What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Awww, Jackie, how cute can you get! Someone should make a painting of that picture!

Well, I made a full price offer and we should be closing on June 19th. I hope to be out in my car by the 30th. I'd love to have a camper, but there are a few things that will prevent that. First off, I had hoped with offering only $25,000, I would have enough to have electric and water hooked up to an outside faucet. With this full price offer, I won't have enough to do that, so I'll probably not be on the property that often. It's too far to keep going back and forth for water every day. Maybe by January I'll have enough to get electric and water connected. So even if I had enough for a camper of some sort, there's no point to putting it on the land.

By Washington law I can't camp anywhere for more than 6 months. After that, I'd be more or less squatting on the lot and I suppose if a neighbor saw it, they could call the sheriff and have me removed. Sheds here have to have a permit if they're electrified and can't have a 2nd story and people aren't allowed to live in them. The county wants its housing taxes! So even if I manage to get water and electric hooked up and a shed on the land, I'll still be "squatting. Same if I put a camper or trailer on the property and don't have it hooked up to septic, water, and electric.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years, but I am thrilled to have property of my own. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me here. I have a place to live now and I could stay here, but I would only be able to save max $6000 a year if I did. I can save over $10,000 if I'm not paying rent, so living in my car is something I choose to do.

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Awww, Jackie, how cute can you get! Someone should make a painting of that picture!

Well, I made a full price offer and we should be closing on June 19th. I hope to be out in my car by the 30th. I'd love to have a camper, but there are a few things that will prevent that. First off, I had hoped with offering only $25,000, I would have enough to have electric and water hooked up to an outside faucet. With this full price offer, I won't have enough to do that, so I'll probably not be on the property that often. It's too far to keep going back and forth for water every day. Maybe by January I'll have enough to get electric and water connected. So even if I had enough for a camper of some sort, there's no point to putting it on the land.

By Washington law I can't camp anywhere for more than 6 months. After that, I'd be more or less squatting on the lot and I suppose if a neighbor saw it, they could call the sheriff and have me removed. Sheds here have to have a permit if they're electrified and can't have a 2nd story and people aren't allowed to live in them. The county wants its housing taxes! So even if I manage to get water and electric hooked up and a shed on the land, I'll still be "squatting. Same if I put a camper or trailer on the property and don't have it hooked up to septic, water, and electric.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years, but I am thrilled to have property of my own. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me here. I have a place to live now and I could stay here, but I would only be able to save max $6000 a year if I did. I can save over $10,000 if I'm not paying rent, so living in my car is something I choose to do.

so here's the deal - I'm happy if you're happy!!! You just have to know that we worry about everyones safety, so be safe!  Will everything of to storage until you can move onto the property?  Or do you have friends or relatives that can house your items until you can rehouse them yourself?

• Like 1

Good for you Kelly. I personally don't feel sorry for you by the way . You have a dream and you are following it, it will all work out the way it is meant to. Few of us get to do that.

I always said if I had been born years before, I would have raced for land, traded with the locals and built my own place, you are getting to do that, I am very envious and I shall enjoy your dream on the sidelines.

Further down the line when you are all set up I may just drive by with a pie.. good luck and go for it.  Can I be your cheer leader.

Thank you, Susie and Jeannine!

Susie, it totally depends on how much I have left over after paying for everything. I'm hoping to at least put a small shed on the property to move my stuff into. But I also have to outfit my car and I may even want to get a cheap van. I'm now going to shoot for July 20th to July 31st, give or take a couple days. I won't be called about the closing until right before June 19th and I don't feel like that will give me enough time to get everything ready.

Jeannine, you can always be my cheerleader. I appreciate any support I can get. Lisa is on board with this, but my mother is hysterical, never mind I've been telling her I'm going to do this for years. I'm just hoping I'm not making the biggest mistake of my life!

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

my mother is hysterical, never mind I've been telling her I'm going to do this for years. I'm just hoping I'm not making the biggest mistake of my life!

Becoming hysterical when one thinks a child is stepping off a ledge is a prerogative of motherhood. She'll come around when you come out the other side of this period of your life. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh? Go for it. :) 

3 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Boy do I agree with you on this . 

As soon as I got on the phone and wished her regards of the day, as soon as she said "Happy Mothers' Day" the next words out of her mouth were "Are you taking good care of my baby boy?" (he's 76+).

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

As soon as I got on the phone and wished her regards of the day, as soon as she said "Happy Mothers' Day" the next words out of her mouth were "Are you taking good care of my baby boy?" (he's 76+).

Thanks for the laugh this is a really good one . I'll be using this little story the next time I get ahh MOM from one of my boys . This year my youngest is going to be 30 and I still see them all as my babies. 

When the hubs was stationed at Kaneohe MCAS we took a week to vacation at the military recreation camp across the street from Kiluea's caldera.  Our first full day there we proceeded to hike down into the caldera to the edge of Halemaumau where we could watch the pahoehoe lava crust move under the heat and pressure underneath.  Less than a year later it erupted.

Wait til you see it at night. I started watching at dust this morning. Hundreds of birds chirping as if nothing was going on. Hear the rooster, yet? I get all excited when it sounds like roaring thunder or a jet engine and the lava jumps even higher. This morning the camera was shaking as if there was a tremor. I think the camera is in someone’s house cause I heard a tv on this morning. 

26 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Thank you for the link. I have been fascinated by volcanoes since first seeing them on film as a small child. I seem to get charged when watching them. and this one really did it.

I remember last September when you took so much interest in our Hurricane Irma. I enjoyed our conversations about it. 

The flowing lava that cools into smooth, ropy shapes is the pahoehoe; if you watch the tops of the molten stuff spewing into the air little bits of the lava rapidly cool and fall back; if they don't fall back into the molten lava they form coarse clunkers of aa aa; that stuff will do a number on your shoes if you walk on it much.  I wore a pair of steel toed safety shoes (I used to work in a bindery) on that hike and by the time we staggered back to our room I could see bits of steel shining through at the toes; also,we were coated in alum!

I have a 2nd monitor connected to my laptop. I put the volcano video on it. It's like watching the volcano out of my own window -- eerie. It is about 1 a.m. in Hawaii, darkest night. Wow, what a show, what raw power. Pele is pissed. I think that if I were a resident of the SE part of the island, I would be on my way to the mainland about now.

I think Oahu and the islands to the north are OK to refuge to until Mama Pele gets over this snit.  The Rec Camp offered a program of tours and we took them all; one was with a vulcanologist who explained that the rift forming the active volcanoes was right under the big island, and as the islands aged they sort of drifted northwestward along their part of the tectonic plate.

Instead of two lava fountains it now looks like the vent has opened some more and one huge fountain of lava is leaping out.

There is something about the tree in silhouette ... the fragility so close to the awesome power. Hard to judge distance. I wonder how close the tree is to the lava.

42 minutes ago, Sable said:

I’m so glad you guys are enjoying this as much as I am. 

We inhabit a living organism we call Earth, and whilst some of the functions are downright scary, they are gorgeous to watch!

• Like 1