What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

And meanwhile your brain can quietly mull over where the chart got off to.  The Greek Orthodox church in Pensacola is putting on their Greek Festival this weekend so today we shall go stuff our faces with wonderful Greek food and tomorrow our friend Kathy is performing at the Sunday Jazz Brunch at Seville Quarter.

• Like 1

I'm up much earlier than I would like to be today. My cat woke me up knocking over everything on the counter. And lately, being awake for even a couple minutes gets me started thinking about work, and stresses me so much I can't go back to sleep. I will be so glad when things settle down. Monday is the last day of the 6 week project of deploying computers to every student in all 52 schools (45,000 devices in all). So at least there's that. But of course the next project is already going on and overlapping. I hope by Christmas things will be calmer. I hate being this involved and worried about things all the time.

I don't have anything going on today, I don't think we even need to go grocery shopping, so I'm hoping to make it downstairs to the craft room and work on something. Goodness knows I have lots to choose from. I got a few simple kits from Cindy Crane a few weeks back for non-mini things like little boxes and tool boxes, and even a little 2 story roombox house, not in any particular scale. She's been having local classes with paper crafting to paint and decorate these. Tomorrow I'll.head to Miniature Designs for her next class, we will be making glass Christmas ornaments and covering with rice paper and lace and things. Yay! That will be fun.

Glad you get to have some me time this weekend.  My weekends are so precious to me, when someone asks my plans for the weekend my response is absolutely nothing.  Which is just how I like it.  Gives me the option to do whatever I want, which is usually working on my dollhouses.

So, I said I had nothing to do, and no grocery shopping??? I lied.

We had to go pick Lawson's car up from the shop, and while we're out, may as well run to Target for paper plates.

And a whole bunch of other stuff apparently. And then lunch, Best Buy, Home Goods, and Michael's. Turned out to be a long and very expensive trip for paper plates. (and yes, I did actually remember paper plates... Barely.) But it was fun, and I bought a black craft pumpkin to make a mini scene in, so I'm about to go play with that!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

So, I said I had nothing to do, and no grocery shopping??? I lied.

We had to go pick Lawson's car up from the shop, and while we're out, may as well run to Target for paper plates.

And a whole bunch of other stuff apparently. And then lunch, Best Buy, Home Goods, and Michael's. Turned out to be a long and very expensive trip for paper plates. (and yes, I did actually remember paper plates... Barely.) But it was fun, and I bought a black craft pumpkin to make a mini scene in, so I'm about to go play with that!

I am about to embark on a similar adventure. It really hurts the pocketbook when so many stores are in the same vicinity!

• Like 2

When my elderly parents moved to MA to my younger brother I was deluged with stuff my dad wanted me to take.  Today I moved a bunch of it in a different bay in the barn, there were 5 trunks, all old, one was my grandparents metal enameled trunk the brought with them from Italy in the late 1800’s, I assumed it was empty because my uncle took it to my dads so I could pick it up. I opened it thinking to fill it up with some of the material and other things and there was a box at the bottom labeled doll furniture in my dad’s handwriting.  I cut it open and there was a set of furniture that I was given for this huge dollhouse when I was about 6.  It was probably 1/6 scale, and my fun was decorating it, I painted and wall papered but wasn’t into dolls.  The other thing in the box was my little 8” Betsy McCall doll, that I had been missing for years, she is in great condition and so is the furniture, they are black with various decorations and include a drop down desk, a rocking chair, a spinning wheel with bench and a very long bench.   I like the Betsy McCall dolls because their bendable knees and elbows allowed them to ride my bryer horses and the metal Tonka toys!

• Like 2

I heard tonight that my 22-month-old grand niece will be coming over to trick or treat on Halloween. So I stopped at Walmart and bought a Minnie Mouse costume for me to wear.   Minnie is her 2nd best friend after Curious George, which she owns in several iterations. Curious George, Pajama George, Baby George, etc.

My costume is actually sold as an adult sized onesie-style sleeping garment with a hood that serves as Minnie's head, but it will be fun to see how the little one reacts to a bigger-than-life Minnie. :D 

Oooh, how fun Kathie! My grandson is 2 1/2, and he loves Mickey Mouse right now. Funny, Mickey wasn't much of a thing when my kids were little. But I have not thought to dress up for him. I don't think I'll put that on my list. :) We are going to take a ride on Thomas the Train next weekend, I'm excited to see how he'll like that. I always wanted to take my youngest, who loved Thomas, but we never did. 

