What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Problem is with this hobby I feel I need 10 pairs of hands as there is so much to do, apart from just the house.

Keep in mind Tracy's (Minis on the Edge) motto: It's hard by the yard but a cinch by the inch. :)

As Holly says, there's time to work on details while the glue or paint dries. Keep chipping away at it. A little here, a little there, and before you know it you'll see the results.

Just my luck, a tropical system soon to be a tropical storm is affecting  south Florida. I have to drive to Miami tonight in this mess. Chances are all of the flights will be delayed and I'll be stuck there for hours. 

• Like 1

Ugh, be safe Sable!

So, I am not a big movie watcher, and I don't watch tv really at all. I just don't like to sit still that long, and I can't multi task well, so no working on something while I watch. But every once in a while I'll watch something. 

Stranger Things 2 became available yesterday, and Lawson watched the entire 9 episode season yesterday. It's our turn today. Picked the car up from the shop, stopped by the store for popcorn, chips, and cookies, and Lawson just left, so we're about to start. It's a blah yucky day so good day for that.

It's a pretty good series, not normally one I would have picked to watch though. But, it was filmed here, and we actually know a couple of people in it. (my sister's friend was tickled to see himself in bobble head form!) It's made in my old high school. They relocated the school years ago, but we still use that building, i used to be the technician there for many years too. And now, I use areas of it for my computer storage, always fun to have to arrange your work stuff around filming. I have the contact info for the film guys now though, so they will be able to put me on "the list" to access the area during filming if needed. I go there a few times a week. In fact, the aforementioned car I just picked up from the shop had to be towed from there, from in front of what they use as the front entrance (it's actually the back!) . Funny giving directions to vendors... Just look for Hawkins Middle School... Yes, I know what the map says...

So, it's a lot of fun to watch. Lots to recognize.

That sounds like a good way to spend this gray, drizzly day. I enjoy watching movies made in a setting I'm familiar with -- NCIS New Orleans comes to mind. 

I opened the last moving box. Can I get  big HOORAY?? :cheer: I've been carefully flattening packing boxes and saving the sturdy ones.  They're taking up a bit of room in the garage. I need to check out the attic to see if that would be suitable for storage, although I'm not excited by the thought of hauling them up the folding stairs. There are a LOT of them! Those that suffered in the move or were old to begin with, and other corrugated cardboard pieces are loaded in the back of the car for a trip to the recycling center on Monday. Need to get some shelves for the garage to organize garage stuff.

In the course of unpacking, I found a lot of artwork that I'd forgotten we had, stuff that Lloyd had squirreled away and hadn't unpacked for the past move or two. Some were old friends that I was really glad to see. A few pieces will go into storage in an old steamer trunk. The rest will find a place in the house. Hanging pictures and finding places for ceramics and sculptures is nearly the last of the inside tasks. I expect I'll be working on that for the next week or so. 

Two you-put-'em-together bookshelves for the office arrived last Wednesday. I'm perfectly capable of assembling them, but I don't want to. A neighbor told me her husband does handyman work and would be glad to do it for me but I haven't heard from him. If I don't hear by tomorrow I'll either do it myself or call another handyman I became acquainted with when he fixed a sagging section of my wooden fence. When the shelves are in place I'll have more places for 3-D items and can unpack the last couple boxes of books. 

THEN I can turn my attention to the craft room/studio. Need to do a little organizing in there. The Beacon Hill is sitting on a table looking forlorn. I brought the box with her furnitures and accessories in from the garage today. I have an urge to stage the unfinished rooms. Am suffering from mini withdrawal!.

• Like 1

I have family coming from California for a visit today.  My DH's sister and her two grown sons.  So glad to see them but am having mini withdrawals.  I had to pack up my studio/crafting area so we could put blow up mattresses down for the boys.  It feels strange to watch TV without working on my houses, like something is missing.  It has only been a few days but I am ready to get back to playing.  

I've been attempting to organize and clean up a good bit of my crafting area indoors as well as out in the shop. This has been good in that it's getting me more focused on several dollhouses I've been bouncing back and forth between. Other major bright side is that I've been taking a lot of what I've collected thinking I would repurpose it into mini usage, and as it's been sitting and not getting used have been taking pictures and putting it up for sale. Example is a whole lot of costume jewelry, and I cannot begin to say how very good it feels to be getting pieces bagged up and shipped out with every cent going into my roofing fund for my folks!  :)

Another big change for my family, that given was scary when it happened... but in a weird way I'm so glad it did is that my mom had a gallbladder attack a few weeks back. I've been the one voted to go with her next Monday for pre-surgery consultation with the doctors. Two big big pluses for my family though from that -- a) my mother has lost almost 20lbs in 3 weeks by changing her diet to exclude all fats per doctors orders b) between me losing it and yelling at my father to wake up and take his head out of the bottle and my mom's attack a couple days later my father has not had a drink of alcohol in over two weeks, both my mom and I have been counting the days!

