What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

4 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

I love to soak too, but it's gotten too hard for me to bend down. I really wish I had one of those walk in tubs that you can sit down on a bench. That would be great when my back acts up!

My husband's aunt has one of these because she is 76, pretty disabled and lives alone. She says by the time the thing fills up, the water gets cold. Maybe a having better water pressure or higher setting on the water heater may help mitigate.

We have a corner tub, faucets in the front, and it is really tricky to get out. Russ recently installed a handle and it does make me feel more secure getting in and out, but I think it's only a matter of time before I hurt myself. And I love me a good long bubble bath!

1 hour ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

We have a corner tub, faucets in the front, and it is really tricky to get out. Russ recently installed a handle and it does make me feel more secure getting in and out, but I think it's only a matter of time before I hurt myself. And I love me a good long bubble bath!

This is what I have, Jodi. Do you have a photo of the handle placement? I'd love a nice soak, too, but am leery of getting out unaided. I climbed in to hang a picture above it and even with it dry, getting out was .... ummm ... interesting. And since I live alone ... 

What am I doing up before 2 am? Of course I got hit with the tired stick and went to bed early on the night the clocks roll back an hour, so here I am. pretty much wide awake. Actually, woke up stressed from planning and supervising a funeral. No idea who the guest of honor was, but ran in to all sorts of problems with details, and when the programs turned out to be badly printed, I nearly lost it. I woke up just before the service was to begin. "Don't worry," the funeral director told me, "It's all about containment, and we have everyone inside." And they were contained in a theater-like setting. Don't really want to go back to sleep for fear I'll have to go through the service. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

This is what I have, Jodi. Do you have a photo of the handle placement? I'd love a nice soak, too, but am leery of getting out unaided. I climbed in to hang a picture above it and even with it dry, getting out was .... ummm ... interesting. And since I live alone ... 

What am I doing up before 2 am? Of course I got hit with the tired stick and went to bed early on the night the clocks roll back an hour, so here I am. pretty much wide awake. Actually, woke up stressed from planning and supervising a funeral. No idea who the guest of honor was, but ran in to all sorts of problems with details, and when the programs turned out to be badly printed, I nearly lost it. I woke up just before the service was to begin. "Don't worry," the funeral director told me, "It's all about containment, and we have everyone inside." And they were contained in a theater-like setting. Don't really want to go back to sleep for fear I'll have to go through the service. 

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ugh, I hate dreams like that!  Jodi, the tub we had in our Havana house had a built-in heater to keep the water warm.

I am sorry about your bad dream! Mine always seem to haunt me the whole day after. And you can never explain them to someone so that they get the full impact of the emotions they leave with you.

Here is a photo from 2013 when we finally painted the bathroom. We had the builder's dull vanilla in there for 5-1/2 yrs! It doesn't show the bar, but I have circled where Russ installed it - into the stud of the closet doorway. I hope you have something like this you can attach it to!

Holly - the heater is a great feature! I wonder if there is a way to have one installed into Russ' aunts at this point or if she will need a brand new one. She has a gal that comes to help her bathe twice a week, but she is so independent in spirit that she often gets grumpy at her helpers.

Bathroom.png

44 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Here is a photo from 2013 when we finally painted the bathroom. We had the builder's dull vanilla in there for 5-1/2 yrs! It doesn't show the bar, but I have circled where Russ installed it - into the stud of the closet doorway. I hope you have something like this you can attach it to!

My tub butts against the sink cabinet as your does, but my toilet is where your closet is, so no nice stud to access. Darn. 

4 minutes ago, KathieB said:

My tub butts against the sink cabinet as your does, but my toilet is where your closet is, so no nice stud to access. Darn. 

That is a challenge! I wonder if you could attach the bar horizontally on the tub deck itself? Something like this:

grabbar-bathtub.jpg?zoom=2

41 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Do some research, I'm pretty sure there are bars that use a suction mechanism to attach to the porcelain or fiberglass. https://avacaremedical.com/sure-safe-bathtub-safety-rail?fee=14&fep=10285&gclid=CjwKCAjw7frPBRBVEiwAuDf_LRur3gCGdi-95RoGXgtAaSG9cYIIkntCRAryvFCN8eaA8CsVFSA6zhoCA5YQAvD_BwE

When I was having my knees replaced I had my plumber help me with adding grab bars. We looked @ many options like ones on a pole that attach to the floor + ceiling and are adjustable, also ones that need a stud to atach to and then the suction kind.

I was very leary of the suction kind but that is what I ended up with and have been very pleased with them. Granted the plumber got them thru his supply house and did the set up so it was not me going to the dollar store or Walmart and doing it myself. I'm sure the quality was much higher. They have never come loose and that's with many kiddos playing around with them as well as me using them.