28 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Holly.  I wanna go .  Greek is my favorite food.   Is it an annual event.  Eat a plate for me.

Lawanda, there is a HUGE Greek festival in Fort Walton Beach every year that has outgrown their church and is held in the Civic Center on Okaloosa Island.  The one in Pensacola is also annual, and still fits (more or less) in the church's property.  When y'all get moved to Ocean Springs you'll have to come stay with us to attend the one in Ft Walton; the one here is a day trip.  DH got a roast lamb dinner; I gave him one of my dolmathes (local folks add ground beef to the filling) for half his orzo & a bite of Greek style green beans, but I was a piggy and polished off two spanakopetas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Holly, spanakopeta is my favorite!!!, next is the kabobs, (can't spell the Greek work. Lol).  Tazeki is one thing I really need to learn how to make.  I will take you up on the Greek festival........ IF we ever get out if misery. 

Armenian cooking has many of the same dishes as Greek cuisine Here is a good Tzatziki recipe.

1 1/2 c whole milk yogurt

1/2 large cucumber seeded (and I peel) grated and drained

2 large cloves garlic minced

2 TBS extra virgin olive oil

1 TBS white vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

Combine yogurt, garlic, oil vinegar and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Then add drained cucumber.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrchob said:

Armenian cooking has many of the same dishes as Greek cuisine Here is a good Tzatziki recipe.

1 1/2 c whole milk yogurt

1/2 large cucumber seeded (and I peel) grated and drained

2 large cloves garlic minced

2 TBS extra virgin olive oil

1 TBS white vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

Combine yogurt, garlic, oil vinegar and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Then add drained cucumber.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the plain whole you hard in Mississippi.   This area doesn't sell it in any stores.  I so miss Publix.   Thank you

14 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Hopefully I'll be able to find the plain whole you hard in Mississippi.   This area doesn't sell it in any stores.  I so miss Publix.   Thank you

You could try straining plain Greek yogurt for at least 3 hours. Can use cheesecloth or  paper towel in a strainer

• Like 1

There are three Publix Supermarkets in Mobile.  There is also a Nepalese restaurant in Mobile.  Our local Greek restaurant in Pensacola movd to Gulf Breeze, and finally closed down; not for lack of business, I can tell you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I took pictures of my “new” find, i am sure they were furniture in my very large childhood  dollhouse.  The desk has two drawers and a drop down desk area, there was a tiny metal framed photo inside.

5EF9A70A-AA7F-4167-A502-8B0911B83A73.jpeg

From here it looks like Burt Lancaster (drool).

• Like 1

What an absolutely wonderful find, how very special, .I have goosebumps thinking of it.

Re yoghurt, I make my own and if I want it to be Greek yoghurt I  just strain it, which is what  it actually  is. Regular yoghurt  strained. The liquid I use in bread

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeannine said:

What an absolutely wonderful find, how very special, .I have goosebumps thinking of it.

Re yoghurt, I make my own and if I want it to be Greek yoghurt I  just strain it, which is what  it actually  is. Regular yoghurt  strained. The liquid I use in bread

I make my own yogurt too, occasionally I strain it for Greek yogurt, but usually only when a recipe called for it.  I spent a lot of time baking bread last winter, I love my sourdough starter that I have had for years now, but for one person a lot of bread goes to the cows or chickens!

For days I've been wanting a couple of those fantastic fresh made doughnuts at an area doughnut shop and restaurant. I couldn't go yesterday so I planned on going today. Good thing I checked their hours on the website, cause they've gone back to offseason hours. Closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll have to wait till Thursday. Cookies wouldn't do, a box of drugstore chocolate wouldn't do, I crave the doughnuts, the cream filled ones, the custard filled ones, the honey dipped ones! I didn't know what else to do to help stave off my craving, so I made a dozen pumpkin spice muffins with raisins. They helped.

Krispy Kreme opened a shop about 30 minutes away a few weeks ago, it's the first one in Maine. My son said he drove by it the other week and there was a line of people out the door and into the street, all waiting to get in. I think I'll go check it out in a few weeks once the crowd thins out.