What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Had to take a break from the classical style rug. Getting too frustrated. I've had to restart it a few times, and I'm looking at another one in the future as the counting is off....again. :cry:  So, decided to start one I've been looking forward to, as the design is printed on the canvas and is easier to follow. Cabbage roses here I come!

Quick trip to OK, picked up a real life stove.  Spouse's aunt and uncle have passed and his cousins wanted nothing to do with it.  It's an old looking cast iron cook stove, but was made to be an electric stove.  Not antique by any means, but I fell in love with it years ago.  They said come get it.  So this weekend we did.  Took 2 young healthy bucks and the spouse to get in the pickup.  Getting it out will be a different issue.    I'll put a picture on pinterest tomorrow. (Still in the truck)

I got my latest delivery from Mini.com so have kits to build now, I also got LED hanging lights from them , one didn't work and the second  hardly  glowed, so I am a bit disappointed as they were for Joes house I got a trundle bed from e bay. also for Joes house and  it is too small ,so I am a bit frustrated. I am having a heck of a job trying to get furniture to fit in the lower part of the Sugarplum so I think making the kits will be a change of pace. I have the kitchen stove, the dry sink,the ice box and the organ to do plus a couple of smaller things, also a rocker to build and a table and 2 benches and in between and  I am knitting the bedspread seen in the Granny Square topic. so lots to do on my recliner right now, which is good as  I am too sore to sit at my workbench,my  pain level somewhere about an 8 gggrhh that is because I did  Costco shop yesterday, So working on a lap tray for a few days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

I got my latest delivery from Mini.com so have kits to build now, I also got LED hanging lights from them , one didn't work and the second  hardly  glowed, so I am a bit disappointed as they were for Joes house I got a trundle bed from e bay. also for Joes house and  it is too small ,so I am a bit frustrated. I am having a heck of a job trying to get furniture to fit in the lower part of the Sugarplum so I think making the kits will be a change of pace. I have the kitchen stove, the dry sink,the ice box and the organ to do plus a couple of smaller things, also a rocker to build and a table and 2 benches and in between and  I am knitting the bedspread seen in the Granny Square topic. so lots to do on my recliner right now, which is good as  I am too sore to sit at my workbench,my  pain level somewhere about an 8 gggrhh that is because I did  Costco shop yesterday, So working on a lap tray for a few days.

That's a re bummer, but make sure the bulbs are in tight and the batteries are in correctly. I have had a light stop working only to find the bulb was loose.

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

That's a re bummer, but make sure the bulbs are in tight and the batteries are in correctly. I have had a light stop working only to find the bulb was loose.

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...a trundle bed from e bay. also for Joes house and  it is too small ,so I am a bit frustrated. I am having a heck of a job trying to get furniture to fit...

This is how I got started down the primrose path of building my own furniture.

Thank you, I tried fiddling with the lights but no good.

Holly I think you are right. Among the kits I bought were 2 from Houseworks, one for a rocker which turned out perfect last night and a three piece also from Housewoks of a table and two benches. It was a bit fiddly but I managed to shorten the length of all 3 pieces so they fit in there well now.

Tonight I start on the plastic kits, one  may or not be for Joes depending on the finished size but I have the stove, organ, dry sink and the fridge to do and I will build them for   him or  the other house that is on the go..

Also working on my knitted bedspead. I have done the 4 petals for the centre.

I had my soon to be grand son in law come and check my kiln breaker yesterday as it was newly installed and the man didn't mark it, All is well, new doll molds are on the way and the ones I have are on my kitchen counter so I may be very busy soon

• Like 1

Holly, I was on my way to a memorial ride in south Jacksonville the weekend before last and saw the Blue Angels flying in their perfect delta formation over I-95.  Always looks amazing when they fly.

