What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Had a very nice Easter dinner with my unexpected houseguest at my sister's house. My brother-in-law is at the repetitive stage of dementia. He and Cousin Dave got along famously, exchanging stories that we'd all heard several times before but were new to the two of them. Even as I was returning custody to his daughter this morning, he was telling anyone in sight what a fabulous time he had and how extraordinarily nice my family members are. :) 

Went car looking today. Bleh. It's time to get rid of Brennen's vehicle while we still can. We are considering buying a car for us, and giving him ours. That will cost more, but I guess we are kinda due for one. He'll be home for the summer in 4 weeks, so we'll wait until then. But that gives us time to look and decide.

Oh I'm right there with ya! We've bought only 3. We've had 6 cars given to us, so we've been very fortunate, both to receive the vehicle, and to not have to do the buying. The funniest part is? My dad was a car salesman while I was growing up. He did help us buy the very first vehicle we got though. I think we just showed up and signed things, he picked it out and everything. So guess we'll change the number to two we actually had to go through the process for.

I am so torn between buying something nice for us (our current vehicle is 10 years old, and is one of the hand-me-downs we received), or buying something older for my son.

It will all work out though. Just need something for him to drive through Atlanta on a regular basis.

I have bought two cars myself; it would have been four, but that particular car dealership was too chauvinist to let a married woman buy her own car!  The Renault Alliance was my favorite, it was so-o-o comfortable to drive/ ride in on long road trips, and if a log truck hadn't eaten it one morning on my way to work I'd have driven it to a pile of parts.  I did drive my PT Cruiser to literal pieces!  I loved those cars.

40 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I hate car shopping.  Out of the close to 20 vehicles I’ve owned, only one transaction I felt good about.  Sorry to be such a downer...

I'm with you on this I hate buying cars I've had 6 cars all ran until they died . I either killed them or one of my sons . My last two cars haven't been to bad since I now buy the loaner cars a dealership has . They usually have  about 10,000 miles on them and a big discount. I will not buy a brand new car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

The Renault Alliance was my favorite

I had forgotten about that car...thanks for flashback.  Also I was off on the number of cars I’ve owned, only 12. 

Spring break day 2: Not nearly as productive as day one.

Besides car shopping (we only visited one place) I bought some new door mats for my newly painted porch (and used Kohl's cash so cost was zero -yay!). Then I came home and sat on the sofa the entire ready of the day and did basically nothing. Boo. I didn't even go downstairs and work on the quick little roombox kit I started Monday night. I'm having trouble committing to paper. I bought it from Cindy Crane at Miniature Luxuries, she has moved a little towards paper crafting. So she sells these kits and paper to cover them, and she has them all done up with torn, aged edges, lace, pearls, flowers... And I just can't pull it off. I've taken a couple classes with her and made a little chest with the same process in one class, but I just can't picture it with this little house.

Anyhow... Today is Day 3. Hope it's more productive. Husband has said it's deep cleaning day. Yuck.  To get ready for the visitors we have every other month. April is our month. I did already go downstairs and sand the furniture I painted Monday night, so at least there's that.

Waiting for the landscapers to arrive. Today they will plant 4 trees, 3 forsythia bushes, and move dozens of iris and lilies hither and yon. I've become quite skilled with the  marking paint and have marked out the intended locations of said flora for them. I'm excited. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Yay Kathie, I'm so excited for you!! :clap:

They just left. My pedometer tells me I walked nearly 2 miles while overseeing the planting, but I am totally pleased with the results. 

• Like 1

Our laptop went into death throes this morning.  DS#2, our family computer guru, had gotten his dad to pick up a chrome book last time he was here, so I'm getting used to it.

I've been ordering pieces from Ebay to complete the set of china my mother got piece by piece at the supermarket back in the early 50's. I'll have enough for a complete set for 4, am tempted to go for 8, but I don't really need it so I'm fighting the temptation down. I'm still thinking - do I want soup/cereal bowls or not? I'm not sure that mom ever bought those.

17 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Packing, packing, packing.   My hip hurts.  Goodness, I need to stay away from the "oops" paint.  Oh wait,       ......just bought 10 more. Hahaha.  50cents each before the 10% military discount.   Lol.  Holly and Chris will have a lot to choose from.

Lawanda, I'm using a Thermacare heat wrap on my aching hip and lower back. The heat lasts 8 hours and helps me a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

I've been ordering pieces from Ebay to complete the set of china my mother got piece by piece at the supermarket back in the early 50's. I'll have enough for a complete set for 4, am tempted to go for 8, but I don't really need it so I'm fighting the temptation down. I'm still thinking - do I want soup/cereal bowls or not? I'm not sure that mom ever bought those.

....My aunt has some from her mother that they put in boxes of oatmeal. I wish companies still did promotions like they use to.

11 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

....My aunt has some from her mother that they put in boxes of oatmeal. I wish companies still did promotions like they use to.

And Betty Crocker Coupons.  Remember those?  We have beautiful Oneida stainless flatware, service for 16 (including extra spoons and serving pieces), that I got for something like $25 and a gajillion Betty Crocker coupons.

• Like 2

Spring cleaning my workshop - 3 carloads to the dump already! :drive:

Sorting...

Printed out a layout map of Lowes - for what goes where - I find myself staring at something, trying to figure out where to put it

& it ends up in misc. or 'to be sorted' :dunno:

I made a couple of shelf units with just enough space to slip dog food cartons on -10 shelves w/3 cartons across...

2 units = 60 cartons.

1 unit for supplies & 1 for tools.

I have 3 other shelves for projects.

Time to sleep...

I have been doing a DVD collection cull. I have several hundred DVD;s many of them are the full sets  of British series, plus many British comedies etc. that my husband used to love, plus all my favorites too so it is a big collection. I have no idea what to do with them, there are hundreds of dollars worth. It seems bit by bit I am giving up on so many things. Maybe this really is the slippery slope LOL.The thing is I need the room  on the book shelves as they take up so much space so even ones I have bought in the last year have to go.Anyway I have boxed about 4/5ths of them. Now what?

2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I have been doing a DVD collection cull. I have several hundred DVD;s many of them are the full sets  of British series, plus many British comedies etc. that my husband used to love, plus all my favorites too so it is a big collection. I have no idea what to do with them, there are hundreds of dollars worth. It seems bit by bit I am giving up on so many things. Maybe this really is the slippery slope LOL.The thing is I need the room  on the book shelves as they take up so much space so even ones I have bought in the last year have to go.Anyway I have boxed about 4/5ths of them. Now what?

Can you donate to a library?

• Like 1