What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

My dream for years has been to move back to the southwest, but DH doesn't feel like it.

My 20 yr old son's cancer surgery went even better than his surgeon expected, everything looks pretty good. During the 3 days in Boston my feet were so swollen from the stress I couldn't stand to wear shoes. DS is recovering nicely, feels much better than he did last time. My feet went back to normal the day we got back.

My oldest son told us his wife wanted a divorce the day after we were told that his brother's cancer was back. My daughter called a few weeks later to say that her husband wanted a divorce too. He felt he needed more freedom - the cad.

I went to see the doctor because my ear was clogged with earwax and found out I had diabetes and high blood pressure. An ekg showed that I'd had a heart attack, and I was sent to a cardiologist. Another ekg also showed sign of a heart attack, but an echocardiogram showed my heart as being fine. the cardiologist said there's no need for me to see her again. Goodie for that, anyway.

Meanwhile, I've lost @20 pounds during all this - without even trying. It's just that not very many things taste good enough to eat. The blood pressure meds were making me intensley cold & sleepy, but I started feeling a bit better this week. I'm just chilly - not freezing.

BTW, I was DH's dietician when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes @ 10 yrs ago, so I know all the ins and outs. I've discovered that i can eat pizza and tacos with no sugar spikes, which is nice. I'd miss them.

Oh Grazhina, what a time you've had of it! I'm delighted to hear that your son's surgery went well and that it's looking good for him. It's sorrowful to watch a child go thru a divorce but to have two at once must be heartbreaking for you. I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a heart attack but oh so glad that the doctors caught the evidence of it so they can prevent it from happening again. Bruce had the same problem adjusting to the meds and being sluggish and cold all the time. It took a little time and he stopped feeling sluggish but he's still cold most of the time which is why he's so happy with moving to AZ. (keep working on your DH about that----we'll leave the light on for you). I'll keep you close in my thoughts as you and your family go thru this especially difficult time.

Wow, you certainly have been through it lately. I'm so sorry that you have had all this on your plate. Hugs and prayers for a complete recovery for your son and for you and who knows, maybe those marriages will heal too !!! Meantime, take REALLY good care of yourself. It sounds like you are the glue that is holding this bunch together right now. Take some "me" time so you can relax and heal.

Sorry about the washing machine, Deb! Why can't these appliances just come with a black flag that pops up and says - I'll be Dead Tomorrow Afternoon at 3:00!- so we don't get them loaded and ready to go before we know they won't go??? Like the microwave that dies just as you're getting something ready for a meal - the washing machine full of water and clothes - the dryer full of wet laundry. Without Grandma's clothesline, what do you do with a pile of wet clothes??

My cars tend to break down when the gas tank is full.

• Like 2

Grazhina,

I can't express strongly enough how impressed I am with your amazing attitude. You have too much happening to smile through it all, no doubt, but I sure hear you making a 1000% effort. Bless you! I very much hope this is all a part of things getting 'darkest before the dawn' for you. To begin, things going this well for your son and you getting medical help through other medical issues. I wish you all the very best and will keep you in my prayers.

Morgan

Grazhe, I'm still waiting to hear from DS#1 that this marriage has bellied up like his first one (different sife dynamic, so maybe not...). Hoorah for the other son having his surgery behind him. It's still a not nice way to lose 20#.

...Why can't these appliances just come with a black flag that pops up and says - I'll be Dead Tomorrow Afternoon at 3:00!...

Like in the commercial where the person gets the Post-It note advising of the oncoming heart attack?

...Holly, your trip sounds like a lot of fun. I always love hearing about your travels and what you've seen and done along the way. You and your DH definitely know how to make the most of any trip and do things that constantly teach you something new...

More years ago than I can remember I began making my annual New Year's resolution to learn at least one new thing that year. I find that there are new things to learn about everywhere, every day.

A couple of weeks ago I got to go to a dermatologist to learn that the blotch on my faace I always though was leftover pregnancy mask has developed old lady skin tags and nothing malignant (new changes since the first of the year is whata had our doctor refer me). Today we went to another dermatologist for the spot on DH's little bald head that he had scraped and wasn't healing properly. The doctor spritzed it with a little liquid nitrogen and we expect it to finish healing in a couple of weeks. Then it was time to hit the grocery store and they are in the process of moving everything around. I keep telling them they need to hand us maps of this week's new locations!

• Like 1

Grazhina, you sure do have more on your plate at one time than anyone should have over a lifetime! Thank goodness you did not have a heart attack, but it appears that there are other things either brewing or existing that need taking care of. I'm so glad to hear that your son's surgery went well and had such a positive outcome... now it's time for you to take care of yourself -- past time, I think! If bad things come in threes, that's it! Just stop right there and count 'em! Two divorces on the horizon plus your medical problems (no doubt you realize that even without having had a heart attack, diabetes and high blood pressure can be life threatening) makes three. That's it. Stop right there! Selkie said it first... you are the glue holding it all together -- your family, I mean. if anything should happen to you, it may well all fall apart.

