What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Love your brick work Holly, great fireplace in the Fairfield! The cooker/oven is very cute too. How do you do your bricks? (Cause they're on the lighthouse too where they look great!)

No fair Beverly! Really hope the surgery works this time. Thinking of you with your head down and sending healing thoughts. Can you do some crocheting or knitting with your head down, or is it difficult to concentrate on that sort of thing?

Had a wonderful day today. John and I drove down to Maple Street which is about 130 miles from us because they were having a Bespaq sale. I was in heaven, there were about 4 large tables with 20% off, 2 with 50% off and some Elite furniture again all half price. John treated me to anything I wanted - oh and I wanted and wanted. Came home with such a haul of beautiful things - including 8 beds. Now I really must make a hotel - what else am I going to do with all the beds I've accumulated. I took some pics of some of the houses down there and will create an album tomorrow.

Nearby is Wimpole Hall which is a magnificent country house, now owned by The National Trust and they were having a craft fair there so we called in. Didn't buy much here except for a print that I bought for a friend's Christmas present, a couple of pork and stilton pies, a banana and chocolate cake (scrummy) and some fudge. Oh and there was lady spinning wool on a traditional spinning wheel. She bought the wool from the Wimpole estate where they have several different breeds of sheep and made berets and scarves etc. from the wool. She was telling me about the breeds and that none of the wool was dyed - all natural - so I bought a brown beret ( Manx Loghtan sheep apparently) which looks really nice - but wow does it stink of sheep.

Off to bed now after drooling over my purchases - I'm as poor as a church mouse at the moment but happy nontheless.

Night all

Pork & stilton pie? Oh, Jo, you've done it, now! I had to go put on a bib! Muriel, my "bricks" started out as sheets of 90-grit tan sandpaper. I marked the back into brick-sized grids, took chalk pastels and randomly rubed no more that two colors across each sheet (different colors over each sheet) and then spent a couple of days cutting them all apart into a container and gave it a shake to mix them all up. They're lovely to use, you paint your surface to be bricked the color you want for the grout and glue them on into whatever pattern you wish. The texture is to scale. I lifted the idea directly from Beryl Armstrong's book, How to Make Your Dollshouse Special. I describe it in my Team Glencroft blog. I simply cut the little buggers in half to use for 1:24/

Thanks Holly, I'll have to go check out your blog. Hmmm, can I convince Chris to help me to cut out hundreds of sandpaper bricks.... I think yes when he sees the effect they create! :p

I'm off to cook our thanksgiving dinner - first ever roast chicken from scratch! mmmm, very hungry already, so will be starving by the time it is all done! (It won't be anything like a proper thanksgiving dinner with many many sides and leftovers, but hopefully will be delicious non-the-less!)

:(

I have one kid coming for Thanksgiving dinner, so it will be simple (for me). DH found a recipe for braised fennel with carmelized onions last week at our Publix, and they had GORGEOUS great bulbs of it, and it was deliscious! so I'm hoping they have more. DH wants to get a spiral-cut ham so we can split the remainder after dinner with DS and he can take most of it home to feed himself off of it, along with any "leftovers". If I can't find any more fresh fennel I'll braise cabbage with the carmelized onions and bake some sweet taters. Don't know about dessert, though; maybe play with the Wolfmeister's mug cake recipe again...

Good Morning All

So, I got my HBS contest entry done & sent in & wanted to get back to finish my castle project. I want to get that done & then I can tear into the Greenleaf lighthouse kit. I am really anxious to do that one. However, I had made some coin banks for the grandkids using post office box doors & a friend asked me to make them one. Then another person wanted one & now I have orders for 4 of them. That's all the doors I have ! I can get more, but they are expensive & not worth my time.

I'll never get to the lighthouse !!! :(

Steve in PA

I have been up since 3 am, chasing dead people back and forth across the Atlantic. The family I'm researching immigrated to New Orleans from Germany in 1838. The kids keep popping back and forth, one son went back to Germany after the US Civil War to study medicine, became a well-known and well-respected physician in New Orleans.

Now I'm going back to bed! :(

Linda,

I think we (John paid for everything this time) spent just short of £250 which sounds an awful lot but I did get some brilliant bargains. A chest selling for £23 with a couple of missing handles for £2, 4 kitchen spindle chairs for £2 each, an old black range stove for £2 and a wardrobe in the catalogue at £17 for £4, a bespaq 4 poster bed for £19. Most of the other stuff was 20% or 50% off Maple Street catalogue prices so I did buy lots of stuff that I don't really need right now but it was too good a bargain to pass up. With an unlimited budget I would have bought the lot so it was very hard to decide what to spend my money on. I'm very happy with what I got though and no doubt most of it will be putting in an appearance on here at some stage. I bought a few beds to dress myself and maybe sell - we will see how things go.

I should think your beds would sell very well, Jo! We won't be doing too much today, got most of it done yesterday. Changed out the light fixture in the guest bedroom and cleaned the bathroom beside it. hung a wall shelf in there and put my small collection of antique doll furniture and bisque dolls on it. It looks like a tribute to WWII, with Japanese furniture and German dolls-lol! Got the ceiling in the living room dusted, which is quite a chore, doing the beams and light fixtures and cleaning the grates, but it looks much better. Just our bedroom and it's ceiling left to do, we'll clean the kitchen and our bathroom Thursday and be ready for our company.Bought the stuff for Thanksgiving dinner and found the animated deer I wanted for the front yard flowerbed. I'm not into that type of decorating normally, but I think the grandbabies will love the reindeer!

