What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I have set off on a journey to catalog every piece of art in the house, both Lloyd's and that of other artists, including me, and heirloom items. I am putting it in an on-line vault so those who have to clean up my estate will know what they are dealing with. So far I have photographed the items in the master bathroom, bedroom, and part of the hallway. 60+ photos. Still have the office, craft room, kitchen, dining room, and living room, plus a passel of unframed works in a trunk in the garage still ahead. With all of the rain, It is too wet play in the yard and the Beacon Hill has stopped talking to me, so I figure this is as good a time as any to get this done.

Kathie, that's quite a project. I feel the press in of "stuff" quite often at this time of year. I think it has to do with spring coming; I just want to clean up and clear out. Soooo, I've taken on a project at my church:giggle:Nothing major, just stripping off some 30 year old wallpaper and repainting. It's a small room, but it's already looking loads better.

• Like 1

I have taken on a civic project. The neighbors across the street installed the ugliest shed on their side yard which is not completely to code and is in the view of every window in my home. It’s a long story but basically the city can’t do anything to fine him until his permit runs out in July. If he’d just move it and hide it with landscaping I’d let it go but he won’t. The purpose of his shed is to store junk he picks up on the street for the purpose of holding garage sales every month. Basically, he is running a business out of his house (which is allowed) and storing merchandise in an accessory building (which is not allowed), but the loophole is garage sales are not regulated so he is not registered as a business even though that’s what he is doing. I have now met with most of the city Commissioners and they are all in favor of my suggestion of limiting garage sales to twice a year, personal property only, no accessory storage, parking on single side of the street to allow emergency vehicles through and a no-fee online permit. Go me!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sable said:

I have now met with most of the city Commissioners and they are all in favor of my suggestion of limiting garage sales to twice a year, personal property only, no accessory storage, parking on single side of the street to allow emergency vehicles through and a no-fee online permit. Go me!!

Go you for sure! If even part of those items get adopted it will be a step forward.

I’ve been away for a year and a half.  I’m back, dipping my toe into the creative side of my life.  Sold my house (in 4 days!) and leased a place in the city.  So for starters digging out all my DH stuff and setting up a creative space - I want from giant attic, to basement that’s kinda small. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smjsome said:

... digging out all my DH stuff and setting up a creative space ...

Great to see you back, Sharon! Which project is hollering the loudest?

• 2 weeks later...

OY! As of tomorrow I will have my craft room back and can work on minis again! We've been dealing with a roof leak right over our bed for almost two months! Ever since it happened, we had to pile up all the parts of our huge bed in my craft room and it's been so clausterphobic. I hate being in there. We are on the final step of getting it all fixed. Just one more coat of paint and we'll be back in our bedroom. I'm ready to get back to crafting regularly! I haven't been around much because I've just not been working on anything. I hope all of you have been well! 

• Like 2

For those wondering, just to let you all know that my family and I are all fine.  We are nowhere near the major shooting tragedy happening in Christchurch New Zealand at present.  I have family in the area however - but my sister is at her place of work, a school, currently in lock down.  My nephew's fiancee is a the hospital in lock down.  This is NOT New Zealand, this is NOT what New Zealanders believe. This is NOT acceptable in ANY way. We are all utterly horrified by this violence against the Muslim community. Violence against people because of their religion or beliefs or way of life, unless it is extremely anti-social, is NOT acceptable and should never occur. My love, prayers and healing to all those caught up in this very tragic event.  Utterly, utterly horrible.......

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shareb said:

For those wondering, just to let you all know that my family and I are all fine.  We are nowhere near the major shooting tragedy happening in Christchurch New Zealand at present.  I have family in the area however - but my sister is at her place of work, a school, currently in lock down.  My nephew's fiancee is a the hospital in lock down.  This is NOT New Zealand, this is NOT what New Zealanders believe. This is NOT acceptable in ANY way. We are all utterly horrified by this violence against the Muslim community. Violence against people because of their religion or beliefs or way of life, unless it is extremely anti-social, is NOT acceptable and should never occur. My love, prayers and healing to all those caught up in this very tragic event.  Utterly, utterly horrible.......

