What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Well now I have to sleep with all the lights in the house on. Thanks Jeannine! That story gave me chills!

It's been busy here. Maya had a Halloween party on Saturday night and had 5 girls over. They all seemed to speak English well and had a good time. It was quite funny watching them all watch scary movies through their fingers. I made "spider" pizzas which were just pepperoni pizzas that had the pepperoni cut to look like spiders. As I was making them, I had to remind myself that these were for 15 year old girls and not 8 year olds :D It was fun though. 

In good news, Maya's Danish teacher thinks she can be put in regular Danish school full time by the new year. That means she will have made it out of reception class in record time! I'm really proud of her. She's doing well with her Danish and seems to finally be settling in. Getting away from her reception class teacher has definitely been a good motivator. I'm starting to pick up more and more. I may have to use all the skills I have soon as we can't seem to get the heat on the first and second floors to work which will require a repair man. Oy, explaining that will take some doing! Fingers crossed they speak English or Google Translate.

We FINALLY have Bacon's surgery scheduled. It's a miracle! He's going in on November 14th. He's been a bit cranky today but I think that's just because we've had some trouble getting his medication. Turns out, the pharmacies here don't like dispensing human medication to dogs. Well, too bad! He needs it! Thankfully, my vet was able to get it for me. So, the saga continues.

• Like 2

My ghost story is an experience while visiting Gettysburg with my family a number of years ago.

It was during the years that the ghost hunter TV shows were very popular, and my kids were itching for a chance to do some of their own ghost-hunting. We spent the day touring the battlefields and that night joined a Ghost Tour group.  We met in an expanse of lawn near Seminary Ridge where our guide began by telling us to take note as we walk up the hill because many people had experienced "cold spots".  First, let me state that I generally take these types of tours as merely entertainment-while I may believe in ghosts, I certainly do not expect to encounter one on such an occasion. Second, let me tell you that is was HOT and sultry that day - like in the upper 90's with a heat index of over 100*. The battle re-enactment scheduled for that afternoon had been cancelled due to the heat.  Our tour began when it was just getting dark, so maybe 9pm-ish, but it was still quite hot and sticky.  The kids were excited and chatting as we moved up the hill with the group....and then hubby and I suddenly grew quiet. I can only describe it as walking through a cloud of air conditioning- a "bubble" of chilled air about arms-width across. Had I just imagined it? Beside me, my hubby asked "Did you just feel that?"  I admitted that I had.  So it was not just my imagination, but I cannot explain it.

The next night my kids did some investigating in the Farnsworth House where we were staying for the weekend. Our room, in particular, was infamous for its ghostly visitor stories so they put up a digital recorder to catch any disembodied voices during the night. Great. Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, however you may look at it) my hubby placed his little fan directly beside the recorder: all you can hear for 8 hours is the hum of the fan.  LOL However, I experienced something not caught on the recorder.  At some point in the pre-dawn hours I got up for a trip to the bathroom.  Shortly after my return to bed I suddenly felt like someone was "tucking me in"!  It felt like someone's hand tucking in the covers of my right side starting at my feet and continuing up to mid-thigh!  

The experience made for a great entry in their guest book!  :) 

Happy Halloween!

• Like 5

On 10/29/2018, 5:10:42, rodentraiser said:

Hey, CJ, there's a lady in Belfair that says she knows you. Her name is Lynn and she has some beautiful, beautiful, beautiful dollhouses. I bought a Heritage from her thinking to give it away when it was finished, but I like it so much I think I'll keep it for myself. She was very nice and I hope she joins us here on the forum.

Yes, I know Lynn. Glad you got to meet her - she's a very nice lady.

I guess this would qualify as a ghost story, as there is no explanation for it.

When DH was in high school, he and a buddy went for a walk along a 2-lane road sometime after dark. It was hilly country and after a bit they heard footsteps coming up behind them, quite a ways back. They turned around, and could just make out someone in the darkness, but didn't know who it was. Figuring it was a younger brother, or a school friend, they decided to play a trick on him. They stepped off into the bushes beside the road on the uphill side - on the other side was a drop off, with no guardrail, into a deep ravine with lots of loose gravel.

They listened and waited as his footsteps drew closer, trying not to laugh as they contemplated the results of their prank.  Just before they were about to jump out and scare the kid out of a year's growth, the figure stopped, just a few feet in front of them. It was not a kid - it was a man they had never seen, wearing dark clothes and a hat. He stood in the middle of the road and lit a cigarette, illuminating his face. The flare of the match momentarily impaired their vision, and when the flaring light was gone - so was the man!

