What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

My MIL arrived at our house today for a 6 day stay. Everybody think happy thoughts for me please, this is going to be a rough week. On top of that we also have the youngest kid's 18th birthday and graduation this week. We decided today that we would have his party Wednesday instead of this coming weekend, so that shortens my cake-making time. I really should start on that tonight, but since I made one for Mother's day, I really can't bring myself to start that yet. 

Happy Mother's Day everyone!!

My next door neighbor gifted me with a lovely plant and some delicious homemade crawfish bisque, and another neighbor stopped by to wish me well on Mother's Day. It feels good to have neighbors who care. I sat on the gallery and read a good bit of the day. All in all, pleasantly spent.

On 5/13/2017, 9:26:24, rodentraiser said:

CJ, if you go to the doctor, see if they'll give you a knee brace. I've popped my knee out of the joint a couple times over the years and with the knee brace, I'm walking around (albeit very slowly and somewhat painfully) the next day.

By the way, have you been feeling the earthquakes? I've felt two of them now, but I missed the 3.6 one we had the other night.

No, we haven't felt any of the earthquakes, but we're about 20 miles south of them. 

Didn't go to the doctor yet, but the knee is feeling better. I'm keeping an Ace Bandage on it, and still using the walker. Just a few minutes ago I tried to scoot my chair closer to the computer and my knee just screamed at me!  Maybe I did pop it out of joint!  And maybe I should rethink the doctor's visit.  - Can you tell I HATE going to doctors?   :doctor:

I think you'd know if you popped it out. My kneecap is like a childproof bottle cap. Press and twist, and the knee is gonna pop out. The few times it's happened to me, it's just like someone kicked the legs out from under me. I go straight down. What I'm lucky about is that the knee pops out and pops right back in. If it stayed out of joint, I'd be screaming. Otherwise, all I do is cuss a bit (while on the ground) and then I get up and hobble off.

When I was trying to go into the Army Reserve (when I was much younger), I was supposed to be working up so I could jog two miles. That was the week I both popped my knee and broke my foot, one on each leg. The recruiter was having hysterics, but I jogged the next day anyhow and I was fine.

22 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I think you'd know if you popped it out.

Yes, I think so too. It is steadily getting better; I just have to be patient. I'm keeping the Ace bandage on again today. But I'm back to working on minis, though I'm sitting on a stool instead of standing. So I'm not dead yet if I can still mini.  :construction:

18th birthday party, check, graduation, Check, MIL back home in Texas, check!

I am exhausted, and have done nothing but sit on the sofa this weekend. I'm trying to get enough energy to go down to the craft room and pick the next project. I got a few things at the Miniature Designs mini yard sale a few weeks ago that I'm dying to start on.

I can tell you one thing though, no cakes. 3 cakes in one week is a lot of cake! Next one is in 2 weeks, gives me a little time to recover.

I got a new position at work a few weeks back (yay!!). Unfortunately, I haven't been replaced for my previous position, so I'm doing both jobs (boo!). I was told Friday they hope to have someone in place June 1, but we'll see. They have to take an existing technician and re-assign their duties, and no one wants to do it. One person has already turned it down. But we are about to start a huge project/initiative, and whether or not it goes smooth or rough is a good part on my shoulders. No pressure!! 

Interesting mother's day,  I posted 4 it of 5 isn't bad on facebook, then had to eat my words on Monday when a beautiful bouquet was delivered from my youngest (#5).  Then a couple of days ago, I reached for my paper cutter, not where it's supposed to be.  4 hours later, 2 boxes of material packed, I find the paper cutter no where near where it was supposed to be (and in plain sight) I got the ceiling cut and fitted into the Allison kitchen.

I made Cara Jo a slip, a new dress and a suit and silk & lace blouse and a hat (all by hand) and decided she has enough better wardrobe I'll let it be and get DS#2 to take pictures next time he's here.

Just got back from a week in Arizona, helping my mother choose a retirement community.  She is still independent, but doesn't want the stress of keeping up a house, pool, yard, etc., and wants to be in place when it's time to move to assisted living.  Fortunately, after a rocky start (we visited two places that didn't fit the bill), she found one that she just fell in love with.  It has lots of amenities and is still affordable, with an available one-bedroom apartment that was exactly what she wanted (it has an enclosed "sun room" that she plans to use for her office).  I left her happily planning how she is going to arrange her furniture.  :-)  

I took a break from all things miniature (except a cross-stitch rug) while down there, and there is now so much to catch up on here!

