What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

It's supposed to be a sunny and semi warm day here today. We will get the rest of the Christmas decorations out and try to do the tree. Abby never looks at it until i start working on it and then up she goes! DH has to sit and guard me and the tree with a squirt bottle of water to scare her off. She is a handful!

Other than that, more gluing on shingles, I hope!

I am cooking Sunday dinner. Hooray! Yippee!

I was going to cook a couple days ago but I was just not up to it. So today I am cooking the spaghetti sauce, italian sausages, and meatballs for dinner tonight.

It has been almost a month since I have actually stood in front of the stove and cooked something substantial.

It is a labor intensive meal but there are spots in between steps where you can sit while things are simmering. I do not remember who said it but I guess I am feeling better if I mention that I am cooking!

Well, we're back from the VA emergency room and both feeling rather discombobulated. The ER doc, who happened to be a cardiologist, pointed out that it is far more dangerous for him to forego the blood thinners and risk a clot in his mechanical valve that it is to lose some blood, as annoying as that is. They checked his blood count: 13 and higher is considered normal; his was 12.5, not low enough for them to admit him for a blood transfusion. So we keep on as we have been -- pressure and ice -- until it finally stops bleeding. Ten days now; we're wondering how many more.

The grand holiday tour is likely to be postponed if not cancelled outright. B)

you and Lloyd are in my thoughts.

went to our mini club Christmas party and had a great time. The gift I came home with was an Oriental set: handmade rice paper lantern, bonsai, and silk dragon pillow.

working tonight to finish a 1/4 scale schoolhouse to give a teacher friend, a drawing commission that is promised by tomorrow, reknotting a pearl necklace for the shop, and cook holiday goodies for giving. I'm almost finished knitting a scarf for a sis in law. I really want to get past these goals. Money is so tight for us right now and 'handmade' is the rule. We are making peppermint bark, rum balls, cold oven pound cake.

Thanks for all of the well wishes. We hope for a great improvement but will settle for even a little improvement by morning.

What is a cold oven pound cake? Sounds interesting!

this is a crusty yummy cake that will send your primary physician into a coma! You put this rich pound cake batter into a cold oven, THEN heat it to 325 for 2 hours, which develops a wonderful crunch. The cake is then drenched in a buttery brown sugar glaze to make the crust even more heart unfriendly. This is heavenly (unless you think of your arteries)....

oh it is SOOOO good

Sure does sound good! Also love the recipe Kathie and Lloyd mentioned for the shrimp. Think I might have to have some for lunch! (frozen prawns, not quite the same but still B))

I've got a question for all you experienced clever people out there. You probably remember me mentioning about my wedding shoes being to small the first time round, so they were going to redo them for me. Well they redid them and made them even smaller :) though only by 0.5 of a cm smaller. The lady said that she thought that if her workshop hadn't made them right twice, then they wouldn't the next time either and refunded me the money. Anyway, I still have one pair and thought I would try stretching them. I must say I'm not good with identifying material really, but it looks like the heel is leather (the rough side is showing) and the rest of the inside looks like leather, but is painted silver/gold. It looks like it is just a thin covering though rather than that the whole shoe is made of it. The outside is covered in satin and lace. Anyone have any ideas or experience with stretching shoes? They're long enough, but the bit over the toes needs expanding.

Thanks!

Muriel, if they're leather, they'll stretch, but do it very slowly (my stepfather was a cobbler by trade and made orthopedic shoes). Are your stretchers wood or metal? If metal, you might want to cover them with clean old teeshirt pieces to protect the lace.

Well, after looking at the checkbook and the bills, and wiping all the tears away... I am going to put off a few bills, for a few weeks and work on getting the boys Christmas stuff.... I LOVE Christmas, but am very Bah Humbug about it anymore... seems we just cant do a good Christmas for the boys.... and witha 13 year old it is very hard... he is not into toys anymore... and I just dont know what to get him... other than Long johns, which is at the top of his list.!!!!!

Zach our youngest has always been into horses, and now he is into those small skateboards as well..... and toys in general.!!

I am hosting the Christmas dinner as well this year so I have to put $$ away for the foods.!

Kellee

We are going to the clinic for L's blood test and then to the oral surgeon for a scheduled follow-up. Does this sound like something we've done before? Also need to tackle the laundry. It's beginning to push its way out of the closet! Also, must wrap presents so as to get some in the mail. And prepare some mini projects to take along, should we be able to make our trip.

The nice thing about your quilt shop is that there are lots of little portable things to make for it!

The weather is MUCH warmer, therefore extremely nasty (dense fog until 1000 except looking out back it looks more like all day...), so a wonderful day to mini.

