey who likes to dig up planters apparently :bangin:, cooking, and I don't know what-all else), but here you go:

large.IMG_3918.jpg.df6bbbeac6891ce451c28

I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I found the pattern via a google search for "epp quilt pattern".

• Like 1

What a great idea! I love those.

My daughter and grandson live over 3 hours away, and she needed a babysitter for Friday night (they both work at the family Mexican restaurant, and she had to manger for Cinco de Mayo, bless her heart!). So I went down Friday to baby sit, and me and Jude went shopping. :) We had a good time, and got some wood stuff for him to paint for his mom and my mom. Painting with a 2 year old is always fun.

Left early Saturday to make it home and pass the car off to my husband who had to pick his mom up at the airport. My youngest had a play at 5 ( last high school activity for us! :( ) and they made it in time, with about 15 minutes to spare. Me and Brennen were the last ones who were working on striking the set to leave, so we made it home about 8pm. Long busy day!

Today was easier, husband took his mom to her brother's, boys went to the movies, and I stayed home and made frosting and took a nap.

We're under the two week count down to Brennen's graduation, and Mother's day and Brennen's 18th birthday falls in there too. So a lot going on the next two weeks. Fun! :)

I'm still waiting for the "finished" milleflores quilt top.  We got to go with our AL hiking group to Splinter Hill pitcher plant bog for a hike Saturday AM with the property manager, who is also a botanist.  The trail was covered in crawfish "hills" (DS spotted one mud bug crawling next to a mound)  and on either side of the trail as far as the eye could see to the treeline were stands of pitcher plants in full bloom.  In addition to several species of the traditional-looking tall plants there was a stand of very rare short, bronze-colored pitcher plants rowing beside one end of the boardwalk and several kinds of sundews.  We also got to smell the wintergreen in the "candyroot" plants' roots and a few hardy souls tasted the "horse sugar" leaves and we all sniffed the red bay leaves.  He also showed us some of the baby sassafras trees, which yield file powder as well as root beer flavoring.  I hadn't realized how many gumbo ingredients grow right there in a bog!

Today I finally get to go back to the hospital for my pacer battery check.  The last time I had it checked was also at the hospital but this time I was supposed to go back to the medical park, which is a lot closer to us; and when they changed the venue back to the hospital it moved me over two weeks later.  It gives us an excuse to run errands in town all day, and then I don't have to cook supper and we can go out to eat.

14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I'm still waiting for the "finished" milleflores quilt top. 

Thanks, Holly-- it's slow going, that's for sure. Would help if certain furry people didn't make me have to replant things. :p

I have been busy preparing for a Home and Garden show - this time I will be in the Garden section with my own business.  Mostly Fairy Gardens and supplies for them.

But I did a number on my knee a few days ago and it's not getting better. My rubber-soled shoe caught on the corner of the cushioned mat in front of my work table, and I stumbled, catching myself on my right leg with the knee slightly twisted. I think it would have been better to just go down flat on my face!  I've been limping for a few days, but not too bad. However, this morning I stepped wrong and have made things worse!  Now it is swollen and painful and I can't take even one step on it!  I had DH get my mother's extra walker down from the attic and I'm using that.  I refuse to go to the emergence room but if it isn't better by Monday I will have to see the doctor. I really can't afford to be laid up!  Still have two items to finish making before next Friday. Fortunately I have almost everything else ready to go. But I have to work my booth alone for 2 days - DH has to stay home and take care of my mother. 

I'll have to give this knee a stern talking-to tonight! :bop: No more funny business tomorrow!

Oh, Claudia, I literally feel your pain, having fallen a few times onto my knees and thoroughly boogering them!  Try ice packs for five minutes on, ten minutes off, to reduce the swelling and see about one of those knee braces with the Velcro closures (I have three different styles I use for hiking).

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, Claudia, I literally feel your pain, having fallen a few times onto my knees and thoroughly boogering them!  Try ice packs for five minutes on, ten minutes off, to reduce the swelling and see about one of those knee braces with the Velcro closures (I have three different styles I use for hiking).

Certainly not fun!  I tried the ice packs today - on then off - but didn't notice much difference. DH went to Rite Aid and bought a brace for me, but I don't think it's the right style. Hoping to exchange it tomorrow.  Going to bed early tonight - feels best to be horizontal. Hoping it's better in the morning!  I'm learning that getting older definitely ain't for sissies! :)  

CJ, if you go to the doctor, see if they'll give you a knee brace. I've popped my knee out of the joint a couple times over the years and with the knee brace, I'm walking around (albeit very slowly and somewhat painfully) the next day.

By the way, have you been feeling the earthquakes? I've felt two of them now, but I missed the 3.6 one we had the other night.

For those who want to know what earthquakes, we've had over forty of them in the last week or so, the largest being a 3.6. The epicenters are all located within a couple miles of me and a lot of them closer than that. So between that, the hail, the thunderstorms we just had, and the high wind, it's been sort of exciting here.

Anyway, tonight I'm sitting here cranky and bored and I want to eat something fattening, even though I'm not hungry. I usually never get bored, so that makes it all the worse. And I don't want to work on any miniature stuff either. I'm just bad company tonight. Maybe I should float over to the other forum I'm on where they like to put down anyone on government assistance. They punch my buttons and I can take all my frustration out (nicely and sarcasticly) in a couple posts. That might cure my blues tonight.

For his birthday in March we took The Kid out to Felix's Fish Camp for dinner and they gave him a discount coupon for another family dinner there; so Friday the menfolk hauled me over there for an early Mothers Day dinner. Half the folks in our side of the restaurant were doing the exact same thing!  Today for dinner I'm cooking us all Tbones!