He was wearing shoes that had made enough noise for them to hear several yards away, and there was just enough dim moonlight for them to see him approaching, and then stop - but he was nowhere to be found! No sound of footsteps - he had obviously not come to their side of the road - he could not have silently gone over the edge of the ravine on the other side of the road - he was just gone. They looked everywhere he could possibly be - nothing!

When they could make their legs work again, the boys dashed home. Through the years we have all pondered what that could have been - never had an answer. 

• Like 4

Not sure if I've posted this story before either. This happened personally to me and was what got me interested in the paranormal.

When I was about 14, I was visiting my grandmother for the summer. One of her friends was taking her teen daughter and visiting relatives in Poland and Russia, so I was to housesit while they were gone. Remember, this was in the old days when it was "safer" and the house was right around the corner from my grandmother's apartment.

Anyway, this was a narrow old house with two bedrooms on the first floor and a finished attic where the older boys (now in college) had slept after the daughter was born. To get to the attic, you had to open a door on the first floor to go up the stairs. On either side of the attic were kneewalls with small square doors in them to access the storage behind them. When you came up the stairs, you were facing the back of the attic, so you had to go around and pass between the stairwell and the kneewalls to get to the boys' room in front.

The mother had told me I could go up there and read the books that were still there, so after a couple of days that's what I did. Now the first time I went up there, one of the doors in the kneewall was hanging open and I had to pass it as I went to the front. I thought I should close it and I thought I did on my way downstairs with some books, but I'm not sure I did.

A couple days later I finished the books and went upstairs to get a few more. The kneewall door was hanging open again and I was annoyed that I'd forgotten to close it. So I got a few more books and on my way downstairs, this time I know I closed that door and also dropped the hook into the eye that latched it.

Couple days later I go back upstairs to bring back the books and look at others. As I came around the stairwell, you guessed it, the door in the kneewall was open again. I threw those books across the room onto the beds and then tore back down the steps and slammed the door downstairs. I felt pretty safe at that point and a couple days later the mother and daughter came home.

I was helping them unpack and I just casually asked the mother if the house was haunted, sort of making it a joke. The mother never asked why I asked, but she told me this: "When my husband was alive before (daughter) was born, the boys slept downstairs and the attic wasn't finished at the time. At night I'd hear footsteps walking across the attic and I'd wake my husband up to go see what it was because I was afraid someone had broken in. He would say it was just squirrels, but I know I heard footsteps."

I'll let you guys decide if that house was haunted or not.

• Like 4

On 10/29/2018, 9:56:48, thriftymini said:

Kelly, I bought my Beacon Hill and what I call the Big Porch Mystery House from Lynn.  I notice from the google map you posted that your new land lot is not too far from her place.

Christine, was that a partially finished Beacon Hill that you got from Lynn? Actually, mostly finished but still lacking a lot of work?

I swapped her a Beacon Hill for a kit of another house I wanted. Just wondered if it was the same one. She wasn't sure if she wanted to finish the house our not. I did not. 

CJ, Yes, the Beacon Hill I bought from Lynn was partially assembled.  So glad that all the trim pieces were with it.  Picture of it (as bought and as rehabbed) are in my Member's Gallery album.  This Beacon Hill is one of our favorites and definitely a keeper for us.

You guys, I got the partitions into my Norway house to dry and I am sooooooooo excited. It’s pretty covered up in tape right now to hold it together so I’ll take photos tomorrow but it looks so awesome! The colors all work so well together. I may have shed a few happy tears :D

• Like 3

Cynthia, after seeing your post, decided to do a google search for Pret A Manger in the USA.  So far looks like only east coast.  Now I am dreaming about a trip to New York City -- there are a lot of Prets in New York City and two are located within 10 minute walk of Gulliver's Gate which I really want to see some day.  Also looks like a couple in Philadelphia and there is an upcoming miniature show there.  Perhaps someday for me.  

The thing I most appreciated about traveling about and eating (at Pret and other places) in London is that I could read the signage and understand the language which is very important when concerned about avoiding a food allergen.  Another thing I appreciated, though it made me realize how old I look, is that upon entering a crowded compartment of the tube or underground a younger person would immediately offer me a seat even without waiting to see if I would need it.       

7 hours ago, thriftymini said:

CJ, Yes, the Beacon Hill I bought from Lynn was partially assembled.  So glad that all the trim pieces were with it.  Picture of it (as bought and as rehabbed) are in my Member's Gallery album.  This Beacon Hill is one of our favorites and definitely a keeper for us.

