What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I’m exhausted! I know this sounds silly but I always mop bare concrete floors before a new floor is installed. Lugging buckets of clean water and dumping dirty buckets of gritty concrete water has wrecked my back for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, I don’t have any hot water to take a nice hot bath in. Plus the tub currently holds the bath sink and toilet and the shower is holding TV sets and assorted other stuff. Fifty boxes of new flooring is being delivered in the morning and the bath tile guys are showing up in the PM. Progressing along right on schedule. Knock wood. I’ve got my air mattress, sleeping bag and have reconnected one of the TV’s. Nite nite.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018‎ ‎4‎:‎33‎:‎20‎, WyckedWood said:

We decorate about 25 graves. We arrive Friday, get settled, then laying the arrangements out early Saturday and picking them up Tuesday afternoon. Then we have to organize them and dry them (there will always be several rainstorms while we’re there) in front of the fireplace or with hair dryers before storing them away for the year. My uncle who lives locally let’s us store them in his garage for the year. Each arrangement is in its own labeled, clear Rubbermaid container. We also do general upkeep and cleaning of the headstones so there is a big Rubbermaid full of supplies for that. It’s actually quite a production lol.   I’m not sure how many more times my Mom will be up for doing this, so I try to appreciate every minute. 

Wow that's really fascinating Karin!  Is there a particular reason for doing it on the days you're going?  Any meaning to the dates??  What a lovely time to connect with your Mom and sister!  I'm glad you're appreciating your Mom, my mum is in a rest home with dementia in a city a flight away.  She's 81.  She's in a really good place and well looked after with my two sisters living within ten minutes drive of her (they all moved away from the city I live in btw).  But I get very little time with her and even don't get much time on the phone as it's a communal phone and Mum is very aware that other's may need it.  So I don't call often.  We used to be best friends and would spend an hour on the phone several times a week!  Growing old is not for sissies.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎13‎:‎29‎, Samusa said:

I haven't been around a lot lately.. One of my furbabies has been having some neurological problems so I've been spending my limited time off work tending to him. We just found out yesterday that he has an inoperable 6 centimeter spinal cord tumour. It's quite aggressive and not a cancer that is responsive to chemo.. so his time left with us is limited to how much time we can make him pain free and keep him mobile. Then we will have to make that toughest of journeys.. Hubs and I have no kids so our dogs are everything to us. I shouldn't have favourites but Wrigley is special.. he is such a good boy, so happy and full of life.. he's a mutt and just turned 10. I know they can't live forever but he's always been so active and puppy like, I really though he'd make it into the mid teens. This thing has just come out of the blue and cut him down early. It feels so unfair... but that's life isn't it. I see lots of hamburgers and barbeque chicken, small walks, if he's up to it and sunning himself on the grass in his limited future. :cry:

The worst part is that he was a serial tail wagger and he's already lost function, so he has wagged his last wag... Strangely this is the thing that is really killing me.. Is there anything sadder than a dog that can't wag his tail? :( Love this boy so much!

I am so very sorry to hear about your darling furbaby Sam.  One of our cats - quite a few years ago now, about 16, was very, very sick and we didn't know.  We just noticed one evening how he was breathing quite shallowly.  We took him to the vet the next day and were utterly astounded to be told that his lungs were riddled with cancer and filled with fluid.  He was still letting our daughter put baby hats on him and wheel him around in a doll pram!  He was only about 7.  They drained his lungs and told us we could bring him home.  Told us we'd have about a week with him.  That was May 12.  May 13 was Mothers Day.  We had been up with him all night, sleeping in between our pillows while both my husband and I cried most of the night.  At some point he lost the ability to get up to use the litter tray and he was so embarrassed - still makes me cry.  We took him back to the vets on Mothers Day - I said to my husband, what kind of mother would I be if I let him linger any longer.  To this day I still think of Basil when I drive past a group of Maples in their Autumn colours in May.

Our furbabies give so much of themselves to us.  They love us wholeheartedly - with no reservations.  Mostly when I think of our special past furbabies, I think of the positivity they bought into our lives and how they made our lives, and us, so much better for having them around.  Enjoy this time with him because he'll still be enjoying his time with you.  xxx

On 2018-05-24 20:11:00, KathieB said:

Safe travels!

