What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

It depends whose property the leak is on. If it's condo property, the condo so solely responsible for the repairs. Is it storm drain water or sewage? If it's the later, then the Board  of Health should be called if the condo isn't fixing it.

Welcome home, Anna!

Kathie, you first posted about the leak quite a while back.  If nothing has been done about it, try the TV stations.  Our Mobile CBS affiliate station solicits exactly these types of stories to investigate and try to find solutions to problems.  I'm sure NOLA must have one as well.

• Like 1

Thank you Holly, it is GOOOOD Being home again. And I must confess to that one of the first things I did after opening the suitcases talang put the must have items Was going into the room where the lighthouse is and putting on all the lights in there and just sitting there enjoying that...

hugs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sable said:

It depends whose property the leak is on. If it's condo property, the condo so solely responsible for the repairs. Is it storm drain water or sewage? If it's the later, then the Board  of Health should be called if the condo isn't fixing it.

It's on city property, inside a city Sewerage & Water Board manhole. Definitely a city issue. It was a city crew that came out to "fix" it the last time. They came in a fairly timely manner so we didn't have the flooding issues we're dealing with now.

My sister owns this 12th century French manor in southern France. This week they found this stone path buried under years of soil and grass. So many treasures to be found in and around this time capsule.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Sable, what a wonderful dicovery! I found stepping stones buried under grass in the front yard of our Missouri home. They weren't lovely and didn't really lead anywhere, so I dug them up and used them to build a raised flower bed in the back yard.

I just spent a few hours raking leaves and blocking several parking spaces with them. With any luck at all,  complaints of reduced parking will move management to remove the leaves. Just as I was finishing with my irrigation project, one of the complex workers came by and told me he is off to get a jackhammer to blast the curbing by the leak. That should keep it from running along the sidewalk and -- what DO you call the grassy area between sidewalk and curb?-- and the lawn areas. That's going to create major flooding in the street, where the storm drains are several inches above grade, which exchanges one problem for another, but I see incremental progress. He said management has phoned and sent photos. 

I haven't heard back from any of the TV stations. I guess wasting water and creating health hazards doesn't command a high enough viewer rating.

No, an easement is a right of way. According to Wikipedia, it has many names, verge being the most recognizable to me.

road verge (also besidewalkboulevardcity grassdevil stripgovernment grasshellstripisland strip,nature stripneutral groundout lawnparking stripparkwayplanting striproad reservesidewalk buffer,tree belttree lawnutility stripverge, etc.) is a narrow strip of grass or plants and sometimes also trees located between the carriageway (roadway) curb (or road surface edge or shoulder) and the boundary of a road.

These terms seem pretty slippery. In New Orleans, neutral ground is the designation for the strip of land between the lanes of a divided road, most often called the median in other places.

I think I'll stick with hellstrip for now, at least until the mud dries out. :D

The mighty maintenance men took sledge hammer to curb in two places and, as predicted, there is a bayou forming in the street because of the ill-engineered drains, but at least the hellstrip and sidewalk are draining.

• Like 1

I just returned last evening from a quick roadtrip to Florida and back to PA - my DD#1 and I flew down and then drove my parents back home.  My dad hasn't been doing well, and after his visit to the Sarasota hospital decided that it was time for them to come home.

No traffic or health emergencies, so they are safely settled in at home!  whew!

It's gotten really warm here at home, so maybe tonite I will get to finish staining the floors of the Victorian Farmhouse!

Sable posted:  My sister owns this 12th century French manor in southern France. This week they found this stone path buried under years of soil and grass. So many treasures to be found in and around this time capsule.

Sweet! Do you have a floor plan?

14 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Sable posted:  My sister owns this 12th century French manor in southern France. This week they found this stone path buried under years of soil and grass. So many treasures to be found in and around this time capsule.

Sweet! Do you have a floor plan?

It's has a complicated interior. The tower houses the main marble stairway which leads to the second floor and all of the modern bathrooms on  the other floors.  The second floor is a great room which is open all the way to the top. The bedrooms on the 3rd and forth floors hover two side walls in an L pattern. I'll see if I can find pictures.

