What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I had to share a bit more of my door saga. DH reminded me of something I had forgotten. The last time we needed to replace the front door he ordered a fiberglass door. When they delivered it, it was a steel door. He called them up, they said they'd get him the correct door. When it came, it was another steel door and a different style than the one he'd ordered, so that had to go back too. This whole process took weeks and by the time the right door arrived it was November. We did get free installation, at least. The door we're waiting for now will be our 3rd front door in 20 years in this house.

Fortunately our new secondary front door on the porch has been installed and looks great. The carpenters did some outside prep work around the main front door so they won't have to spend as much time working outside when the correct door arrives. The truck was supposed to come and pick up the wrong door today, but no one showed up so it's sitting in our garage.

My family has had a rough couple of weeks dealing with my mother and some issues surrounding the settling of my dad's estate.  My mother has severe anxiety issues and other possible mental health issues...but anyway, there was a confrontation that resulted in a massive misunderstanding, arguments and hurt feelings to the point the we weren't even going to get together for Thanksgiving.  Well, Monday nite she had a meltdown and my daughters and I went over and chatted with her for about 3 hours.  It went well and I think she may finally understand where we are coming from (well, at least for a few days!)....and the girls have agreed to get together for the holiday with her.  Hubby is still totally hurt and angry and refuses to go unless she apologizes.  *sigh*  Sure hate this.  Hoping we can get these two to bury the hatchet...especially since we are coming up on the first holidays without dad (and the anniversary of his death last New Year's Eve).

So to cheer me up I have been working a lot on my mini projects.  And, of course, there is babysitting time with this little cutie tonite!  :D 

5 mo cutie pie.jpg

• Like 1

OH she is adorable.  I just got back from seeing my dad. (he is 93 and has dementia and lives in Canada.  It is just him and I left so it is very difficult to leave him in the veterans hospital alone).  Last week was rough.  Now I am home and have 3 grandsons tonight lol.  I just got a new larger table in my craft room, well its not new, but new to the room.  I was running out of room with the other little table.  So I hope to get back to my mini this weekend.  

Ugh... Family drama. It is almost impossible to make peace when even one is unwilling. I hope the holiday season and it's nostalgia brings all of you back together. The healing after a loved one passes away is a tricky business, isn't it.

That precious little one deserves to have all of you showing her the best family version you can be. I'd set the minis aside too for that melt-your-heart smile! She's truly beautiful!

Hugs Jackie!

• Like 1

@jbnmini      By forgiving someone who has hurt you, you are releasing the burden of carrying the weight of anger and bitterness. We aren't meant to carry that with us.

When you forgive someone, YOU actually are receiving more benefit from it than person who has done the damage. All you can do is apologize for your part in the misunderstanding and forgive. Now, the burden is on the other person to do the same.

Even if you weren't wrong in the first place....you now have a clean conscience and can spend your emotional energy on something better!

I absolutely agree with what Carrie says, forgiveness is the most healing thing I know, sadly many folks hold a grudge. I don't and I forgive readily, I will add that forgiveness does not mean you have to put yourself in harms way though .  but it does allow you to get on with your life without dragging unnecessary garbage with you

• Like 1

Im sorry to hear about the family drama especially so close to the holidays. Deaths are so difficult to deal with in so many ways. In this case I think maybe your husband should try to give her a pass if this is out of the ordinary for her

Jackie, I feel for you. My DH and mother don't get along either. To the point where my mother has disinherited me because she doesn't want my husband or any of his family to ever have access to her money. We don't really care about that but its just an indication of the Dysfunction. She has said some incredibly hurtful & nasty things over the years and to be honest, I think it's hardest for the person stuck in the middle. Each arguing person wants you to take sides. Feelings get hurt when you won't. You want to defend your husband but your mother thinks your loyalty should lay with her. Husbands won't allow mothers into your home, refuse to talk to them. You are expected to divide your time between the two parties when it would be so much easier to just all do something together.... I'm sure sometimes you just feel like running away and letting them battle it out amongst themselves. I know I do! ((Hugs))

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!  I really appreciate it.  Samantha- you pretty much summed up our situation!  Nothing new under the sun, eh?