Thank you! We made it home after some 14-15 hours of Travelling, one of which we spent going by snarlik pace through Berlin center as there are massiva road work going on making it difficult going the regular route. That was sort of interesting, sort of... Thank heavens for the GPS in the car, otherwise I am pretty sure we might have needed to add another hotel night. 

Crosseyed but really Happy being home again eventhough I absolutley Love the hotel in Riccione, the atmosphere, the people running the hotel, the Food, and just about everything there, there is no place like home! Missed you and see I have some catching up to do

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, be sure to check out the links in KathieB's Kilauea eruption thread.  The show has slowed down a bit, but still some awesome sights.

I most definitley Will, just heard about in Italian (which I have decided that I really need to learn) and then I saw its own thread when scanning the topics this morning.

I jinxed myself when I stated everything was going smoothly with the new floors. A truck showed up two hours late and deposited two pallets of flooring in the driveway. “Wait”, I said, “They need to come into the house”. “Sorry, that’s a different crew” replied the driver. Mind you this is the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, you think anyone is going to pick up a phone? Also, leaving $3k of wood flooring outside as tropical storm rains are headed our way for the entire weekend, had me a bit concerned.  Finally at 4:30 a man I’ll call The Ox shows up all by himself to begin carrying in each 50lb box of flooring, one by one, all 50 boxes. So 63 year old 123 lbs of me felt that he needed help. So I carried in about 30% of them. I wish someone had taken a picture of the two of us, The Ox and The Stick. 

While waiting for The Ox to arrive, I scraped all of the caulk where the old quarter rounds were on the baseboard, patched up the significant damage to the drywall from where the countertop backsplash had been attached to the wall. Meanwhile, the song, “I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar” kept popping in my head.

Finally, at 6 I battled the rains and Memorial weekend traffic to make it home to take a well needed bath. Luckily, everyone was headed in the opposite direction toward Orlando so I made it home in just under 2 hours.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

..., the song, “I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar” kept popping in my head....

That song was made for you, Denise! :D 

5 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

UNICORN SPIT.   Lol.  Was in Home Depot for paint (this time for him). They have a small craft area.  What girl can resist a bottle labeled  "unicorn spit". I bought 3.  Haha 

LOL ... love it! ... So, what color is it? I'm guessing it must be an iridescent of some kind.

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

UNICORN SPIT.   Lol.  Was in Home Depot for paint (this time for him). They have a small craft area.  What girl can resist a bottle labeled  "unicorn spit". I bought 3.  Haha 

I saw some at Hobby Lobby the other day, it was very tempting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

There are about 10 different colors.  I bought real, blue, and purple.   Watched a YouTube video.   It seems the lady who created it did so for disabled adults at a care facility.   Haven't opened one yet, but is supposed to be lavender scented

Interesting background. So it's a brand not a color. And scented. I'd say it lives up to its name. :) 

• Like 1

Just popping in to say I am back from the , hospital , just 4 days there so not so bad.

I was in OR almost 4 hours as the surgery was complicated  but I am home.My pain level is very high and I can't sit as I am full  of stitches in, out and around the  areas that make up   my "sit upon" and  as walking is difficult  too I am spending a lot of time on one side on my bed,,which I hate , but I guess each day I am healing bit by bit. I feel like I have given birth to a baby elephant and I have a broom handle somewhere unmentionable. Due to it being very difficult to find only collapsed spaces in my spine they had a very hard job getting the spinal in, it took 20 minutes and 3 lots of refreezing, many electric shocks down my legs as thet hit nerves, The anaesthesiologist said she would stop if I couldn't deal with it but I said I could if she could so we perservered. 20 minutes later  her she found a space and we were off. I had refused general so I was happy to keep going, I refuses sedation in OR as I wanted to be fully awake.

I good thing which I was scared of, they didn't damage my spine anymore than it is so that is excellent

I have to go, 5 minutes  is about all I can take on a chair but I will check in  again later if I can.

Some good news but I will save that for next time. Oh just one thing I found 3 Vanner horses and two are the right size.ne for the caravan and one I can make over for Joe.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Just popping in to say I am back from the , hospital , just 4 days there so not so bad.

... Some good news but I will save that for next time. Oh just one thing I found 3 Vanner horses and two are the right size.ne for the caravan and one I can make over for Joe.

Hooray on both counts! Glad to hear you are home and wishing you a speedy recovery. Hugs. :console:    

Owee, Jeannine, I hurt with you!  But glad to hear you are home in your own bed, where you can heal and get proper rest without being waked up every few minutes by the ambient noises and missing meals being hauled off for this procedure & that test.