I'm so stopped up today, no sanding on the storybook for me! I may try to talk dh into doing it so I can mark the walls for shingling and finish the painting.

Fred is plum tuckered out from taking care of me. It is 9:40am and he is still in bed. I made myself a small leftover turkey sandwich for breakfast. Have to toss the rest away after giving some to the cats and Perla.

I found my wood glue and masking tape..did not have to search, Thank goodness.

I am going to start on the first floor of the lighthouse today. I have to glue all these pieces around the perimeter. This should be interesting. LOL

I want a cigarette but not so badly this morning like yesterday.

Boy, lots of people up and about here this morning, and all doing interesting things LOL. My plans today include scrubbing the bathroom and kitchen floors, watching snow fall, finishing a mini granny square afghan, watching snow fall, maybe baking a coffee cake, watching snow fall....Do you get the impression we're having our first REAL snow storm of the season? Supposed to be very windy this afternoon, too, with gusts up around 40 MPH.

Oh, man, I don't believe this - it's not even 7:30 a.m. here and our idiot maintenance guy is starting up the snow blower!! Give me a break, there's only three inches out there right now, and I'm sure there's at least a couple of folks who REALLY won't appreciate being woken up this early! SHEESH!! (I swear he is in love with that thing...)

Good Morning All

So, I got my HBS contest entry done & sent in & wanted to get back to finish my castle project. I want to get that done & then I can tear into the Greenleaf lighthouse kit. I am really anxious to do that one. However, I had made some coin banks for the grandkids using post office box doors & a friend asked me to make them one. Then another person wanted one & now I have orders for 4 of them. That's all the doors I have ! I can get more, but they are expensive & not worth my time.

I'll never get to the lighthouse !!! :(

Steve in PA

Once you start the lighthouse, watch out! It builds itself, and very quickly, too! I'll betcha the 1:12 version goes at least as fast as my 1:24 one did. I originally thought of making a spiral strair up through the middle; I had already glued the lantern room to the top and was attaching the roof when I realized I had neglected to cut holes for it into the floors and I wracked my brain for a solution. It was originally supposed to be a garden folly for the Fairfields' bash, but right now I'm debating donating it to our local children's home for whatever; anyway, it wasn't meant to be a "working" lighthouse when it was speaking to me...

We went to 3 different stores looking for surgical type masks for me to wear doing my sanding. I simply can't wear those formed ones like they have now. Anyway, I have discovered that plain ( formed ones) masks are about 4 dollars a box, identical ones at another pharmacy labeled 'flu masks' are 2.99 each. Talk about playing on a person's fear! So I am going to wait and check the medical supply for the plain old fashioned soft masks. Getting ready to start baking cookies and try to talk dh into sanding my house!

It's that kind of a day here, too, Holly. Went to sleep around 11 last night, awake at 3 am, back to bed at 6, slept until noon! Went to Walmart for ingredients for a new cake recipe I'm thinking of taking to Thanksgiving. Was going to try the recipe today and make another if it's worth sharing. Don't feel like it. Will experiment on the Thanksgiving guests! :( Am trying not to lie down for a nap. Think I'll chase some more dead people across the pond.

Holly,

I was thinking about a spiral staircase. Hmmm

Now would be the time to cut the holes in floors 2 and 3. I have no idea how to make a spiral staircase much less a 24th scale one. Can you all point me in some direction. Also, how big of a hole should i have done on each?

Thanks in advance!

Talked to Chelsea today. She is the woods of Tennessee. Hour outside of Nashville. Very small town called Dowelltown. Very small town population..like just over 300. The place is called IDA. She is the only intern in the winter but in the spring and summer..they have many. She was able to taste elderberry wine.

She is cold and sometimes bored but she is enjoying the time of learning. She will be coming home on Dec. 2nd! She misses Pizza.

She has lots of pictures to share when she gets home of all the people she has met. A couple guys in her commune are going to make a Tur-Duck-in for Thanksgiving. Two different communes share the feasting together. She says all her jeans dont fit. They are getting too big. She has lost weight while she has been there.

I miss her and cannot wait for her to come home.

Fred is making dinner. I tried to see how strong or weak my back really is today. I helped him wash and pat dry the chicken. After 10 mins of standing, I had to go lay down. So I really cannot do any cooking except simple quick stuff for now.

My Quality Sweets shop is finished! :p Yay, one of the many projects done. Photos took quite a while to upload, but hopefully they're all there now. :(

... Nope, for some reason the last one just won't load. Never mind I'll try again tomorrow! You'll get the idea anyway :p

Our weather has been funky all day, when my sinuses go boggy I find naps too easy to take! I did, however, get the little bedroom door frames up & the interior halves of the doors hinged; and I'll finish hanging the exterior doors tomorrow, after everything has had a good chance to dry. A chat with fov in the pozzle house topic is making me rethink my kitchen sink...

Muriel, if you post one more picture of your sweets shop I'm going to have to go join Weight watchers!

Well I did lots of laundry yesterday, in between playing with the Fairfield and napping! and today I have another stack to take back out to the Little House on the Highway. It's another gloomy gus day, maybe DH will feel like a trip to the grocery store to shop for Thanksgiving dinner. If DS hadn't expressed a desire to eat with us we were going to accept our paddling friends' invitation to join them at Cracker Barrel! for Thanksgiving dinner.

Still waiting for upper cabinets for the Cranberry to finish the kitchen. My next project will be the 'Petite Dreams" house (inverted Allison Jr) the poor thing has been so very patient with me, but she was wimpering last night, so I promised she would be next. After that the Taft!