What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Woot here we go again another week of snow its starting here today and we have an agent coming over to access our house to sell it she will probably end up getting stranded out here! If I get time today I will post some pictures in my gallery because this is really unbelievable! Not to mention were -30 at night least it warmed up to -27 right now..... :thumb:

Jeanne, trust me ... even temps near freezing is a lot better than ice and 16"+ of shoveling. If you're thinking south, go for it!

We had a wonderful visit with Richard Thomas yesterday and bought 3 prints of his paintings to frame for the condo. Can't wait to see them on the walls! He and his 7-year-old are coming for supper tonight. We didn't have a chance to meet her yesterday.

Well, am back home again, came "home" late Friday evening and my parents picked me up at the airport in Copenhagen and then hubby joined us Saturday and we just got home-home so to speak. The BETT show/ICT stuff was huuuuuge, the three days went poof very quickly and we were sooooo tired out of all the input but in a great way. Then it was lovley to spend the weekend with my parents, it has been a while since we got to meet so that was great as well, but there is nooo place like home. Looks like I have some catching up to do... :)

Hugs

Lloyd awakened me just past midnight this morning. He thought I'd better get dressed in case the firemen wanted us to evacuate. There was a fire in a unit on the second floor and a couple of units down from us. (We're ground floor, end) I hadn't heard the 8 or so firetrucks and other emergency vehicles, some of which were parked no more than 50 feet from the bedroom window, loud diesel engines and flashing lights running, never mind the bang of ladders and breaking glass, and ... [Did I ever mention I once slept through the bombing of a pizza parlor across the street from my dorm room?] We didn't have to evacuate but did lose power for about an hour.

It was apparently a fire in a sofa, as soggy cushions and what appeared to be a charred sofa frame were pitched out the window before it was over. No one was injured. And, surprisingly, there are no lingering odors of smoke this morning.

That's enough excitement for today.

Good grief, Kathie - yeah, I'd say you've had enough excitement for today! Just really glad no one was hurt and no one had to leave. As someone who's been through three major apartment fires - deaths in two of them - my heart speeds up just at the thought of such catastrophes.

Got the opposite problem here today, and apparently for the next couple of days - WAAAAY too much water. It's been warm (40+F) and gushing rain for a couple of days now, with major melting of all the huge piles of snow that were everywhere, and the streams/creeks/rivers are getting awfully close to flood stage. Some already are there, but not near me, thank heavens.

But I am starting to wonder when I'm going to see animals walking by, two by two....:)

Did you manage to see anything mini in London Anna, or was it just too much conference?

Glad everything turned out ok Kathie, certainly a scary experience I'd say.

Hope the wet stays out of your flat Mary.

Day home, worked saturday, so very glad I don't have to go in today! I'm debating whether to go shopping or not. Was going to see if I could have a chat with someone about state benefits available when I've given birth, but whilst trying to make an appointment they actually said I could find out on the phone. They seem to do everything for how you are doing now, rather than how you might be in the future, so as expected not entitled to anything extra now based on current finances, but once given birth and on the reduced pay I should ring up again and see if I'd be entitled to anything else :) Doesn't leave a lot of availability for planning ahead, but guess we'll plan without anything extra and if there is extra it is a bonus.

Anyway, was going to shop at the same time as going out for the appointment, but don't have to do that anymore, so now can't be bothered to go out shopping! Might have to just do an online order again. Means I'll have to figure out something we've already got here for supper tonight and tomorrow as the order would only be delivered tomorrow evening. And we're destinctly lacking food in the house. Hmmmmm maybe I can convince Chris to stop at the local shop on his way home and pick something up, or I might find enthusiasm to go out myself.

Last holiday was October time I think, so after the manic december time at work and Christmas I'm quite ready for another! Thankfully I've got 10 days off starting Friday, so just three more days to work. Think the time off will involve quite a spring clean - skirting boards need washed, doors and cupboard doors too, and windows... Get it done now while I can still can just about get down there and before the baby comes!

