What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Well, I spent many days last week in hospitals waiting rooms and rooms. My step dad went to the emergency room the Friday before last with stupid high BP, and Thursday he had triple bypass surgery. Except the surgeon ended up having to do 7 bypasses. Today is day 5 after the surgery,and he finally got moved out of ICU today, hooray. Hopefully he can come home in a couple more days.

The month of November is always filled with planning, planning, shopping, and more planning for Christmas. And I normally shop until I'm out of time, I love buying things for my family. Well mid October my MIL made us reservations in Florida for a week, so we are going on a trip for Christmas! I am so excited, it's been over 3 years since our last vacation. But at the time that was made, we had only one paycheck coming that would have to pay for both Christmas and vacation. Yikes. So I started shopping then. And I am happy to report that as of last night, I am DONE with my shopping, and most of the wrapping!! That never happens.

We are leaving Sunday, and returning Christmas Eve. I'm a little nervous about taking a week off work though. And I'll have to bake cookies while I'm there, because there will be no time once we return. But it will be great. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

They little "hole in the wall " Greek restaurant in Biloxi is super.  First time we went there, my spouse almost didn't park and started to drive off.   Oh NO, that wasn't gonna happen.  Well worth the stop.  

Lawanda, sweetness, PLEASE tell me where this little jewel is in Biloxi!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparklepuppies said:

we are going on a trip for Christmas!

That's great! You can relax and enjoy, especially since your shopping is done. And dial back on the cookies --- bakery cookies are good, too. :) 

I am up to being sick, first time in a while. I'm not too bad in the mornings, but come the afternoons and evenings, I'm ready to be buried and make my casket a nice one please. The only good thing about being sick is I can drink wine coolers without getting drunk (yes, I can get drunk on a 5% by volume wine cooler). For some reason, when I'm sick, alcohol doesn't affect me. Or maybe it just seems that way.

Anyhoo, I ordered some small things for Lisa and one item was shipped from the UK on the 9th, another from Spain yesterday, and the last item shipped from Italy today. Does anyone think anything will be here for Christmas?

But then I ordered something almost a week ago off eBay from someone in the US and it says shipped and to be delivered today. Problem is, the package hasn't reached the shipper yet.

This is going to be one interesting season. I have no doubt everything will get here on the 24th and I'll be wrapping presents a half hour before I'm due at the party.

3 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Anyhoo, I ordered some small things for Lisa and one item was shipped from the UK on the 9th, another from Spain yesterday, and the last item shipped from Italy today. Does anyone think anything will be here for Christmas?

But then I ordered something almost a week ago off eBay from someone in the US and it says shipped and to be delivered today. Problem is, the package hasn't reached the shipper yet.

This is going to be one interesting season.

You can only hope.

I have had that happen with eBay before. I think it may be some sort of automated guessing game. If the person ships it by the 3 day shipping and handling blurb eBay has, it should arrive by that date.

I Hope you feel better soon.

I hope you feel better Kelly!

Thanks Kathie :) I'm.in charge of desserts for Christmas, and mama cooks. But I'm not opposed to stopping by the store on the way home to grab some cookies if needed! I've already made a batch of buckeyes that was supposed to be for a dinner party Friday, but since it decided to SNOW in Atlanta Friday, we didn't go. Doesn't look like it will be rescheduled before Christmas, so I get to use those for our Christmas, and I'll make the second batch when dinner is rescheduled. So that's great news for me, that those don't have to be made before we leave Sunday.

I'm also definitely going to make that tiger butter discussed in the other post... I can make that Christmas morning if needed!

Going to Blue Ridge in the  Georgia mountains today with sis and niece for a girls' day out. Niece and significant other recently bought what they're calling a cabin that sis and I haven't yet visited. The pictures I've seen look more like a really lovely rustic/log house, complete with billiard table, hot tub, and incredible views. Weather is warming up a bit and the sun will be out.

• Like 2

I've been sick for the past 2 weeks with a nasty case of bronchitis.  Finally felt better on Monday! We had a lovely snowfall over the weekend, so it was a great day for decorating!  In between times on the couch, I did manage to get the tree up and the house decorated for Christmas.  All except the Star Trek tree....not sure when that one will go up.

Yesterday was my birthday, so we spent the evening with the kids and my granddaughter.  :)  

mom's IC cake.jpg

Star Trek blanket.jpg

• Like 1

You all lead such exciting lives and I envy you.

I rarely go anywhere these days but  I am counting my blessings today. I woke up early after a good nights sleep, that is very rare these days but the big blessing is I am almost pain free, that is incredibly rare. I had nothing planned for today apart from maybe driving to the border but I feel like I could go mountain climbing wow... Not a big thrill for many but I aim to savor the day...

• Like 4

I went to the border and picked up 9 packages, mostly plaster molds..heavy and 2 large dollhouses so I will be regretting it tomorrow as you say. I am going out again in a minute to get groceries. It is the first time I have been out of  PJ'S in 2 weeks..isn't that awful

Oh boy do I need to get a life

Thank you, Carrie and Sparkle, I am feeling better today. After being up all night last night, I finally got to Safeway and got some soup, Theraflu, and some sleeping pills early this morning. I took some of each as soon as I got home and slept like a log. Still not feeling all that great, but definitely a million times better than earlier this morning. Course with all these meds, I can't drink any more wine coolers and I have  two left. Always a downside to everything.

