What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I am still playing catch up from being away last week. Trying to do some outside work in between a bunch of incredibly violent thunder storms we keep having. I never saw so much rain out here! I will be thankful because we didnt' get nearly enough for the past 2 years. My flowers in their pots are doing the backstroke!

• Like 1

Selkie, sorry you have to do it twice, but glad you have a plan in place now. :)

Well... Today's meeting wasn't quite what everyone had hoped for. We got all the restructure plans, but no names attached yet. Most everyone was hoping to get their school assignments, since school starts in just 2 weeks now. As it is, those will be revealed July 28, with things not taking effect until a couple weeks into the school year. That is a bad idea, but no one asked me. Oh well, it will be okay. Part of the reason is because of the vacancies left yesterday, so some things will be scrambled around. Hopefully HR will give us an answer soon on whether people can be moved within. There has been interviews in the last 6 months for both positions, so it can be justified. And if my husband can get that position, he will work 5 days a week instead of 4, which would be awesome. Otherwise same position. He is very stressed about the restructure changes, I'm not entirely sure. It'll be interesting, we'll just have to see how it all works out.

On another note, Lawson had a WAVE performance tonight. :) Those always make me happy and proud. This was a small one, for a women's Bible study group. But the best part was that my best friend from work was there! I didn't even know who we were performing for, so that was a nice surprise. And I had been wanting her to see him for so many years, and trying to work out getting them in her church. I'm pretty positive now they will be invited there now. Yay!

• Like 3

Selkie,I know you have mixed feelings about having to go through the recovery twice,but in the end I know it will be wonderful! And you are right,my mammogram and ultrasound are Friday. The good news is I get a 3 day weekend because of it! (Makin' lemonade out of this lemon!)

Tracy,I hope things work out well for y'all's jobs. And what a fun coincidence that your friend finally got to see Lawson and co. perform!

Roxy,stay safe and don't get out in it if you don't have to,girl!!

• Like 2

Selkie, I know that two recoveries sounds daunting, but if you had both knees replaced at the same time, you would have a much harder time getting up and about. I think the idea is to have one good leg to use while the other knee recovers. I wish you didn't have to go through with it, but the one thing I remember nearly every knee patient telling me was that right after their surgery they weren't happy, but within a week they wished they had done it 10 or more years sooner. They felt like they had a new pair of legs.

• Like 2

That's true. I had major knee surgery back in 2007 and now my bad leg is my best leg. Should've done it years before I did. Glad you have it scheduled, Selkie.

Kat, I am thinking of you and hoping tomorrow goes very, very well. I will be offline this weekend and so won't be able to check in, but do update us with a post when you can. :console:

• Like 2

Selkie, I know that two recoveries sounds daunting, but if you had both knees replaced at the same time, you would have a much harder time getting up and about. I think the idea is to have one good leg to use while the other knee recovers.

<nodding in agreement> When I asked my hand surgeon why they wouldn't be able to do both hands at once he replied, "Because you probably want at least one good hand at a time to be able to wipe your butt". Crude, but it got the point across. It's the same with knees.........you want one good one at a time so you can still get around during your recovery time instead of being stuck in bed without a leg to stand on. I'm so sorry that you have to go thru it twice but from what I understand, it's gotten to be a much easier recovery with tremendously successful results. My MIL had her hip replaced a few years ago and within just a few weeks, she was back out on the dance floor. We'll be here to hold your hand thru the whole recovery and we'll entertain you and tell you stories and do everything we can to take your mind off of things. I'd rather you didn't have to have surgery at all but if it must be then I know you'll come thru it with flying colors and be up dancing in no time! Love will help you heal and we sure have lots of love for you!

• Like 2

<nodding in agreement> When I asked my hand surgeon why they wouldn't be able to do both hands at once he replied, "Because you probably want at least one good hand at a time to be able to wipe your butt".

HAHAHAHA!!!

Selkie, I forgot to mention this but depending on your bathroom arrangement you might want to get a walker or something to help you pull yourself up after utilizing the facilities. My commode room is very narrow so I was able to sort of brace myself using the walls, but my other knee did have a lot of stress on it from being the only useable one for a while. Now it does the Rice Krispy thing (snap, crackle, pop). It's loud, but doesn't hurt. But still. Whatever you can do to make it easier on yourself is a good idea.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I really appreciate your TLC.

My DH had both his knees done at the same time so I was aware of how his was and I was just hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I have all the equipment we had for him saved in the attic so I should be good. Plus we redid our toilets to the higher, old folks ones a couple years ago so that will help too.

Hate anesthesia - really that is the thing I'm the most of afraid of - really afraid of anesthesia.

