What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jeannine, I wish I could share my genes that give me excess iron; my hemoglobin is usually sky high.

Holly, were you ever tested for Hemochromatosis? My father has it. It is kept manageable via regular blood donations. Don’t use cast iron pans either.

5 minutes ago, Sable said:

Holly, were you ever tested for Hemochromatosis? My father has it. It is kept manageable via regular blood donations. Don’t use cast iron pans either.

No, it was never high enough to alarm doctors, just high for old ladies.  I get labs done twice a year.  I rarely bake with cast iron and my cookware is either steel or copper.

I'm still working part-time and job searching.  I attended my first trial a few weeks ago (I've only been a paralegal since 2007).  Apparently our client's HOA didn't like him turning his house into a used car dealership amongst $500,000 homes. LOL.  To be fair, he did stop selling them at his house before they sued him.

I'm still doing RL house repairs, so I haven't had any time to spend on minis.  I'm hoping to get some work done on the Tudor soon, but with my DD #2 damaging my projects daily, I'm thinking about holding off until I can secure them away from my kids.

Also, my last PT appointment is tomorrow.  I can walk with a little bit of a limp.  I was told the recovery for my broken femur will be another 12 to 24 months, so it will hurt for a while.  I can just be happy to be able to walk at all and still have my leg.  

Well my gorgeous and very special niece is in labour with her first baby.  She's had a heck of a pregnancy with never ending morning sickness.  She's ended up in hospital quite a few times and had about 10 CT scans.  So they decided to induce her on her due date which was yesterday.  So yesterday at 4pm she was given the meds.  She laboured hard overnight but by morning was still not dilated nor had her waters broken.  About an hour ago (It's just after 1pm here in NZ) I heard from my sister (her mum) that she is finally 3cm dilated and waters have broken.  It's a hard labour after a hard pregnancy.  It's so hard to not be able to do anything for her.  Quite apart from the fact that I'd have to catch a plane to be able to see her!  She is such a special girl and she had a really hard upbringing with her nasty abusive father (until my sister was finally able to leave - and even then he made life hard for my niece).  I just wanted her to have a really special experience with bringing this baby girl into the world.  My births were both so special - no pain meds, both in water - first 12 hours and the second 6.  Why is it that for some people things never seem to come easily for them?  They have to battle against the world it seems.  I'm trying to be distracted but as time drags on I am getting more and more worried.

Sorry - just wanted to share with people who no doubt completely understand!  Plus of course I needed to share in privacy.  Thanks all for listening. xx

Rebecca,

As a father to 3 preemies and all four of my wife's pregnancies being difficult and with complications, the feeling of being unable to assist beyond moral support was horrifying.  I could only imagine how you must have felt.  Knowing that my kids were in good hands helped and they have all pulled through to be very destructive little ones thus far.

I'm unable to post attachments to my comments, but I did post a new entry in my blog with a pic of my partially shattered femur.  It's kind of healing, but with a 10 inch long bone shard (looks like a long splinter) that is only slightly attached to the rest of the bone.

• Like 2

Thanks all - she's now 5cm dilated and had an epidural.  It's been 25hrs since having the meds but apparently baby is good and the staff have been fantastic.  Nice to know that my sister is with her daughter and glad that she'll be able to rest a little now the pain has gone.  It has brought up some emotional crap between my other sister and I which was bound to come up at some stage.  Had a bit of an emotional (and hormonal) day and achieved little.  Thankfully I am being distracted now as the kids open their 'weapons' which finally arrived today.  Son a warhammer and daughter a Katana and shield (LARP gear).

14 minutes ago, pdlnpeabody said:

Rebecca,

As a father to 3 preemies and all four of my wife's pregnancies being difficult and with complications, the feeling of being unable to assist beyond moral support was horrifying.  I could only imagine how you must have felt.  Knowing that my kids were in good hands helped and they have all pulled through to be very destructive little ones thus far.