I was laughing when I read this, Deborah - I leave with my mom Thursday to help her move into her new retirement house in Lake Havasue. I'll be there for about two weeks. We have to shop for furniture and have to basically set up a whole new household since my dad is still not sure if he's going to sell the old house here in Washington. I am hoping we have a nice time together, but patience is going to be the key. I am glad it worked out so well for your mom!

I am reading your posts with interest, Deborah and Jodi-  my father passed away on New Year's Eve and now my Mother is considering moving to a retirement village this winter.  She has some health issues but mostly has high anxiety and we would just feel better knowing that she is where she doesn't have to worry about caring for a household or doing yard work (or drive!  LOL)  She visited a few but just can't commit yet.  Her friends are really encouraging her to move.  Can't say that I am quite ready for it either.  sigh.

Well, other than taking care of my Mother's affairs and my Dad's estate, I had a week full of cake baking! I did a wedding cake for my best friend's son. Almond White Cake with Lemon Crème filling and vanilla buttercream frosting.

Well dang..... it won't let me upload it.  :/

Meanwhile in other news...... we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the best kind of minis: our first granddaughter is due to arrive sometime in the next two weeks!!  VERY excited!!  :p

Oh, Jackie! I bet it is so hard for your mom to have so many changes happening. She is so lucky to have you helping her through it all. I am learning so much about all of the challenges that death and advancing age bring. I hope I can turn it into a more positive and easier thing for my kids when the time comes. Helping our parents into their golden years is such a slippery slope. How much help do they really want/need? How prepared are they financially and mentally for all of the changes? In my parents situation, one is totally ready and one is totally not. It's causing a lot of disharmony, and my brother and I are having a hard time navigating in our attempts to help. It sounds like you are very patient and are giving her the time she needs to re-imagine her life and make the choices. Here's a giant hug from the left coast!

• Like 1

Well today I could upload my cake pic!  :clap: 

DD had a good report at her check-up yesterday - doc said she could "cook for another week"!  LOL  Here's to hoping Baby Junia decides to come on her own and induction won't be necessary!  :cheer:

honeycomb cake.jpg

• Like 4

Yum, Jackie!  Kelly, here's a cyber {hug}.

DS#3 is a Lego builder and our local art museum is hosting an exhibit of Sean Kenney's work until mid-September, so we hauled all of us over there to see it.  Simply WOW!, even if you aren't a Lego fan.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

DS#3 is a Lego builder and our local art museum is hosting an exhibit of Sean Kenney's work until mid-September, so we hauled all of us over there to see it.  Simply WOW!, even if you aren't a Lego fan.

Sean Kenney's work was featured at the botanical garden, Powell Gardens, near Kansas City a few years ago. I was seriously impressed by the engineering involved. :) 

One of the small side galleries had tables and buckets of Legos set up for people to build some of their own things, and there was a loop playing on a monitor of his team building one of his cityscapes.

Holly, thanks for the hug. I sure needed it.

I was just awarded a disability after filing in December of 2012. The last hearing I went to was last November and I had a letter from my lawyer in February. Then nothing.

Then all in one week starting Friday before last, I get a letter from the judge and a letter from Social Security and I have to adjust to the fact that everything in my life is going to change. Now there's paperwork coming out of my ears and my lawyer is trying to take more than the $6000 she's entitled to and I am just overwhelmed.

This is a good thing happening, but it seems the older I get, the more resistant to change I am, or maybe it's the tireder I get and the more loathe I am to change anything in my life. I've called Social Services, Social Security, the IRS and a couple more institutions, some of them more than once. I have a thousand question and I'm getting a ton of conflicting info. I have things that need to be done and here we are with a holiday and my hands are tied until Wednesday (because no one sane calls any of those offices on a Tuesday after a holiday). In the meantime, I'm just sitting here waiting and trying to decide the next path I should take in life. This one had better be a darn good decision because I'm getting too old to start over if it turns out bad.

Of course, the first thing I thought of was that I could now buy thousands of dollars of minis, but of course, the saner me took over pretty quickly. Oh, well.

Anyhow, expect me to post and do some really weird things in the next couple of months, at least until I come back down to earth.

Thank you, Kathy. The big question hanging over me is how much will get for back pay and then can I find land cheap enough to buy with it. If I do, where am I going to live if I do find and buy land, because I sure as heck won't be able to afford a house or anything on it. And staying here becomes less appealing every hour.

Well, I'll keep everyone posted. If I can remember my name and what I'm doing here. LOL