What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

On 6/22/2018, 11:02:12, Thimble Hall said:

I am having a bath re done..

• My beautiful bathroom is only about 18 months old but it is a bath  and shower  which I wanted when  I moved from the main house  into  the carriage house  but  I can no longer step over the bath edge without taking  chances so it is coming out and a walk in shower the size of the bath is going in. It is a strange feeling to wreck something that is in excellent shape but it is a must do. The shower doors went yesterday and today the demolition starts.

I considered all the options like the sit down bath with a door etc but decided on the above. It has very expensive tiles right to the ceiling and round the small window and on the sill which are in perfect shape so it is a bit heart wrenching. We hoped to match them but no chance . They are already discontinued, Apparently they do that about every three years, so for the sake of about 18 tiles it all has to go.

I am annoyed at my body that is letting me down so I have to do this.... sob sob. I wish I had done this in the first place..sob sob

As you can see I am really miffed by this error of judgement.

YOu can just say you've decided to have a Danish bathroom! All of the bathrooms in my house have walk in showers. In fact, the one on the main floor doesn't even have any kind of separation between the bathroom and the shower. It's all one big room. At first I thought it was a bit weird but I actually think it will be great if my mom ever visits. It's much safer for her to not have to step over anything. An added plus is that it is soooooo easy to clean. I know it's frustrating to have to pull it all out but you will be thankful when it's done and you know you can be safe.

So good news bad news. We FINALLY know when we can get our stuff. The bad news is that they are saying they can deliver it next week....when we are in Russia. Oof. Josh told them multiple times that we would not be around next week but apparently never said it in writing. We're hoping they can just deliver it the week after. The only scary thing is they are saying they would have to unload the container into a warehouse which Josh and I are 100% against. We do NOT want that container opened at all. That is just asking for stuff to go missing. I can't think about my beautiful Moroccan tea set just sitting in a warehouse with who knows passing by. So, we'll see. I know I sound paranoid but we had close friends lose THEIR ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD CONTAINER from storage. Thank goodness she had taken all of her family photos in the car with her. Everything was gone. They never found out what happened to it.

I'm just excited to have access to my minis again! I am bored out of my mind right now and so far the hunt for a good craft store has resulted in pretty much nothing :(

Oh, my goodness! Wish I could hop on a plane and stay at your house to accept delivery of your worldly goods while you're away. Can someone from Josh's company be delegated to accept the delivery?

Miranda keeping Fingers crossed about the delivery of your " house".  Would you sort of "just" accept the container at your house or how is it going to work? If so I might be able to be the one there if at all possible/needed, PM me if I can be of Any help, ok? As for the craft stuff, what are you looking for? Have stuff here to share too

Thanks for the offer Anna! One of us really needs to be here though so we can direct traffic. We have some really heavy pieces of furniture that need to go on different levels so it's best if we can be here to tell them where to put things. I'm actually not sure how they are logistically going to get it here. These roads are narrow!

Mostly, the things I'm most concerned about getting are building materials. Things like little dowels, slats of balsa/bass wood, metal rods/piping, sheets of matboard. That's the kind of stuff that's been proving hard to find. It's going to be really important too because my Willow is half scale and there just isn't a lot of furniture out there for half scale so I'm anticipating having to make most of it myself. The only place I've found that has stuff like that is Stelling but they only have one or two stores in Copenhagen. I know I can order stuff online from Birthe but a lot of times I like to hold things before purchasing and with her being way up in Randers it makes it impossible to do that :(

10 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Thanks for the offer Anna! One of us really needs to be here though so we can direct traffic. We have some really heavy pieces of furniture that need to go on different levels so it's best if we can be here to tell them where to put things. I'm actually not sure how they are logistically going to get it here. These roads are narrow!

Mostly, the things I'm most concerned about getting are building materials. Things like little dowels, slats of balsa/bass wood, metal rods/piping, sheets of matboard. That's the kind of stuff that's been proving hard to find. It's going to be really important too because my Willow is half scale and there just isn't a lot of furniture out there for half scale so I'm anticipating having to make most of it myself. The only place I've found that has stuff like that is Stelling but they only have one or two stores in Copenhagen. I know I can order stuff online from Birthe but a lot of times I like to hold things before purchasing and with her being way up in Randers it makes it impossible to do that :(

Well, there might be a store over in Malmoe/Lund that might be the thing for that, I Will check and see if they are still operations an actually store. 

Mt bathroom is at the "ready for tiling stage", everything ripped out, new plumbing done and the wall board up.

I had some very negative feelings about the company I had booked that would not go away, so my SIL bless him told me to cancel it and he would do it. Oh thank goodness, he is a perfectionist big time so I can sit back and stop worrying.

The tiling will be done Thursday, grouting Friday, so we are nearly there.

Miranda, I know what you mean, my son's house in Holland only has showers, they little one was always in the bath when they visited here.

I had the other type in one of my UK houses, we called it wet room!! It was good as a second one and great for wheelchairs so you will be glad of it for your Mum.

I hope your furniture. boxes delivery goes well. It is a bit overwhelming when it all arrives. I have crossed the Atalantic three times now, we lost 1 box each  on two of the crossings but we had furniture damage. not a lot but they creamed an antique grandfather clock and broke the top of an antique Welsh dresser, it was repairable, but they lost some of the pieces of the clock sadly. However considering how much was packed and it was three times overall it was OK..

