What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Interview today went really well! There was a snafu with the time difference so I briefly thought they had blown me off but all is well. I think I presented as a strong candidate who knows their stuff. They seemed to really like me. The deputy ED even said she loved my “personal” section and said it was the best she had maybe evr seen. I may or may not have mentioned I do miniatures :D

Cafe is allllllllmost done! I’ll try to upload some pics again soon. For some reason the website wouldnt let me do it using my phone over this weekend. Im currently waiting for my nightmare of a chandelier to dry. Not sure how well it will turn out.

FEI TV has just put up the schedule of shows for the next couple of weeks. The times don't look too bad this time. Most start at around 11am and one is at 7pm. There's one starting at 2am in the morning, but that follows one that starts at 1am, so all is good. I'm usually up at that time of the morning anyway. There's just two that are gonna kill me, both starting around 5am. But I'm on cloud 9 - 10 shows to watch in 10 days!

Miranda, so many top riders are from the Netherlands. I bet if you went to a jumping competition, they'd televise it and if you do and I see you, I'll wave!

So, I figured I share an update..... I just put another load of clutter to the curb and there is still more to come. De-cluttering is freeing in some way....

Here is a pic of the repurposed book shelves and one of my tool boxes organized. that bottom drawer has a bit of a Hannibal Lector-ish feel to it........ LOL

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018, 6:40:59, sparklepuppies said:

On 9/21/2018, 9:25:06, L Swearengin said:

Ignore the blank quote references. Have no idea why they're here and can't get rid of them.

Chris, it looks like you've re-purposed the drawers from the plastic drawer units. I was thinking along the same lines. I have heavy stuff in some of the drawers in the closet storage that are hard to open and close. I'm thinking to get some wire shelving and use the drawers as storage bins on the shelves.

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

I'm thinking to get some wire shelving and use the drawers as storage bins on the shelves.

I bought 2 large wire shelves on A - both for $139 - that was a great deal. They are 84" high, 48" wide and 18" deep and they come with casters. I have all my mini stuff in them and have space left over. 

I am also slowing down with the de-cluttering I'm about out of stuff that needs to go. I bought ten clear bins from Big Lots for the furniture and thought: 'Wow, it all fits' until I found another box..... and another.....  I also have entirely too many repair jobs. Whenever one pops up on ebay I just can't say no... poor things. Make that another 2 bins full - without the one that was delivered today. 

The good news: I can get a Harbor Freight service cart to built houses on. Like a kitchen cart - My office is sooooo big now. The table I used to work on is almost empty, so I can do the small stuff and leave it out. 

Guess y'all can tell I am very pleased with myself. I think two more days and my house is empty enough for the deep clean it needs. I've been slacking off and it can't wait any longer. Thankfully I am on leave for 11 days...... I will post an update with pictures when all is done.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Soapz said:

I bought 2 large wire shelves on A - both for $139 - that was a great deal. They are 84" high, 48" wide and 18" deep and they come with casters. I have all my mini stuff in them and have space left over. 

I need one wire shelf unit 48" wide but only 48" high to fit under the brackets of a single shelf already in the closet. An option would be to remove the current shelf. I could move it to another wall in the closet or to the garage work space. :hmm: 

Kathie, check HomeDepot - I think they have a sale going on with wire shelves - when I went to get paint I saw shelves in the front of the store where they put up the specials.

52 minutes ago, Soapz said:

Kathie, check HomeDepot - I think they have a sale going on with wire shelves - when I went to get paint I saw shelves in the front of the store where they put up the specials.

Thanks ... will check today

52 minutes ago, Soapz said:

Thanks ... will check today

So, I just got home this afternoon after spending the past four days on my back.  I caught a stomach bug on Friday morning that was wrecking my day.  My DW found me unconscious on the floor and insisted I should do my passing out in the ER.  I was perfectly fine taking unplanned naps at home, but she usually wins these arguments.  I don't remember much after that until Saturday night.  I do remember almost getting rolled into the ICU.  Luckily I was downgraded before I got to a room.  ICU nurses can make any experience traumatic.  I spent the past three days on my wife's old unit, so they already knew me.  Embarrassing, but they went above and beyond to make my time there comfortable.   It turns out I caught a Norovirus without the fun of the buffets, duty-free shopping and ports of call in the Caribbean.  I feel like I was robbed. :) 

While I was there, I tried to apply for several jobs with my cellphone, but discovered I couldn't access my resume to send to any of them- or so I thought.  It turns out that one of the sites already has it, and submitted it when I clicked on "apply".  I received an email from the intellectual property firm I was trying to apply to this afternoon.  I called them and I will be hearing back soon to schedule an interview.  I have at least three other leads, so I'm reaching out, hoping to find the best fit.