So... my point is that you have to start taking care of yourself -- right now -- this minute -- you have to come first and with everything that's going on around you, only you can do this. I'm sure that everyone else cares but they're naturally all too wrapped up in their own problems, so it's up to you!

We need you here, my friend, so take care of yourself!!!

Goodness! Lots of bad things happening to folks here. My heart goes out to all of you!

We made it to Ron's in Orlando and had a good time there. I think L took some photos of the outside, but I didn't take any inside. Too busy looking! I ended up buying two unfinished Bespaq pieces and a teensy lasercut birdcage for the Beacon Hill. Put more of a dent in my wallet than I'd planned, but both pieces hollered at me very loudly! If I had to compare Ron's with the Miniature Cottage in Nashville, they'd run neck and neck. Both have beaucoup items, both supplies and finished as well as wonderful exhibit pieces.

We're in Stuart, Florida, today with a college buddy of mine. Had hoped to visit with Gina up in Port St Lucie, but that wasn't to be, alas. Tomorrow Delray Beach with one of L's cousins, then on Saturday Miami. Sunday we fly to Cuba for a week. With very limited internet In Cuba, won't be back on line until we get back.

• Like 1

Very good to know, Kathie, that the Miniature Cottage in Nashville is on a par with Ron's! That will definitely give me a trip to look forward to, and there are many other things that my kids would enjoy seeing there as well, so we might just make a weekend of it.

I think your ability to take pictures in Cuba will be severely limited or compromised at best, unless the images have already been very carefully chosen for you, so don't be too disappointed on that account. I/we look forward immensely to hearing about all your adventures when you return!!!

You just might think of tucking away your current camera card and start a fresh one for the Cuba trip. That way if it got confiscated, you wouldn't loose all your current pictures. I have no idea how strict they are but I've heard of film and cards being removed from cameras before.

DH passed his testing and now has his CDL and will start his ride along training on the 9th....super proud of him going to school and

doing something he has always wanted to do....

the new baby is such a sweetie...we dont get to see him often enough...they live an hour away with his parents...awkward....

Maricopa is slightly closer to them Deb...lol....and after being born and raised and lived all my life in Missouri....with many vacations to Florida I can say

I AM A DESERT RAT! lol....not having grass doesnt bother me...we dont have to mow....we like cactus of all varieties....in Mo we ran the ac non stop....I was never cool....we are just now using the ac...in the afternoon and into the night I turn it off when I go to bed and than we dont turn it on till after the kids afternoon swim bout 4....we also have solar panels on the house to help with our usage....we only have the one tree...but our front porch is about 8 feet wide and the patio is about 12...we get lots of light but nothing direct! DH wants to look into bigger house now that our son is also joining us....going to try one more time to do the right thing by these babies...hoping to get him into a trade school of some kind....like I wanted to when he was young(sigh)

Dean hated giving up his room so Amanda could have it...

.it was so sweet to watch the kids blossom when mom finally got her own room and so did they....another move will get them each a room of their own...which is immediately what miss Pixie moaned about when she realized just mom moved LOL....gotta love these guys!!

I have reached the end of my sorting and organizing my caft room is complete...... I want to start a project and I cant decide which to begin....

we have a tye dye party coming up and going to make some sheets to use a curtains and tapestry's for the house.....gonna do some for my patio....

huggz all...keep on keepin on! :bear::banana:

• Like 3

When it rains it pours, Grazhina. That is way too much stress for anyone.

Nutti,

My mom went to trucking school (something she had wanted to do for decades) when I was in high school. She was already going gray, so everyone in her class called her "Aunt Bee". She hated that, but got her revenge when she graduated top of her class. She retired after a work related injury a couple of years ago, but she was an OTR driver for 20 years.

I have been entertaining my wife's idea of going back to school to get an LPN certification or an ASN. Not the kind of work I would like to do, but it would be more profitable and mobile than the work I have been doing. Also more important than making a few rich lawyers richer. All I have to do is figure out a way to work full time and attend school full time with 3 young kids to raise. . .

• Like 1

DH passed his testing and now has his CDL and will start his ride along training on the 9th....super proud of him going to school and

Wow, tell your hubs Congrats from me. We have a friend who is a long haul trucker and it's quite a huge responsibility from what I hear from his stories. As consumers, we often don't think about those who bring the products from "there" to our local store or doorstep. Truckers are a mainstay of moving product. We should all thank them for the sacrifice of being away from their families so much to keep this country moving.

Heck of a way to diet!

Good one, Gloria! - if only my clothes fit looser, but they feel about the same. :borg:

Just found out the window in my studio above the garage is about to fall out. The carpenter ants chewed up the frame so much that it's barely staying in the wall. The carpenter is coming back on Monday to fix it. Meanwhile he's looking around for a new front door with sidelights for us. We replaced our front door about 7 or 8 years ago, because the frame had rotted. This door's frame has rotted too. We need $300 worth of wood and it's very involved to repair that the carpenter says it's crazy but it might be cheaper to just buy a whole new door. --- fun and games :banana:

Planned obsolescence at its finest! Never happened years ago when you could count on things to last -- not to mention, who ever heard of "Made in China"? Made in the USA was standard, as was getting your money's worth from a product!