We had fog here this morning, as well as icy roads, so there were a lot of accidents during the morning rush hour. I'm still home and the fog has mostly lifted around here, so I should be able to get to the stores as soon as I want to.

It was warm and no fog and by mid-AM we began to spot patches of blue peeping out between the gray clouds, so we hopped into our hiking shoes and grabbed sticks and took off for Leon Sinks and hiked 4 miles of GORGEOUS, if damp, trail for over an hour, to get warmed up (so to speak) for the group hike we're doing Sunday AM. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon in Crawfordville eating BBQ and shopping thrift stores.

Glad to hear someone's there so you can get some sleep Kathie! I hope you sleep well tonight.

I'm working miles and miles and miles away today, so gotta get going. It is going to be a long day I think. I'm waiting for an exciting parcel in the post, was supposed to arrive yesterday so I could pick it up from the post office this morning, but it didn't, so gotta wait until tomorrow! I disapprove :)

Too tired to sleep much last night, & DH for some reason seems noisier than usual (can we say snores like a jackhammer?); betcha I'll crash for a nap come mid-morning! The cold weather is coming back and I have a ton of dirty clothes to wash today.

One of the treasures I found in the thrift stores in Crawfordville yesterday was an Indian Princess doll with instructions for crocheting her a fringed-yoke dress, so that's how I'm using up the yarn left over from Miss Grayson's pinafore.

I forgot to buy coffee grounds yesterday so I had none for making coffee this morning. I figured I would go out to Dunkin Donuts. It is BELOW 30 deg F outside. ffffffreezing.

So I check weather.com...going to be cold all day. And alll day tomorrow. I need to find something to cook in the oven. I do have a turkey breast in the freezer but it is too late for that..I would have to thaw first.

Maybe I will make something like a lasagna or a noodle casserole of some sort. Something to warm the house up.

The day started well for me; I got to sleep until 6:30, the nurse left at 7. Lloyd's day, not so much. He lost more blood during the night. A trip to the lab for blood tests was on the agenda. Meanwhile, Xochi wasn't feeling well, so I bundled both of them in the car and set off for help. X is on antibiotics; end of story, thank goodness.

Lloyd on the other hand ... he needed two tests. The lab got one of them wrong, the important one, so when I called them later in the morning, was told I'd need to bring him back again. More bleeding than usual throughout the day. We had quite a sack of gauzes to take with us (to clamp between his teeth, apply pressure to the sockets). I grabbed one of their surgical masks for him to wear so he wouldn't scare small children and squeamish adults.

Turned out his blood count was low enough below normal to warrant a blood transfusion under normal circumstances. Conference call with local GP, coumadin clinic guru, and oral surgeon. Groupthink was that there was not much point in adding water to a leaking bucket. Upshot was, we drive 70 miles to Blue Springs to the oral surgeon, who took out stitches, replaced stitches, and did I don't know what all -- essentially what he did when he took the teeth out on the 4th. We found a source for some extra-magic potion that stabilizes clots to control bleeding. This is used on hemophiliacs when they need to have dental work done. Hard to find, ultra expensive; a toss up between getting enough of it to do some good or buying a small car. We opted for the meds.

Tonight there is only minimal oozing at the site. YES!! He has orders not to speak, not to move his head, not to bend over ... lots of nots. We will pick up the magic potion tomorrow morning and go back to the oral surgeon (this time only 30 miles away, in Sedalia). You should see the lovely painting on his medicine wagon. Turns heads as he wends his way up and down the highways and byways ... but I digress 25.gif

Anyway, L is home for the night. The nurse will be here to watch him, but if he does what he's supposed to, I'm thinking all will be well. (From my lips to God's ears, eh?) If he does start bleeding profusely again, she will awaken me and we will go visit our good friends in the ER for some of their nice fresh blood. Somebody asked why this is happening. Partly his blood thinners, partly because Mr. Macho didn't listen to the surgeon in the first place. You can probably guess who taught his class about 5 hours after the surgery, then spent a day and a half loading and unloading kilns, lots of bending over. And starting back on the blood thinners a day after the surgery, but not much leeway there. As the cardiologist pointed out, having a heart valve get stuck because of blood that's too thick is a lot more threatening than losing some blood. This episode has had a lot of "between a rock and a hard place" scenarios. On the whole, we are pleased with the care he is getting.

Tomorrow we head out at 9 for the lone pharmacy that could get the magic potion. It's in Higginsville, 30 miles west of here. The meds are due in between 9 and noon; if they aren't there early, there's a lovely quilt shop nearby. From Higginsville we head to the surgeon in Sedalia (50 miles SE of Higginsville), and then home (30 miles north). We're putting enough miles on the car to have made the drive to Houston and NOLA, but the scenery and stops aren't anywhere near that interesting.

And so it goes, here in the Heartland.