• Like 3

Today my friend NJ and I are going to stage the Beacon Hill and audition the wallpaper and fabric I have on hand. We are going to Miniature Designs tomorrow, where I want to buy the remaining necessary wallpaper. The shop is too far away to run over on a whim. I'm at a point where I want to begin electrification, but some walls need to be wallpapered before the lights go in. Others will be wallpapered after the wiring is done. If I don't have the paper on hand, I'll be hitting dead ends.

8 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Yay, have fun! And tell NJ I said Hi! :)

We will! And I did! 

We spent a good bit of the afternoon futzing around with the wallpaper and fabric on hand and decided it would do for just 3 of the 9 rooms. We stopped in a Sherwin-Williams paint store and played with paint chips until we agreed on the basic color scheme for each of the other rooms. I brought those chips home and stapled each one to a sheet of typing paper to use as I shop for wallpaper tomorrow. We also staged the house with furniture and lights and worked out some furniture arrangements. On the page for each room I wrote what I need to buy. 

As a result of our collaboration, I have some construction work to do. The porch window in the dining room (the kitchen in the kit plan) will be filled in. Also need to fill in one of the doors into the living room and the bedroom closet door. This is the door that I added when I straightened out the dogleg in the foyer/living room wall. Instead of the closet, there will be an armoire, which is actually more fitting to the period and place (1880s New Orleans). I don't think closing up the porch window to the right of the front door will be a problem as to the overall appearance of the façade, especially if I hang a swing there or arrange a small table and chairs with a floral arrangement on the table to mask the blank space.

I have mapped out a route that will take us from my house to Miniature Designs without touching an interstate.  NJ will navigate. :) It may take us a bit longer than if we used the interstate highways, but I'm still not comfortable using them, even on a Saturday, when there shouldn't be horrendous traffic. In my opinion, Atlanta drivers are worse than New Orleans drivers, and that's saying a lot! 

• Like 1

Yeah, Saturday driving is no fun. I'd much rather drive in the middle of a weekday, or even a Sunday. Especially on I-285. And right now they are doing road work and closing lanes. Last Saturday they had 2 lanes closed, and I chickened out driving to the Atlanta Miniature Show. Got about 20 minutes from home (out of about an hour) and turned around just before 285. I just couldn't do it. I was a little sad to have missed it, but honestly I just wasn't in the mood even before I left the house.

@KathieB just a suggestion...on my current house I wanted additional interior  wallspace but the exterior has milled clapboard so  I’ve closed off two interior windows with a filler piece however I’m keeping the two exterior windows by dressing them up with closed window shades.  

6 hours ago, Sable said:

@KathieB just a suggestion...on my current house I wanted additional interior  wall space but the exterior has milled clapboard so  I’ve closed off two interior windows with a filler piece however I’m keeping the two exterior windows by dressing them up with closed window shades.  

Good idea. Will keep that in mind. :) 

@sparklepuppies Sorry you missed the show. I wondered why you hadn't posted about it.

Thanks Kathie. I was pretty sad. I like the September show put on by the AMS more than the Bishop Show in March. Oh well. I still have plenty of things that I'm not working on at the moment.

BTW, I saw last night, that the March show is later in the month, the 22nd I think, instead of the first weekend (it used to be end of February). At least now it won't interfere with the KSU Formula Motorsports South Invitational Race that Brennen will be a part of this year! Unless they change the weekend for that as well...

NJ has gone home, and I'm playing catch-up in several arenas. Amazing how many responsibilities I've accumulated. I once thought retirement would be a time for tea and relaxation. Ha. :D 

The trip to Miniature Designs went very well. My paint chip inspiration sheets/shopping list were very helpful. Found wallpaper for every room and filled in some furniture needs as well as picking up some oh-my-gotta-have items. I found a great desk chair for the doctor's office to replace the one that wasn't quite what I wanted but was exactly what NJ was looking for; I gave it to her. :) 

The living room wallpaper may be a problem challenge. There were only two sheets for what is a very deep room. The two sheets will cover the side walls and wrap around the corners of the back wall about an inch. That means no messing up with the application and some creative thinking for the back wall finishing. Right now I'm vacillating between wide drapes for the bay opening or wider, more elaborate wood trim than the kit calls for.  I have some time to think about this, as the dining room and center hall on the ground floor need to be electrified and papered before I can do the living room.