What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

So sorry, Beverly - I hate those "energy saver" appliances, too. They don't!

Holly, you sound like me - I just inherited (well, grabbed off of our "exchange" table) a marvelous old Toastmaster waffle maker, beautifully seasoned, works wonderfully. Now all I can think of are the many, many different kinds of waffles you can make, and the goodies you can put on top of them....

Last night we had snow and rain and thunder and lightning, on top of the couple of feet or more of snow we already have. Today they predicted highs going up to 40 degrees, and sunshine, so I told my husband someone should go out and start removing all that ice from the driveway. He didn't see why we needed to bother, that it was melting anyway. I knew better. He just gave me his lordly smile.

I went out with my ice breaking equipment and got to work on my side of the driveway, my son helping me. We got 3/4 of my side done and had to quit because the ice had become too thick. My driveway slopes downhill.

After a few hours, I went back out to chip some more and dh came and helped me clear a few more yards down to street level. He then drove to the convenience store, and parked his truck on his side of the driveway when he came home - where the ice was.

An hour later I looked up and saw the hood of someone's car at the bottom of our driveway. I moved over closer to the window for a better look, and lo and behold, the big ol' Silverado had slid down the driveway and into the street.

It's now parked on my nice dry side of the driveway.

Nahner-nahner-nahner. I think some big lunkhead is going to be chipping ice tomorrow afternoon. Tonight it'll be in the teens, then it's supposed to be mild, with several more inches of snow tomorrow night.

Hehe "Nahner-nahner-nahner" is right!

Bit of a tidying and laundry day today before a scan in Bristol. Chris has to work so Mummy, Sister and Niece are coming to the appointment with me. Think only one or two of them will actually be allowed into the scan room, but will be nice to see them anyway.

This pregnancy thing is scary. I'm responsible for keeping this little being safe in my tummy while it gets ready to be born, but really I've got no control if something goes wrong. With someone outside the womb you can often see when something is going wrong and do something about it, in the womb by the time you notice that the lack of movement is not them sleeping it is much too late to do anything. So strong a miracle, but also so fragile.

I just finished a little project for a contest on another forum. It was called the Trash to Treasure contest. You had to make a mini 'something' from trash or junk that you have around the house or where ever. I made a mini A Frame tree house using a coffee can, a piece of a Christmas tree & all kinds of scrap pieces that I had around the house. You can see how I built it in my Flickr album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smb900/

Steve in PA

post-1188-1297167315_thumb.jpg

No mini time again this weekend and not sure when this week. We have had another storm come through again last night and got another six inches of snow. Does not sound too bad except that was on top of the other 24 to 40 inches we have around the house. Our dogs can find themselves up in over their heads if they get off of the tracks they have created to get out to their potty places. We will have lots of poop cycles to clean up when the snow melts. The current temp is 15 degrees.

While I love country living, there can be some real downers involved. We had blocked sewer lines to the septic tank late last week and the plumber had to come out to "unblock" them. Then again last night the thing blocked up again. This happens every so often so we have come to take it in stride. Major part of the problem lies in the way the original builders dealt with plumbing a two story house plus basement built into the side of the hill some 70 years ago. A few renovations over the intervening years also has not helped. The plumber is the younger half of the team that did the work when we moved in 15 years ago and took over the business upon his fathers passing. He has been planning to come back and do a major over hall of the section in the garage that causes so much trouble but wanted to wait until we had warmer weather. Now that is no longer an option and he is down stairs working to finish it up by early this afternoon. Luckily the garage is well insulated and he can work fairly comfortably. In the mean time, no water, no showers, no laundry and no dish washing not to mention no flushing.

Our plumber came by to gather up all his gear (and haul off all the mountains of trash!) and see what I've added to the BATHROOM. I'm still looking for a large, lightweight objet d'art to fill the huge blank wall over the tub. I set up a mini scene in the window that enhances the view out that window (or, neat stuff you can use old aquarium structures and odd knicknacks for).

I went off on a tear and papered both sides of Mildred's wall dividing the kitchen & diningroom and installed the wainscot for the diningroom wall, and when everything was all dry I hauled out the adjacent walls and discovered I had gotten mixed up as to which wall the common wall abuts and which wall it intersects... I now have the resized wainscot clamped in place and new wallpaper ready to start cutting...

