What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

My husband's boss gave him a bushel of golden delicious for Christmas, so used about 15 of those and 5 macs. We get these every year, and I don't want to waste them. Think I will reduce the sugar more in the next batch.

NEXT BATCH! What am I thinking??!!

Edited by Debra from Olde Cape Cod

Today was a cleaning day. I did so much puttering that I tired myself out for cooking. Hopefully somebody will step in and do it for me.

When this happens at our house, I declare it's a YOYO dinner day -- You're On Your Own :D

• Like 1

We just had a big Department of Defense audit at the airline. If we can get approved to provide flights for the DOD, all federal agencies will use our airline for some of the shorter legs of their flights along the East coast. If we don't get approved, NOBODY who travels for the Federal government will be allowed to fly with us. Everyone thinks it went well, but the main office in south Florida is under the microscope today and tomorrow. Unlike many other companies I have worked for, this is one of the few good ones. Although they are having money issues right now, they don't mess around when it comes to safety and following FAA regulations. They have a great management team and are working hard to fly safe. I hope they get it and do well, even if I won't be employed by them for much longer.

My contract job at the V.A. appears to have been permanently stalled. Like everything else that has been going on, a million little things are going wrong, so I haven't been able to start. First it was difficulties with getting the paperwork emailed to the company, then when it finally arrived, the net somehow converted all of the files from PDFs to JPEGs, which they couldn't open. At first I thought it was impossible for the files to convert mid-way, but it has been happening to us at work, too. There have been hiccups with the background checks (an illegal alien in south FL is using my S.S. number) and the VA police didn't fill out my paperwork for getting fingerprinted correctly. It has been over a month since I was offered the position, and I'm still hitting bizarre roadblocks. My DW thinks they are going to pull the plug any day now and give the job to someone who can get simple paperwork done without the trouble I have been encountering. She's probably right. I have been applying for other jobs for the past few days now.

Friday is my busiest day. I have to shop, pick up those apples, spot clean my friends house/keep her company (dealing with bad herniated disc..surgery eminent) and big supper for Fred. Today is his early day (6a-3p) so he gets a nice early bird special dinner every Friday. Tomorrow we have to finish painting natalie`s room cause I am sick of looking at her clutter outflow that is all over the place cause the walls have to be finished first. Oy!
I will be happy when everything is in its place.

I live about 1 hour (highway) drive away from the CT earthquakes. I cant feel them. I have a couple friends that live up that way. They are worried to say the least. There was a scientist on morning news that says there are probably more quakes because there is less ice covering the plates. We dont have fracking in CT.

Going to be cold as a bear`s buttocks tonight but we will have a warming trend of lower 40s for weekend.

• Like 1

Today Iam going to finish laundry and get the kitchen put back together yesterday was a horrible day just didnt do alot besides go see a friend. This weekend we dont have dj stuff going on but have thought of getting ahold of where we do trivia out of and have a karoke night thinking tonight if the mood strikes us but on the other hand it would be nice to have a weekend off.After everything that happened yesterday my other half bought me a new dremmel kit its awesome so I want to play with that today. I defentily have to run the vacum today with 4 dogs its horrid.

Drum roll please......Finished the apple butter last night! I have a new respect for people who make this stuff. My upper arms and back are achy this morning--LOL! Such a wimp--I let apple butter kick my butt! LOL!

attachicon.gif100_5699.JPG

Yeah. Stirring gives your arms a work out. Also dodging ploops of hot flying missiles from the pot. Looks good.

Debra, I have one word: YUM!!! Heidi, when I heard about the 'quakes on last night's news I thought of you. If you're having seismic activity in CT I wonder what's going on in SE MO (thinking of the next New Madrid earthquake that's overdue..)

• Like 1

Debra that looks heavenly! I haven't made apple butter in ages but oh, how lovely it makes the house smell!

