What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Well, I have a little bit of a big mouth sometimes. And today I was telling someone about an issue, and an important deadline I found out today we couldn't make. Well they offered to help, and I panicked and accepted it. Now I am in trouble with my husband, and have a big (HUGE) favor hanging over my head. But I was stuck, if I didn't accept, they would have their feelings hurt, and upset that I let the deadline pass with the consequences that came with it when I had the chance to fix it. No winning with that one. I am very thankful I have friends that will hugely help me, but goodness, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut!!

Today I interviewed the first moving company and ordered a small mountain of packing boxes. In one way I wish I had help with the packing, but in another way I'm glad I can pack and mark the boxes so I'll know where to find stuff when it comes to unpacking. I'm finding stuff in the storage unit that I didn't even know we'd moved from Missouri. The mortgage paperwork is proceeding well. Closing is set for August 31. Then I'll come back to NOLA to finish packing. Movers to come Sept 21. That gives this old lady enough time to pace herself.

• Like 2

Sable, I am so sorry for your loss. :( Very awesome of you to make sure her wishes are granted.

Kathie, woohoo! It's getting closer! And with the movers coming the 21st, you could make it just in time for the mini show on the 23rd! Because of course that will be the first thing on your mind moving into a new house. :)

• Like 1

Thank you all for cheers on my driving dare. It is all part of this Life change plan I have. Since my husband had to go into care I have been something if a recluse so I had to make a plan to change that. 1. . get some volunteer work.. did that.  2.  start working on my dollhouse plans..did that, 3. reinstate my US mail drop box so I can buy in the US did that.. the driving across the border was the dry run to make sure I could do it. did that. Nest I have to try to drive to my best friends place, it is only 12 miles or so but complicated and always in heavy traffic, going to try that this week too.  The Life change list is quite long but I have made a good start.

• Like 2

Jeannine, that is awesome, good for you. :) I'm excited for you. I too, can relate to the scared of driving part. My husband takes me almost everywhere, even to work. But, now, I'm even scared riding most places, especially if it involves the interstate (I live in the Atlanta suburbs, so there's always traffic and people everywhere). Very sad. That runs in my family though. I can see myself becoming recluse when I'm older if I let it happen, so I'm hoping I'll get better.

2 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

with the movers coming the 21st, you could make it just in time for the mini show on the 23rd!

LOL ... yeah, right. No, wait ... I think I've already packed my Superwoman cape. *sigh*

• Like 2

Kathie, this little observation may help you. I have packed and moved house three times between Canada and the UK and countless times in each country in my life. On the 3 overseas moves I packed some things and let the professionals pack some. On all 3 occasions I had several things broken but not one item that I packed was among them. I packed the most precious most fragile items myself too. My packing took up less space than theirs and everything travelled well. I found the packers  moved so quick it was a roll in a  bit of bubble wrap or paper and then in a box.. I packed carefully and packed each box according to size. eg if I had a 6inch space I went and found something that fit that space, everything was well wrapped but snug so no moving about in the box. I transported my great grandmothers glass Christmas tree decorations, each one individually wrapped them popped in a shoe or a teapot. I would never let pro's pack anything that I was very fond of or that was irreplaceable. I marked every box with a number and kept a book with each page corresponding to that number so I could find anything at a glance. It took time at the departure home but it was very easy at the other end. The only down side was that we didn't get insurance on the boxes we packed.. it was Ok as nothing was broken but if a box had gone missing we would have had no hope.

Oh and if you have pro's do it be careful what you leave lying around. I had some craft items in plastic open Rubbermaid  tubs that I was dropping off at a thrift store, when I came to look for them they had gone. When we opened the pro's packing at the new house there they were, half jars of paint and other crazy stuff  wrapped in paper and the really silly bit, they wrapped and packed the plastic tubs too!!

You have to laugh!!

Good Luck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Kathie, this little observation may help you.

Jeannine, I hear you. I, too, have moved numerous times, and pretty much packed myself or with help from a spouse. Never have had anything broken or lost. May be some kind of a record. When we left land to live on our boat for a few of years, I numbered each box and made a detailed inventory list of its contents, so as to be able to locate an item in our storage locker that we might need. As it turned out, we made only two trips to the storage locker, each time to bring items from the boat. Found out that most of what we have, we don't need at all. 

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

... Found out that most of what we have, we don't need at all. 

Wow! What a profound statement.

Thank you.

Kathie, do you mind if I make myself a quotation poster of that?

I'm in the process of hoeing out my arts + crafts supplies and need to be much more ruthless than I have thus far. Perhaps this could motivate me. 

On 8/7/2017, 11:36:07, Sable said:

My sister passed away this morning. 

Sable, I'm sorry for your loss. You've had a very rough year. Please accept my condolences. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Kathie, do you mind if I make myself a quotation poster of that?

