What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

When DH and I were married, he was disowned! An Armenian girl had been selected. I have blonde hair and blue eyes.I sure hope someone told her not to wait as it's been 53 years!! When DH was un-disowned, needless to say our relationship was not close. After FIL passed, MIL and I developed a good relationship

I just hope my SILs (4 of them) love me as much as I love them.

Janet, my great sin was that I had "a Yankee brogue" according to my MIL.  Both of my hubs' siblings married the spouses approved by their parents; BIL died shortly before he turned 65, married to his fifth wife; and SIL recently remarried again, number 5 or 6.  Yesterday we celebrated 55 years of his living with my "Yankee brogue" (we lived up North twice & I was always teased for my "Southern accent"; go figure!).

• Like 1

Happy belated anniversary, Holly! Funny thing, we got married a week before my husband's and my birthdays. Mine is the day after his. We've been married 44 years.

My in-law just plain despised me, told DH he'd wind up supporting my whole family, told everyone for years what a terrible, stupid person I was, till eventually they stopped listening to her. She didn't like my brother in law's wife either. I just could never understand how bitter that woman was.

Got Brennen moved into his new dorm today. It went very well. I was sure I was going to be a mess, but I did good.

Here's hoping for a more active, social year for him at this new school. Last year he barely left his room and ate every meal alone. He's got 3 roommates and a kitchen, plus his "not a girlfriend" is close by on the other campus of this school, about 15 minutes away. He has a class on that campus twice a week so they plan to eat dinner together those nights, so there's that.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎08‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎52‎:‎43‎, WyckedWood said:

I feel the same way, she’s definitely teaching me what NOT to do and what NOT to say when I’m a mother in law. 

I love my MIL but as I'm not overly demonstrative I said it for the first time just 2 weeks ago!  (After 22 years of marriage).  However, my FIL....well, before we were even engaged, my FIL told me that 'if you were a bloke I'd thump you'.....and 'there's no way you're going to marry my son'.  He's gone on to be as good a Pa as a FIL which is such a shame.  They live an almost 4 hour drive away from us so we don't see them often.  My MIL is no longer overly mobile - she has Muscular Dystrophy and needs help for pretty much everything now.  My hubby also has MD so he'll end up in a wheel chair in the not too distant future.

22 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Here's hoping for a more active, social year for him at this new school. Last year he barely left his room and ate every meal alone. 

That must have been so hard on you as his Mom.  My son is 16 and a real nerd/geek.  He is a computer programmer (knows 5 programming languages now) and has completed a heap of courses through Rice University in the US.  He's thinking about going over there to do his degree.  Trouble is, he is SUCH a sensitive guy - he's quite shy (although he never used to be) which I'm hoping is just his current age, and he overthinks everything!  My daughter - who's 18, pretty much has everything set and she is very confident within herself.  We homeschooled most of their schooling and they had a heap of friends - both schooled and homeschooled, plus Scouting etc.  Plus I've never pandered to them - never agreed with Jack that he's 'shy'..

I've really noticed that this young generation really love to put labels on themselves and put themselves in boxes.

I can't imagine any of my kids leaving the country for school! Yikes! My daughter went 3 hours away, but then she never came back home, and I hate her being that far. He's "only" an hour away, but unfortunately on the other side of Atlanta, so lots of trafficy interstate driving. Yuck.

Things seem to be going well. He went to eat with 2 roommates and then they went to the other campus to look around, and he "by chance" ran into his not-a-girlfriend and spent some time with her. So he had a good social day. Yay.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018, 10:08:18, Sable said:

Has anyone recently been to the French Alps? I’m going to be there next month and I’m looking for ideas on what to see. Any ideas between Annecy and Strasbourg are welcome.

Strasbourg is nice. We went there a while back and enjoyed it though we werent there for long. Colmar and Mulhouse are both really beautiful places for a pitstop. You can actually take a fast train from Colmar to Basel (though if you have a car you could just drive there too). We stayed in Colmar at Christmas a few years ago and it was stunning.

• Like 1

I'm finally back! Maya started back to school yesterday and Josh is working so now I have to house all to myself for most of the day. I've been working diligently on my little Paris Cafe set. I'll have to post some photos of it. It's nice to have all the pieces right there for you but GOODNESS these kits are nothing to snub your nose at. They're a ton of work. I'm learning a lot about how to make other minis too so that's valuable experience. 

