What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I wish you 7 years of good luck, just in case.

47 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Well today I'm going to try and drill a hole in a mirror. I have all the right tools and have watched 3 UTube videos . Hopefully I get the courage today to attempt it. 

• Like 1

I’m packing up my Christie’s Cottage and all of my tools with the intention of finally finishing it after three years of it pretty much sitting in the craft room. We going on our annual visit to our house in Vero Beach, Fl. I hope to be there for the entire month of January. Also, for Christmas I received the entire collection of Elena Ferrante’s “Neapolitan Novels” aka “My Brilliant Friend”. I fell in love with the HBO tv series so I am devoting my January to reading on the beach on nice days and finishing that house on cold rainy days. 

• Like 1

My world is shook! How did I not know about the miniature Titania’s Palace at Egeskov Castle? That’s only an hour and a half from me! I foubd this link in the OLD dollhouse Youtube Videos thread. It’s all in danish but I could make some of it out. Who wants to come visit me and go on a field trip?!

https://youtu.be/ei6cVDU8VKE

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Who wants to come visit me and go on a field trip?!

Me, me, me! :D 

The 2nd video has some very nice closeups as well as pleasant harp music that fits the scenes.

Another bat lover here, Miranda.  Thanks for the link.  Bats are one of our greatest barriers to eastern equine encephalitis and other mosquito-borne illnesses, just as snakes are a great control of rodent-borne diseases.  I am also rather partial to spiders, but I'm weird anyway.

• Like 1

One of my favorite things about living here in Denmark is the abundant bat population. They are sadly all hibernating now but I just love hearing their little squeaks all summer! the best time of year is early fall when it starts getting dark at a reasonable hour so you can see them. 

They’ve had such a terrible season this year in Australia with the record heat. Whole colonies have collapsed. One rescue took in 500 orphans in one day. Bless their hearts for caring for them.

At least the rest of the world doesn't seen to have the white nose syndrome/ fungus that's killing off whole colonies of bats in the US & Canada; and we had several cases of EEE this past year.

I love Amanda Lollar! She runs Bat World Sanctuary out of Mineral Wells, TX. I always ask for donations to them in lieu of gifts for my birthday and Christmas. 

Busy day ahead. Im hoping to get to Garden Lodge. Maya may kill me if I dont work on it.

Well we've had a week of being temporary 'empty nesters'.  I've missed the kids - my daughter flies home this afternoon so soon I'll be off to pick her up from the airport.  My son has been away for 2 weeks now.  He's been to Rome, Switzerland and they're now in Luxembourg.  He's tried skiing, sledding and making snow angels!  There wasn't enough snow in the alps though for igloo building unfortunately.  They loved the sledding the most!  I miss him - have only spoken face to face with him twice, but he texts most days and the group as a whole continally put new photos and videos up in the FB group page.  So we've seen him sledding and skiing - oh and dancing traditional Swiss dances on New Years Eve!!  :D

I was really looking forward to today with my daughter coming home, but it's turned out not such a good day.  Our 12 yr old Maine Coon cat Lizzie, was struggling to breath and her legs went out from under her.  So amid tears I had to rush her to the vets.  They have her on oxygen and are attempting to take x-rays.  Being such a big cat they think it's probably heart disease and they've told us that she is on 'a knifes edge'.  12 is average for Maine Coons as they are such big cats - but it's come on so suddenly.....We have been watching her breathing - but it's been hot and she hasn't been doing much.  Plus of course she's still been happy - bright eyes, purring - even playing (whilst lying on her back).  They'll be draining the fluid from her lungs but chances are that if she does come home today it won't be for long.  It's pretty heartbreaking having had her as part of our family for so long.  Jack just happened to phone via FB for a face to face chat once I got home from the vet - he asked why I was crying but we glazed over it.  We will tell him - but not until we know ourselves what's happening.  It'll be good to have my girl home for support.  So we're pretty sad atm - just waiting on the vets to call.  :( 

They've just phoned.  They've drained her lungs - took a fair bit of fluid out. They're pretty sure it's heart but have sent off fluid to be double checked by a lab.  No sign of bacteria or tumors.  Already cost $1000 - but it is what it is.  Next step will be she either comes home for the weekend or goes to another 24hr place for the weekend.  Then perhaps an ultrasound of the heart.  If it's okay enough, it'll then be heart meds - but that will only be a temporary thing.  It would be nice if Jack could be home to say good-bye but we won't let her suffer so really it's just a waiting game now.  <sigh>

At least she isn't afflicted with seizures.  One of our friends had to let their Maine Coon cat go to the Rainbow Bridge because he had terribly severe seizures. that meds didn't control.

• Like 1

Thank you all - and yes Carrie, I hadn't thought about that and at least Jack will miss out on seeing Lizzie suffer.  We've had more info from the vets this morning.  She had a pretty good night at home - she was very relaxed so was breathing much better.  The news however isn't as positive.  It's either FIP or a tumor in the lung.  They're checking the blood for markers of FIP today and we should have that result this afternoon.  If it's not that then she'll have to have a scan on Monday to check her lungs.  IF there is only one tumor and it hasn't spread then potentially they could operate.  But realistically, there isn't much to help in either diagnosis.  So the most important thing is that she doesn't suffer - at the moment she is happy snoozing on the bed.  She was given more meds this morning to try to get rid of the fluid in the lungs.  The main leader with Jack wants to set up a time for us to tell him - a time and place where he has the space to grieve.  It's not likely to be for another two days - but hopefully in time so that he can say good-bye.  My daughter is home now thank goodness.  I'm finding it quite hard to settle to anything....about to order a doll kit to be Master Raymond!  Thank you all so much for listening and being there!

Well I'm very sad to say that Lizzie took a turn for the worst and we had to make that horrible decision this evening.  Our son called just in time to say good-bye to Lizzie from Luxembourg.  We're all devastated - all happened so quickly.  12 years wasn't long enough, but she was ready to go and will no doubt be reunited with her dear friend Floyd.  large.IMG_20171218_095025_1-Optimized.jp

Rebecca, It is downright painful to lose a fury family member. Every time we adopt a pet we sign up for heartache. But if we didn't, what joy we would have missed. I am so sorry about your loss of Lizzie.

• Like 1