Jackie, I'm sure glad you're feeling better. Bronchitis has got to be miserable. Star Trek tree? Now this I have to see! You'll post pics, right?

Jeannine, believe me, if you can hang in PJs for a couple weeks, I'd say that's when life is just getting started! You know you got it good anytime you can do that. Me, I don't have to be anywhere now until Christmas Eve and except when I go to get mail, I plan on living in my PJs until then. As far as I'm concerned, needing to get a life has a lot going for it.

I'd start a thread on pics of us in PJs, but mine is really a night shirt and no one wants to see my fat little legs (and being sick is a good excuse to not shave the little suckers). So hard to unsee things like that. So you guys get a pass this time.

• Like 3

Errands today and grocery shopping.  We finally scraped enough $$ together to go out and order my new stove today, to replace the 30+ year old GE I found at the Habitat for Humanity Restore when we moved here.  I found another one online almost exactly like it, only brand new.  I want front controls and coils on the cooktop, NOT glass.  If we had a nat gas line handy I'd prefer gas appliances for efficiency, but I can cook on either.

14 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Errands today and grocery shopping.  We finally scraped enough $$ together to go out and order my new stove today, to replace the 30+ year old GE I found at the Habitat for Humanity Restore when we moved here.  I found another one online almost exactly like it, only brand new.  I want front controls and coils on the cooktop, NOT glass.  If we had a nat gas line handy I'd prefer gas appliances for efficiency, but I can cook on either.

After years and years of cooking on an electric stove (I loved the glass top!), my new house has a gas stove. It's taking me a bit of time to get used to it.  Different strokes ...

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Have a wonderful time!  DH & I rode the train the day we went to Blue Ridge.

I picked up the brochure. The train wasn't running today, but we kept ourselves entertained. The "cabin" is more like a chalet, and is absolutely gorgeous. We prowled the historic downtown area, ate lunch at a little French café. spent a good bit of time at the Mercier Orchards huge shop, and stopped at Kohl's on the way home. I'd never been to Kohl's, wasn't aware of their discounts, Kohl dollars, etc. I'll apply for a card on line tonight!

11 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Have fun Kathie! Blue Ridge is beautiful!!

We haven't ridden the train, but it's on my list of things to do one day.

Even with its drab winter dress and dregs of snow, it was, indeed, beautiful. I'm looking forward to riding the train in nicer weather.  I love the oxymoron in the brochure -- "... a vintage, climate-controlled car ..."  Wondering what passed for climate control back in something old enough to be vintage, and also wondering if the brochure writers ever read their own words.  :D 

• Like 1

Sounds like a wonderful day Kathie.  I love gas stoves.  I'm worried I won't find a house with gas when (if) we move.  I have an electric stove in reserve if we can find gas hookups

Yes.....I now have 2 stoves (modern sorta).  It seems none of my spouse's cousins wanted their parents stove when they passed.  I casually asked at the reunion what they were going to do with it.     Mistake........ I got it.  It is modern but built to look like an old wood cook stove..    look up country charm stove  if you are curious.

Went to the doctor today, who said my skin rash seems to be clearing it's infection, but to keep taking my medicine and finish it. I have an appointment with a new dermatologist after Christmas in the hopes that I can clear the stubborn thing completely. Today, while waiting for her to see me, I had plenty of time to needlepoint. And, everyone who saw my work said it was gorgeous! :D Got almost a 1/4 of the background done while I waited. Not long now before I post pictures of the finished rug.

• Like 2

I had a gas stove in Havana, I hated when it died and I replaced it.  The oven has electronic ignition, so it can't be used to bake or roast when the power is off; at least I could light the burners to cook on top of the stove when we lost power.  I'm no fan of electric, but it's what we've got here.

I have had a gas stove most of my life, when we moved here 27 years ago there was a gas stove but it was pretty basic, and of course like holly we couldn't use the oven when the electricity was out.  We  soon replaced it with a Premier gas stove, the oven had a pilot that could be lit to use the oven,  I liked the 5 burners especially when canning.  I just replaced that stove last year, with another Premier, this time I got a 6 burner and it has battery operated ignition, so no problem when the electricity goes out.  Although the electricity is not as much of a problem as it once was, the electric company was in Chapter 11 and not doing so well, it still goes out occasionally, at least it is not daily now!

I love gas stoves, hated the years I had to use an electric one. We don't have natural gas around here, only propane. Funny thing, a natural gas pipeline runs through the western portion of town, but we can't get gas service.

We got back from a trip to Pittsburgh area to visit our 6 year old granddaughter yesterday. The drive back from central New York to Maine was terrible. Snow - snow - snow, then freezing rain through the tip of New Hampshire and southern Maine. Our new front door will have to sit in the garage a bit longer, it's too icy cold to install it.

I spent 2 days playing board games with Emily. She's just like her dad, has to win every game. She finally caught on that grandma will allow no cheating. During a game of Battleship she kept asking for clues as to where my ships were and finally offered me clues in exchange. I sighed and finally agreed. She discovered that the clues helped me a lot more than they helped her. I sank all her ships. She also coughed for 2 days solid. I hope I don't come down with kid crud. DH started getting sick during the drive home.