One of the hardest things for me to resist in thrift stores is HUGE bags of yarn. In honor of the continuing COLD weather I'm knitting RL motif squares until I run out of yarn, and then decide if I'll sew them into an afghan or a snuggie.

We're getting ready to go visit KathieB later this week, too.

I'm still looking for a large, lightweight objet d'art to fill the huge blank wall over the tub. We're getting ready to go visit KathieB later this week, too.

Hold off on the object d'art until you see what I made. It may inspire you. :spoton: :flowers:

I am fighting a cold at the moment but hope to have it under control by the time you get here. Pampering myself with honey-laced hot lemonade. Don't know if it has any curative properties but it is soothing. Started yesterday. If the throat is still sore tomorrow, will head over to the doctor's office. I'm prone to strep, but this doesn't feel like it.

Hold off on the object d'art until you see what I made. It may inspire you. :spoton: :flowers:

I am fighting a cold at the moment but hope to have it under control by the time you get here. Pampering myself with honey-laced hot lemonade. Don't know if it has any curative properties but it is soothing. Started yesterday. If the throat is still sore tomorrow, will head over to the doctor's office. I'm prone to strep, but this doesn't feel like it.

Kathie,

I swear by zinc lozenges (like Cold-Eeze). They have already prevented 2 colds for me this winter. It does mess with your taste buds for a few days, but so would a cold. Hope you feel better soon!

"So strong a miracle, but also so fragile. "

Muriel, I was really touched by your post a couple of days ago about your pregnancy. Thanks for sharing your feelings of wonder and awe over this miracle you're experiencing.

Me, I'm in the midst of total chaos. My 30-unit apartment building is finally going to undergo the major remodel that's been rumored for at least the last two years - and it's starting March 1. We'll be having to move out for at least a month in groups of six apartments while we get new plumbing, kitchens and bathrooms, new carpeting/paint/cabinets - LOT of work going to be done. The management will be paying for any moving expenses and finding/paying for places for us to stay while our places are worked on, but still, we have to pack up everything (into boxes provided), think about what we'll need to take with us to survive for a month wherever we'll be staying, and be prepared to have the rest of our stuff in storage (also paid for) for a month.

Seems I'm in the first group of six, and they're coming to move my stuff out on March 1, and I'm lucky - I'll actually be staying in a cute little one-bedroom guest house just a couple blocks away all by myself, instead of in a four-bedroom guest house with other tenants (and their pets!), or in a vacant apartment in a neighboring town....Yep, I'm lucky! The little house is fully furnished, with cable and internet and washer/drying (taking laundry with me to take advantage of FREE laundry LOL). But, OMG, what a mess overall. And this is going to go on for months, to be followed by a new roof and patio remodels and new, more energy efficient windows later in the summer.....

Anyway, so I'm packing and trying to decide what mini projects and supplies I can't survive without for a month and will need to take with me - brother, THAT's hard! Can't take it all.... but I sure wish I could!

Oh, I'm so looking forward to having a spanking clean and new apartment, with rehabbed patio and all that, all that will be so wonderful. But I've already decided there's not much point in planting my usual container garden on and around my patio - just about the time things would be really growing will be the time they start tearing the whole area up. Well, I'm looking at that as saving me the cost of buying seeds or baby plants, potting soil and fertilizer and all that good stuff, so it's not ALL bad LOL!

One thing that's driving most of my neighbors absolutely nuts is that, as of March 10, our building is going into non-smoking mode. No smoking allowed in your apartment, on your patio or anywhere on the grounds, the penalty being eviction if you don't comply. Now, I'm a smoker myself and I absolutely agree with this ruling and am completely behind it. My intention is to quit while I'm away from my apartment for that month (smoking also not allowed in the guest house where I'll be staying), and have always had the plan that I would under no circumstances befoul my nice new and clean apartment by smoking in it. And since I've witnessed several major apartment fires, some caused by the nasty combination of drunken smoking, and since several of my neighbors are dawn to dusk drinkers who never draw a sober breath and who also all chain-smoke, I am HUGELY relieved that they won't be allowed to keep on doing that and sooner or later setting fire to their places, themselves, and anything attached to their places - like MY apartment!

Oh, I'm so looking forward to having a spanking clean and new apartment, with rehabbed patio and all that, all that will be so wonderful. But I've already decided there's not much point in planting my usual container garden on and around my patio - just about the time things would be really growing will be the time they start tearing the whole area up. Well, I'm looking at that as saving me the cost of buying seeds or baby plants, potting soil and fertilizer and all that good stuff, so it's not ALL bad LOL!