• Like 1

CJ, it would have been sooooooooo helpful if that washer had sent up a flag before dying because of course, it stopped just as the tub had filled up on the large load setting. I bailed out most of the water and the guys who picked it up yesterday told me they love me so that made it worthwhile. LOL! The new washer is all hooked up and I rewashed the load that was interrupted so today I can strip the bed and do the whites. Yay!

Thanks, Deb, but I didn't have the heart attack. It seems my heart's configuration makes it LOOK like I had a heart attack - but I didn't.

Oh good! That's even better news altho you probably felt like kicking someone for putting you thru a scare like that. I know how that feels (last year they told me they'd found an aortic aneurysm and rushed me thru a ct scan in panic mode only to find out that it's just my body growing another lump of bone somewhere it shouldn't). The bright side to things like that is that it does make you feel a little more confident that at least your doctors are catching things that look abnormal. But I am truly doubly happy that you didn't have a silent heart attack.

the new baby is such a sweetie...we dont get to see him often enough...they live an hour away with his parents...awkward....

Yay for Dean!!!! Give him a great big hug for me too because not only is it an accomplishment to get his CDL, but it takes a lot of courage to follow your dreams at our age and he's an inspiration for doing it and succeeding. <grinning> Tracy was asking me the other day if Maricopa would be closer to your daughter coz she knows you so well. Bruce's office is in the general vicinity of Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd so he's in the area of where they live and it only takes him 30 minutes to get from there to Maricopa. (The other 15 minutes of his drive are because our HOA is the very last one on the east side of town.) Closer is good!!

after being born and raised and lived all my life in Missouri....with many vacations to Florida I can say

I AM A DESERT RAT! lol....

<laughing loud enough to scare the cats> Nutti, it's no wonder I love you so. You're just amazingly wonderful with your outlook on life. My parents left Missouri when I was two months old to move out here and while my Dad loved the Ozarks and went back for as many visits as he could, he always said that once you'd been vaccinated by a cactus needle, the desert got into your bloodstream and became home.

BTW, for those who have never seen one, this is what a desert (or kangaroo) rat looks like:

kangaroo-rat3.jpg

Aren't we just the cutest little things! Rough, tough, able to exist on almost nothing at all, and still capable of being totally adorable!

Jeremy, you're also an amazingly adaptive person and I know you'll find a way to make it all work out. I'm not sure what the nursing situation is there, but in Denver they were so desperate for nurses that some of the big hospitals were offering a year's salary as a five year sign on bonus even for people still in school. They wanted to find long term commitments and it was a sweet deal for those who were serious about it. It's just a thought, but you might check around with some of the hospitals in the area or at the nursing schools to see if anyone is offering sign on bonuses that might help you achieve your goal. (and I cheered out loud when you said that you'd rather help people than make rich lawyers richer. Good for you! Your kids are lucky to have a father who sets that kind of example for them.)

• Like 1

I was, as I have posted elsewhere, 50 when I finally attended Nursing School. I did my hospital work for nearly a year after finishing, BUT the nicde thing is that one doesn't have to stay there! And for a RN (I was ASN) with legal background you can write your own ticket! At least talk to the folks at ACC to see what they can work out for you, Jeremy.

Planned obsolescence at its finest! Never happened years ago when you could count on things to last -- not to mention, who ever heard of "Made in China"? Made in the USA was standard, as was getting your money's worth from a product!

Planned obsolescence has been a favorite topic of mine for a very long time. Right along with 'man is the master of his own demise'. That's a wonderful thing about miniatures. We get to make things how we want them. No codes or anything, just our own desire to do it right.

Wow lots has been happening for everyone lately, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who's having a tough time.

I've been quiet lately as due to the swelling in my brain from the septic shock I have some cognitive and short term memory issues so am unable to work on my houses at the moment... I get frustrated at my current inability so am trying to find new easy things to do. I'm waiting for a neurophysiological (not spelt right but can't work it out) assessment and once that's done I'll be able to get the right help. I also found out at my surgeons appt this week that I have an incisional hernia but they can't operate on it yet as my stomach needs to heal more and soften up. On the plus side they'll fix up my current scar etc when they do the op as they have to do it as an open procedure ... I asked if they could give me back my belly button he laughed and said they could try (finding out I didn't have a belly button anymore was very disconcerting).

I'm also shedding hair by the handful and am lucky I typically have thick hair or I'd have visible bald patches.physically I am getting stronger and I can now walk 200 metres unaided!

So I haven't been ignoring you lovely people I've just been trying to adapt to life as it is at the moment for me. Also I know what I want to say but it often comes out scrambled.

• Like 1