What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

The landscapers will be here today to do a general yard cleanup, begin working on the patio made from recycled edging bricks, and maybe beginning to move some of the Rose of Sharons, azaleas, iris, and daylilies. I'm excited. :cheer:  While they do all that, I'll be busy turning the useless fire pit into a planter suitable for Buddha.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jbnmini said:

enjoy the concert!!  :D  

If you ever get a chance to see Ed Sheeran live - DO IT!  He is utterly brilliant!!!  There is something incredibly 'right' about humanity when you have one man on stage with a guitar and 45000 people singing along with him for two hours.  What an experience.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

If you ever get a chance to see Ed Sheeran live - DO IT!  He is utterly brilliant!!!  There is something incredibly 'right' about humanity when you have one man on stage with a guitar and 45000 people singing along with him for two hours.  What an experience.  

I'm so glad you had a good time

• Like 1

I'm spending my second day in bed with huge hip pain. I'd been working on my palm thatch on Monday, swiveling in my desk chair from the sewing machine on the table on one side and the cottage on the table on my other side. I thought doing it this way would be better for my back, but apparently this triggered my back/hip problem, something that acts up at least once a year now, so it seems it wasn't such a great idea after all. It'll take about a week till I can stand and walk around for more than a few minutes at a time. If I sit down I can't stand up straight, when I've been lying down flat on my back it's hard to bend to sit. Fortunately I remembered the hiking staff I'd given my son for Xmas. I tried it out this morning when I had to go to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. It helped take the strain off my hip. A cane might have been better, but we don't have one.

On the up side, our new front door that we bought last fall is finally being installed even as I type. The manufacturer made a mistake painting it and had to take it back and make a new one, and by the time it came it couldn't be installed because the weather went into severe winter mode. I can hear banging and wood screeching. DH just opened the bedroom door and asked if we have any Raid. Looks like they found carpenter ants.

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Well, barring a VA roadblock, we should close at the end of April. Guess it's time to get back to serious packing (again).  I stopped when he returned and made no movement to look for a house.

Congratulations, on the Newhouse. Where did you finally decide to settle down? Sorry if I missed it somehow.

59 minutes ago, Sable said:

Congratulations, on the Newhouse. Where did you finally decide to settle down? Sorry if I missed it somehow.

She'll be in Gulfport, MS, a day-trip from me.

• Like 2

Good to hear y'all have settled on a place - and i do not envy you the packing. I'm taking a few days off right now to declutter  the house and I will throw a lot of things out. (No, none of them from the mini-stash). 

So, welcome to the coast where it is never the heat but the humidity............. LOL 

• Like 1

Reporting in from Copenhagen! We’ve gotten our visas taken care of and also found a house! It’s in Søborg which is a northwest suburb of Copenhagen. It’s absolutely beautiful and has more than enough room for all my miniature work. There’s even a work room that’s perfect for woodworking! They’re also fine with all the pets which was very important.

It’s 15 minutes to the train station that would take you to Copenhagen and is also smack in between both of the schools Maya will go to. We get to stay there for a minimum of two years. Fingers crossed we can stay for longer so maya can have some stability. Deloitte is reaching out to the school for us to help with getting her placed.

we go back on Monday and that starts the mad dash to get everything finalized before Josh leaves at the end of April. We’re relaxing as much as we can now because its going to be crazy when we get back!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

Reporting in from Copenhagen! We’ve gotten our visas taken care of and also found a house! It’s in Søborg which is a northwest suburb of Copenhagen. It’s absolutely beautiful and has more than enough room for all my miniature work. There’s even a work room that’s perfect for woodworking! They’re also fine with all the pets which was very important.

It’s 15 minutes to the train station that would take you to Copenhagen and is also smack in between both of the schools Maya will go to. We get to stay there for a minimum of two years. Fingers crossed we can stay for longer so maya can have some stability. Deloitte is reaching out to the school for us to help with getting her placed.

we go back on Monday and that starts the mad dash to get everything finalized before Josh leaves at the end of April. We’re relaxing as much as we can now because its going to be crazy when we get back!

Congrats. and the biggest hurdle is overcome you found  place to live and love it . Looking forward to seeing your posts form your new home.

2 hours ago, SewMini said:

we go back on Monday and that starts the mad dash to get everything finalized 

I just want to say I think you have been very brave through this whole process.  Obviously I only get insight into how you’re feeling and handling everything through your posts here but the thought of picking up everything and moving to another country would scare the sh#t out of me.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I just want to say I think you have been very brave through this whole process.  Obviously I only get insight into how you’re feeling and handling everything through your posts here but the thought of picking up everything and moving to another country would scare the sh#t out of me.  

You get used to it Keith, I've been moving to a different country every three years since 1990 :)

@SewMini You are sooo fortunate to get to live in Copenhagen, land of Danish modern (make sure you get to the flea markets :) )

23 minutes ago, Keifer said:

It would scare a whole lot more than that out of me to be out of work with no job pending, having been there several times in the course of my life, most of them with small to school age children.  Kudos, Miranda!  You do what you gotta do.

Taking things easy today after a rather eventful yesterday. I was just starting my shower when my left foot slipped, and I tumbled flat on my back out of the shower and slammed onto the tile. Stupid tub edge levered the back of my knees and kept me from regaining my feet. Brought the shower curtain down with me, too. So there I am, flopping around on the floor, trying to get over to the sink cabinet so I can regain my feet. Took some doing, let me tell you! It was like a scene from a bad movie. Luckily, when I fell, my hair clip on the back of my head hit the floor first and kept me from hitting my head and getting a concussion. Then I had to go to my doctor, so I was moving quite slowly. I didn't break anything, so that's good, but today I'm sore all over and stiff.

9 minutes ago, blueirishmoon said:

Taking things easy today after a rather eventful yesterday. I was just starting my shower when my left foot slipped, and I tumbled flat on my back out of the shower and slammed onto the tile. Stupid tub edge levered the back of my knees and kept me from regaining my feet. Brought the shower curtain down with me, too. So there I am, flopping around on the floor, trying to get over to the sink cabinet so I can regain my feet. Took some doing, let me tell you! It was like a scene from a bad movie. Luckily, when I fell, my hair clip on the back of my head hit the floor first and kept me from hitting my head and getting a concussion. Then I had to go to my doctor, so I was moving quite slowly. I didn't break anything, so that's good, but today I'm sore all over and stiff.

That’s terrible! Glad you will be ok and it was not worse. 

My commiserations, Cynthia. Falling in the bathroom is just about one of the worst places to fall. I hope you don't take too long to recover. I'm still in pain from my stupid swivel chair debacle. Bed and the floor are about the only places I can hang out on. That  was a stupid sentence, but it's the best I can do.

Oh trust me. I don't fall often, maybe every 8 years or so, but when I do, it's epic! And it's never the same way twice...Thanks for all the commiserations. First thing on the to-do list is to get some kind of non-slip mat before I use that shower again. Meanwhile, I'll use the tiny stall shower in the guest room. Sigh. Hate that dinky setup.

4 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Oh trust me. I don't fall often, maybe every 8 years or so, but when I do, it's epic! And it's never the same way twice...Thanks for all the commiserations. First thing on the to-do list is to get some kind of non-slip mat before I use that shower again. Meanwhile, I'll use the tiny stall shower in the guest room. Sigh. Hate that dinky setup.

When using tub showers where no non-slip mat is provided (motels, friend's home, etc), I put down a hand towel to stand on to prevent slips. It's a temporary fix, but could keep you out of the dinky guest room shower. :) 

• Like 1