One thing that's driving most of my neighbors absolutely nuts is that, as of March 10, our building is going into non-smoking mode. No smoking allowed in your apartment, on your patio or anywhere on the grounds, the penalty being eviction if you don't comply. Now, I'm a smoker myself and I absolutely agree with this ruling and am completely behind it. My intention is to quit while I'm away from my apartment for that month (smoking also not allowed in the guest house where I'll be staying), and have always had the plan that I would under no circumstances befoul my nice new and clean apartment by smoking in it. And since I've witnessed several major apartment fires, some caused by the nasty combination of drunken smoking, and since several of my neighbors are dawn to dusk drinkers who never draw a sober breath and who also all chain-smoke, I am HUGELY relieved that they won't be allowed to keep on doing that and sooner or later setting fire to their places, themselves, and anything attached to their places - like MY apartment!

Mary, I'm very happy that you're going to stop smoking...for health reasons. We're all behind you. :flowers:

Snow. Again. In Atlanta! We don't get snow more than once in a year normally. This is the 3rd one! This one won't shut us down though, it's just snow, not ice, just a little icy roads in the very northern parts of Ga. It's about an inch on flat surfaces, and very pretty! And good snow for here, not ice. Hate that the boys aren't going to get to play in it, it will be gone by the time they make it home tonight.

Cold weather in New Orleans -- 30s & 40s -- will give way to low 70s next week. Thank you, Mother Nature, it's about time. Soon the parades will begin! :flowers:

Just getting over a cold that knocked me off my pins the beginning of the week. Throat so sore I thought it had to be strep, but test yesterday was negative. Feeling much better today after nearly 12 hours of sleep. Need to be tip-top by tomorrow, as Holly and her DH are arriving! :spoton:

Back to bed in a little bit. Most symptoms gone, but feeling very tired.

I didn't mind the dusting of snow here in Atlanta. We had such a glorious 70 degree weekend not too long ago that it was enough to chase away the winter blues for a while. Just this weekend, I saw the early shoots of my crocus and even just eensy weensy nubs of hosta coming around. It won't be long now!

Thanks Mary! :flowers:

Work today wasn't great. We're having some staffing issues and those remaining are getting to the 'better laugh or I'll cry' stage. Had some truely miserable customers in too, but then I had to sort out a prescription for someone, and the lady at the health centre was amazingly refreshingly helpful. Not a surgery we normally deal with as it is further away, but was very impressed (and did let her bosses know I was impressed!)

Busy day tomorrow, then only half day work Saturday. Especially looking forward to my weekend this week!

Still in some pain from my side. Last night I managed to sleep a little better, but then my side made up for it and hurt when I got up - normally don't feel it when I'm standing/sitting :(

Normally when Pip moves it is kicks and wriggles that I feel, but today was sitting at lunch with my hands on my tummy and could feel gentle moving just below the skin. Was a great feeling. It was where the head is at the moment, and felt a bit like it was just turning its head gently. Made me smile a lot.

Holly's trip to visit Kathie sounds great! Looking forward to hearing the suggestion for above the bath :spoton:

Mary, your refit sounds very exciting! Do you get to choose any of the colours or will it be painted in neutrals? I'm glad you get to stay nearby in your own little place while they do it. And an excellent reason (apart from health) to have a go at giving up smoking :)

The first shoots of spring are coming up here, can't wait for the snow drops! Saw a little bunch from the car the other day, but when they really get going I'm going there's a great bank of them not too far away, so I'll go visit that.

Well holly & DH are in Mossy Head, MS this AM. We stopped in Marianna, FL, for breakfast, then in Crestview to shop our favorite thrift store there, then stopped off in Robertsdale, AL, and hit another thrift store before meeting up with our internet realtor to have her show us a house she had sent us email info about; it was cute, but a foreclosure and needs 'way too much work to try to live in until the year's wait out for the original owner to show up to buy it back (AL has "right of redemption" law for its foreclosures). She's gathering some more of her listings while we visit the Bennetts to show us on our way back.

I normally despise motels, but since they started adding wi-fi it makes up for the beds being unsleepable!

Kathie, I can't wait to show you what I found for you yesterday!