On 10/19/2017, 10:45:23, KathieB said:

I am still up to my armpits in moving in. It's taking as long or longer than the packing up phase. Maybe because I'm not working on a deadline. Have set a self imposed deadline of Thanksgiving to have all boxes emptied and everything in order. Yesterday I put together a little drop-leaf table that I'm using for my computer.  Now the desk that held the computer needs to move into the craft room to be used as a work table/storage. Too heavy for me to move myself, so must wait for helping hands. Also need help in hanging heavy pictures and pictures too high for me to reach comfortably. I find I'm a bit leery of getting more than two rungs up on the ladder. Balance isn't what it used to be. Am hoping to corral a couple of nephews into doing the heavy lifting this weekend. Meanwhile, the rest of the boxes await.

Update: Only a few boxes still taped, such as Christmas decorations & other stuff not needed immediately. The nephews came by and moved the desk and hung pictures. A scattering of pictures leaning against walls and furniture as I wait for them to tell me where they want to hang. Every day a few more find a home. There is one section of wall in the living room that is completely blank. Am surprised none of the artwork has gravitated in that direction.

2 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That is a challenge! I wonder if you could attach the bar horizontally on the tub deck itself? Something like this:

grabbar-bathtub.jpg?zoom=2

That could be a possibility. The deck is at least that wide.

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

Do some research, I'm pretty sure there are bars that use a suction mechanism to attach to the porcelain or fiberglass. https://avacaremedical.com/sure-safe-bathtub-safety-rail?fee=14&fep=10285&gclid=CjwKCAjw7frPBRBVEiwAuDf_LRur3gCGdi-95RoGXgtAaSG9cYIIkntCRAryvFCN8eaA8CsVFSA6zhoCA5YQAvD_BwE

Unfortunately, the tub is enclosed in a surround. This item would not fit over the wide deck.

54 minutes ago, Selkie said:

When I was having my knees replaced I had my plumber help me with adding grab bars. We looked @ many options like ones on a pole that attach to the floor + ceiling and are adjustable, also ones that need a stud to atach to and then the suction kind.

I was very leary of the suction kind but that is what I ended up with and have been very pleased with them. Granted the plumber got them thru his supply house and did the set up so it was not me going to the dollar store or Walmart and doing it myself. I'm sure the quality was much higher. They have never come loose and that's with many kiddos playing around with them as well as me using them.

I had a bad experience with one of those "as seen on TV" suction grab bars, so I haven't considered them. Your experience is heartening. There's still the question of where to put it. :hmm: 

• Like 1

I have had top of the line suction bars and can state without hesitation they are not safe, they will come off. I have had them in two bathrooms and in both cases they did. They grab and hold very well but in order to keep them tight you have to take them off and reattach frequently. I think if anyone disabled or perhaps a  bit overweight is using them it is a risk. If you are only steadying yourself  they will do but if you truly try to pull hard on them to raise yourself up from the tub floor please don't rely on them. My husband went down twice  in his bathroom and I once in mine before  we scrapped them.

I have thought of one of those walk in things but I don't bend in the middle very well, even chairs are a problem for me as I am fused in places so I think they may not suit. I am going to have the tub/shower converted to a walk in shower. I am only hesitating because the bathroom is new and it seems just a shame to pull the existing set up out but I do have to do it

I like my suction things, but I have never had to use them in a soaking tub.  I use them to steady myself as i put my weight on the curtain rod  ( which is totally secure, if it goes the whole surround goes).  I tried a soaking tub in rented condo before my son's wedding.  NEVER, NEVER, again.  No rails, stuck there, spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how I was going to get out.  My knees just don't lift me anymore.  Felt like a beached whale.

• Like 2

Made a quick trip to Warrensburg. Got the new front door installed.   Next is new garage doors.   Driving back through St Louis was stroke material.   Severe thunderstorm, traffic, hail, and tornado threat.  Sure glad I could just close my eyes and not watch.  He is a good driver (most of the time).  Lol

Sold my son’s condo in one day. Easy peasy right? Wrong! There has been a lawsuit against the condo association for Four years. Two drunk men got in a fight and one of them fell off the balcony and died. So of course the family filed a suit against the condo. Mortgage companies won’t write new loans when a lawsuit is pending. That’s why everyone there is a cash buyer. Our buyers don’t have that kind of cash so I guess we will have to rent it to them until the case is finalized, which should be shortly, we hope. It’s always something!