Here's a link to my gallery, with three pictures of  the Beacon Hill I had. I got it from a lady in Seattle, who advertised it as a Garfield. When I got there, I saw it was not a Garfield, but I took it anyway. Later sold it (traded) to Lynn. Hope this is the same one - it was looking for a good home! :)

Edited to insert the link!  Beacon Hill

I'm a bit late but thought I'd contribute a ghost story having enjoyed all of yours so much!  Now, before I go on - I have always been a very spiritual person, being able to see auras from childhood and having many unusual things happen to me.  I went through a stage of giving people readings a few years ago - always online.  Most times I was also able to pass on information from passed loved ones.  I have a couple of very close FB American friends now because I was able to help them through tough times.  I don't normally offer this info in public as I know everyone has their own opinions and beliefs - and the way I think - to each their own!  I think we should all respect everyone for their own choices.

When the kids were much younger, we belonged to a National association for gifted children.  I was the forum manager for ten years as well as being camp coordinator and National Rep over the years.  Once a year our city's branch had a parents retreat out at a remote West coast (ie wild, untamed, black sand surf beach) beach.  There was no electricity out there and we stayed in a lodge which had been built over 100 years ago - hugely old for New Zealand!!  When the lodge was built the beach had been a place where ships came in to load the lumber that had been cut down in the local area.  Quite a few people lived out there - they even put down a wooden floor in a very large cave where they used to hold dances etc.  The Maori always called this place 'Tapu' which means 'sacred'.  Over the years there were many ships wrecked at this beach and many people killed.  I believe this is also what happened with the Maori - it became tapu because of lives lost in the area.  I had stayed at this place several times - but usually managed to get a little room outside rather than having to stay in the main house.  But this year I was given a room at the very front of the house - right next to the front door.  This door was always kept locked as the rest of the lodge was out the back and therefore accessed from the back.  I was really concerned as I had seen a local 'ghost hunt' show at this lodge and you could feel that there was something still and listening despite all the human noise around.  However I figured I'd be protected.  Because the generator is cut off at a certain time each night, I went through earlier in the evening to set up my bed and room.  I was the only one in the house, it wasn't windy, it was dark.  In my room as I was moving about the curtain at the window (which was kept open slightly at the bottom and locked at that position) suddenly blew upwards until it was horizontal.  I said quite sharply 'Go away, you will not scare me tonight'.  With that, the curtain dropped.....but....the front door in the hall started creaking open!  I remind you - there was no wind....and the door was always locked from the inside.  I went into the hall and leaned with all my weight on the door to shut it and again, I locked it.  I got out of there pretty quickly but of course did have to go back and sleep in that room.  At one point I woke to having my cheek stroked - but actally that's happened on and off throughout my life so I was okay with it.  Nothing more happened but I made sure never to sleep in that room again!  You can see Whatipu (what a poo) beach  and the lodge here if you're interested....  http://www.whatipulodge.co.nz/

• Like 4

CJ, I just looked at your Beacon Hill album.  Yes, my Beacon Hill Rehab is the one you had.  Pictures of it before rehab show the same wallpaper (kitchen wallpaper easiest to identify) and the same hanging light fixture in front of the 1st floor stairs.  So glad you kept all those trim pieces with the shell.

• Like 1

Christine, I'm so glad you got it!  I just couldn't get enthused about it - it didn't speak to me.  Happy to know it has found a loving home. You have done a beautiful job of finishing it. :) 

Well, I sold Lynn the Willowcrest that Jenn sold to me. I only asked what I paid for it. I guess I knew I was never going to put it together. Meantime I'm thinking maybe all of us in the Northwest here should get together with all the kits we own and have a trade day and shift them around some more. LMAO

I got home from the ER a couple hours ago. I guess I had what they call a TIA - a transient ischemic attack. I guess it's technically a mini-stroke. So I had an EKG, an MRI, and an MRA. I was found to be in perfect healthy working order (except I still need to lose a million pounds), but I hadn't been taking my daily aspirin lately because I ran out. Needless to say, a bottle will be in my possession ASAP tomorrow as soon as I get up and go shopping.

For anyone wondering what the symptoms were, I had double vision come on very rapidly. I was actually reading this thread and all of a sudden I couldn't read a word. I thought I knocked my glasses sideways and then realized it was my eyes. It only lasted a couple minutes, but it was enough time for me close one eye and then the other to see if it was my eyes or my head. And of course, as soon as I called 911, it cleared up. I thought about it for a while and then decided to drive to the ER. Yeah, some people never learn, do they?

And wouldn't you know, the passenger side window was wide open the whole time I was in the hospital and it started to rain. Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

• Like 1

Thank you, guys. It does make me wonder, though...if I hadn't been awake and reading, I never would have known it happened. So that makes me wonder how many of these things people have at night when they sleep. Ah, well, I told my mom it was like when people are driving down the road and a tree falls on their car and kills them. When it's your time, it's your time,  and there's not much a body can do about it. So I'm not going to make myself crazy worrying about it.

