What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thank you everyone. We went to the newly constructed Temple of Time yesterday. I wish I could post photos of the interior but after taking amazing photos I read the sign about photos of the interior are prohibited so I must honor that. When you look up into the temple the scrollwork against the blue sky looked like stained glass. I’d never seen anything so beautiful. I actually got quite emotional and had to step out for a few minutes. David Best who makes amazing structures for Burning Man was awarded a grant to make this structure to help our community heal. It will be burnt down in May. Here is a photo of the exterior. Check out the amazing scrolling done with plywood.

2C42768A-D509-4F2A-B7A6-1D92D816EC2F.jpeg

• Like 3

It's beautiful Sable.  May this symbol bring continued healing to your community.

So....hope you all had a great Valentine's Day. (she says with a twang of jealousy)  I spent mine in the emergency room with my aging mother.  Same story. Different day. They actually kept her overnight this time: pumping her with Lasik to help remove the excess fluid build up in her lungs, and they are checking that she may have a bladder infection (she is constantly dehydrated because she won't drink much) and they are making sure the pacemaker is doing alright and will do any tweaking necessary.  DD and I spent 6 hours in there with her- left about 10:30pm and she finally got into a room after 11pm.  It was a crazy house in that ER!

*sigh* yeah....this is exhausting.  With all of her doctor appointments, procedures, and ER visits - I swear there is something we have been doing with her every week since Christmas!!  :closedeyes: 

• Like 1

Thanks Holly!  After getting 2 other puppies who didn't make it Lily is a gift.   Unfortunately the breeder's conditions where I got Lily was just deplorable.  I have never seen such filth in a house!   I was so shocked we almost didn't take her.   I brought her to my vet right away and he put her on a antibiotic and she is doing fine.  I may bring up some kind of investigation about this woman it breaks my heart.   Lily was only one of one puppy born and so far she is strong and healthy.  I keep busy with her all day so no time for dollhouses right now but she is worth it.  I love love Lily!  :cloud9:
Thanks Rebecca!   I have never raised a puppy this young before but its a lot more challenging than a kitten.  You put a kitten in his litter and done!  They get it right away.   Puppies not so much.  lol   Lily is VERY smart but a little dynamo never stops moving and so distracted when I let her out of her little pen she forgets to go to the potty pad.  She's only a baby so I keep working on it!   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbnmini said:

It's beautiful Sable.  May this symbol bring continued healing to your community.

So....hope you all had a great Valentine's Day. (she says with a twang of jealousy)  I spent mine in the emergency room with my aging mother.  Same story. Different day. They actually kept her overnight this time: pumping her with Lasik to help remove the excess fluid build up in her lungs, and they are checking that she may have a bladder infection (she is constantly dehydrated because she won't drink much) and they are making sure the pacemaker is doing alright and will do any tweaking necessary.  DD and I spent 6 hours in there with her- left about 10:30pm and she finally got into a room after 11pm.  It was a crazy house in that ER!

*sigh* yeah....this is exhausting.  With all of her doctor appointments, procedures, and ER visits - I swear there is something we have been doing with her every week since Christmas!!  :closedeyes: 

it IS draining and exhausting physically and emotionally as I have been where you are.  My mom and I didn't have the best relationship and she spent the last 4 years of her life in my home....often it was hell...but that last year, something changed and I saw her for how frail she'd become and how angry she was that it had happened.  the last 4 months we had the best relationship ever and she passed peacefully in our home.  I wouldn't trade all those ER visits now for anything...they are giants from another era and those last few months were everything even though it was so draining to be back and forth in the ER and hospital and medicines and such...cherish the madness as it will come to end.  I wish you naps and peace at every moment you can get them.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019, 11:54:03, rodentraiser said:

I can say at least two things about this: 1) I learned I can back my car down from just about anywhere now (never thought I could do that on that road). 2) I'll be buying chains and cables in the near future.

Have you ever put chains on?  We owned a cabin at South Lake Tahoe for many years when we use to ski and found it much easier to leave snow tires on one of our vehicles for the winter. Of course, this was back in the days before everyone (or most everyone) drove an SUV with all wheel drive. 

Roxy, report that breeder to the ASPCA.  Meanwhile, put Lily on her puppy pad whenever she starts to squat and if anything makes it to the pad, give her a puppy treat immediately after, along with effusive praise; the puppy book I used with our first beagle suggested this, and he paper-trained within a few days; the book suggested a wee piece of cheese, and Riley LOVED sharp cheddar!

• Like 1

Thanks Holly.   She is doing pretty well now with the potty.  She makes mistakes but we don't make any big deal about it.  Clean it up and move on.   The bad thing is,  the reward treats she gets she is now not wanting her regular food.  Tricky little one.

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

Tricky little one.