We're heading to town today (I still love the fact that we have to "go" to town----shopping is 25 miles away in the next town over). It's a lovely drive thru the desert on a quiet two lane highway and Casa Grande is one of my very favorite towns. We're going to hit Lowes and Home Depot so Bruce can stock up on some things for his next few cigar box guitar builds and of course, I'm always scouting for mini supplies. While we're there we'll pop into Michael's and Joanns for some crafty shopping. I have an idea for a new dollhouse that's going to require a rather large component that I *think* Michael's should have. If so, there will be a big steampunk project in my very near future.

There's also some nice restaurants in Casa Grande so we'll have lunch while we're out. I'm thinking some authentic mexican food would really hit the spot today. It's going to be a big day and I'll be off my feet resting up for the next few days, but it's SO worth it to have a nice, normal day with my hubby doing some of the things we love best. It's nice when your DH shares a creative soul and we brainstorm together when we see things with potential.

DH has the contents of the coat tree spread out all over the livingoom floor and the base is almost together (with many *magic* words).

The nextdoor neighbor is doubling the size of his workshop and the cement pourers were here at the crack of dawn.

I have been out in my shop playing. Washington's attic floor is laid, the funny bumps are off of the front and back gables that form the top of the slots that hold the roof, but I'm going to be using staples generously throughout that part of the build, any way. I'm cutting 1/4" basswood strips to make interior frames for the bay panes in the kitchen and already have two of them glued together and drying in the jig. I LOVE my new cutting mat, which is twice as big as my old one (I'm keeping the old one for cutting paperdolls with the knife, since I can get more fiddly detail than with scissors). I'm nicely chilled, though, and inside to cook lunch. If I talk myself into staying in this afternoon I'll stitch some more on the medallion rug.

• Like 1

Holly, it sounds like you've had an excellent day! Playing in the workshop makes any day exceptional. So how many little birdies fell from the skies over the coat rack? (which is really, really gorgeous by the way)

We had an absolutely loverly day today. Hanging out together in harmony is one of the things that I love the most about our marriage. Before anything else, we're best friends who enjoy each other's company so days like today are the ones we savor. We had wall to wall sunshine and 75 degree weather so we could have the windows down, singing along with the stereo. The drive was excellent as always with lots of desert, mountains, giant saguaros, blooming yuccas........and a big car show in Casa Grande tomorrow had all the street rods out in full glory cruising main today. We got to see some awesome old cars all over town. Oh, and along side the highway we saw a prospector walking along with his three dogs and a pack burro. Yep, we still have those around here and they still prospect old school style.

We hit Lowes first and picked up some wood and then I wandered into the garden center. I lose all willpower in there, but came home with a trunk full of new cacti and plants. I scored some lush poppies in full bloom. They'll bloom here all the way thru June or July and give the winter backyard some beautiful pops of color. A golden barrel cactus found its way into my cart as did a bunch of assorted foliage plants in varied shades of green. Best of all was a real gem of a find in the tropical exotics.........a Kangaroo Paw and it's sensational! Hang on and lemme see if I can find a picture of one. <playing Jeopardy music while I look>

Here we go!

anigozanthos_bushballad.jpg

Pretty, huh!

Bruce talked me into getting a rolling greenhouse so my plants have a safe place to be when it gets cold and also to serve as a nursery for the starters. I lost so many plants to the freeze we had that it made sense to get one. After Lowes we hit Michael's and found all kinds of goodies there (and had a lot of fun brainstorming over this and that as we wandered thru the store considering all the possibilities), stopped to have a nice lunch and were about to head home............and then we saw Harbor Freight. <sigh> I swear our car turned into the parking lot all by itself!! Apparently we simply can't drive past that store without stopping. We meandered around there for awhile before finally heading for home. I'm really tired tonight but oh, it was *such* a good day.

• Like 2

Shopping with the hubs is one of the most fun things there is. We're headed out to a coin show tomorrow, so he's taking the grungy copper coins out of their olive oil bath they've been soaking in for the past two weeks and letting them spend a while in sudsy ammonia.

