What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thanks Holly. Glad you're feeling better. I'm pretty sure mine is allery/pollen related as well. When I have a vehicle around noon, I'll probably head up and get some antibiotics myself. I have issues swallowing pills though,and antibiotics I think are the biggest pills on earth. :( Bad combination when you also have a sore throat! Worse part about being sick is having to sit at home and not be able to do anything productive.

Don't bother with antibiotics unless your resistance is low & you have a respiratory infection on top; I was coughing & blowing different colors, and that's been my cue to RUN get drugs ever since my third bout of pneumonia!

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather, Tracy!  Take care - I've heard of several people that ended up having pneumonia this year! 

Easter wasn't really on my radar this year either - with the issues with my dad and then two funerals recently...just was not on my mind.  So this week I thought I had better get ready!  Daughter asked me to bake a carrot cake for her in-laws gathering so I baked a cake for us too.  Last nite I went out and did what hubby calls "Easter Bunny shopping".  Just got a couple of things to make little treat bags for each family.  We are getting together at my daughter's house tomorrow (Saturday).  It will be the first family gathering at their new house - and the first Easter Dinner NOT at my parent's home!  With my dad's declining health, my mother finally relinquished the family dinners.

I made up some peanut butter filling last nite, so I guess besides frosting the 2 cakes I will be making some peanut butter eggs tonite!

Thanks Jackie! I have no desire to get pneumonia ever again. After I got it once, every fall and spring I'd get really bad sore throat and then a cough that would last for weeks. I finally figured out if I started taking antibiotics at the first sign of sore throat, the cough wouldn't come. Sometimes I get lazy and don't start on them... And pretty much every time that cough follows. :(

Peanut butter eggs sound wonderful! I didn't know that was something that could be made. Can you share details? :)

I'm not sure what we are doing for Easter dinner yet. It has always been at mama's, until last year we went to a friend's house instead. Family issues had gotten a little better, until my sister started being a brat again a few weeks ago. So I dunno, we'll see.

Tracy, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I'm going to bake the lamb cake today for delivery tomorrow. Going to have to Google Fabergé egg cake. Sounds lovely!

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Tracy, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I'm going to bake the lamb cake today for delivery tomorrow. Going to have to Google Fabergé egg cake. Sounds lovely!

Here's one that I made many years ago.  It wasn't super hard to make.  If I make one this year, I may pick a different design to make.  I saw pictures of a couple that I think I could do.

DCP05947.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebear said:

Thanks Kathie! If I tried to stand an egg on end... Well, it wouldn't be!

LOL ... they directions say to bake the bottom part in a bowl. The middle layer is baked in a 4-cup bowl with slanted sides, and the top is a 1-cup cupcake.  So it's a layer cake that sits in a cupped saucer pr shallow bowl so it doesn't tip over. It has a drinking straw spared down the center to help stabilize it, too.

The lamb is baked. It has to cool at least 4 hours before decorating because it is so thick.

Oh okay, well that sounds neat! And stable. Maybe one day I'll try that. :) I take 2 loaf cakes, freeze, then "carve" into an egg shape. The smooth shiny frosting is melted and poured over. Easy peasy.

Can't wait to see your lamb! I remember one year, many many years ago when I was a kid, my uncle bought both me and my sister lamb cakes for Easter. :) Mine was chocolate and hers was vanilla.

I'm still waiting on Jackie to post her peanut butter egg recipe! Let me search and see what I can find... Thinking maybe just like buckeyes, but egg shaped?

Here it is! The mouth is a bit wonky. The jell frosting and gravity had a bit of a discussion, I left it as is for fear that he'd look like he'd been punched in the mouth by the Easter Bunny if I tried to fix it.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=119266

• Like 1

Tracy, one year I made an Easter Egg cake when our sons were young and decorated it  to look like one of the diorama eggs, with a picture on one side of the cake with the frosting piped around it to make the "window".  The frosting in the recipe I used was ghastly tasting and I never made another one.

Tracy, you may want to make sure that what you have isn't flu. Believe it or not, it's running late this year and tons of people are sick from it right now. If it's anything viral, though, antibiotics aren't going to help, unless you get a bacterial infection.

Well, I just got through sending a letter to the editor of our local newspaper. My first ever. I have no idea if they'll publish it.

I went over to Chase today to exchange 2 dollars in pennies and a dollar in dimes for paper money. Guess what they said? That unless I was a customer, they can't exchange cash for cash. Talk about politicians not doing their jobs!

I went home and called back and talked to someone in their "leadership team". He verified what the teller told me. So I shot off a letter to the editor.

We'll see what happens.

Tonight I was on the Fox 8 news, being interviewed about a water leak that flooded the sidewalk by our house. I thought the video would be put on line, but it is an article. At least you don't have to suffer through the interview with me. :D

http://www.fox8live.com/story/31558348/fox-8-defenders-algiers-leak-gets-repaired

Now that the water leak is fixed, the sewer line in the next building is leaking raw sewage over the lawn, sidewalk, street, and has been since Monday ... phew! Apartment manager was slow getting bids for repair, so I called the state board of health yesterday morning. There was an inspector here in the afternoon, the area finally got roped off and the manager promised to have staff wash the bulk of the offal down the storm drain. Well, that never happened. Happy Easter, everyone. Don't mind the odor. I guess if the manager can't smell it from her place, it must not exist. 

This complex was built in the 1970s. When you put 30+ buildings on spongy southern Louisiana soil, there's bound to be some major settling and line breakage. We hope this is all for a while.

I'm a bridesmaid in a dear friend's wedding this summer, and this weekend she's having her bridal shower.  The brunch is tomorrow, and I've volunteered to make most of the food, so I spent all day in the kitchen today.  I made two quiches with pastry from scratch (a first for me), one lovely lorraine and one veg one with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, a a bunch of sausage rolls, a delicious sauce for baked eggs with mushroom and spinach, a french toast casserole, 5 packages worth of bacon and a heap of latkes.  The shower attendees (about 30 people) are mostly family -- hope they're hungry!   I kind of get a kick out of doing large scale kitchen projects (and basking in the praise if people like my food) so this was fun for me. 

• Like 1

That reminds me of the time I first made coffee cake (streusel topping) Emily. Now that's more of a winter thing, but I made it in the summer for the family reunion at the beach. I made two of them, 13 x 9 cakes, and they were gone by the end of the week. Lots of breakfast and midnight snacking ensued. They're real butter bombs, but so tasty...Easy to make, too. The base is actually made from cake mix. Mmm. Meant to make one this winter but never got around to it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I wonder what the Fox 8 Defenders would do about the sewage leak...

Since the plumber is supposed to be here on Monday, the leak should be fixed, so the Defenders aren't really needed. The Defenders are best at getting municipal and county employees to do what they're supposed to do and exposing fraud in both government and commercial entities. I do wish, however, that I'd seen the health inspector when she was here yesterday. I'm sure the manager didn't mention sewage backing up into the bathtub of at least one resident in Bldg 24. Seems to me the tenants in affected apartments ought to be moved someplace while the repairs are being made.

Woke up at 4 am and searched French phone book on line for members of family Tenette, one of Lloyd's lines that has us stonewalled. Found 25 individuals, most in one cluster in NE France. I plan to write to each of them in hopes of finding one who has done some genealogy and can help our own search. The oldest Tenette we know came to New Orleans just after the Civil War with his French wife. 

Anything to keep from doing the taxes!