I've long observed dogs training their owners while the owners think they are training the dogs. Being one of the cutest pups on the planet doesn't hurt, either. :D 

• Like 2

When my DM died, no one would take her poodle and our boys wanted "a dog" (a whole lot more than their momma & daddy, I might add).  Mother had brought him with her on a visit that previous summer, so I knew she only fed him either ground sirloin cooked in butter or chicken livers poached in butter, so it took him three days to learn to eat Purina dog chow.

• Like 1

Roxie, my boys think a treat is a small kibble of their regular food. A friend of mine has the same issue with her dogs; they do't want their food because they know they can just give her the puppy eyes and they'll get treats or whatever she's eating instead:giggle:

• Like 1

Well, Mother is back in her apartment.  We had talked extensively with the hospital nurse about what was going on with her and then she said she will make sure the doc gives her one of those memory tests before she leaves the hospital. Unfortunately I missed the phone call from the doc yesterday morning (but will try to call today), but when we arrived to bring her home we discovered that the doc and the social worker had set her up for in-home nursing care!! :cucumber:  After her incidents the last two weeks we had been looking into this and were dreading that conversation with her....but since the doc made the call we are "off the hook" as it were.  The nurse also suggested we look into memory care for the future....because I guess it looks like she has been officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  It sounds terrible, but I just keeping hoping that since her heart is so weak that the Lord will see to it that she will have a major cardiac event and pass away quickly.  The final months of my dad suffering thru congestive heart failure was terrible to watch, and I just don't think I can take watching my mother go through the same thing. 

ok---- off to the drug store for her meds.....

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

Well, Mother is back in her apartment.  We had talked extensively with the hospital nurse about what was going on with her and then she said she will make sure the doc gives her one of those memory tests before she leaves the hospital. Unfortunately I missed the phone call from the doc yesterday morning (but will try to call today), but when we arrived to bring her home we discovered that the doc and the social worker had set her up for in-home nursing care!! :cucumber:  After her incidents the last two weeks we had been looking into this and were dreading that conversation with her....but since the doc made the call we are "off the hook" as it were.  The nurse also suggested we look into memory care for the future....because I guess it looks like she has been officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  It sounds terrible, but I just keeping hoping that since her heart is so weak that the Lord will see to it that she will have a major cardiac event and pass away quickly.  The final months of my dad suffering thru congestive heart failure was terrible to watch, and I just don't think I can take watching my mother go through the same thing. 

ok---- off to the drug store for her meds.....

(((hugs))) Jackie. My Mom is going through this as well. She lives with my brother who is single, never married, no children...He is getting a real education on what it is like to care for someone other than himself. I have my Dad with me.  Luckily he is there mentally, physically he is a mess.

• Like 1

She gets little treats for potty but I had to do the training like Sit with her kibble.  She decided she preferred the treats over her regular food.  Also,  we have to coax her a bit to eat by feeding her from our hands.  After she gets started she generally eats on her own.  What a little manipulator she is and you are correct being cute doesn't help my discipline.  
She sleeps all night so I can almost put up with anything for that one!!  :dog:

Congrats on your new baby, Roxy! :flowers:

Trying to decide on house for new niece-- at first I thought the Lily which I have in a box, done up in egg-carton brick, but now I am thinking something more challenging (to make it look like my vision, whatever that is): the Artply Allison. (Or Whitney, or Greenleaf, looks like the same kit.) Can't find very many finished pics of the Allison, and all of those have the kit trim which is what I would replace with some nice Heritage Laserworks and "bespoke" windows/doors. Hmmm. Roofline looks lacking; maybe a well-placed dormer or two?

What a week its been! I have been at the vets, at least once a day since Saturday except for Sunday. Our now eldest cat - Dabba (age 11) stopped eating last Thursday and so we've gone down the track of figuring out what's wrong. Blood tests and an abdominal ultrasound weren't conclusive but at least ruled out the really bad stuff. Then I was given antibiotics to put down Dabba's throat and ended up with a claw through my thumb nail (boy did that hurt) and various scratches. I have ALWAYS been able to dose our cats but even when wrapped tightly in a towel it's been a nightmare trying to get the pills down his throat. Then yesterday I had two bites to my thumb - both of which are now infected and now I'm on antibiotics - the ones that make me feel blah but are best for this type of thing. Since the bite Dabba is now getting his antibiotics injected daily! at the vets - thank goodness they're literally 4 minutes down the road! Then last night Benni stopped eating and had some diaorreah and so did wee Archie. Archie at least hasn't given up food and thankfully Dabba seems to be coming right. So....poor cats and poor me! Today was supposed to be a housework day but honestly I am so tired and feel so crappy that it's going to be a sit on my butt and read day. Hoping to catch up on sleep and rest this weekend so I can enjoy the Eagles next Tuesday evening!!  Feeling very Bah Humbug at present!