Thinking of you Rebecca.. I’m mortified to hear on the news that the shooter is possibly Australian. NOT who we are either. So shocking and abhorrent in a place of worship. Not religious at all myself but I thoroughly respect the right of anyone to worship in peace and safety. Glad to here your family are safe. ((Hugs))

Police commissioner has just come on.  Significant loss of life; number of car bombs found and 'made safe'; four in custody - 3 men, 1 woman and yes, one is an Australian - they're now saying he is known to the police.  The rest of the country is also on high alert and all Muslims have been advised not to go to their Mosques tonight.  My sister's school is still in lockdown as is the hosp.  Apparently there are helicopters overhead - they need to ensure the area is completely safe before letting the schools out.  One of our employees is Muslim and some of his family worship in that Mosque.  He doesn't know if they are safe yet.  Utterly shocking.....

@SharebSending hugs and prayers your way (((Rebecca)))....In these tragedies, communities pull together and the goodness over comes the evil that is so prevalent. (People really pulled together out here after the October 1 shooting)

• Like 1

Thank you all for asking!  

I’m rather lucky with family support, able to have time to work   While I have less space in the basement it’s way brighter then the attic - I have huge sliding doors with a view of a pond. S

Right now I’m slowly weeding my stuff.  St. Louis dollhouse museum has a yearly garage sale and whatever I weed out will go there.  I’m being Very Very critical, and I’m filling boxes to go - I sold a bunch last year, or my husband did, while I shopped - we actually made 4 times what I spent!  I’ve been at all the dollar tree stores, they have great cheap bead storage boxes that work, and while they have many colors I’m picky, I want just one color to reduce background noise, sol loads of trips when they restock

Husband bought me two elfa  gift wrap carts for Xmas that work great for my wood and molding, found light bulb tubes they are clear and easily cut to size, stapled corks in the bottom and my molding is easy to see! 

Being as we’ve leased I want to reduce holes in walls.  I also was able to reuse my grandkids toy storage to hold my “stuff”.

I’m a labeler and organizer - provides me with comfort ... 

I have some kits for 1/2, 1/144, and 1/4 scale

but!

whats calling to me is a cabinet I bought in a thrift shop, someone very skillfully created a dollhouse in it,  I want to remode it into a shabby chic flower shop (storage for all my flowers) on the bottom floor, and family upstairs, brownstone style.  My husband collects train minis, so I want the family to have a train hobby room (storage for all his train stuff), maybe a dollhouse being worked on a table.  That cabinet will also serve as a stand for a new old house I bought recently, that needs loads of work.

id like it to have a faux front door opening to a street at the back - maybe a step with a cat sitting on it.

one thing thats been happening is all the projects I had open a year and half ago are going away slowly.  Either gifts or sold - surprisingly it’s given me some money, a slight profit!  And a lot of joy - I gave my winter house to a young boy for his little sister, he finished it up for her and she loves it! I sold my Newport and the addition kit for a profit yesterday - 2 women with a load of kids in their car, they were so happy! 

So so many people kindly helped me along when I started, so I’m mindful of that, the giving away is better then the selling for me - at the garage sale I was so happy to see all the young people there.

Edited by smjsome
Spelling

Very sad.  The country is in mourning today after waking to the news that 49 have lost their lives as they sat in prayer.  We'll probably not hear about our employee's family until Monday but certainly hoping his family and friends are safe and well.

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I thought of you right away when I heard the news, Rebecca. I am glad you and your family members are safe.  I hate hearing these stories.  It feels like a cancer that is spreading.

I guess we always knew that it would eventually come here and that NZ would be a target at some stage but it's still a shock.  Still, NZer's are coming together and shouting that this is not who we are.  Seriously, why can't humans just live and let live.

5 hours ago, Shareb said:

Very sad.  The country is in mourning today after waking to the news that 49 have lost their lives as they sat in prayer.  We'll probably not hear about our employee's family until Monday but certainly hoping his family and friends are safe and well.

I guess we always knew that it would eventually come here and that NZ would be a target at some stage but it's still a shock.  Still, NZer's are coming together and shouting that this is not who we are.  Seriously, why can't humans just live and let live.

This is so very sad.  I just don’t how people can do these horrible things.  So many innocent lives lost....

• Like 1

Well, leave it to me to give myself a severe laceration with...wait for it...

a cheese grater.

Yup, silly me was trying to slice off some yummy cheese and ended up mostly slicing off a piece of myself. I now have a lovely bandage on my hand and can hardly move my left thumb. At least it’s my non dominant one!