The ride to Panama City Beach last month was nearly perfect.  The coastal views, the many houses (most of them on stilts) and other sights were well worth the trip.  We didn't do much riding once we got there (only on Saturday between rain showers), but we were constantly cracking each other up in the condo.  We had several great cooks in our group and plenty of booze for our down time.  Aside from accidentally inhaling a shot of fireball whiskey (never throw back a shot in a room full of somewhat skilled comedians) that left me nearly unable to breath for a while, it was a great trip.

Our newest member, an Army vet, bought his first bike (a Harley Fat Boy) two weeks ago, just got his riding endorsement this past weekend, and rode it for the first time yesterday.  He crashed it this afternoon.  He's a little scratched up, but he and the bike are ok.  I don't see the sense of giving someone an endorsement with only two half-days of riding practice.  I put 10,000 miles on my bike with a learner's permit before taking the riding test.  I guess you can spill at any time, but it still seems backwards to me.  Hopefully he'll get to put many accident-free miles on it from now on.

This morning I woke up with a right middle finger that had turned into dark red and swollen at the tip, just below the Nail bed. Yesterday I had a the tinies scrape there, sort of like a paper cut but without me noticing how I got it.

It is really itchy, red, and almost blue/blackish atwhere the bump indicates the actual cut is and it worried me a Little. So Went to the local Health centre and the nurse there scheduled me in to meet the doctor after lunch as she indicated there was a rd/pink streak running up the funger towards the hand and said it was good I came to see them.

We'll see, it might be a nothing scare, but it is still a bother! Sulking a Little actually... Been batting a fever and a cough along with a sore throat last week so I figured I had allready had my down time so to speak.

Hugs

Anna, that red streak can be blood poisoning from when an infection goes crazy; excellent choice, going to the health center!

Jeremy, from Panama City to Destin state road 30A goes though what is turning into posh coastal residential communities (shades of The Villages) that is home to some rapidly disappearing environmental features unique to the world, coastal fresh-water dune ponds & lakes.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, that red streak can be blood poisoning from when an infection goes crazy; excellent choice, going to the health center!

Jeremy, from Panama City to Destin state road 30A goes though what is turning into posh coastal residential communities (shades of The Villages) that is home to some rapidly disappearing environmental features unique to the world, coastal fresh-water dune ponds & lakes.

Yep, the doc confirmed it as early stage of sepsis, after poking, prodding and stickning me with a darn needle, good thing I am careful of My "good" hand as I am lefthanded and don't want to mess it up smacking him... sheesh, it hur! So got a shot of antibiotics, a tripletts a day dose of antibiotics and a cheery if it goes into a puss filled bubble do come back and I Will cut it open, yuck and doubl eyuck, but he was a good doc anyhow... sort of, as I generally have a heard time going to docs. 

So am going to take a break for a little while Now with a hear of piloows and a blanket  totally worn out

Sepsis is one of those things you don't want to ignore in hopes it will go away; it won't go away on its own and, left untreated, will kill you.

I just finished reading David Lagercrantz's The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye; he takes Lisbeth and all the folks who care about her down some dark and twisted places!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Sepsis is one of those things you don't want to ignore in hopes it will go away; it won't go away on its own and, left untreated, will kill you.

I just finished reading David Lagercrantz's The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye; he takes Lisbeth and all the folks who care about her down some dark and twisted places!

So true according to the doc as he was very pleased with me coming in when I did so that a shot of antibiotics along with a follow up with tablets too will most prorbably deal with it. Right now I am Sporting a feber though, also something I could be expecting according to the doc. Am I predictable or what huh?!?

Was the book any good? I have been thinking of Reading it but haven't yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Is this a sequel to  Stieg Larsson's series The Girl Who ...?

Yes, Lagercrantz's first was The Girl in the Spider's Web.  Supposedly there's also a movie in the works, although the actor who played Mikael Blomquist in the first three has passed away.

4 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Listen to Holly Miss Anna...Did he recommend soaking your finger in Saline water at all? And take you meds, all of them.

I didn't realize someone was writing follow up stories for the Larson series. I'm off to Amazon.....