Introducing a Hydroxyl Machine (the blue lights). This loud fan sounding device is being used to eliminate the odor left from the adhesive in the floor. The odor was so bad that a neighbor almost called the fire department because he thought he was smelling a gasoline spill. Then he realized it was from my house after the workers had opened the windows on that side. The chemistry produced by this machine is interesting. These machines are being used now to kill bacteria in hospitals, remove skunk, deceased body and smoke smells imbedded in walls and furniture and hopefully Chemical smells. I’m just curious what my electric bill will look like after running this machine for a week.

83339C52-D9DF-46BC-9793-161B50745B73.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sable said:

Hydroxyl Machine (the blue lights).

I have small units that plug into an outlet like oversized air fresheners in both of my bathrooms. They run 24/7. I've seen other configurations in hospitals and public bathrooms. I didn't know they are called hydroxyl machines. In fact, I can't be sure that just because they have blue lights that they are hydroxyl generators.

8 hours ago, Sable said:

Kathie, my generator is very loud like a large fan going at high speed, yet there is no breeze coming from it. Just noise and blue lights.

I checked back on the descriptions of the units I have. (In addition to the two plug-ins in the bathrooms, I have floor models in the living room and bedroom.) The plug-ins are described as using UV-C light to silently destroy mold, bacteria, and odors.  The floor models claim to use heat to reduce up to 99.9% of airborne bacteria, mold, viruses, pet dander, dust mite allergens, and pollen without making a sound.

These units have been working for 2 to 2-1/2 years, in the condo and now here in the house. They seem to be effective. Neither Lloyd nor I were bothered by colds, flu, etc., and bathroom odor is minimal. 

Apparently neither uses the technology in your noisy machine. Do let us know how well it works!

Just back reading to try to catch up.

Sam I am so sorry you are coming to the end with Wrigley. It doesn't help but in the past when I have been faced with the same thing I try to remember the following that my Dad told me about his favorite dog.

We look at our babies and consider them our best friends but we must not forget that you are his best friend too, you can see the bigger picture, he cannot so right now the love and friendship you have for him is more important than ever before.

I know you will have the strength and love to carry him through, you have been blessed with a very special someone, just as he has. God Bless you both XX Jeannine

• Like 1

Re me.. I can sit in a chair a little now but still not able to get to do any mini stuff.

I tried valiantly to finish my caravan before I went for my surgery, I almost have it done so I will try and take  some pictures . I still have the soft furnishings to still. I also have to make some sort of a harness for the horse to attach him to the caravan. I have no idea how to do that or even what it looks like. Ant help would be very much appreciated. I have leather and suede etc just no idea what to do.

6 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Re me.. I can sit in a chair a little now but still not able to get to do any mini stuff.

I tried valiantly to finish my caravan before I went for my surgery, I almost have it done so I will try and take  some pictures . I still have the soft furnishings to still. I also have to make some sort of a harness for the horse to attach him to the caravan. I have no idea how to do that or even what it looks like. Ant help would be very much appreciated. I have leather and suede etc just no idea what to do.

Look at lots and lots of pictures from every angle Jeannine. Use your horse as a dressmakers dummy and leve the rest to your creativity :) Hope you have a swift recovery and can get back to mini-ing soon !

Image result for gypsy caravan harness

Lately I noticed that the bookmarks on my laptop were being duplicated, and deleted bookmarks were coming back! - repeatedly! - even as I was deleting them!

This morning was the last straw so I decided to try and fix it. It's now after 9PM and I think (and hope) I've got it all squared away.In the end I exported the bookmarks that were in the best order to a folder, then I deleted all the bookmarks on both computers. After that I had to go into the computers' user files to delete more copies of bookmarks. Finally I imported the saved bookmarks to my laptop, turned the bookmark sync back on on both computers and now everything looks alright. I hope it stays that way.

The generator installation man came over today to look things over and give us a quote for a new generator that will come on automatically whenever there's a power outage. The first day available to install it is Dec 1st! They used to do all sorts of electrical work, but since everyone in Maine is sick and tired of all the power outages we get, they became so busy installing generators that they gave up the rest of their electrical business to just do generators. The guy says this baby will even let me use the washer and dryer, but not at the same time as the oven.

• Like 2