Muriel, you are sounding like mother already, with your planning and clucking, hehehe Momma hen. I think your mind speeds up when you're pregnant..and the hormones start you worrying about so many things you would have sailed over, pre prego.

Kathie, dang it, that's apartment life for you. I used to live in fear of people around me, knowing that so many things can go wrong, especially fires.

Now, living in a single house, I find I have almost as much worries about a fire. The family next door is reminescent of the Kettle family of old, appalacia jokes. Their house is a disaster since they moved in..a real firetrap, with junk in the yard, and no screen doors, children sitting with only a diaper in the mud in the front yard, only yards from a country road where everyone does way more than the allowed speed limit. The landlord is a cousin, and in absentia, living in another state, so they have no clue as to the living conditions, or perhaps they do..maybe that's why they moved so far away?

The house is in the middlling to last stages of disintigration. They use no screen door or windows so flies go in and out, as well as the family dogs, and God only knows what other critters. They burn their trash in the yard, ignoring the city ordinances..food garbage piled all over. Everybody in the neighborhood's called and called the city code enforcement, but so far nothing's been done about it.

Oh, they get individual summonses..but the city still hasn't made a move to condemn the propertyor to send child care people in to investigate the living conditions. Getting our tiny city's government to do anything more than sit on their butts is akin to lighting a fire under them..

These people not only use a wood stove, they burn a kerosene heater. The house is over 150 years old and dry as tinder. Our house is a scant 20 feet from theirs. If they are as careless about tending to these two items, as they are about the rest of their home, we're in for a fire in the near future. I'm scared to death. Our house will surely catch some of the flames, and we'll be burnt out of our home.

Since we are at the very edge of town (our house is the last house in town, with a mountain at the end of the street.), it'll take the volunteer firemen a bit of time to reach our house..needless to say we have a VERY good insurance policy, but who wants to have to use it? Not us!

If we'd have known we would get neighbors like these, in the future, we would not have bought the house. When we bought, that house was supposed to have been torn down. Then the guy changed his mind about tearing down the house, moved out of state, and stuck some relatives in it, so he could squeak out a last big of profit. Ugh.

Particularly around this time of year, is when I worry most about a fire. So if you ever, EVER decide to move to a house..make sure there's nothing slated for demolition nearby. Promises, unless they are on paper, are worthless. This one house has not only brought our whole neighborhood down, it's made it downright dangerous for the rest of us.

Oops, I went on a rant and forgot to ask something. Katie, how did your dinner party go? The one with Richard Thomas? Did you have a good time?

Oops, I went on a rant and forgot to ask something. Katie, how did your dinner party go? The one with Richard Thomas? Did you have a good time?

The dinner party was lovely, thank you. Richard's 7-year-old Isabella was a real treat as a guest. She is bright and outspoken with very nice manners. She saw all of the bits and pieces of the Beacon Hill on my worktable and wanted to know if we couldn't put it together after supper. :) We compromised by looking at pictures on line of some of my other projects. I think the two of us may work on something together. I wish I had one of my Primrose kits down here.

She saw all of the bits and pieces of the Beacon Hill on my worktable and wanted to know if we couldn't put it together after supper. :)

Too funny! When y'all get done with that, could you come by here and finish mine after lunch? Okay, thanks!

It would be great fun if y'all could do a small something together, bet she'd love that!

Completed all the arrangements yesterday to attend the Chicago mini show in April . Classes are confirmed, Plane tickets and Hotel room booked. I had thought Seattle last July was my mini show hurrah ever but this opportunity showed up and with a Ric Pierce class I liked along with a Deb Mackie class it was an offer I could not refused. Now will have to buckle down and finish several unfinished projects so that I will have room to finish up the piece from Ric's class.

Will finish putting up the Christmas stuff away later today. And I need to get the laundry done before I can get back to the Medieval Tower Cottage. Sigh, had to get some new wood for the floors as they had warped to badly and would not work. Also got the builder's foam to start the landscaping and buildup for the basement/grotto.

Well Brady is still a sweetheart. He continues to fit in and it is taking very little on our part to adjust to him.