I was watching Live PD this evening on YouTube and the cops stopped some guy who said he ordered some fake money by mistake. He said he'd ordered his wife's dollhouse things and that's when he "accidentally" ordered the money. With miniatures costing as much as they do, I'm wondering why I didn't think to order any funny money when I ordered my dollhouse things. :ohyeah:

Hey Susie, what Arrow Dream house are you looking for?

• Like 1

Kelly, my longest-time friend was driving her car when her hand slipped off the steering wheel and she had to drive herself on home one-handed; went to the doctor and learned she had a full-blown stroke and was in rehab for six months.  She recovered just in time; her hubs has developed seizure disorder and cannot drive any longer.  In my own case, we were at the doctor's office for semi-annual physicals to get prescriptions renewed before leaving to spend Christmas with our son in VA and everyone went into a panic because I was found to be in total heart block and my heart was about to stop; in fact, by the time I was on the gurney outside the OR  my pulse had dropped to 15...  When I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (what the blood-thinner ads on tv call A-fib) this past May my device showed a 5+ hour episode that occurred whilst I was asleep.

Kelly I am glad to hear that you're A-OK after such a scary incident, and I love your attitude! We're at the mercy of many things that we have no control over, so live and enjoy life as worry free as you can!

Holly - I am glad you're okay too and have a "In the nick of time" story to share with us! 

Jeannine I do hope you find the help you need to get back to full time mini joy again as soon as possible! Living with chronic pain and on the awful meds really steals your life.

Jodi, thank you. I am researching all over now to see  what is the best option. I could fly to the Uk and have it done there in a private hospital.  I am British and so I am entitled to free healthcare when there but I would think their waiting lists are as bad as the Canadian ones, but if O go private I could get in done after just a few days.. I am just not sure what to do, generally ,my own mantra has been.." if in doubt..do nowt ( nothing ) but I am trying to overlook it this time. I was planning atrip to the UK but not with a surfery in it. Oh my trip, I get weepy when I think of it.

I wanted to fly to the West of Ireland, visit some of the spinning there, then fly from there to the Shetand Isles, this is where my much loved fine wool comes from and there are museums ect I would love to see, next stop would be to fly to Iceland, here I want to get deep into the fine wool and the patterns there, then fly over to Estonia again to see the wonderful fine shawls there.. I guess after I have soaked myself in the history of something I love I would stop  in Holland and visit my son  and finally over to the Uk to  see my sister and two nieces. It is a long trip. John and I were always going to do it but we never did. I live in hopes though big hopes. right now I can barely walk to my car!! I guess things always seem different when one is alone and have no help.

Good Heavens, Holly! That would have finished me. And Jeannine, I am pulling for you! But I'm not doing so hot myself right now. I had another incident this morning at about 4am and this time I called an ambulance. A different doctor saw me in the ER and he doesn't think it's a TIA - says it would last longer and I'd have more symptoms. I guess that's the good news. The bad news is no one seems to know what's going on or when it will happen again.

But of course, there's always humor in everything. As you guys know, I'm watching the show jumping competitions. So I'm at the ER until 1am on Friday morning, I can't sleep till 8am, then I wake up at 11 and watch the show, grab about 4 more hours and then I couldn't sleep again so was on the computer until 4 this morning when Double Vision Part 2 started playing. I didn't get home from the ER until 9am this morning.

So I'm trying to give the doctor a rundown of my sleeping habits (doesn't help that I'm a natural night owl anyway) and he says, "Well, you need to try to regulate your sleeping." I say, "I would, but it's a little difficult doing that when I'm in the ER all night every night, ya think?" He cracked up.

But I got about 7 hours of sleep today, saw another show, did some grocery shopping, forgot the aspirin (the only reason I went shopping), went back out and got aspirin, and now I'm thinking of trying to catch a few more hours because I'm watching another show tomorrow morning at 5am. You guys didn't think I'd let little things like double vision stand in the way of my horse shows, did you?

But I have an appointment to see my regular doctor on Monday. I suppose that means I have to shave my legs again. I thought the rule was in winter I didn't have to do that until I could make braids.

And for crying out loud, how many stickies do they have to put on a person for an EKG? I was pulling them off before I left this morning, I found three more when I got home, and I just found another one about an hour ago. And of course, they used the other arm for a pincushion this morning and now I look like a junkie again with needle marks all over the insides of both arms. I got funny looks when buying the aspirin tonight.:shy: