What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

So we are back home again after a Marvelous week in the mountain areas of Greece. (Close to the Albanien border) we lived at a very small hotel, ie there are 9 rooms. The staff is friendly, and the hiking/walking/trekking possibilities are endless. The saying "living at the end of the road" is very true here, the road actually stops at this village and after that it is only trekking or Horse back riding up the mountain sides. This short videos show some of the lovley Nature we got to visit https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HzVN7WYz8HA

gettibg home was a bit of an adventure though as the taxi transfer showed up late, very late... we had all but given up getting on the place back home as we Arrived to the AirPort 30 minuters before take off, but the staff at he AirPort openbsd up the check in, rushed our bags through and we did indeed climb the stairs into the plane at the very last second so to speak. We really Couldn't believe our luck when actually sitting there in the plane as it taxen puton the tarmac. 

So Now the washing machine is on its first run, a "few" more to go, but that is ok, with the warm weather over here it Will help in the drying...

• Like 2

Thank you for that video link.  Did you  & your husband get to go white water rafting?  That whole area looked like SO much fun!  I was transported back to our waterfall trek around the mountains of North Georgia and our trip to the New River gorge in West Virginia.

Another trip to MO.  This time to KC area. Took a granddaughter home. Spent Sunday on their farm.  Other granddaughter went with us and she lived the goats, newborn calf, horses, pony, mini horse, AND, ,,,,,,,  OMG!!!  chickens .  

Daughter has a rooster that's no bigger than a hand full.  He thinks he is a big rooster.   It's so funny to watch that little feller chase the big roosters away from HIS ladies. 

Today we go pick up the ashes of "Sir" and find a proper burial spot for him.  We sent him across the Rainbow Bridge on Friday before we headed north.   15+years old and had stopped eating completely.   We tried IV fluids but was just prolonging the inevitable.   He will be missed.  Both granddaughters went with us.(their choice) and were super troopers.  I was so proud of what young ladies they have become.

Tomorrow mom comes to collect the other granddaughter.   It's going to get real quiet around here. 

Went down to Columbia, SC yesterday for the Jane Peterson exhibit. Wonderful! I do love Impressionism. This was the last week for it, so I was very glad to get in and see it, despite all the renovating they're doing at the museum. Here are some of the pretties I saw there:

https://longislandmuseum.org/exhibition/jane-peterson/

https://wcma.williams.edu/collection/featured-acquisitions/jane-peterson/

http://www.artfixdaily.com/artwire/release/6071-retrospective-of-american-impressionist-jane-peterson-opens-at-ma

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/428123508299019486/

So many others, too. The gift shop was closed when we went, but I'm going to try to get my hands on an exhibit catalog nonetheless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Went down to Columbia, SC yesterday for the Jane Peterson exhibit.

Thanks for sharing. Jane Peterson was a new name to me. Her work is lovely.

On 2018-07-17 14:08:33, havanaholly said:

Thank you for that video link.  Did you  & your husband get to go white water rafting?  That whole area looked like SO much fun!  I was transported back to our waterfall trek around the mountains of North Georgia and our trip to the New River gorge in West Virginia.

No rafting this time, but we probably Will next time as we are allready planning for another visit next year. We absolutley loved the serenity and calmneas of this place.

Plumbing woes at our house these last couple of weeks. One day I heard a plink, plink noise near my kitchen stove. It was water coming out of one of a ceiling lights. My son was showering just upstairs. To my great delight I actually got a hold of a plumber on the phone, and he said he'd be over within the hour. He fixed something which he said seemed to be a common problem in the bathrooms in my neighborhood, and said to call him back if the problem returned. After a few days I had water dripping from the shower again, so he's coming back. We're thrilled to death to actually have a real honest to goodness plumber who now knows us. We even discussed redoing that bathroom with him. He has tile guys, drywall guys and carpenters who do work for him. 

Another problem is our first floor toilet. When we flush, the tank only refills sometimes. You have to open it up and tap a thingy in there to get the water to run again. I found a fix on you tube, and was set to try it when I ran into a snag. The valve to turn the water off was stuck and I couldn't turn it. DH just said, we'll let the plumber fix it, don't worry about it.

A couple of days ago our garbage disposal broke, so DH went to the store and got a new one and decided to install it this afternoon. He could  never have gotten that sucker installed without me. At one point, when we were both pretty frustrated, I said, just let me think about it!   He didn't see my point, but a couple of minutes later I had the problem solved. Anyway, eventually we turned on the water to make sure nothing leaked - but of course it did. Eventually we figured out the problem and decided to turn on the disposal to make sure it worked. It didn't. Tomorrow we get to take it all apart again and see why it didn't work. I have a feeling we may have gotten a defective garbage disposal. 

I am sitting here sweltering in the heat. We just got through with a week long heatwave, had a couple nice days, and now we have high heat again for the next 8 days again. Somebody just shoot me now.

It gets worse. My car is at the dealership - since last Wednesday. It should be fixed tomorrow, but it won't come home till Thursday now, as I have to walk down to the credit union to transfer some money and I'm sure not going to go down there except in the early morning.

I need to have something in the computer replaced, then I have a leak in the gasket head, a torn engine mount, spark plugs, breaks are down to their last inch and I have two tires that need to be replaced, as of yesterday. Plus an oil change. Total? $3800. For a $2000 car. Even with the old fart discount.

So the dealership is doing the PCM replacement, everything else is going to my mechanic who almost laughed himself sick over what they were going to charge me. I figure I'll still be putting at least $2200 into the car and that doesn't include new tires.

