What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Well now that the bank has accepted our offer I guess I should give everyone a heads up that I shall be disappearing after a while, while we are moving to a new house in another state; not for a couple of months yet, but doing a lot of back & forth.

Well now that the bank has accepted our offer I guess I should give everyone a heads up that I shall be disappearing after a while, while we are moving to a new house in another state; not for a couple of months yet, but doing a lot of back & forth.

WooHooo! Congratulations to Holly ... and to me. This means that soon Holly will be closer to me! <happy dancing>

Tracy, the house is about 1/4 mile on the AL side of where the River Styx and the Perdido Riivers come together, within spitting distances of Pensacola & Mobile. It'll definitely make attending the Panhandle Trace Hike a lot easier.

Actually, since we're naming the house Two Obols I might become Persephone (since we'll be living across the River Styx, how could I resist?). We spent the day running errands to get ready for the move (a top for the truck bed so we can use it to move furniture, f'rinstance).

Actually, since we're naming the house Two Obols I might become Persephone (since we'll be living across the River Styx, how could I resist?). We spent the day running errands to get ready for the move (a top for the truck bed so we can use it to move furniture, f'rinstance).

Obols? Intriguing. Care to elucidate? A Google search turned up everything from a cereal bowl to a computer language without getting anywhere near mythology.

Check Wikipedia! DH printed off the entry.

The custom in Ancient Greece was to place an obol (small coin) in the deceased's mouth so s/he could pay Charon's fare for getting ferried across the River Styx to Hades to avoid hanging around haunting the living and otherwise being a nuisance. Later on people used to put coins on the deceased's eyes to keep them closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's about 90 degrees in Atlanta today. Our AC and heat have been broken for about 2 months now. Made for some fun times when it would be 80 in the day and 40's at night. Well, even with window AC it is 85+ in the house, I'm about tired of this. We ordered what we hope is the part to fix it, and my husband is in the attic now trying to fix it. Keep your fingers crossed, but I don't think it's going too well. :(

Thanks Sarah and Kathie! Good news, it is fixed!! :) It took him about 3 hours, up in that hot attic, bless his heart. For a while it wasn't so bad, because I am cold natured, and it was kinda nice having the windows open and fresh air (we don't do that much here). Also our power bill will be nice. But, when the food starts melting, it's too hot. This week has been the hottest, in the 90's. Yuck

Bad thing is that the part we bought didn't fix it, all along it was just a short in a cable. We didn't do very much troubleshooting before buying the part. At least we got it online this time, and paid less than half of what the appliance store charges.

It's down to 80 now, and I'm about ready to put on my jacket...

Nothing today. I was using my dremel to add a frosted diamond pattern to the Tudor kitchen's ceiling light panel over the past few days, but I caught a stomach bug last night and just got back from the ER, so the drugs are keeping my a bit too foggy to focus on DH details.

If I get back on schedule within the next few days I could have the first 2 floors of the Tudor done by the end of the year.

Jeremy, sure hope you feel better soon!

Right now I'm at Lawson's WAVE concert. For those of you who don't know, one of my sons if involved in a group that does sign language to music. Really awesome stuff actually. They have a concert tonight, and they are expecting some deaf people to come, so that will be neat. We all got a small crash course in sign language so we can communicate with them, how are you, my name is, nice to meet you. This has been a lot of fun being involved in this with him. I just wish I wasn't having allergy attacks today and an hour away from home, on a school night at that...

Today Lawson and I went to downtown Atlanta for Herman Cain's Presidential Announcement Rally. So much fun! That's such a neat unique thing to be able to witness, and I'm so glad Lawson went with me. And the neatest thing is, we got to be a volunteer and help sell merchandise. It was so neat being right in the middle of that, and a great experience for Lawson. Oh, and we saw his History teacher there too! 2,000 people, 5 tables (and I swear every one of those people came to my table at least once!), and I happen to be the one to help his teacher and recognize his name. (I told Lawson he should have asked for extra credit!)

