What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I still haven't gotten the extra soil and I still haven't done anything with the iris bulbs.

Twas the beginning of the month and that meant two trips to the grocery store and a trip to the laundromat. Then I called the painters to paint my 7' x 8' living room. It used to have stark white wainscoting on the bottom and an ugly blue gray on the upper walls. When the sun didn't shine, it was like living in a cave.

So now the wainscoting is a dark moss green and the upper walls are the same cream color that's in the bedroom. It's a little yellower than a regular cream, sort of a rich, butter cream color. It looks marvelous.

The painters also hauled the old canopy out into the yard where I guess I'm starting another junk pile. Meantime, I started to mend net fences again. This time I piled up four cinder block, stuck a dowel in each opening, and then filled them with sand. That's what's going in the corner to hold the ropes I attach the netting to. Last time I had the dowels in a pot with potting soil and they kept pulling themselves out. It looks like this is going to work because we had high wind today and everything held. Only one more net fence to put up.

But this hauling a month's worth of laundry, loading and unloading sacks of birdseed, moving furniture in and out of the living room, stacking cinder blocks and then lifting 50lb bags of sand to pour down them has made my back start screaming. So I"m taking the next couple of days off before I get 20 more bags of soil and THEN I will finally get to the irises.

Of course, after that comes weeding and getting my rock garden beds into shape to plant next month. This may all help me lose weight, but I bet I walk hunched over for the rest of my life! LOL

Holly, you take care of yourself, hear?!?

Edited by rodentraiser
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 6:59 PM, MamaV said:

Opposite end of the life spectrum here, but my husband and I plus our baby daughter (she just turned one :( ) just moved into our first home, and we're blessed enough that it is HUGE for a starter home. Granted, we had to do some work on it, but it wasn't anything crazy-drastic and thus we managed. Point is, we were getting so desperate to move, we were considering cutting corners and doing things we had previously not accepted (smaller square footage, small kitchen, higher prices we couldn't actually support, etc.). But, "he wins who waits", and we are so, so happy with what we ended up with despite the agonizing journey to get there. So stick to your guns!!! Do what works best for you, not for the people you'd be paying money to (talk about bias!!!!). Sure, some things might have to be sacrificed (my husband's commute still makes me sad) but overall? You know what you need and what you want, and those are the goals! 

Also tiny houses are cute to think about, but can be super constricting if you're a maker, so don't feel beholden to the It's So Tiny and Precious temptation! It'll work out, don't give up! 

Since the contractor and my neighbor haven't figured out what they're going to do yet, I decided I'd just follow my original plan: live in this trailer for the next five years and save money. But I'm going to be comfortable living here. That's why I had the living room painted. Next I'm having a couple cabinets and the remaining kitchen table bench removed. That will make a practically full size kitchen in here. Then the kitchen gets painted. 

I know I'm wasting money if I'm going to be moving soon, but honestly, if those guys get a shed done over by December, I'll be really surprised. So right now I'm not counting them to actually do it.

I still think a 40 to 42 foot trailer with a couple slideouts will be just fine for me. That can give me as much as 400sqft and as long as it has room for my sofa, my computer desk, my bookcases, and my dollhouse, that's all the room I need.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

...Holly, you take care of yourself, hear?!?

Kelly, that's the easy part!  When the weather permits we live about 45 minutes from the most gorgeous beaches on the planet, across the road from 28 miles of the best recreational trail in the world (according to a recent survey) that the hubs has begun taking me to for hiking a mile at a time as I work back up to playing outdoors again.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 1:00 AM, rodentraiser said:

Since the contractor and my neighbor haven't figured out what they're going to do yet, I decided I'd just follow my original plan: live in this trailer for the next five years and save money. But I'm going to be comfortable living here. That's why I had the living room painted. Next I'm having a couple cabinets and the remaining kitchen table bench removed. That will make a practically full size kitchen in here. Then the kitchen gets painted. 

I know I'm wasting money if I'm going to be moving soon, but honestly, if those guys get a shed done over by December, I'll be really surprised. So right now I'm not counting them to actually do it.

I still think a 40 to 42 foot trailer with a couple slideouts will be just fine for me. That can give me as much as 400sqft and as long as it has room for my sofa, my computer desk, my bookcases, and my dollhouse, that's all the room I need.  