I don't mind at all. :) 

I just finished signing a bajillion forms for the mortgage company. It pleased me to realize that I understood what I was signing. The people I'm working with have been very patient, explaining the process in understandable terms and answering all of my questions. Now I have to venture outside to get the packet to the FedEx drop box. Temp in the 90s, feels as if humidity is around 110%. 

I have an "in" with my movers.  (When ever it actually happens).  I have all my minis packed securely.   Not letting them touch them.  Today I packed the rolls of wallpaper and long sheets.  The household items will be packed by my daughter and husband.  They own the packing company.  She knows not to make her momma mad.  Takes a lot for me to get there, but when I do, takes me longer to get over it.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone - it's been a while.......

a lot of life has happened: some good, some not so good - and as always in life: some tragedies as well. In early March my mom's treatment met with some complications which led to her passing in late April. Trying to get my family sorted while finishing up my degree has been quite a ride.....

As my mom has never dwelled on the bad, let's move on to the positives in life: I finished my Masters, took the licensure and passed, got a 12 week contract right out of school and I will start my new permanent job on the 23rd of August. 

There hasn't been a lot of time (or energy) to work on minis - but I did get a fantastic little masterpiece from IGMA fellow Linda Cummings and it made a lot of things a whole lot better. I am easing myself back into my houses - I still need to finish my Cape house (as if I am anywhere near finishing it - I can't even decide on what to do with the bathroom....:rolleyes:).

Anyhow, I've been checking in here from time to time - lots of new members: Welcome all to the crazyness of the miniature world!

Chris

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Soapz said:

a lot of life has happened: some good, some not so good ... I will start my new permanent job on the 23rd of August.

Sorry to hear about the tragedies, Chris. Prayers for you and your family. Congratulations on completing your degree and earning your license! Where is your new job located?

Took the youngest kid to college today. :( I'm excited for him, but a little nervous and sad too. My husband, though, is a complete mess. He was upset when the middle went, but this time is much worse. I feel so bad for him.

The middle kid is back living at home, though, since his school is close. So not kidless yet. But he's in his last year, so it could be soon...

10 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Took the youngest kid to college today. :( I'm excited for him, but a little nervous and sad too. My husband, though, is a complete mess. He was upset when the middle went, but this time is much worse. I feel so bad for him.

The middle kid is back living at home, though, since his school is close. So not kidless yet. But he's in his last year, so it could be soon...

Get your hubs interested in outdoor (or other) activities y'all can both enjoy doing together, that having kids at home don't give you time for.

My sister's burial at sea is all set for Thursday morning.  Although ashes spread at sea is common here off Ft Lauderdale, full body is pretty rare. However, I've got the right people doing it so all the regulations will be met. My brother is sending a flower ring specially made because there can't be any plastic, everything has to be biodegradable.  No embalming as that is not environmentally friendly.  We have to ride two hours east to get into 300' of water. It's too hot for mourning clothing so it will feel weird to wear casual boat clothes.  The funeral home orchestrating this is giving me a large discount and upgraded the boat to a 65' yacht because I gave them permission to video the process so they can use it for future advertising. I just made them promise not to video any of the family members. I just hope the ocean is calm.

Since everything is arranged, I decided to runaway from the Coral Springs home and spend the night at our Vero home. I brought her huge box of photos and just finished sorting them out so I can enlarge a few of them for her service. It felt good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sable said:

My sister's burial at sea is all set for Thursday morning.  Although ashes spread at sea is common here off Ft Lauderdale, full body is pretty rare. However, I've got the right people doing it so all the regulations will be met. My brother is sending a flower ring specially made because there can't be any plastic, everything has to be biodegradable.  No embalming as that is not environmentally friendly.  We have to ride two hours east to get into 300' of water. It's too hot for mourning clothing so it will feel weird to wear casual boat clothes.  The funeral home orchestrating this is giving me a large discount and upgraded the boat to a 65' yacht because I gave them permission to video the process so they can use it for future advertising. I just made them promise not to video any of the family members. I just hope the ocean is calm.

Since everything is arranged, I decided to runaway from the Coral Springs home and spend the night at our Vero home. I brought her huge box of photos and just finished sorting them out so I can enlarge a few of them for her service. It felt good.

I love that you are completing your sister's final wish with an at sea burial. How wonderful that you have been able to arrange it. My Dad wanted this type of burial but it is not legal in Australia. Ironically, he died on a boat so he kind of got what he wanted in his own way. :)

What you wear is unimportant, it's the sentiment and love that you have put into these preparations that truly honour her life. Safe travels to you and your family on Thursday.  

Oh, Lawanda,, we love the Phoenicia!  When y'all finally move to Ocean Springs, PM me your phone and email and let's plan a meet up! 

After breakfast, which I'm on my way to make, I get to go in for my pacemaker check.  The electrocardiology office at the medical center on Nine Mile Road closed down, so my checkups are now at the hospital downtown.

• Like 1