Good luck with it all,  you may be surprised when you see things you haven't seen for a  while, I was  but could never quite understand why LOL

• Like 1

When my sister moved to England she shipped her car over. For some reason customs must have thought there was something illegal in it and they completely dismantled the interior. Obviously, they didn’t find anything. She had to pay to put it back together again. 

Jeannine, take every precaution you can to not get that drywall compound dust into your lungs. I thought I was being careful with the concrete dust but I ended up with a horrible cough. Expectorant finally cleared it up. 

1 hour ago, Sable said:

When my sister moved to England she shipped her car over. For some reason customs must have thought there was something illegal in it and they completely dismantled the interior. Obviously, they didn’t find anything. She had to pay to put it back together again. 

Ah, the audacity of the customs officer. If ever we get together with a bottle of wine, ask me about trying to smuggle chargers for battery-operated golf carts into Spain. :crazyeyes:

3 hours ago, Sable said:

That's crazy! I can't believe they did that and then made her pay for it! I would have been livid. 

2 hours ago, SewMini said:

That's crazy! I can't believe they did that and then made her pay for it! I would have been livid. 

She never figured out what the extra box of screws and bolts went to. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd better stop in and say hello. Yes, I'm still alive. :hidebhind:  

Been incredibly busy lately.  For some time now I have been trying to move my hobby into a business.  DH and I don't really have much of a retirement, and need some extra income. I want to quit working on the show circuit. It's been a great job, but 18 years is enough!

This month I bought out another woman's mini business and will be running it from my home. So I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger right now getting all set up. I have cleaned out what used to be Mother's half of our office to make room for a truckload of stuff!  Literally!  I drove to Montana in a rented van and came back with it stuffed to the gills! DH put up lots of new shelves - and has been hauling bags of stuff out to the recycle bin!  Unpacking - cleaning - arranging - rearranging - dumping - organizing.  And trying to get all the new products up on the website!  Exhausting and exhilarating! :sleep_1:

My dear mother is still with us (95) and is requiring more help. Unfortunately her memory is really slipping and we can't leave her alone for more than an hour or so.  With DH and I working together, it's manageable, but for one alone (as he is when I'm working) it is a heavy load. I am hoping to have the mini-business functioning to the point that I can quit working outside the home by next Spring. 

• Like 1

Wow that's a lot of work CJ! I bet it's exciting to see all the stuff though. Good luck to you on your new venture. Is there a way to get someone to come help with your mother? That's a lot to handle.

We FINALLY got our container delivery confirmed. The good news is that they can hold it at the port and not open it until it gets to the house. The only bad news is that it will cost about $600 to hold it but, at the end of the day, that's about how much it would cost for one of us to fly back from Russia to meet it if it came next week so six of one, half a dozen of the other. I just hope all my starbucks mugs survived the journey! We have about 80 of them from all over the world. I think I packed them well enough but we'll see.

The people who own our rental home are here in Denmark for the month. The seem super nice and appear to be really happy that we are their renters. We'll get together with them when we get back from Russia. It's hard to believe we're headed there in just a few days. So much has been happening that I haven't given the trip a second thought. I'm really looking forward to touring the Winter Palace and seeing the subways in Moscow. They are supposed to be amazing!

• Like 1

Miranda, so glad the container issue worked out. I envy you the trip to Russia. The Russian language was my minor in college, but I've never been. Lloyd and I tried to plan a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg with stops to see Anna and MikeUK, but it didn't work out. If you are in St Petersburg, try to visit the Litsedei Mime Theater. I was lucky enough to host some of the actors when the troupe was in the US many moons ago. Their performances are amazing. 

3 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

And trying to get all the new products up on the website!  Exhausting and exhilarating! 

Claudia, congratulations! The website is lovely and easy to navigate. You go, girl!! :cheer:

CJ, how exciting!! Sounds like a lot of work, but great fun.  Can someone please post the link to the website when you have time? I'd love to check it out Thanks!

Miranda, I've been stressing about your shipping container, so I am so glad y'all got it worked out!! Have a great trip to Russia!

37 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

CJ, how exciting!! Sounds like a lot of work, but great fun.  Can someone please post the link to the website when you have time? I'd love to check it out Thanks!

The link is in her signature line :)   CheckMouse Miniatures

Congratulations and welcome home, Claudia!  (HUG)  My DH's momma will be 94 next month and recently moved from her independent living condo to the campus's assisted living facility/ nursing home.  Your site is lovely, but I wish you would put the scale on more of the kit items.

20 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Your site is lovely, but I wish you would put the scale on more of the kit items.

I thought that, too, until I realized that the scale is at the top of the page in a large font. :doh: All items of similar scale are grouped together. 

On 2018-06-25 20:45:04, SewMini said:

Might have found a follow in Copenhagen that could be a source for you, Niels Jalling, he is going to be a vendor at the mariager show. They have his email adress over there too if you would like to email and ask him about it so to speak. 

https://mariagerminiaturemesse.dk/exhibitorlist

Not that I don’t have other priorities to deal with today but I’m rearranging everything to bash and paint a 1930’s telephone table for the beach house. I saw it this morning for sale for $25 on Nextdoor.com and owned it within the hour. I feel a little guilty dismantling the end pieces and painting it but oh well, it suits my purpose and will look great in Vero.

• Like 1