I'm unable to post attachments to my comments, but I did post a new entry in my blog with a pic of my partially shattered femur.  It's kind of healing, but with a 10 inch long bone shard (looks like a long splinter) that is only slightly attached to the rest of the bone.

Thanks for that Jeremy.  Your wife is amazing going through 4 pregnancies, labours etc!!  Now to go look at your blog......your poor leg!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

Why is it that for some people things never seem to come easily for them?  They have to battle against the world it seems.  I'm trying to be distracted but as time drags on I am getting more and more worried.

I wish I had answers for you. It is one of those mysteries of life. I take comfort in believing that  someday in the hereafter I will know the answer. 1 of my three kids is blessed with having to overcome every obstacle, while the other 2 have had it pretty easy. I say blessed because he just rolls with it, while the other two stumble and fall over tiny pebbles. He on the other hand has learned to scale mountains. Just Love her and support her as best as you can. (((HUGS)))

• Like 2

All the best to your niece, Rebecca. That sounds like a really tough experience. I hope everyone is happy and healthy by the end. 

I've been super busy this week with chores and errands. Our friends left on Monday after which I spent most of the day napping because I was so exhausted from taking them around. After that, I spent the next few days doing tons of yardwork. Apparently our lawn maintenance was not up to snuff according to the management company. Apparently, it's a cardinal sin to not have your hedges perfectly trimmed here so we got all of that taken care of. My apple tree in the front has been exploding so I made a gigantic apple pie yesterday. it was amazing if I do say so myself! I found a sort of caramel apple pie recipe on allrecipes.com. It was different in that you poured this sugar/butter mixture over the apples after you put them in the pie dish with the bottom crust rather than dusting the apples with flour and cinnamon and topping with butter. It was the best pie I've ever made. This is the recipe I used https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12682/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search. I goofed and didn't put the lattice crust on before pouring the sauce. It was fine though because I wanted a full top crust. Still tasted amazing!

• Like 2

Well my gorgeous niece had an emergency c-section and my beautiful great-niece was born at 10.55pm on 14th September weighing 8 pounds 1 oz.  Her name is Skyla Rose Joan James.  And she is a really beautiful wee girl.  So exciting!  I get to meet her next month when the kids and I fly down to see them.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Shareb said:

Well my gorgeous niece had an emergency c-section and my beautiful great-niece was born at 10.55pm on 14th September weighing 8 pounds 1 oz.  Her name is Skyla Rose Joan James.  And she is a really beautiful wee girl.  So exciting!  I get to meet her next month when the kids and I fly down to see them.

Glad she's on the mend and baby is healthy!  Congratulations to all!

• Like 1

Thanks all!  Yup - apparently she was stuck so it was a really good thing that they got her out!  Her mum and dad are floating on cloud 9 about now!!  And yes - Skyla Rose is a gorgeous name!!

I think Ive decided Im going to crack open my Glenfcroft kit. I have been hemming and hawing for weeks about wanting to build again. I was going to build my little van Buren but, I dont know. I just wasnt feeling it. Im still working on my Paris shop but it’s getting to the end now.

Then, I happened to see a photo of a finished Glencroft and realized I had forgotten how pretty it is. I also love the layout. It’s like it’s everything I wanted my Orchid to be but the size wasnt right. It also looks so European which will fit in well in my Danish house. The added bonus is I already have the supplies I need to make it look really nice so it saves me money there.

The Van Buren will get made eventually! I  may make it into a cute holiday house to out out at Christmas. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shareb said:

Thanks all!  Yup - apparently she was stuck so it was a really good thing that they got her out!  Her mum and dad are floating on cloud 9 about now!!  And yes - Skyla Rose is a gorgeous name!!

Congrats nothing better in life than a baby. What a lucky family to have a new much loved baby. I’m so glad to hear they are a happy healthy family. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The Van Buren could become a cute Santa house & workshop.  You might even consider a half-timber exterior treatment.

Thats exactly what I was thinking! Maybe have the two rooms downstairs be work shops, one room upstairs be Santa’s office and the other be a design room. Not sure what to put in the attic. Maybe old toys from years past?