I sorted 6 bags of clothing to go to charity.  I decided that I am kidding myself that I am ever going to be a skinny minny again and if I do go that way, then I will treat myself to new ones!  ( how's that for rationalization?)    I baked a cherry pie, made meatloaf for dinner and did 3 loads of laundry.  Its snowing up on the big peaks ( 13,000 Ft+) and the sun is shining.   I am going to collapse on the couch.  
PS I made a sofa and chair for my Arthur!   :bear:

We noticed a shimmy in the truck as we were going to the monthly jazz jam session last night, so this AM we decided to go to the tire dealer in Robertsdale after paying our water bill.  The shimmy was far worse, so we decided to get the tire looked at and pay the bill on the way home.  The tire people took on look at the tires and discovered the tread was separating from the right rear tire, the one opposite from the one that gave us so much excitement two months ago.  They put the spare on the truck and ordered us a new tire that was to come in later this afternoon.  Since we have been looking to replace my venerable PT Cruiser with a SUV capable of pulling our littler RV we spent the afternoon waiting for our new tire by checking the used car places along the highway.  We ended up at a dealership in Foley where they had a two year old one-owner lease vehicle that is exactly what we have been looking for; so while I'm prepping the RV tomorrow for this weekend's camping trip (beginning Thursday) DH will be taking my old PT to trade in.  He plans to pay the water bill tomorrow.

• Like 1

After changing my vacation dates several times for job training this month, I ended up with the week I requested the first time- this week.  I needed it to finish building the deck on the front of the house.  I'm already way behind schedule because my DW calls me constantly, all day, every day, to do other things she could easily do herself.  Today I tore down the old steps so that she will realize that if I don't get it done, we'll have to use the back door, which isn't well lit or convenient.  The old steps were in such bad shape, I was able to tear them down in just a few minutes and without any tools.  i just rocked the railings a few times and the rotten wood just crumbled.  I'm worn out, but I have 4 days left to get as much done as possible.

I'm calling the geology department at UF tomorrow.  I thought I was going crazy dealing with one of the deck posts.  I installed them back in December, but for most of a day, I kept cutting 1" notches out of the far west post, only to see it grow another inch.  It was level with the other 4 when I poured the concrete, but it's now about 7" taller than the rest.  About a week ago, my kids thought they had found a dinosaur bone in the front yard.  I thought they were just playing around, but there is a 7 foot long boulder protruding about a foot high, less than 30 yards from the post.  I know we get sink holes, but I haven't heard of the ground pushing up in non-seismic areas.

NOLA Fox8 News is coming out on Tuesday to film the flood debris. I've agreed to go on camera. :blahblah1: We're hoping the sewerage & water board will have made the repair by then so we can all smile and be happy -- but there are only two work days left this week and we're expecting 7-9 inches of rain. :rain: It would be nice if they're here on Tuesday so the repair under way can be reported. (Notice the c***-eyed optimism in this post?)  

• Like 1

Oh, man. . . I sure hope that rain doesn't hit here on Friday or Saturday, I was going to ride to Bike Week in Daytona.

My DW worked a day shift today, so around the two little ones not in school yet, I was able to install about half of the deck boards before I ran out of deck screws.  An easy problem to fix tomorrow morning.

I haven't opened the box yet, but I'm already thinking of ways to make the walls hollow for wiring and other details I don't have difficulty with my houses, but may have with a kit house.  It will be a few weeks before I can start on it, and I really need to finish the Tudor, but I may try to work on both at the same time.

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Kathie, please clarify because I think I've missed this, which pipe is it that is leaking? Storm drain, sewage or fresh water?

i guess I'll be getting rain on Sunday.

Fresh water. Lovely, clear, clean water. Which makes me wonder if the leak might be contaminating the water supply to our apartments, although if the water is rushing out of the pipe, it's unlikely it's letting anything get in.

Holly, tonight's forecast pushed the rain back to late Friday, worst to come on Saturday. The storm seems to be moving more slowly than anticipated. Meanwhile, gale force wind warnings are in effect for southern Louisiana. The north has already experienced severe flooding.  

We are forecast for rain on Sunday, I'm assuming it's that same storm. Glad it's not Saturday as was forecasted earlier, because mama will have the grandbaby (well her great-grandbaby!), and I'm taking him to get pictures made. Of course, Sunday rain means my parents will have that to drive in to return him to south Ga.

Kathie, glad your situation will get some attention, hope it gets fixed soon, and right this time!

Jeremy, looking forward to seeing your Westville!

Tracy, we're having a lot of wind -- gale warnings -- and hazardous driving conditions as part of our forecast over the next few days. Check the weather carefully before your parents set out on the road on Sunday. You may have to encourage them to stay a day longer.