What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

This year's Poarch Creek powwow had a lot more artisans selling.  Every  year the mix of merchandise is different, so I have learned that if I see something that calls my name, get it now; so far I have never seen anything I've gotten in previous years.

This afternoon I realized that I need to make a brick floor for my latest cottage roombox and I was out of the right sized bass stripwood. A few minutes later I checked my email and saw that Michael's had a coupon for 40% off all regular priced merchandise, today only. What luck! I dashed over there and bought all the 3/8" wide basswood strips they had in stock. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sable said:

a Thonet Rocking Doll Chair to complete the set my grandmother gave me. https://www.rubylane.com/ni/shop/vermontvintage/ilist?q=Thonet

Neat! Do post a picture of the whole set when you get the rocker. The style is precious.

10 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Neat! Do post a picture of the whole set when you get the rocker. The style is precious.

I will Kathie. Now I’m figuring where I can display the set. They’ve been stashed away in my BR closet for years. Maybe I’ll build a shelf and display them on a wall. Hummmm. 

44 minutes ago, Sable said:

I will Kathie. Now I’m figuring where I can display the set. They’ve been stashed away in my BR closet for years. Maybe I’ll build a shelf and display them on a wall. Hummmm. 

What about a roombox?

Haven't had a live Christmas tree in years, but a table-top version followed me home from Lowe's today. Will enjoy the fragrance for the next several weeks. An angel that has my initials and the date 1941 embroidered on her skirt will top it. Mom did the stitching in honor of my first Christmas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Haven't had a live Christmas tree in years, but a table-top version followed me home from Lowe's today. Will enjoy the fragrance for the next several weeks. An angel that has my initials and the date 1941 embroidered on her skirt will top it. Mom did the stitching in honor of my first Christmas.

I love decorations like that.  They are the most beautiful in my opinion.  I have a lightbulb my son made in kindergarten, (he is 30 now) anyways the lightbulb is a Santa face.  It gets hung up every year 

DH's mom gave us a ceramic tree a few years ago, the kind that has a single  l o n g  incandescent lightbulb inside nd lot of little holes to fill with clear colored plastic whatevers (ours are shaped like little lights).  This year I decided to set out the larger crèche  because we've got extra kids showing up this year.  Back when we used to have a regular tree I made all the stuff we put on it, plus what remained of the wooden ornaments my father had made; all that got gone in one of our many moves.

Holly when I had my shop my customers made dozens of ceramic trees all sizes with all shapes of lights.  Last year when I had just moved into the carriage house and didn't have room for a big tree I wondered about a ceramic one. I looked on e bay and was shocked to find they are fetching up to $200 used and called vintage now, so I had a good laugh thinking of all the tress I had fired.

I had never seen one in Value Village, but sure enough sometime in the summer my daughter came in with one, she was lucky it was on a trolley just coming form the back room , it was missing a few lights which I had in my general craft stuff, she paid $9.99 with 30% off, so you hang on to yours it's worth more than you would think

I remember doing one of those trees back in the late 70’s, someone must have dug out an old mold, maybe they can big bucks with new “vintage” trees.  I suspect it is still packed away upstairs somewhere. 

I have been doing a lot of knitting the last week and have the center and sides done on my tiny bedspread.  Right now I am working on the ruffle and it is a little over 2/3rds done.  It is going to be difficult to get the exact size before it is sewn on, so I will knit it to approximately the right size and wait until I sew it on before I cast off the final stitches.  I love the way it is coming out.  I am using the recommended needles, but a slightly smaller thread, the match would be crochet Cotten size 3 and I am using 5, however I think it will be slightly larger which doesn’t make much sense to me since my usual knitting is fairly tight.  Glad I didn’t make the bed yet!

1B0B5C5C-DF57-45E2-A053-9473CE6D2800.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I have been doing a lot of knitting the last week and have the center and sides done on my tiny bedspread.

Barb, that is drop dead gorgeous!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I remember doing one of those trees back in the late 70’s, someone must have dug out an old mold, maybe they can big bucks with new “vintage” trees.  I suspect it is still packed away upstairs somewhere. 

I have been doing a lot of knitting the last week and have the center and sides done on my tiny bedspread.  Right now I am working on the ruffle and it is a little over 2/3rds done.  It is going to be difficult to get the exact size before it is sewn on, so I will knit it to approximately the right size and wait until I sew it on before I cast off the final stitches.  I love the way it is coming out.  I am using the recommended needles, but a slightly smaller thread, the match would be crochet Cotten size 3 and I am using 5, however I think it will be slightly larger which doesn’t make much sense to me since my usual knitting is fairly tight.  Glad I didn’t make the bed yet!

Wow! What a talent!

• Like 1

Barb, I love that leaf motif border around the blocks.  Did you find the pattern online?  I think I would have been tempted to pick up the stitches around the border and knit that ruffle into them, then Id know when I had enough.  My eensy needles came in sets of 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I'd love to learn this - on my list of to do. This is so pretty love the ruffle ,

• Like 2

Jeannine  They say not to press, I think once you sew the ruffle on it will be mostly in shape, I noticed when I sewed the sides on it squared up the block, I will probably steam it a bit if needed. The leaves are so 3 dimensional that pressing would ruin the look, so maybe a wet block like I used to do with doilies.  I like the airy look of the cotton, it was what I was aiming for when I picked the smaller size cotton.  Having said that I rarely made doilies with cotton that big, mostly 10, 20 and 30.

Holly, I got the bedspread pattern on Ravelry. the sides and ruffle are knitted sideways.  The ruffle is just 9 stitches, with a 8 row repeat, the ruffle is made when a couple rows knit or pearl only 5 and turn, that also makes one of the lace holes.  The leaf pattern on the sides was confusing until I had one done so I could see the pattern, then it went quickly, or as quickly as size 0 needles can go lol. I am using part of my set of 5 double pointed needles.   It is called Heirloom Bedspread in the 1:12 knit section, I will look up the link if you want.  

Thank you Nel, Sable and Kathie, I have not knitted in over a year because of my eye problem post cataract surgery, it did require some adjustment since one eye does not see well, but I am glad I tried it finally, and proved to myself I still can regardless!

Next project tiny table cloth!

Wish me luck, please. Surgery #5 on the reconstruction of my nose after removal of skin cancer is tomorrow. Hopefully, this is my last one. I’ve had to wear a bandage to camouflage my graft and incision scars for almost 8 months now. Sick of it!!   

• Like 1

Barb , wet blocking is what I mean, that is what I do with my regular  baby  shawls.

I am going to start mine again it looks to much like a shawl in fine wool so I need to go and buy some crochet cotton.

I would like to make a dollhouse shawl but  most of my patterns are already in very fine wool so bringing them down to size will be difficult . I think they would look chunky, I have made  a few for my 6 inch  baby dolls but I want one much  more lacy.

• Like 1

I am not a knitter, but I saw an artisan at Miniaturia making a VERY fine-gauge sweater with sock needles and embroidery floss. I think you'd need to get out the heavy duty magnifying glasses for it. Tatting needles would probably work well too.

Today starts the transformation of my house into the Christmas house!  I'm siting in my living room which is hip-deep in storage boxes; we will not be discussing the other boxes, the full dining room table, or the stashes in my closet. I think they must multiply during the summer:bounce8: