What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

59 minutes ago, KathieB said:

It was lying in wait for you. :D 

Kathie, I think she means that someone else beat her to it since it is pending. Could be wrong though. Kelly, is that the case or am I incorrect?

Finally! #1 son who has been living at home for 6 months until he sold his old condo and closed on the new one today, is gone. Yippee, hula dance, jumping up and down with glee! 

#2 son, also at home, should be getting a job offer with a gubernatorial campaign tomorrow. Another Yippee, hula dance and jumping up and down with glee!  Mama’s don’t let your babies grow up to be involved with political campaigns. It’s too seasonal.

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

:rant: This is me today. I've been looking for property since February. Today I found a lot the size I want, the area I want, with a price I can afford, that already has electric, water, and a two bedroom septic on it. I've never seen the property before in all the listings I've looked at. It's pending. And it's been listed for 151 days. WHERE WAS IT?

Yay!!!!

53 minutes ago, Sable said:

Kathie, I think she means that someone else beat her to it since it is pending. Could be wrong though. Kelly, is that the case or am I incorrect?

I'd hoped she meant it was pending for her ... if someone else has made a claim to it, we can always hope their offer falls through. 

33 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I'd hoped she meant it was pending for her ... if someone else has made a claim to it, we can always hope their offer falls through. 

Oh I thought she meant it was pending for her .... ugh I hope she clears that up soon

21 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

We’re in Kauai and look at the balcony rails - I see dollhouse trim - it’s everywhere 

3E09B789-F5CD-49EC-867D-97ABCB60288D.jpeg

Are you in Poipu side . I think I've stayed here before . This is my and my husbands favorite island.

3 hours ago, NellBell said:

Are you in Poipu side . I think I've stayed here before . This is my and my husbands favorite island.

Close to it, we were at Poipu Beach this morning - this is closest to Kapaa, we're headed to Maui tomorrow afternoon.  Kauai is absolutely beautiful!

The property with the septic on it is pending all right, but not for me. Someone else is going to get it. I meant to say I didn't see it until it was already pending.

Well, I'm now debating two other properties. They're approximately the same price. One is 1.3 acres and has water into the property, electric close by, an expired septic design done, and is partly cleared. Taxes are high and there's a $250 HOA yearly fee. In addition, each lot is limited to 500 gallons of water a day and I can only make a lawn out of half an acre. I guess they want the other half left in woods. This one would get some snow in the winter, probably more wind, too.

The other property is 5 acres and needs to not only be cleared, but probably needs a road bulldozed to it and into it. Water and electric are in the street, but I don't know what street or how much it would cost to bring them into the property. Taxes are lower and there's no HOA fee and I don't think there's any restrictions on the property, but I'd have to check that. The owner is getting it surveyed but I'd probably have to get a wetlands delineation done on it.

Both properties are bordered with trees, so I would be able to hideout and live on either property until I could afford to put a trailer on them. In the case of the 5 acre property, that one is surrounded by a couple of other 5 acre properties, so I'd be very secluded. If I buy it, I'm going to have at least a quarter acre cleared right away and then I'd be in my own little clearing surrounded by about 20 acres of wood. It's not that bad - there's houses all around that patch of woods, but the lot I'm looking at sits right in the middle, more or less.

So we'll see what happens.

Noisy neighborhood today. The big commercial cherry picker bucket trucks are out cutting the coconuts and fronds off of the coconut trees. They are such an expensive tree to maintain and should be cut before hurricane season. My hedge needs trimming but since I lost my large nesting tree during Irma, the birds are nesting in the hedge. I think I’ll call the landscaper and ask that he trim it next month instead of next week.

Today is one of those days that when I go to bed tonight it will be over.  I got to have part of my right cheek biopsied this AM at the dermatologist's and spent almost all afternoon on hold trying to report a case of credit card fraud/ identity theft.  At least that has an up side, being an old lady means the credit agencies go after the defrauder with guns blazing.

24 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Today is one of those days that when I go to bed tonight it will be over.  I got to have part of my right cheek biopsied this AM at the dermatologist's and spent almost all afternoon on hold trying to report a case of credit card fraud/ identity theft.  At least that has an up side, being an old lady means the credit agencies go after the defrauder with guns blazing.

Holly, you are in my thoughts with the biopsy. You were so thoughtful during my nose skin cancer ordeal this past year that I hope I can be equally supportive. My new credit card was delivered yesterday after a skimmer copied the old one a month ago. $2,500 worth of daily $99 charges at 3 Palm Beach WaWa’s (7/11 type stores). I was upset that my cc company didn’t notify me of the charges. I found them on my statement. Every gas station in our town has been hit with the skimmers. I think they need to start doing hourly checks on their pumps. I haven’t carried cash in years but I think I’m going to have to start doing it again. Thankfully I only use a credit card instead of a debit card. This was my third hit in three years!

7 minutes ago, Sable said:

Holly, you are in my thoughts with the biopsy. You were so thoughtful during my nose skin cancer ordeal this past year that I hope I can be equally supportive. My new credit card was delivered yesterday after a skimmer copied the old one a month ago. $2,500 worth of daily $99 charges at 3 Palm Beach WaWa’s (7/11 type stores). I was upset that my cc company didn’t notify me of the charges. I found them on my statement. Every gas station in our town has been hit with the skimmers. I think they need to start doing hourly checks on their pumps. I haven’t carried cash in years but I think I’m going to have to start doing it again. Thankfully I only use a credit card instead of a debit card. This was my third hit in three years!

Blagh, dear heart!  I like to think there's a special place in hell for those who prey on the elderly.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I wish you good results from the biopsy Holly...

Thank you.  It's a spot I've been watching attentively for over 35 years.

Addendum:  Apparently the credit card fraud (two different banks!) raised my  blood pressure.  My biopsy site began bleeding under the bandaid and by the time I was getting ready for bed blood was leaking from under it.  It was quite a bit and steady, so I got dressed again and the hubs took me to the ER.  The ER doctor decided I wasn't hemorrhaging and sent me home with orders to return if it got worse or else check with the family doctor today; so I'm going in after lunch because it still is going, like the Energizer bunny.

Holly I hope the bleeding is under control.

I woke up at 5 am this morning to head back up to Vero to start the floor demo process. The crew just arrived. Once they get settled I have to find a place to replace my cell phone glass. While packing up the car last night my phone fell out of my purse, hit the driveway and smashed the glass. Unfortunately I had taken my expensive protective cover off of it two days ago because people were complaining they couldn’t hear me on the phone.  It’s always something!

Holly, hope the blood flow has stopped by now. The biopsy must have nicked a healthy artery!

Sable, good luck with the floor project and getting the phone fixed. I hate it when some inanimate object suddenly becomes the focus of life.

Blood no longer oozes out from under the bandaid.  For someone who used to clot nicely from major cuts within a half hour I admit the second day was annoying!

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

...The biopsy must have nicked a healthy artery!...

Nothing so dramatic.  The styptic the dermatologist used worked; our primary doctor agreed my pressure rise whilst dealing with the two attempts at credit card fraud probably set it off (I don't like being asked to hold and then waiting nearly an hour to tell some non-native speaker of English their institution is being ripped off at my expense), and then trying to inform the various credit bureaus was a nightmare in stressing patience.

I'm gone for two days and look what I've missed! Holly, I'm so glad the bleeding has stopped, but I think I'm worrying more about your biopsy than you are! I hate having things like this happen to people I know!

And all that credit card fraud! I have to remind myself to be much more careful in the future, as I use my debit card all over the place. At least having ID theft isn't laughed off the way it was when it first started happening.

Well, everyone, I went in yesterday and made an offer on a property that is 1.3 acres. I have ten days for a feasibility study. I talked to the listing agent and it was all cleared at one time, the water connection is on the property and the electric will come from the back of the lot - I might have to put in a power box. I've called the people who did the septic design to see if they had a guesstimate on the septic installation. There is no HOA, so therefore, no restrictions. There's just a road maintenance fee, which has gone up $50 in 13 years, so I guess that's not too bad. Taxes right now are $432 a year (posted on the listing site, so I didn't mind putting that here). Both the taxes and road maintenance fee will be prorated for me to pay for the rest of the year.

The 500 gallon a day restriction on water is based on yearly use and as I wouldn't be watering a garden in the winter, that should work out. Besides, I can always get those big 55 gallon drums and fill them with rain water. I can have a lawn all over the property but I just can't maintain a lawn in excess of half an acre. So I'll be putting part of the lawn over the drainfield, which, with the rain we get up here, should keep it fairly greenish.

I will be closing in June and probably moving in by July 1st. Depending on the septic cost, I will either put in a septic and move into my car until I can save for some other improvements, or put a workshop on the property and live in that until I can save for a septic. Either way, I'll probably be without a computer for a couple years unless I go into the library to use theirs.

Now I'm just waiting to hear if the owner accepts my offer. It would be awesome if he did, but I expect a couple of counteroffers. I am so excited I can't sit still!

Fingers crossed for you, Kelly.  The biopsy is concerning because the "thing" is on the front of my face, right out there to gross people out if it has to come completely off & leaves any holes.