What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

16 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I keep hearing about the lack of water because of storm prep, even from friends in Alabama. That really freaks me out. Who thinks about water until there's a chance you can't get it. So scary. Makes me want to start hoarding water. Hope this storm misses everyone, sounds like a real monster.

Here in the west even the dogs are having a hard time breathing, this smoke is killing my sinuses, the air is so thick and awful, I live right under the mountains and can barely see them today. 

Stay safe ... those fires are a bear 

• Like 1

We always fill all our buckets, sinks & the tub as well as all the bottles I clean out and keep fresh water in.  I can't remember ever buying water for emergencies, even when our electricity was out for three days after a storm when we lived in Havana (FL) that left us without power for our pump.

• Like 1

I think if my house was in danger of being severely damaged or destroyed a bath or bucketful of water would not be a lot of reassurance to me . If one had to run from the house and abandon it I would have the water in my car, very portable and ready to go anywhere. I do keep a handy  go bag ready here in case of emergencies, I have for years because I am right on the fault line for the expected earthquake . I cannot begin to imagine however the state of anxiety  that makes folks almost fight over water.. Oh please be safe..good to know you got a place  for yourselves with your dog Sable.

• Like 1

Here's the thing about water. Bread fights I'll never understand but water is a true necessity. After a hurricane we generally lose power for weeks. The water plants shut down so we can't flush toilets or get fresh potable water. We store water in tubs and buckets so we can flush our toilets and do general cleaning.  Water stored in bathtubs and buckets is no longer drinkable after a day or so so you have to boil it using propane gas (remember no power and few homes have gas appliances here) or put bleach in it (I'm never going to do that). In our heat it is recommended to have a gallon of water per day per person. And an additional gallon for bathing, cooking and cleaning.  So a family of 4 for 10 days might require 40 gallons of water. Therefore, if you can only get 2 gallons of fresh bottled water, people panic. 

Florida has 20.6 million people, we all can't leave the state. There aren't that many Holiday Inns in the NC mountains to hold us all. 

In the southern part of the state most of our homes are built to very strict codes. We basically live in concrete bunkers. Most modern  structures should do ok, even in a cat 4. The homes built post 1987 and pre 1991 worry me though, building was a little sloppy during that period as was evident during hurricane Andrew. 

For some reason the northern part of the state only started using our stricter codes around 1998. I expect more damage up there than down here.  

Thanks for letting me go on and on about this. The storm could very well be heading more east and not affect us so severely. And it will be just another fire drill. But better well planned out and safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I guess I would take the cold we have over being in hurricane path.  Water could be a problem for weeks.  I was looking at the hurricane safety items on accuweather today, packing an emergency bag, making sure you have one gallon of water per person, and head to a shelter.  There are no shelters up this far north!  That must be awful to be in the path of such disaster.

42 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I think if my house was in danger of being severely damaged or destroyed a bath or bucketful of water would not be a lot of reassurance to me . If one had to run from the house and abandon it I would have the water in my car, very portable and ready to go anywhere...

Sable explained quite clearly why we save water in sinks,, tubs & buckets.  The potable water goes into our huge 8-gallon water container  and our hiking water bottles and will, indeed,, go with us when we have to evacuate. 

3 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I guess I would take the cold we have over being in hurricane path.  Water could be a problem for weeks.  I was looking at the hurricane safety items on accuweather today, packing an emergency bag, making sure you have one gallon of water per person, and head to a shelter.  There are no shelters up this far north!  That must be awful to be in the path of such disaster.

It's a gallon per person per day. Where are you located?

3 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

Northern Maine, we rarely have any hurricane activity, and then it is mostly run down.  I can't comprehend 185 mph winds!

Do you ever get nor'easter blizzards? That's when I see the bread fights on tv. 

• Like 1

Absolutely go on and on Sable, I clearly no nothing about the situation and that makes me ignorant, I would much prefer to be educated. I had no idea  of the huge lengthy impact the  hurricane could bring, so of course any stored water is a great idea.  I think I am thinking more along the lines of a tornado that may flatten houses in it's path but overall it leaves much OK. I would like to know what folkd  do if it happens as you say there are not enough places for everyone. I think, if I am reading this right, many houses would stand up to it but would be left without the resources we take so much for granted. It is an dreadful thing to face and I think you are very brave , I guess folks live where folks live and that is the reality and the hurricanes come around seasonally(I just learned that yesterday)  I have seen on the TV about other countries having huge disasters but not so much about the US and that seems very wrong. The code info was interesting too, I guess the houses not up to code are more vulnerable but then they would also use more resources after so it would seem those codes should be tight. I feel very humble after reading this topic, I know nothing really and  yet I think of the US as being my neighbours. I need to do some readimg, thank you for sharing, I am not at all happy with my lack of knowledge, but I promise my good wishes and prayers are very sincere. So for anyone who is in the path of this monster, I truly hope it burns itself out soon and not near anyone.

I thought the comparison of Hurricane Irma's size to France with its 185 mph (or so) winds gave a pretty good description; that much wind will flatten houses and rearrange the landscape, so I am praying nonstop for the folks who live on the islands in its path.  Houses and things can be replaced, but not the people we know & love.

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...I would like to know what folkd  do if it happens as you say there are not enough places for everyone... many houses would stand up to it but would be left without the resources...