21 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I like my suction things, but I have never had to use them in a soaking tub.  I use them to steady myself as i put my weight on the curtain rod  ( which is totally secure, if it goes the whole surround goes).  I tried a soaking tub in rented condo before my son's wedding.  NEVER, NEVER, again.  No rails, stuck there, spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how I was going to get out.  My knees just don't lift me anymore.  Felt like a beached whale.

Just have to add a story from my SIL. A few years ago she moved into a new apartment (alone) and it had a nice big bathtub. She thought, "I haven't had a nice tub bath for years! I'm going to indulge!"  
So she did. Had a nice soaking bath, then it was time to get out - but she couldn't!  No matter how hard she tried she just could not get up and out of that tub! She had her cellphone in the bathroom with her, but it was out of reach of the tub, over on the rug by the sink. So for about 20 minutes or longer, she flipped - and flipped - her bath towel, trying to hook the phone. She finally got it to budge a little closer and could reach it. Then she called 911. 

She was so embarrassed, especially when two young hunks came to lift her out!   She's never had a tub bath since! :sofa:

9 minutes ago, CheckMouse said:

Just have to add a story from my SIL. A few years ago she moved into a new apartment (alone) and it had a nice big bathtub. She thought, "I haven't had a nice tub bath for years! I'm going to indulge!"  
So she did. Had a nice soaking bath, then it was time to get out - but she couldn't!  No matter how hard she tried she just could not get up and out of that tub! She had her cellphone in the bathroom with her, but it was out of reach of the tub, over on the rug by the sink. So for about 20 minutes or longer, she flipped - and flipped - her bath towel, trying to hook the phone. She finally got it to budge a little closer and could reach it. Then she called 911. 

She was so embarrassed, especially when two young hunks came to lift her out!   She's never had a tub bath since! :sofa:

Our soaking tub in Vero has arm rests in it. You still have to have the upper arm strength to raise your torso up high enough to get the legs under to be able to stand. I don’t use it much either.

• Like 1

We had some excitement this afternoon - our own Reality TV Show!  :drive:   :busted:

There was a fender-bender accident right in front of our house! The school bus stopped - a large truck stopped - an SUV did not stop; he hit the back of the truck. No one hurt, no serious damage to either vehicle, but it took almost two hours to clear it all away. A County Police car, the Sheriff's car, the Fire Department's ambulance, and a State Patrol car all showed up and parked in or near our driveway. We NEVER see a State Patrol car on our little road, but he was in the area and heard the call, so he came.  And, being the big STATE PATROL, he took the opportunity to do a DOT inspection on the truck and be sure all was in order there. DH went out to see what was going on (and gave the cops permission to use our huge driveway) and I stayed inside and took pictures!  

Turns out the SUV driver didn't have a valid license, nor insurance, and was distracted so he didn't notice the truck had stopped. Oops! He called his wife and she showed up, grandson in tow, and had the papers for the car which were all in her name. By the time the truck and the officials left, the couple was stranded at our place with two cars and one driver. DH drove the SUV and the man home, followed by the wife and grandson in her car, followed by me in my car to bring DH home again!  Quite the caravan - but only 2 miles down the road. 

Along the way the man explained a few things. He almost never drove, but they had arranged for Grandma to take the boy one direction, while Grandpa took the aging family dog to the animal hospital, to be put to his final sleep. They didn't want the boy to know what was going on. Which is why Grandpa was distracted. I don't know what their bill would amount to from the cops, but they had a pretty rough day. Glad DH and I could help a little bit. 

All the elements of a good Reality Show!  Who needs cable??

• Like 1

That IS a lot of authority out there by your house, CJ. I don't know what the situation is now, but when I was living in Mason county, I understand they had only two sheriffs to patrol the entire area there at any given time.

And yes, who needs cable? You were in the same position those people are in when it snows in Seattle and they just sit by the window and watch the cars slide into one another. As they said once, "Who needs Netflix when you have this to watch?"

We actually did have a reality show in this area for a little while, though. They did a Washington version of Cops across the state and one episode focused on a guy here in Kitsap county. They showed him driving down Hwy 3 right before he got to Gorst, and then they showed the guys that work the Sound over in Seattle. I think it only went one season and then was cancelled, though.

• Like 1

Sold my Bungalow on Ebay. The buyer was willing to pay to have UPS pack and ship the house and the furniture I was selling with it and made all the arrangements, so I dropped it off at the local shipping store today. The store owner estimated it was going to cost the buyer around $550 for packing and shipping.

• Like 4

Oh, that is so gorgeous!

We attended the early show for the Blue Angels Homecoming at NAS Pensacola today.  They don't always have it on Veterans' Day weekend, so that made it special.  To all our Marine members/ families, Happy Birthday!

• Like 1