What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Holly, the cheapest - and I mean the cheapest house I've seen so far was $49,900. It was cute, but it was a dump as well, needing to have the moldy carpets taken out and the bathtub replaced among other things. I've seen driveways bigger than the lot it was on. It sold in about a day. You can't get a decent house on land, even bank-owned ones, for less than $100,000 around here anymore. And that's the absolute low end of the spectrum.

The amount of money I'm going to get is only going to be roughly a quarter of that and there's no way I will qualify for any kind of loan. Whatever I buy, I have to buy outright. The best thing I saw was a lot without water, septic, or electricity and it had an "old, trashed cabin" on the site. I'm not sure trailers or even single wide manufactured homes are allowed anymore in the county I'm looking in, so I need to do a lot of homework first. And don't even mention tiny homes. All the ones I've seen here are on trailers (I don't want one on a trailer) and they all run $35,000 to $70,000. Um, no.

I've got lots of time though and I'll keep plugging.

I visited my attorney today and signed the final papers for Lloyd's probate and my new will. If his one daughter who has an inheritance coming accepts my accounting of the estate, it should be a done deal. (Yeah, one daughter, by law. It's Louisiana. Don't ask. You wouldn't believe it, anyway.)  It feels as if a door has closed. I hope one day soon it will feel like it is opening again. The rainy weather seems to be clouding my thinking.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I visited my attorney today and signed the final papers for Lloyd's probate and my new will. If his one daughter who has an inheritance coming accepts my accounting of the estate, it should be a done deal. (Yeah, one daughter, by law. It's Louisiana. Don't ask. You wouldn't believe it, anyway.)  It feels as if a door has closed. I hope one day soon it will feel like it is opening again. The rainy weather seems to be clouding my thinking.

That sounds too simple. In Fl, NC and NV probate can take a few months with Notice to Creditors and final distribution can't go out until after the Final estate tax return. But I've been dealing with my BIL's estate and he was a single man.  It's probably less hassle when it's a spouse with joint accounts.

43 minutes ago, Sable said:

That sounds too simple. In Fl, NC and NV probate can take a few months with Notice to Creditors and final distribution can't go out until after the Final estate tax return. But I've been dealing with my BIL's estate and he was a single man.  It's probably less hassle when it's a spouse with joint accounts.

It has been 4 months. Louisiana succession laws and regulations are a world unto themselves. It was made easier because he had a will; there was no estate tax and no creditors. 

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, here's a {HUG}.  I hope Gloria has been some help.

Gloria has been a great help all along. Did I tell you she had a mild stroke Easter Sunday? She's recovering quite well and giving her children a hard time because they're hovering and cramping her style. They haven't given her the car keys back yet. She's ready to go back to work. (For those who don't know Gloria, she's a distant cousin, 88 years old, works conventions for the New Orleans Visitors and Convention Bureau, and a dear, dear friend.)

24 minutes ago, KathieB said:

It has been 4 months. Louisiana succession laws and regulations are a world unto themselves. It was made easier because he had a will; there was no estate tax and no creditors. 

I'm very glad you haven't had to go through too much hassle. Any chance that  you will still go on the riverboat cruise in Europe? Are you still using DuoLingo?

8 hours ago, Sable said:

I'm very glad you haven't had to go through too much hassle. Any chance that  you will still go on the riverboat cruise in Europe? Are you still using DuoLingo?

I cancelled the cruise. Too much, too soon, to do on my own. Stopped the DuoLingo but will be starting again. French can be useful in New Orleans, especially in deciphering French-language newspapers and church and government documents from the 18th & 19th centuries. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SHE's HERE!!!  :clap::cloud9:    Little Junia Rosalie was born on her daddy's birthday- Friday, June 9 weighing in at 7lbs 15oz and 21.5 inches long!  She's beautiful and we are SO excited for our first grandbaby!!

IMG_2621 - Copy.JPG

• Like 8

I knew the shutters would always bug me unless I made them correct so I carefully pried the louver wand off,cleaned up and repainted. Now have to re glue the wand and touch up. Then they can go on the house and I'll be happy!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrchob said:

I knew the shutters would always bug me unless I made them correct so I carefully pried the louver wand off,cleaned up and repainted. Now have to re glue the wand and touch up. Then they can go on the house and I'll be happy!!

I could have told you that.  BTDT.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I put my #4 Barbie and my 1966 American Girl Barbie up for sale in Craigslist. Actually, the #4 Barbie my grandmother used to make clothes for our Barbies. When she passed away in 1984 I found it in perfect condition in her sewing room. It's been in my closet ever since. So she is in really good shape.  Anyway, someone bought them today along with my case and whatever clothing I had left from the 60's.  

• Like 1

Today we took the youngest to the orientation/registration day for college. It's a little over 2 hours away. We've tried 4 different ways of going, and I think we found the way we want him to go today. We are very happy with the school, and I'm very excited for him. Since Lawson, the middle child, goes to school only about 25 minutes away, he has decided to stay home and take the park and ride into downtown Atlanta. So now he will finally get his chance to be the "only child". The youngest got his chance a couple years back when Lawson lived on campus for a year.

Trying to stay cool ( almost 100 here!)  and out of the smoke from the forest fire!!!    I spent a lot of time today surfing Pinterest for patterns to make wallpaper.  I love making my own wallpaper.   I change my mind a lot but I love working with graphics.