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving! :wave:   {{HUGS}} all around!! :group:

LOL I just realized Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I thought it was next week.

Anyway, I guess what I'm doing is better than dealing with relatives (I'm 2000 miles away from my mother, thank God!), but only just. I'm setting up the new computer and it's all I can do to keep from throwing it out the window. As my techie friend told me, I went from vinyl record albums to Blu-Ray in one jump, but still, does it have to be this difficult? :crash:

Today's task: disconnect new computer, reattach old computer, save all bookmarks to a thumb and write down all passwords, reconnect new computer, upload everything and log on to old sites so I can save my passwords again.:wacko:

Then somewhere I remember that I (stupidly) checked something that said to notify me of new notifications and that s*** is going to stop as soon as I find out where I did that. Asking if I want a notification every time I click on a page is a bit much. After that, I have to go to Icefilms and download all the junk I need to download movies with and that is going to be a ball of fun (NOT!). And finally, I'm going to look for a theme so the top of my screen isn't glaring white at me.

I did manage to redo my toolbar last night so at least I have (most of) my icons back (when I went to the new computer, the browser updated about a million versions ahead), but the "large icon" app that I used isn't available for this version of my browser, so now I'm squinting at the screen again. I can't wait until all computer makers are old farts with bad eyesight like me. Boy, will large icons get popular fast!

And I finally got Skype working again last night, although it took an hour and the patience of Job to find and get the microphone working right.

And I'm learning a whole new system, going from XP to Windows 10. Was there really any reason they couldn't just update XP?

And some people get a new computer every year? For me, every two decades would be way too often!

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

And some people get a new computer every year? For me, every two decades would be way too often!

I hear you, I hate it when they upgrade my computer at work, everything goes and I have to start all over.

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

And I'm learning a whole new system, going from XP to Windows 10. Was there really any reason they couldn't just update XP?

I had to ditch XP years ago because of the security issues, it was no longer being updated so was open to a lot of problems to hackers.   I also hate it when I have to update any computer, right now I have two laptops, one with windows 7 and one with 8, so far I declined to update it to 10, (wonder what happened to 9 anyway!).  10 is not liked by very many people, kind of like vista.  I bought a new laptop a few months before 10 came out,  I suspect if you get a new computer every year it is not such a sudden change, going from  XP to 10 was a huge jump!  Good luck with your learning curve!

I bought a new laptop last year and the keys stick so often I have many spelling mistakes, I didn't out the 10 on it. A few weeks ago I bought a new computer not a laptop but when I got it home and set up the screen was so big it was like watching a TV I found myself leaning away to see it properly, then I couldn't reach the keyboard so back it went and here I am typing on  the laptop which misses letters again..

Ours also misses letters.  I hate that it won't play along with the printers. we've tried, and I really miss my printies!  But mostly what we despise most is how one day it works fine nd then Microsoft does an "update" and everything is screwed up again.

I had the devil's own time this week finding mincemeat, but finally  did and this afternoon I baked some cornbread for dressing and two mince pies.  It just the two of us for Thanksgiving, so tomorrow I only have to cook the sides and the ham.

I’m so excited! For years I’ve been looking for a Thonet Rocking Doll Chair to complete the set my grandmother gave me. I have the table, settee and chair but could never find an affordable rocking chair. I was tempted when I saw one in Amsterdam but it had been recaned, the stain was off and it was too expensive. Just on a whim I looked at Ruby Lane last night and there was a perfect one on sale this morning for 50% off. Three other people had it in their shopping carts so I made sure I was able to hit Purchase Now just as the sale started and I got it! 

https://www.rubylane.com/ni/shop/vermontvintage/ilist?q=Thonet

• Like 2