My mom wasn't and is not "obese", but she was definitely carrying extra weight that wasn't healthy. She has been so amazed with her weight loss, and has started exercising more with me, even if just walking a bit further with our pups each day. All I know is I can honestly say I don't think she has weighed so little since I was a kid, and she seems genuinely happy though she does miss certain foods like cheese and milk. However, for me the happiness comes from the fact that she's happy and neither of my parents has been drinking alcohol! They are both admitted alcoholics, and I am beyond amazed they've both cut it out cold turkey and are doing so well! Proof my friends whether you believe in a higher being or not that prayers truly are answered. Sometimes in incredibly unexpected ways... but answered none the less!  <3

• Like 3

Our electical power has been out all week. Here in Maine the power goes out fairly often, never had anything like it in PA. Here the power goes out and can stay out for days. Fortunately, about 17 years ago we'd had enough with the power outages and bought a generator and had a setup made so we could have heat, hot water and electricity in 3 rooms. After 2 days food in the basement freezer started to thaw so we snaked a cord from the kitchen down the stairs to the freezer. 30 minutes ago I heard the sick sound our doorbell makes when the power switches on! I went and woke DH who'd been snoozing in his favorite chair - "The doorbell rang! The doorbell rang!" Ah - the blessed quiet - no more generator roaring outside the window. 

4 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Our electical power has been out all week. Here in Maine the power goes out fairly often, never had anything like it in PA. Here the power goes out and can stay out for days. Fortunately, about 17 years ago we'd had enough with the power outages and bought a generator and had a setup made so we could have heat, hot water and electricity in 3 rooms. After 2 days food in the basement freezer started to thaw so we snaked a cord from the kitchen down the stairs to the freezer. 30 minutes ago I heard the sick sound our doorbell makes when the power switches on! I went and woke DH who'd been snoozing in his favorite chair - "The doorbell rang! The doorbell rang!" Ah - the blessed quiet - no more generator roaring outside the window. 

We lucked out on this storm, the power didn’t even blink, but for many years while EMEC was in bankruptcy our power was out all the time.  I have a generator but it runs the barn lol.  Now that I don’t milk cows I should consider hooking it to the house.

14 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

We lucked out on this storm, the power didn’t even blink, but for many years while EMEC was in bankruptcy our power was out all the time.  I have a generator but it runs the barn lol.  Now that I don’t milk cows I should consider hooking it to the house.

YES! The cowless barn won't mind the cold and dark. What drives us crazy is that we live in a housing development in a town. Kennebunk Light and Power has never had a power outage, unfortunately, we're in a strip of Kennebunk that's hooked up to CMP, which has had many outages. There was a petition to switch us to Kennebunk Light & Power, but CMP has to ok it and they said NO, we won't let you go. 

I can't imagine power outages of days. It must be very difficult to cope with that especially if folks have freezers etc.I get them but usually just a few hours.

Kelli ,may the blessings continue for your parents and good wishes for your Mum.

Well  I am planning to get in the tub, now don't laugh. I do shower of course on a seat but I just have a yearning to  soak,sometimes I can do it and sometimes not. I can't get from stood up to sat down on the tub bottom a lot of times and I have to give up but I have the tub  full and am ready to have a go.

I hate this getting old thing!!

When we replaced the master bathroom bathtub last year (to repair a leak the plumber couldn't fix without going through the wall, as well as to replace the tub the former residents of our house had damaged worse than we at first thought) I discovered that the stopper is really difficult to get to work; but I can still take soaking bath in the guest bathroom; only I also have real issues getting back up!

Holly, I can get up better than going down but today I made it. I shouldn't really it is not safe. I keep planning on having someone come in and pull it out and put a walk in shower in it's place so I don't have to step over the tub. I could of course walk 50 feet to the main house and go in my walk in there .

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Invest in grab bars.

The master bath tub in my house is a huge soaking tub set at an angle in a corner with a wide ledge, taps in the front. I've studied it 70 ways to a dozen yet can't figure out where grab bars might be installed effectively. The idea of trying to stand up and grab onto something while slippery wet is scary. Thank goodness there is also a walk-in shower.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a hot tub on the patio. I do love me a nice soak with massaging jets. Maybe come spring. :D 

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

...I'm toying with the idea of putting a hot tub on the patio. I do love me a nice soak with massaging jets. Maybe come spring. :D 

I do miss me our Jacuzzi bathtub we finally got in our Havana house!