Oh Beverly..I am jealous. I hope you have a wonderful time!

More snow on the way for us overnight into tomorrow. The snow does not end for us. Ugh.

I am going to do my friday grocery shopping today and hit the gym. Not in that order. Then clean up the diningroom so that I can work on the little Arthur.

Unfortunatley no times for minis in London Muriel to much work stuff and not able to sneak away for a little while to go visit one of the shops I had listed, buuuuut, congrats to your soon-to-arrive (sort of atleast LOL) mini, am slowly getting caught up around here and read about the little addition :)

I think I told you all that I had applied for a full time principal job in another city, just as close to us as the one I work in now, ie about half an hour car ride one way but the other direction, and I just had a phone call from them and I now have an inteview set up next Friday afternoon, eeeek and yay!

I am going to dig into the reading materials about that particular area that I collected and printed when I had first applied and set aside for "if and then" and dig into that over the weekend.

Fun, exciting and I'll wait and see until after the interview and what might come out of that....

Hugs

Excellent Anna! Fingers will be crossed for you on Friday, let us know how you get on :)

Pip is getting more lively - or at least I am feeling him/her more now. Before I mostly just felt a kick occasionally, now I feel him moving as well, not just the kicks. Feels very strange, something moving uncontrollably in your tummy!

Yeesh, Kathie! I am glad things worked out okay.. that sounds a little scary.

Have a great time Beverly!

I am hoping to be snowed in tomorrow so I can actually get some work done on my new dollhouse. Since we did not get a snow day today, I put my creative house building energies into helping my students build gingerbread structures. It has been a lot of fun. We'll finish the construction phase tomorrow if we do have school. Pictures on my blog.

The roads were very treacherous coming home today - 6 inches of accumulation with a lit of drifting. At the moment, I am glad to be home and enjoying the fire.

Christmas stuff put away except the Christmas tree and that will be done tomorrow. It is too heavy for me or DH to handle safely even though it breaks down into three pieces. Help on the way!!!

We have a storage room off the laundry room and I had to clean it up and reorganize it after three years of neglect before the stuff could be put back. Labeled all the boxes, organized them and swept shelves and floor. But it is done and looks really good and i can find things. Yehawwww!!!!!! House was cleaned from top to bottom except for miniature work area. I keep putting it off. Need to buckle down and get to it.

Yesterday, finished the laundry, folded and put away. Took car in for maintenance and need to pick it back up tomorrow. Managed to shorten three pairs of pants DH got for Christmas and mended a bunch of hems and seams that piled up over the past year during all of my eye surgeries. Still do not know where all this ambition came from, just hope it last until everything gets done.

Now dinner awaits!

Yay, time off! Had a long lie in this morning, then did lots of reading. Had lunch, then more reading, then met Chris at the pub for a drink before getting hair cut. Home to make dinner and now internetting and looking for wool to knit a blanket. Want it rainbow coloured, so think buying from a shop where I can pick out balls of wool might be easiest. Tomorrow we're going to my sister's house to celebrate (belated) Christmas, so looking forward to a yummy roast dinner made by mummy.

We left two weeks ago Tuesday and spent a couple of days camped at Manatee Springs State Park. The launch was closed, but the Suwanee has so much power boat traffic we weren't too keen on paddling and dodging the bigger, faster stuff. The park has several miles of hiking trails that are a delight, and we spent half a day exploring.

Then on to Silver River State Park and freezing cold weather. Half the GA paddlers were frozen in and couldn't get out of their driveways, much less make the trip to Central FL. It finally warmed up briefly enough to go paddling the length of the Rainbow River on Sunday. We started from the Rainbow Springs State Park launch site and paddled upstream to the headsprings, which are beautiful and, unlike Silver Springs last time we paddled the Silver River, not obliterated with hydrilla. The 7-8 mile paddle down to the takeout in

Dunnellen was also nice. Unlike the people we normally paddle with, the GA folks don't tend to stay together or wait up for each other, so we had the river to ourselves below the state park until the take out. The last mile there are little channels and canals to confuse a paddler new to this part of the river; but we've learned to watch for the main current and follow it, and we found our way. While we were putting our boats back on top of the truck the rest of the group showed up by ones & twos.