I wish you luck finding your dream home, in the meantime, go ham making your current one dreamy! It's not wasting money if it's making it homey for now 🙂

On 3/10/2024 at 3:22 AM, havanaholly said:

Kelly, that's the easy part!  When the weather permits we live about 45 minutes from the most gorgeous beaches on the planet, across the road from 28 miles of the best recreational trail in the world (according to a recent survey) that the hubs has begun taking me to for hiking a mile at a time as I work back up to playing outdoors again.

Yaaay outdoors! Enjoy the hiking, I haven't gone in a bit and I miss it....soon! 

On 3/14/2024 at 1:45 AM, havanaholly said:

Lucy, if y'all ever decide to fly down to Gulf Shores with the other snow birds, you can camp at Gulf State Park (or stay in one of their cabins, or the lodge on the beach) and access the Back Country Trail.

Excellent information! The hubs and I aren't really beach people, but we'll see how that goes through the years...especially since we like hiking regardless! 

There is part of the Florida Trail that begins at a big, friendly sign about three miles east of Pensacola /Beach that goes through the dunes on the Sound side of the road, one of the few places people are allowed to walk the dunes in Florida.  About halfway there;s an abandoned fish hatchery that a nesting pair of bald eagles have claimed and they like to check out hikers.  There's also a primitive campground nearby.  There's a campground at Ft Pickens with RV and tent sites.  One of our old hiking buddies, Sandra Friend, has written some good trail guides for Florida.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm back to being a drama llama again.

Last week, the electric went out in half the trailer. I had to get someone to fix that. Then I stupidly left the valve open on the black tank in my trailer and now the tank needs to be pumped. Over $200 for that. And on Friday, the car goes in - both the engine light and airbag lights are on and it needs an oil change. I would like to drive a car whose dashboard doesn't look like a pinball machine. Well, I didn't want to save any money this year anyway.

Meantime, I still have bags of soil and bark that need to be opened and spread, weeding up the ying yang to do, three blue mist plants that arrived today and need to be planted, I still need to plant the iris bulbs, and I need to go out and rearrange all my buckets and barrels because I have 37 strawberry plants, two blueberry plants, and a wintergreen plant arriving any day now.

And my sciatica is back and I am screaming and swearing like a sailor when I have to walk anywhere.

I'm seriously thinking of running away from home.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 5:56 PM, rodentraiser said:

Well, I'm back to being a drama llama again.

Last week, the electric went out in half the trailer. I had to get someone to fix that. Then I stupidly left the valve open on the black tank in my trailer and now the tank needs to be pumped. Over $200 for that. And on Friday, the car goes in - both the engine light and airbag lights are on and it needs an oil change. I would like to drive a car whose dashboard doesn't look like a pinball machine. Well, I didn't want to save any money this year anyway.

Meantime, I still have bags of soil and bark that need to be opened and spread, weeding up the ying yang to do, three blue mist plants that arrived today and need to be planted, I still need to plant the iris bulbs, and I need to go out and rearrange all my buckets and barrels because I have 37 strawberry plants, two blueberry plants, and a wintergreen plant arriving any day now.

And my sciatica is back and I am screaming and swearing like a sailor when I have to walk anywhere.

I'm seriously thinking of running away from home.

Ack, I can empathize with the lack of saving; my husband and I were heading to visit family on Saturday and we managed to hit a storm drain, rip it out of the curb, crack the front wheel rim and rip the MOUNT of the rear wheel out of the FRAME of the car. Talent, sheer talent. 

I also need to work on my plants, I have to germinate my broccoli before it's too late to plant it (Ohio, have mercy!) but I also have to have a garden to put it into once it sprouts....and that seems expensive....you'd think digging up dirt would be easier! 

So, here's some things to cheer us both up. 

image.jpeg.fdbfe1b784e88bc272c815228849785a.jpegimage.jpeg.7b92dae7c75bffd77f1ad84010aa7017.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.73adebbacaf693584044c558c34bc91f.jpeg

This weekend is the Pensacola Jazz Society's annual free Jazz Fest, for which the hubs and I schlepped stuff back and forth in our Ford F250 truck until the then-president decided to hire movers to do it.  Now we're finally too old to do the schlepping, so we sit back and enjoy the great music and watching all the people.