I had a double knee replacement scheduled for the summer of 2007 but had to cancel it due to my little ones. So I was ready then and have been suffering along until they got old enough to be without me for the length of time it will take. They are terrified that I am going to die and they'll be alone again. So, I thought one trip through would be simpler all the way around. But they feel I'm too high risk now because of waiting too long and my breathing issues, etc.

Deb, I had the same hand remark when I was having one of my 5 hand surgeries. I was trying to speed it up one time and they said the same thing to me. They must learn that mantra in med school.

Both my dad and brother in law had their hips replaced with an epidural instead of a general anasthetic. Maybe that would be an option for you too and that might let you worry less.

• Like 1

I asked about that. They are going to look into whether it's an option. It might be better for the breathing issues I have as well. We'll see.

• Like 1

Deb, I had the same hand remark when I was having one of my 5 hand surgeries. I was trying to speed it up one time and they said the same thing to me. They must learn that mantra in med school.

Wherever they learned it, it's effective. I've never asked to have both done at the same time again! LOL! My heart is with you dearest Selkie. This is a very apprehensive time for you and for the kids as well. I know we're not supposed to be given more than we have the strength to handle, but sometimes I have to wonder just how strong we have to be and why we need to keep proving it over and over. However, you're one of the strongest people I know and you'll get thru this too.

I'm weepy today. The tree trimmers just left and this is what remains of my beautiful mesquite tree.

post-329-0-32642400-1405619254_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately bugs had gotten deep into the core so it had to be cut down to the very heart of the tree and they'll come back with insecticide to inject into it before they seal the wounds. It's iffy about whether or not it'll make it but we're giving it our best try. The guy who did the work passed my inspection right away when he agreed with me that trees are living things with their own kinds of "souls" and he understood my attachment so he did everything he could. Now we just wait and see.

• Like 3

And if my husband can get that position, he will work 5 days a week instead of 4, which would be awesome. Otherwise same position. He is very stressed about the restructure changes, I'm not entirely sure. It'll be interesting, we'll just have to see how it all works out.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. It's so hard to be stuck in limbo like this. I think it might even define the word "frustrating".

I forgot to tell y'all about the monster in my front yard. Thank goodness I don't go in the front yard very often. I make Bruce go out there and do stuff for me coz we have things like alligator lizards and snakes in the rosemary bushes. I saw one right outside the front door for the first time yesterday and it actually startled me into cussing in three languages (English, Hillbilly, and Redneck----I speak all three fluently). Anyway, that thing is HUGE. It makes Lizardzilla look petite. It could also explain what happened to Lizardzilla since this thing looks fairly mature. Alligator lizards have that ugly snout and the folds of skin around their necks like iguanas so they don't have anything remotely cute about them. While they're not toxic, they do bite if they feel threatened and they'll eventually eat up the other lizard populations so that's why I'm not overjoyed about seeing the big one in the front yard and a couple of smaller ones coming out of hiding under the gravel in the backyard when they were trimming the tree. There was even a battle between one and a whiptail on the back fence that I went out and broke up when it looked like the whiptail was getting his tail kicked......and bitten.

As long as I was out there I decided to lecture the lizards about not eating all the bugs that got into the tree. Oh, it was an inspiring speech about how the tree looks now and the way they could have protected the tree in its hour of need if they'd been more diligent in their job of eating bugs. I was just certain that all the lizards would be motivated and even the babies would rush out to defend their tree, but all they did was sit there and do pushups in my general direction. Then it hit me. They can't listen to me because they don't have ears. How thoughtless of me. And how utterly entertaining to the neighbors if they saw me standing there giving an impassioned speech to a brick wall. <snickering> If y'all don't hear from me for awhile you'll know it's because the neighbors called me in as a lunatic.

• Like 3

This afternoon we had our first call on Skype. Lookie at us, catching up with the young 'uns at last. :D Woo hoo!

The call was from a producer of the Genealogy Road Show program. They're focusing on New Orleans for season two. We submitted a particularly sturdy brick wall challenge in an on-line application that got their attention enough to move us on to step two, the Skype interview. After the interview ended, the producer said to look for further contact. It wasn't exactly a "don't call us, we'll call you" message, and she did give us her email and phone number if we have any questions. They must have a ton of applicants to sort through, but here's hoping!

Anybody here use Skype? It was fun and easy and certainly could be habit forming!

• Like 1

When I asked my hand surgeon why they wouldn't be able to do both hands at once he replied, "Because you probably want at least one good hand at a time to be able to wipe your butt".

LOL. A friend of the family, Maxine, is an older, no-nonsense widow from our congregation who refers to me as her "white baby". In 1997 , literally the day after getting discharged from a 5 day hospital stay that she drove me to, I was sandwiched between to cars while riding my bicycle. The bike was fine, but I broke my left arm. When I got home from the E.R., she called me and said she was going break my other arm in the morning so I wouldn't be able to "wipe my backside without asking for help".