Next we hit the Hillsborough River State Park campground and took a day to visit DH's mother, brother & SIL. It continued godawful cold, so perfect weather for visiting.

We finished up at Gold Head Branch State Park between Jacksonville and Gainesville, and between Lake City and St Augustine. We found two great hiking venues, one in Palatka at Ravine Gardens State Park, and the other S of Green Cove Springs on the Bayard Conservation Area's nearly 10K acres.

On the way home this past Tuesday it drizzled the whole way, and the state road we sere on passed right through the middle of White Springs, so we decided to stop at our favorite campground there and wait for nicer weather. It commenced to storm as we finished setting up and be late afternoon our storm had made the major story on the Weather Channel! Yesterday dawned clear (and COLD! we ran out of propane in the tank we'd been using, so I got to bundle up and crawl outside in the predawn chill to switch off the empty tank and turn on the full one), so after early breakfast we hitched up and came on home.

The new bathroom is nearly done! I picked up a hanging rack with seashells I want to mount to the door, and I picked up a curtain for the window. The plumber/ contractor still has to flush out and align/ aim the tub's jets and the walls are still pretty bare, but OMG! it's gorgeous, and I'm going to hunt up the camera today to take a picture.

Making dolls up like crazy preparing for the show in June! The east coast has all of my snow! Please return it to me immediately! Other than that, things pretty calm here on the mountain. for the moment anyway. Had water in the basement, which is now cleared up. We've only got about 4 feet of snow right now. Need more.

Same old, same old. sorry about your woes Kathie! Fire is always frightening! Keep safe people!

Welcome home Holly! Looking forward to those bathroom pics :rolleyes:

Two bathrooms done, time to work on the kitchen spring clean!

When we were younger (under 13 years old or so) we rarely watched tv or listened to the radio. During cleaning time however we had a few tapes we could listen to. They are still favourite cleaning music! Vivaldi Four Seasons and Susan Vega, I'm guessing Solitude Standing album.

Anyone else have something particular they listen to when cleaning?

It was a major ice storm last night into the wee morning hours. Now we just have rain. The temps are above freezing. I have a towel on the floor by the front door because of a little, normal, old house dripdripdrip.

I am working on the half scale Arthur today (waiting for paint to dry). I will take pictures along the way and post later. I think i am going to make burgers for dinner tonite. Nice big bacon cheese burgers..no bun for me.

And a tossed salad.

Maybe I will do something with the spaghetti squash also.

Yesterday the temps fell from 70 to 30 as the storm front moved through. We had burgers (no buns) last night with wide noodles and pan gravy and snap beans. The burgers were stuffed with a little feta cheese. I'd rather have used bleu cheese, but feta was what was on hand. Cold, rainy weather seems to call for comfort food.

I made buckwheat crepe batter last night and made some of them for breakfast and stuffed them with crumbled cooked turkey sausage, scrambled egg substitutes and drained chopped sun-sried tomatoes for breakfast. they were GOOD! I'm going to make some more for supper and stuff them with spinach, rice, asparagus & cheese to have with supper.

Learning to make crepes is something I have wanted to do for most of my married life!

I am in a blue funk right now. No time for miniing.

My washing machine died last week and we had to go out and buy a new one which was delivered Monday. There were further problems when a plastic part cracked because of the cold. The dealer said it would be Friday before they could have a replacement. Somehow they pulled one out of a hat and delivered it yesterday. I did my first load today and I do not like this new super duper energy efficient monster. It is all you can get these days and I hate hate hate hate it. I am not getting the cloths clean and I have had to do one load three times. So much for an efficient and water saver.

One of our printers died as well but DH took the opportunity to order himself a colored laser. He did get a good price so we will see how it works when he gets it hooked up.

We now have three feet of snow around the house and at least an inch of ice on top with another storm waiting in the wings.

I certainly hope the ground hog was right. I usually do not mind winter, but this year has been a bit over the top.