The guy who was supposed to mow my lot still hasn't called me back and now it doesn't really matter. It looks like I'm here till next January, at least. Before I can move, I need a shed to store my stuff in and before I can get a shed now, I have to save the money for it. The shed money went into the car. That thumping sound you're hearing is me hitting my head against the wall.

On 7/23/2018, 11:19:22, rodentraiser said:

I am sitting here sweltering in the heat. We just got through with a week long heatwave, had a couple nice days, and now we have high heat again for the next 8 days again. Somebody just shoot me now.........

Kelly, that's the pits. Why do things have to happen all at once like that?

The 2nd garbage disposal we got to replace the defective disposal from the day before, leaked water out of the bottom when we turned it on. The plumber came today, so he took a look at it and said it was no good and to return it. He asked if we still had the old one, took a look at it and fixed it! Hooray! He did have to cut a hole in a bedroom wall to check out the leaking shower pipes in the bathroom and finally found the problem. While he was here, since he had the time, he also fixed the downstairs toilet.  I can't tell you how many times we've tried to get someone over to make a repair or to reseed or sod our lawn, install a new door, or something and no one would even call back. My brother in law in another town said a neighbor of his needed his flat roof redone. A roofer came over, looked at it, and said, nah - I don't feel like doing it.

I just finished watching Stage 19 of the Tour de France on NBCSN. Today’s race ended in Laruns, just about 3 miles from my sister’s home. Can’t wait to go back there in September when we will also be touring the French Alps. 

• Like 2

Lots of babbling today. First the blah. The students return to school on Monday, so it's been a crazy last couple weeks at work. The 2nd week of school we start deploying computers to the kids, about 32,000. So I've been making sure the schools have enough computers and accessories. And then today we discovered that the program/company we use for invoicing canceled out about 1,000 invoices totaling over $26,000. Yikes. Oh, and we will open with about 6 schools with no technician. 

Now for happies. Both of my boys have been able to work and help us all summer. Brennen finished today, and goes back to college in 2 weeks. But today, Lawson interviewed for and was offered a job! It's slightly different than what he has done for summer work. But, until he starts, he will be filling in as a technician (which is basically what he has done over the summer) for one of the vacant schools. Yay!

Brennen leaves again in two weeks, and his vehicle is not really drivable right now. So next weekend we were going to need to purchase a new one. He gave up a scholarship when he changed schools (previous school only offered the "pre-major" of his major and it was tim to transfer), and this is a bigger school, so tuition is higher than what we've had to do in the past. Today I got a call from our friend who is getting another car, will then have an extra, so has decided to gift it to Brennen!!  Omg, how awesome is that?! We are so thankful for good friends.

• Like 3

Oldest son on the way to our house from MO.  I'm excited to have him visit for a few days.  Then on the 7th, his daughter is coming down.   Miss Emily is the awesome artist that did 2 mini paintings that hang,  (will hang once the house gets moved here) in my Becon Hill. 

Yuck, Sarah!  Hope he feels better soon.

Our jazz society has been sponsoring a series of jazz-themed movies at the Pensacola library and this afternoon winds things up with "Paris Blues", so we're planning a movie day followed by early dinner on the way home.

Hope your son feels better Sarah! So sorry!

We are going to an escape room today with some friends to celebrate one of their birthdays. There will be 11 of us, in a high difficulty room with a 20% escape rate. We've done two rooms together before, and escaped both times with seconds to spare. But my boys are joining us for the first time, as is another family's 18yo daughter, so we have extra help. Wish us luck! 

17 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Hope your son feels better Sarah! So sorry!

We are going to an escape room today with some friends to celebrate one of their birthdays. There will be 11 of us, in a high difficulty room with a 20% escape rate. We've done two rooms together before, and escaped both times with seconds to spare. But my boys are joining us for the first time, as is another family's 18yo daughter, so we have extra help. Wish us luck! 

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Nursing my son through another colitis flare up. No fun for any of us :(

Poor guy, My son and I can relate. If you ever have any questions please PM me.( I have had Crohn's for 20 years now and I am a nurse.)

Hi Everyone!  My daughter loaned me her laptop so that I could check in with you all from my lounge chair.....I had a total knee replacement done last Wednesday so I am not doing much of anything right now.  My Fibromyalgia kinda makes for some additional pain issues, so I am not feeling the best as of yet.  REALLY need a shower, but have no strength for it yet.  Baby steps.   I have several little projects ready for when I can move around a bit better....but at this rate, that feels like a long way off.  In the meantime I will simply enjoy what you have all been working on!  :)

6 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Hi Everyone!  My daughter loaned me her laptop so that I could check in with you all from my lounge chair.....I had a total knee replacement done last Wednesday so I am not doing much of anything right now.  My Fibromyalgia kinda makes for some additional pain issues, so I am not feeling the best as of yet.  REALLY need a shower, but have no strength for it yet.  Baby steps.   I have several little projects ready for when I can move around a bit better....but at this rate, that feels like a long way off.  In the meantime I will simply enjoy what you have all been working on!  :)

Sending healing thoughts and hope the recovery seems to go by quickly, Jackie! Baby wipes, deodorant and Shower To Shower powder may just be the best solution for the next few days! :bigwink: Hope you have something you can do with your hands - TV really sucks these days, especially when you have nothing else you can do!

• Like 1

Hugs from me, too, Jackie!  My mom just had her second knee replacement two weeks ago.  She really does love her first new knee (nice, straight leg with no pain), and was excited to get the second one done, too.  Hope you have good pain meds and lots of ice!  

• Like 1