When we were travelling around and Katrina hit we met lots of northbound folks with their travel trailers and tents in the campgrounds we stayed in.  When Jacksonville was evacuated for a storm people strung out along I-10 and camped in the rest areas.  I have done it both ways, and it's no fun to stay in a house without power or running water, even with a generator (for one thing, you have generators going off & on all over the neighborhood from those who stay, which makes sleeping interesting).  You do what you have to do.  We have routines, depending on whether we can stay or have to go.  So far it's looking like we might miss it again, but we aren't even halfway through the season (June1-November 30, and we've had recent storms into December).

10 hours ago, Sable said:

Do you ever get nor'easter blizzards? That's when I see the bread fights on tv. 

Yes we do get the winter blizzards, but none of that seems so destructive as 185 mph winds or tornadoes.  It is rarely that you can't make it to work, the roads are kept up pretty well with the huge snow plows and giant snow blowers.  Now that I am retired you just read a good book and plow later.

It's interesting what you get used to. Tornadoes scare the daylights out of me (and I grew up in the Midwest), but I'm not at all worried about earthquakes and I've been through both Loma Prieta and the Nisqually quake here in the PNW.

I still keep a flashlight hanging on a hook next to the bed and my shoes go next to the bed each night as a just in case. When we were having the swarm of earthquakes here, if I felt them, I'd wait for a couple seconds and see how strong they were going to get, ready to run into the bathroom and fill the tub. I keep 4 gallons of water in the fridge all the time even though I know that in a strong quake, a fridge will open and everything comes crashing out.

Of course, though, I sleep under a window that could rain shards down on my face and I have a heavy lamp and (usually) all my books and catalogs next to the bed too. Any of those could do me in in an earthquake. Some things I'm not real smart about.

I feel much better prepared to deal with fire and earthquakes, but if I had to face a hurricane or tornado, I'd be scared witless. I'd evacuate in the face of fire, but I'm afraid I'd be tempted to ride out a hurricane and that could be deadly. That's the problem with not being familiar with different kinds of disasters.

Kelly what you say pretty much sums it up, I guess we get used to what we have to, but we tend to think it won't happen to us if it is a bit different. I had a friend years ago when Mount St Helens blew, her parents were hippy types, all cheesecloth and sandals and they went to see the area when it started to become active but before  it blew, just for the experience they said, sadly they did not return.

Sable I am ignorant of the hurricane, not rude, just non educated on that point. After I wrote it yesterday I started to watch the news, I don't usually as it always seems to be full of politics and crime, but I found a very good speaker on CNN and he was right to the point. I have  found a few sites tracking it's course so I am learning a bit ,more every hour and that is good. Interestingly, I was in a government building today which had boht US and Canadian border folks in it, and two of the border people were discussing  Irma. one US official had lived in Florida and I was hanging on to every word, she seemed quite matter of fact about getting ready each year.

I have a great deal of respect for volcanoes after Mt. St. Helens. I was in the show ring with my dog and we were doing off leash heeling. My dog for no reason we could figure at the time just took off running twice during the exercise and he seemed scared - and believe me, nothing scared that animal. We were 5th in the ring and it opened at 8am. On Monday, I was going by a newsstand and saw the time that Mt. St. Helens blew. Given how long each dog was in the ring, my dog started to run at the same time the volcano went. I can't help thinking he could feel it all the way down to the south. We were in Pleasanton, California.

Yep. we got the ash here too, I remember gathering it and mixing it with glaze . I painted a Mount St Helens on a pot  with the date and details   used the glaze  and fired  it.

Kelly. judging by what you said you must have been doing obedience with your dog. I used to show dogs but not in obedience, I was never very good at that LOL

What! Fires as well.. we are not getting that news over here as they are focused on the hurricanes and the earthquake off Mexico. Everyone in the PNW please stay safe and indoors out of that smoke if you can! 

Don't leave it too late to evacuate if need be... bush fires can be very unpredictable and very fast. We've lost many a life over here of people who thought they could out run the flames in their cars. 

Stay safe everyone!

A pleasant surprise! I was clearing/packing a closet this morning. Pulled an extra couch cushion off the top shelf and discovered a front-opening Cheltenham dollhouse kit! The package is addressed to havanaholly. Lord knows how long I've had it. I'll look forward to moving it high on the list of houses to complete once I'm settled. I've been wishing I had a front-opening house for a long time, totally forgetting that dear Holly had passed this one along to me. Doh!

• Like 1

Well I have just had men in to fix my microwave, it broke  6 weeks ago, took them two weeks to make an appointment to come, one man arrived and said he couldn't do it on his own as it is built in and need one to hold and one to screw it out. I offered him a man but he refused saying it was against their policies.Then it took another two weeks to want to come back, they day they phoned me I was rushing back to the hospital, just home for 5 minutes to let the dogs out, it was the day John died so I said no. Then it took another two weeks to get another appointment. Anyway today it has gone. I wonder if it takes 2 weeks before they phone me to tell me it is fixed now!! Then two weeks before they come, hopefully with two men. It is still under warranty .

I have been watching a free dollhouse on Craigs list in my area, looks quite nice, so yesterday I contacted them and today there is an email to say it is mine  This is it. any ideas? I think it looks kind of interesting and maybe I can fix it and donate it to something  Is it an Auther

free house 1.jpg

free house 2.jpg

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

A pleasant surprise! I was clearing/packing a closet this morning. Pulled an extra couch cushion off the top shelf and discovered a front-opening Cheltenham dollhouse kit! The package is addressed to havanaholly. Lord knows how long I've had it. I'll look forward to moving it high on the list of houses to complete once I'm settled. I've been wishing I had a front-opening house for a long time, totally forgetting that dear Holly had passed this one along to me. Doh!

ROTFLMAO!!!