Anna, glad you went to the doc in time to get that treated early. 

Holly, we rode up 98 from Panacea all the way to Panama City.  We were hoping to spot a few F-22 Raptors at the AFB, but they were parked on the other side of the hangars. 

Kathie,  my DW wants to take the kids to an old gold mine north of Atlanta in a few months.  Would you be up for a visit from herd of kids? :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pdlnpeabody said:

Kathie,  my DW wants to take the kids to an old gold mine north of Atlanta in a few months.  Would you be up for a visit from herd of kids? :D

Certainly! Would love to see all of you! I'm in Hiram, NW of Atlanta. about 90-100 miles from the gold mine area.

• Like 1

Anna, I'm glad you went in, too. Infection like that is absolutely nothing to mess with. You might want to try what Carrie said. Get some water in a cup as hot as you can physically stand it, throw some soap in it, and soak your finger for about 20 minutes twice a day. I know, it will feel like you're burning your finger up and then it feels like you have a piece of twine tied around the finger when you're finally able to get it into the hot water, but that will make your finger feel much better and really help with the infection. It's close to what a hot poultice is and the heat can also help kill some of the bacteria infecting your finger. I do this all the time when I get a hangnail infected. Just make sure you don't burn your finger.

And speaking of burns, I didn't see a doctor and I'm wondering if I should. I sloshed some simmering sauce on my arm last night and it left a burn that looks like an elongated teardrop about 1" x 1/2" with a 2" comet tail. After I brushed the sauce off, I thought I hadn't gotten it all off and used my thumb to wipe the last of it away. And took off a big piece of skin. So I guess I've got a good first degree burn, but I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about it. I iced it for about 45 minutes and it doesn't hurt at all, but I suppose it's going to leave a big old scar, as if I don't have enough of those from years of trying to tame feral cats and inquisitive raccoons.

Always something.

• Like 1

I'm on the verge of panic.  I made the mistake of going against my better judgement and went to an appointment with a neurologist that I should have cancelled.  Although I'm a safe driver and don't have any impairments, the doc is going to contact the DMV and have my driver's license revoked due to a hunch (yes, they can do that here in Florida and most if not all states).  Although they're too incompetent to even diagnose any condition, they think I might, someday, be at risk of having a seizure, even though I have never had one before.  This is why I stopped seeing neurologists 20 years ago.  He said he "wasn't comfortable" with the idea of me driving.  I told him I wasn't comfortable being unemployed, homeless and pedaling my @%$! off in the pouring rain every day, so I fired him.  Once I got my license, I was able to get a job, get off the streets and eventually earn a living.  Now not only will I end up homeless, but my wife will too.  The state will steal our kids and we may never see them again.  The attorney I work for is going to help troubleshoot the situation and we're going to look for a firm that handles driver's license issues, but it won't fix the problem soon enough. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Oh my goodness, that is dreadful surely the fact that you have never had a seizure must hold some weight I hope that attorney is good and he can get this stopped. Good Luck I will be thinking of you and your family. It seems incredulous to me that that could happen to you of you lose your license, you live in a great country it is beyond my understanding

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

It seems incredulous to me that that could happen to you of you lose your license, you live in a great country it is beyond my understanding

The country is great but some of the inhabitants are not so great, leading to situations of all kinds, alas.

6 hours ago, pdlnpeabody said:

the doc is going to contact the DMV and have my driver's license revoked due to a hunch (yes, they can do that here in Florida and most if not all states). 

Can you get a second opinion? 

We (his family and friends) battled with the Missouri DMV to revoke the license of a diabetic who was unaware when his blood sugar dipped radically and was known to slip into a coma while driving. His attorney finally convinced him to turn it in voluntarily after he crashed his truck into a house. He was lucky he wasn't killed or didn't kill somebody else. None of his doctors, including his diabetes team, who knew full well he was a danger on the road, would take the responsibility of recommending revocation of his license. His wife now does all the driving.