We are settling in here in Denmark. After an extremely busy summer of traveling, we are finally able to take a breather. We got here, stayed for two weeks, went to Russia, came back for another 2 weeks at which time all of our stuff arrived so we were busy with unpacking, then Maya and I left again for two weeks to visit family back in the states. We've been back for a couple weeks but with Maya still at home and needing constant entertainment it was still busy. I can finally breathe now! The good news is Maya got placed in quite a few regular classes at Danish school so she's really happy about school now. All that's left is for me to learn Danish so I can get a job. Easy peasy, right? *drinks heavily*

• Like 3

Just popping in to say "HI!" :wave:   Recovery from the knee surgery is going rather slowly.  Oh sure, getting past those infamous first 2 weeks is a bugger....but it seems a combo of my Fibro and many months of constant swelling prior to the surgery have hampered the recovery of the thigh muscles. (And quite possibly the fact that I am a baby about pain)  Nonetheless, my therapist (happy to see me since it's been quite a few years since my last visit) seemed confidant that he could coax it back to functioning properly and have me "up to speed" with the rest of my July 25 knee-surgery graduates (there were 12 of us!). 

So, all of that to say that I still cannot sit properly at the dining room table to work on my projects....and I thoroughly do not trust myself enough to try and paint while in my hubby's lounge chair....don't want it to end up looking like most of my shirts and pants. :doh:   In the meantime I will continue to admire all of your lovely work! :clap:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

:D So fun to share my hobby!

Jackie, glad to hear your therapy is coming along. I agree about the fun of sharing. The other day a young man came to install my new Ring doorbell. Turned out he is a student at SCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design here in Atlanta, in their film program. He took a lot of photos of my houseboat, said it would make a perfect set for the stop-action short he is working on. Then he asked if I'd mind if he came back to interview me for an upcoming short documentary assignment. :) I gave him my card. If it comes to pass, it will be fun. If not, I at least got to enjoy his enthusiasm over my houses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Just popping in to say "HI!" :wave:   Recovery from the knee surgery is going rather slowly.  Oh sure, getting past those infamous first 2 weeks is a bugger....but it seems a combo of my Fibro and many months of constant swelling prior to the surgery have hampered the recovery of the thigh muscles. 

Didn't realise you were another on here with Fibro!!  Have you found that the meds you've been given from the surgery help with the Fibro pain?  It's a real bugger isn't it when metally and emotionally you are up for doing something but your body just says 'NO'!  :D  Good luck with the recovery!

22 hours ago, SewMini said:

I'm finally back! Maya started back to school yesterday and Josh is working so now I have to house all to myself for most of the day. I've been working diligently on my little Paris Cafe set. I'll have to post some photos of it. It's nice to have all the pieces right there for you but GOODNESS these kits are nothing to snub your nose at. They're a ton of work. I'm learning a lot about how to make other minis too so that's valuable experience. 

We are settling in here in Denmark. After an extremely busy summer of traveling, we are finally able to take a breather. We got here, stayed for two weeks, went to Russia, came back for another 2 weeks at which time all of our stuff arrived so we were busy with unpacking, then Maya and I left again for two weeks to visit family back in the states. We've been back for a couple weeks but with Maya still at home and needing constant entertainment it was still busy. I can finally breathe now! The good news is Maya got placed in quite a few regular classes at Danish school so she's really happy about school now. All that's left is for me to learn Danish so I can get a job. Easy peasy, right? *drinks heavily*

Are you talking about the little 1:24 Chinese kits?  I've done a few and have a few to do.  They are pretty time consuming and in parts tricky - as you say, despite having everything there you still have to create things!  Good to do when you don't want to be bothered trying to figure out how to do stuff!  I've enjoyed doing mine.  So exciting about your new lifestyle!!  Does Maya speak Danish?  Wow all that travel!  But I bet you've got a heap of mini inspiration now!!

• Like 1

Yeah, I have the Paris Coffee and Cake Shop kit - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Paris-coffee-cake-shop-France-style-Large-DIY-Doll-house-3D-Miniature-LED-light-Music-box/32350120837.html

I bought it before I left for Denmark so that I would have something to do once the dust settled. It definitely takes a lot of patience! I do like the kits especially now that I'm in Denmark because it is SOOOOOOO hard to find art supplies here. There are almost no craft stores and I've only found one art store. Once I start working on my 1/2 scale Van Buren, I think I'm going to have to do a lot of online shopping which is a bummer because I like to see things before I order them. Oh well!

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎25‎:‎36‎, SewMini said:

Yeah, I have the Paris Coffee and Cake Shop kit - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Paris-coffee-cake-shop-France-style-Large-DIY-Doll-house-3D-Miniature-LED-light-Music-box/32350120837.html

I bought it before I left for Denmark so that I would have something to do once the dust settled. It definitely takes a lot of patience! I do like the kits especially now that I'm in Denmark because it is SOOOOOOO hard to find art supplies here. There are almost no craft stores and I've only found one art store. Once I start working on my 1/2 scale Van Buren, I think I'm going to have to do a lot of online shopping which is a bummer because I like to see things before I order them. Oh well!

I have looked at that one so often!  I have a coffee shop to do but it's a little different.  I have to buy most of my miniatures from online shops as we don't have any physical dollhouse shops here.  We have one major crafting store chain here - but nothing compared to the US's big ones!