Also, one other cool thing, Mr. Cain actually lives right around the corner from where I live, technically a different city, but I live right on the outskirts of the next town. His campaign office is right there by his house too, literally 5 minutes from my house. We got to tour the office yesterday, that was neat too. Can't wait to go back, and hopefully we can continue to volunteer, and maybe even meet him soon!

Lawson is so excited. I'll admit I'm pretty excited too, but I'm really just so glad that I am able to give him this experience. I mean, most 15 year olds wouldn't even care, and how cool is it that he can say he's from his home town? Oh, and one of my best friends from school that I still talk to, works for him, so she's going to try real hard to get Lawson to meet him (and sign his yearbook - Mr. Cain is actually in it!).

I don't watch TV, so I'm not familiar with that show. I'll have to look it up and see what it is.

Today Lawson and I went to downtown Atlanta for Herman Cain's Presidential Announcement Rally.

2,000 people, 5 tables (and I swear every one of those people came to my table at least once!),

Okay, so I'm hearing now that there were 15,000 people! No wonder we were so busy at the merch table!! I'm not sure of the official number, everyone has a different one, but there were a bunch...

Well we jumped through some more hoops today, but it looks like we'll be headed back to AL next week to close on the new house. I'm making draperies for the big tower bay in Mildred's parlor. The rehab is going so very slowly.

We did the last minute running around today, like getting a haircut, turning in the cable box so we don't have to pay for the 6 months that we'll be in Missouri, getting the car washed. We packed, too, separate suitcases for Atlanta, France, and the trip back to Missouri as well as organizing food and other supplies for JoJo-the-Chihuahua's stay at my niece's boarding kennel near Atlanta. What a logistical challenge! We leave in the morning for Atlanta.

Last Saturday Lloyd and I went to the IMA miniature show in New Orleans. It was a real treat to see the beautiful work of the talented artisans. Lloyd especially enjoyed chatting with the potters. I managed to keep within my budget, yet came away with 3 ceramic pieces (including a soup tureen with lid and ladle), a couple of mini geodes (no more than1/4" in diameter, beautifully cut and polished), and a couple of religious paintings by a local (French Quarter) nun as well as a handful of business cards for folks I'll want to contact later. One of the exhibitors has an LED fireplace unit that flickers wthout making all of the bulbs in the house flicker. He's also the fellow with the ceiling fans/lights that work; one on display was remote controlled. Lloyd liked that one. :thumb: I'd tell you his name, but the cards are packed.

Edit: his card was in my wallet. Carl R Sahiberg doing business as Creative Reproductions 2 Scale

Our prayers go out to the folks in Joplin, MO, who experienced that awful tornado yesterday. We've had a lot of calls from friends and relatives asking how we fared, not knowing we are in New Orleans. As it is, Joplin is about 170 miles SW of Marshall, where our house is. There were tornado warnings in the the town but no touchdowns; there were two or three touchdowns in the surrounding county, but no damage.

Wow Holly, that was fast on your house! Will y'all be moving right away?

Kathie!! You didn't tell me y'all were heading to Atlanta!! It sounds likes a busy schedule, but my offer still stands to come by and see the BH. Sadly, it's still in just about the same (unfinished) exterior shape it was in in the fall... Let me know if you'll have a second, would love to see you. You know, I'm only about 20 minutes from the airport...

Glad everything was okay at your house in MO, my prayers also go out to those who were affected.

I think Nutti used to live in Jopin! Prayers going out from our house to all the folks who have losses from these storms.

Tracy, in all the moves we've made over the years we have NEVER had a house purchase go so smoothly or quickly. But I have also learned over the years that when something is right, it does go smoothly. I hate moving out of Florida, but Seminole is so close to Pensacola it's practically a suburb.

After all the running back & forth we took bike & trike down to St Mark's and rode the trail up & back, the first time in several months, so I only got about 7 miles each direction before pooping out.