• Like 2

I am very excited! I am staying with a dear friend in Cape Cod the week of the 18th (August). It will mean leaving my minis for A WHOLE WEEK, but how can I pass up this lovely vacation offer? The house is on the beach :surfing:

• Like 4

Heidi,I will be sending you the same positive thoughts,dear lady-I sure know how hard the waiting is! I hope we come out feeling silly and giddy,that it's all just a big fat nuthin' for both of us. :) But I have also been thinking that I am so grateful for modern medicine-with it's flaws and all,for sure-that gives anyone a fighting chance,if it becomes necessary. Thanx for the kind thoughts from you all that have carried me this far!

Jeremy,I needed a great big belly laugh! :D

Deb,I thought of you today:At work as I hosed off my boss lady's front porch,a tiny baby lizard scuttered away for dry land. He had a dark/black background with what looked like multi colored thin stripes runnning the length of him. I've seen baby anoles,but not sure what this one was,except verrry quick! :)

Kathy,good luck with the next step-hope you get a call soon! And Skype sounds so cool!

Cheverely,I'll miss your posts,but have fun at your mini retreat! Come back soon and tell us all about it! :)

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow and I will keep my mind calm by daydreaming of dollhouses!! :D

Edited by kat57
  • Like 2

My old cocker Rags, died peacefully overnight. She was 14+ and had been failing this summer. The house is a little empty this morning and her buddy (Babe the border collie)is grieving with me.

My old cocker Rags, died peacefully overnight. She was 14+ and had been failing this summer. The house is a little empty this morning and her buddy (Babe the border collie)is grieving with me.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend :console:

• Like 1

So sorry to hear of your loss,Gloria. She had a pretty long life-what sweet memories I bet she gave you. You and Babe get in some extra cuddles together and I hope your heartache eases soon,dear lady.

Well,wish me luck today as I go and get a part of me squished into all sorts of uncomfortable positions to check out this hellish little lump that has invaded me!Ugh!

• Like 3

Gloria, I'm sorry to hear about your sweet little Rags. It's truly the loss of a family member and my heart is with you. I don't know if you want to do it or not, but we have a Memorial gallery for our furbabies here on the forum. Look for the Rainbow Bridge album in the Off Topic Gallery and if you feel comfortable with doing it, you can add Rags' picture there. Dean started that album for us a long time ago because our furbabies are as much a part of the forum family as their human companions and we all share the grief when one crosses the Bridge. It's a nice little place to create a small memorial and know that others will see and help you remember.

I foolishly decided to take advantage of a cooler-than-usual morning (it was only 80 at five am!) and do some yard work to put things back to rights after the tree trimming yesterday. The mesquite was home to lots of wind chimes and bird feeders as well as shading lots of planters underneath it so all of those things were moved while they worked and now I'm trying to recreate some equilibrium again. With the monsoon rains the weeds have been coming up like crazy in the gravel so I started off with spraying them. (Thank goodness for whoever invented those battery operated wands on bottles of weed killer!) After that I watered everything, cut off some sucker branches at the bottom of one of the olive trees, refilled the bird feeders and figured out where to hang them without a tree and then put a couple of wind chimes back on the remaining branches of the mesquite. I was heavily influenced by the Berkeley study in the 70s about plants responding to sounds so the wind chimes will help the tree heal and grow. The bird feeders will help too since the little yellow-rumped warblers hang out with the finches and they'll attack the bugs in the tree. It's been sort of funny in a sad way to watch the birds come winging into the yard and try to slam on the brakes in mid-air because there's no tree to land on. But anyway, I did too much too early and am paying for it now. My back and hips feel like I've been beaten soundly with a baseball bat.

However, after I got things back into some sense of normal I sat on the patio to catch my breath and rest a bit......and little Spike came out to join me. He doesn't know how special he is since I usually run them off the patio but he's such a cool and laid back little fellow who keeps a polite distance that we get along. He's growing too and is almost an inch and a half long now! One of the next things on my list today is to scatter moth ball crystals all around the patio edge to keep the snake and alligator lizards out of that space which will create an even safer location for Spike and any of his clutch-mates who might still be there too. There are certainly plenty of bugs for him to eat on the patio so he could live there and never set talons into the yard if he wants.

<checking my list> Since I'm already in so much pain I might as well get groceries knocked out (why hurt a lot on two days if you can manage to grit your teeth and get all the painful stuff done in one day). I've added cornmeal to the list to scatter around the ant hills which are soooooooo out of control after the rain. I know that some people say the cornmeal trick is a myth, but it sure worked to get rid of ants in my yard in Denver. It's too small for the birds to eat so it doesn't hurt anything but the ants. I'll get some poison bait granules for them as well which have a more long-term and lasting effect, but the cornmeal will start thinning them out enough to get a head start.

• Like 1