What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

On 8/3/2017, 2:00:45, L Swearengin said:

Where in SOCA?  Humidity?  Wow.  Never saw a humid day until I left the state in 73

yesterday humidity was 66% ...it's been averaging high 40's for humidity which is unheard of for us ....I'm in Rancho Cucamonga ...on the way to Palm Springs and Vegas

• Like 1

Well this will sound very silly to most folks but I am planning a trip. First let me put you in the picture. For many years my husband drove me everywhere, when my husband was too ill and had to give up driving I hardly went out as I was caring for him,  after he went into the care home I started to drive again but I only drove the car within my own town for groceries etc but if it was anything other than that my daughter or SIL drove me.  I realized that is silly as I am perfectly good driver I have just got out of the habit and we have had tons of road changes near me so single lanes are now triples  and it seems a bit scary.

Well I have decided that I am going to drive to the US border today or tomorrow, it will be a dry run to get me ready for  collecting the stuff I have shipped to my US address I have over there .It is 20 years since I did this.  I have  map, a full tank and am ready to go, I just need the courage to start. It is not far but in my heart I feel like I am driving across Canada.

So that is what I am doing this week, very small, very simple but very scary...mmm will I/won't I. This is very daunting

XX Jeannine

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Well this will sound very silly to most folks but I am planning a trip. First let me put you in the picture. For many years my husband drove me everywhere, when my husband was too ill and had to give up driving I hardly went out as I was caring for him,  after he went into the care home I started to drive again but I only drove the car within my own town for groceries etc but if it was anything other than that my daughter or SIL drove me.  I realized that is silly as I am perfectly good driver I have just got out of the habit and we have had tons of road changes near me so single lanes are now triples  and it seems a bit scary.

Well I have decided that I am going to drive to the US border today or tomorrow, it will be a dry run to get me ready for  collecting the stuff I have shipped to my US address I have over there .It is 20 years since I did this.  I have  map, a full tank and am ready to go, I just need the courage to start. It is not far but in my heart I feel like I am driving across Canada.

So that is what I am doing this week, very small, very simple but very scary...mmm will I/won't I. This is very daunting

XX Jeannine

Jeannine, I'm very excited for you that you're grabbing the bull by the horns and taking the plunge!!!  Please keep us posted and snap a picture when you get to the border!

57 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Well this will sound very silly to most folks but I am planning a trip. ... I have  map, a full tank and am ready to go, I just need the courage to start. It is not far but in my heart I feel like I am driving across Canada. ...So that is what I am doing this week, very small, very simple but very scary...mmm will I/won't I. This is very daunting

Jeannine, I know the feeling. Although I was a fearless driver for years, even crossing the country alone once, Then for 13 years II didn't drive except for the odd short, brief run. When my husband died earlier this year, I had to start driving in New Orleans, a city designed to get one lost with a mix of curving streets (dictated by the bend in the river) and an interstate system dropped right on top of the maze. It took me a few months to get relatively comfortable, but now I've even managed a couple round trips to Atlanta, with two more planned for the coming weeks. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a chauffeur, but I know I can do it myself now.

I'm sure you'll handle the trip well. You go, girl! :cheer: 

Thank you so much, I have goose bumps now but I am determined, tidying all up today, then tomorrow I am off.

If I get nervous I will envision that little cheerleader picture cheering me on.

Oh and I forgot 1 thing, there is a Greenleaf kit available  on craigs list almost at the border , very close to where I will be crossingso  I may just feel comfortable enough to make an extra turn and grab it

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

yesterday humidity was 66% ...it's been averaging high 40's for humidity which is unheard of for us ....I'm in Rancho Cucamonga ...on the way to Palm Springs and Vegas

Grew up in Placentia,  brother lives in Redlands.   I love the desert, but alas the hubby hates CA.  Be careful of fires. Best Greek I've had is in Baker.

• Like 1

My sister passed away this morning. Although it was expected, I'm still kind of numb and in a daze. I keep playing the song "Falling Slowly" over and over. It sort of explains our relationship, her choice to not fight her cancer and my interpretation of the song's lyrics 'sinking boat'  Her wish was to be buried at sea in a steel casket off of Ft Lauderdale. Although she didn't have a penny to her name, I will see that her wish is granted. Enough said. 

• Like 2

She is lucky to have a sister that cares about her wishes, Denise. It's difficult when we have to take responsibility for the choices of other people, especially family. You must feel a little dumped on with having dealt with so many issues surrounding  your brother-in-law's estate recently. You are a good person for also taking this on. I hope you find peace in that.

Big hugs,

Jodi

• Like 1

We heard back from the contractor last week and in the AM we are taking The Kid back to his (hopefully) now-completed house in Tallahassee.  I'm cooking him one last shrimp dinner tonight to hold him until his next visit in December.

• Like 3