• Like 1

Can things get worse? Why, yes, yes they can!

So along with the sciatica, I was up all night night before last and in the ER all day Saturday with - tada! Gallstones. I finally ended up walking out of the ER when it became to painful to sit and then had to drive a curvy road home more than an hour in the rain. Got home, took 2 sleeping tablets at 7pm and then at 2am and slept 14 hours. I have laundry piled so high it's leaning. One of my neighbors kindly took pity on me and washed a couple pairs of underwear, two sweaters, and two slacks so at least I'd have something to wear today. Then it was off to the store to get a few things so at least I'd have something to eat for another week. Tomorrow the tank is going to be pumped and then on Wednesday I finally bring the car in. That's the day I'll do half my laundry at the laundromat and stop at the discount store for the majority of my groceries.

Some day I'm going to get back to my garden.

Oh, yeah, the zipper broke off my purse, too. When it rains...Man, I needed all that cute stuff.

Edited by rodentraiser
  • Like 1

Kelly, for what it's worth, I had kidney stones twice in my early 20s. It was the worst pain I've ever felt (no I haven't given birth). Anyway, if it helps, I drink copious amounts of water now and if I don't I can feel it in my kidneys after a while (like the very early signs of developing small kidney stones) and then I wil have urinary alkilisers - one or maybe two a day for a few days. Haven't had them since. This works for other people I know too.

Edited by shannonc60

Shannon, I have given birth twice and never had kiidney stones, but from what friends who have had both, the pain of the kidney stones is worse.

Happy and safe eclipse watching!

• Like 1

I got kidney stones three times in the 90s in one year and have never had them since. But yeah, talk about pain. I actually collapsed on the ER floor and when I came to, other patients were trying to get me up and going for the nurse. Good times.

The pump truck has yet to arrive and now I have Wellcare I need to call back - did I tell you how much fun Wellcare has been since last October when I signed up? Well, I will one of these days. It's quite  - well, I don't know quite what it is, but it's another of those long frustrating things that just won't resolve. Now it appears they've assigned me a doctor I don't know and have never met, but gee, is only 45 miles away. That thump you hear is my head hitting the desk.

• Like 1

I can attest that Kidney Stones is worse than childbirth - I'd actually rather give birth to triplets with no meds than EVER have kidney stones again ....I've had 5 bouts of them - gave up drinking Fresca and increased my water intake and thankfully have not had them again since about 2015... I pray it doesn't change!

On 4/11/2024 at 4:18 PM, Qubanqtee said:

I can attest that Kidney Stones is worse than childbirth - I'd actually rather give birth to triplets with no meds than EVER have kidney stones again ....I've had 5 bouts of them - gave up drinking Fresca and increased my water intake and thankfully have not had them again since about 2015... I pray it doesn't change!

😳 I've only ever given birth once and mid-labor I questioned how anyone has multiple children...and I'm the oldest of six!!! Looks like I'll be doing everything in my power to never have a kidney stone! That being said, I *DID* make a terrible decision a few months ago and drank apple cider vinegar...I was trying to balance my blood sugar but didn't do ANY research, and so I shot back about a 1/3 of a cup of straight vinegar. I burned my throat real good but decided to just press on. That evening I made my husband call poison control because I could feel it in my kidneys, and they basically said "too late now, you'll be fine eventually, good luck though." 

So don't do that :)

For a while the hubs and I were drinking apple cider vinegar to help control the bad cholesterol,  Two tablespoons in a small glass of apple juice will not burn your throat or make your kidneys mqad at you, but we found out it also comes in capsules, so we don't drink it ny more.

22 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

For a while the hubs and I were drinking apple cider vinegar to help control the bad cholesterol,  Two tablespoons in a small glass of apple juice will not burn your throat or make your kidneys mqad at you, but we found out it also comes in capsules, so we don't drink it ny more.

Yeeeeeep that's what my Mom told me after I told her about my fiasco....the more you learn! 

@rodentraiser I'm sorry to hear everything bad happening at once, but I have more cute stuff! 

Attractive and beauty.jpg

7 things to remember.jpg

Caterpillars.jpg

Brisket and gravy.jpg

Calm parrot.jpg

Confidence monster.jpg