No birdies have fallen from the skies over the workshop, Deb. Although I cannot now find the acetate sheet that came with Washington 2.0 which I set aside when I made all new windows and doors, I have two packs of transparency film (I scored one of them in a thrift store) and a brand new cutting mat. Besides, all the cats in our neighborhood appear to be domestic ones, anyway.

Speaking of our feline friends, next door now has three more who at least hang out there in addition to the one I call Fluffernutter (a dark bronze and gold that appears to have some Persian); a little tabby who is very friendly and has the loudest voice I have ever hard from a cat, a sort of yellowish nondescript ginger-wannabe, and a stump-tailed tuxedo cat our youngest son named Mr Mephistopheles after the tuxedo cat in "Cats".

and a stump-tailed tuxedo cat our youngest son named Mr Mephistopheles after the tuxedo cat in "Cats".

Ah, you raised that boy well. LOL! Old Possum's Book of Cats was one of my first books too. Our two furbabies, Frankie and Deano, are tuxedo cats and they seem to like it when I recite "Jellicle Cats" for them.

Deb, he didn't inherit my violent allergies to cat dander and he fits right into his neighborhood, which is heavily populatd by cats and the people who care for them, as well as a few fur babies who have escaped domesticity.

As we will be having company over this evening I have been doing this and that, clearing up the table so that we all can sit there ;) comofortably and set the table in shade of grey with a hint of dusty rose in napkins and flowers. That is always fun and it is almost time to head out into the kitchen to start prepping the turkey breast/filet...

Hugs

• Like 1

set the table in shade of grey with a hint of dusty rose in napkins and flowers.

Anna, that sounds simply gorgeous. I adore that color combination and it would be so lovely and harmonious for a table setting. And you're making a turkey dinner? Yummy!!!!!

Holly, have fun at the coin show today!

I'm gonna go play in the dirt and make mud pies. Seriously, that's my plan for the day. Some people refer to it as gardening, but I admit that I'm in it for the dirt. hehehehehehe

• Like 1

A half bushel of apples weighs 20 lb approx. I committed to buying three bags. $5 a bag (25 cents lb)..I have 60 lbs of apples. I decided to do apple sauce, apple jelly, and some turnovers. I have all week for that. Today we finish painting and tomorrow I cook and clean my friends home. Yes, burning candle at both ends but the stuff has to be done.

post-583-0-47664800-1421522442_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A half bushel of apples weighs 20 lb approx. I committed to buying three bags. $5 a bag (25 cents lb)..I have 60 lbs of apples. I decided to do apple sauce, apple jelly, and some turnovers. I have all week for that. Today we finish painting and tomorrow I cook and clean my friends home. Yes, burning candle at both ends but the stuff has to be done.

Heidi, I've been amazed at your new avatar. That's your girls right? I didn't recognize your posts for a couple days without seeing Audrey. The apple projects sound wonderful. I love to paint rooms. It always feels so fresh and new afterwards. Hope she appreciates it. Be careful on that both ends of the candle part. Don't forget to take some time for Heidi please.

• Like 1

Natalie (21) is blue. Chelsea (25) is purple. This is a old picture. Audrey will go back up. I want to search for something different. I will have a date with a hot bubble bath later. Thank you.

Career fair at the school went well. The teacher that organized it did a phenomenal job, and I know Brennen at least got a lot out of it. The guest speaker was Herman Cain, always a treat to hear him speak. :)

Now it's about time to go back to drywall mudding. The sun is finally out so I won't feel like I'm in the dungeon while I'm sanding and mudding.

• Like 2

The coin show was surprisingly good, DH found two coins for his collection. I fell in love with a glorious netsuke I couldn't afford (naturally). When we got home I finished priming the exterior bay window frames and began to paint the interior frames. DH came out to show me how his new double dime coin completes his Centennial series and stayed to hang my pegboard for me, so whilst the paint dried I used up the package of hooks we got hanging things; I will need another package of hooks, but the difference is visible! My shop aprons are hanging on the coat tree.

• Like 3